Retrenched!!!!

CandiceM

Question

Hi all

My husband got news today that he has been retrenched or made redundant as the Ozzies call it. We have been in Perth now for nearly 12 month (next week) and this news has come as a big blow to us. We were just starting to sort out our docs for PR, as we were promised sponsorship... Now I don't know. We can't go back to SA as we have nothing left here, but if we don't find another sponsor by 16 January we might be forced to return. My advice to anyone on 457 visa apply for PR asap, as you really don't want to find yourself in this position.

candice

• Answers 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• CandiceM

• Eva

• polly

• Terence.H

Top Posters For This Question

Ai Candice and Arno, my heart goes out to you, trust that things will work out for the best even if it means relocation to a different city, after all it is better to remain in Oz as opposed to going back to a country where the future is so unsure. Candice in Canberra :thumbdown: Ok it is not by the sea but is a beautiful city and has it's own charm and given that all the government agencies are there ( i am not sure which industry you work in). You will make it work, we are a very adaptable species.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers, trust in God and that things will work out for the best.

Take care

Johan

Hi Candice

Thinking of you during this very stressful time.

Thought you might like to read an article I wrote on Canberra (hopefully it is attached).

All the best

Emily

Hey Arno,

At least there has been some movement. I totally hear you about the waiting its the worst. Hope you hear something very soon.

At this end Steve has had feedback from the interview he had yesterday, so much for 2 weeks, but I am not complaining! So they are very keen and have said they will offer us the position if we are sure we want to move to Canberra. Heck I will move to the middle of nowhere if it means staying in OZ. Pls they have said if the PR does not come through for any reason, they will sponsor us on a 457! Nothing is in writing yet, and until it is I am still very cautious. I will admit though that I burst into tears in the middle of the Hay street mall when I found out though, you don't realise how much stress and tension you have until someone gives you some good news. We will know more next week, but hope to be in Canberra in the new year. Will keep you updated as soon as we have something confirmed.

Candice

Hi Candice

Like so many others, I have followed your thread and every time hoped to see firm and final good news for you guys.

You and your family are in my prayers too and I'm sure it will work out for you. We are all waiting for a joyful outcome.

I am convinced you will love Canberra. I have not been there before (almost 10 years in Perth and love it here) but my son had gone there (ADF training) and he actually liked Canberra more than Perth.

We are off to Canada for 2 years (same company) and I'm already starting to get VERY homesick (Perth is home) and we have not even left yet. I am already looking forward returning to Perth but will see the opportunity as an "adventure". See the Canberra opportunity as an adventure too. You might even like Canberra more and may want to stay there permanently. If not, you can always return to Perth once you have PR.

Best of luck and keep the faith. It will all work out for the best!!

PhillipJ

CandiceM and Arno,

Thinking of you guys..

Candice, great to hear you good news! Keep on believing, everything will work out for the best.

P & L

HI all,

Quick update. Steve has two second (face to face) interviews in Canberra on Friday (including the company who have verbally said they want him). And confirming a third for a company based in Melbourne with an office in Geelong (apparently if we are offered the position we can choose where to stay. Anyone have info on Geelong?). Hopefully by this time next week we will have some more definate answers and I can come down from this cortisol based high.... We go for our medicals this afternoon, so hopefully that all goes OK. Has this all been going on for only two weeks feels like forever!!

Anyway I am starting to mentally prepare to leave Perth. I honestly think this is going to much harder then it was to leave SA. I am dreading it much more. And although we have no family here, leaving all our friends I think will be just as hard as if they were family...

Candice

Geelong doesn't seem such a bad place :lol: You can take a train into town. It is far enough from the city that Geelong doesn't seem like a suburb. I think it is closer to the surfing beaches. Know there are quite a few people who are living in Geelong. Query in the Victoria/Melbourne Community?

Glad things are looking up for you. :lol:

Woo Hoo!!!!!! This is great news Candi....., but I am gonna sure miss you guys especially my little Luke. The party is on you when the paper is sealed and signed.

Good Luck with the Medicals.

Cheers

Kathy

Geelong is not a suburb of Melbourne, but a town in itself. On the coast, the real coast, that is, and not Port Phillip bay, like Melbourne. There are some beautiful suburbs, and I think it would be a lovely place to stay. It has a motorway all the way to Melbourne, also a train link, so if you need to visit the big city, that is no problem either.

Good luck! All the prospects sound promising... I'm sure you'll be letting us know pretty soon, that you have landed a great position.

Leigh

I'm so glad it seems like you'll be able to stay in Oz!!!!!! That is good news!! Chin up -everything will work out fine...

I am really happy for you, things seem to working out nicely.

Good luck and my prayers are with you.

Flockie

Hi Candice

There is hope out there... I just found out that our new visa has been approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown::ilikeit: It is amaising how the case officer's attitude on the phone has changed, now that the visa has been approved. Before (during the application process) it was just a short to the point answers and the phone was down before you could put another question together... and now, this time he took his time in answering my questions and even chatted for a bit about OZ and all... :blink:

Holding thumbs for your hubbie's interviews. I know one chap that stays in Geelong and works at Ford in Broadmeadows/Campbellfield and drives in and out every day (up to 2 hours if the traffic is very bad)!! If he loves the place that much, then it can't be too bad. :o

Good luck

Arno

Hi Candice,

Have been following this thread with great interest (and a few prayers along the way). Please let us know how the interviews went?

All of us on 457 visas are feeling decidedly nervous...

Take care,

zorba

Edited by zorba

Hi Candice

There is hope out there... I just found out that our new visa has been approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whome::ph34r: It is amaising how the case officer's attitude on the phone has changed, now that the visa has been approved. Before (during the application process) it was just a short to the point answers and the phone was down before you could put another question together... and now, this time he took his time in answering my questions and even chatted for a bit about OZ and all... :blink:

Holding thumbs for your hubbie's interviews. I know one chap that stays in Geelong and works at Ford in Broadmeadows/Campbellfield and drives in and out every day (up to 2 hours if the traffic is very bad)!! If he loves the place that much, then it can't be too bad. :whome:

Good luck

Arno

Hi Arno,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you.

Steve flies to Canberra today (Thursday) and has two interviews tomorrow (Friday). And then he has another interview in Melbourne on Wednesday. Will let you know how it all goes soon!

Candice

I too am keeping a beady eye on this thread.... Good luck with interveiws Steve and keep us posted Candice!

Congrats on the visa Arno!

Hi Candice

There is hope out there... I just found out that our new visa has been approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ilikeit::ilikeit: It is amaising how the case officer's attitude on the phone has changed, now that the visa has been approved. Before (during the application process) it was just a short to the point answers and the phone was down before you could put another question together... and now, this time he took his time in answering my questions and even chatted for a bit about OZ and all... :blink:

Holding thumbs for your hubbie's interviews. I know one chap that stays in Geelong and works at Ford in Broadmeadows/Campbellfield and drives in and out every day (up to 2 hours if the traffic is very bad)!! If he loves the place that much, then it can't be too bad. :whome:

Good luck

Arno

Congratulations Arno and Caroline, oh what a relief for you guys.

I believe that this ball started going off track, and now with your great news, it is back on track, so hold Candice and Steve the ball is coming straight at you know and your turn is coming for us to hear all the good news on Steve's job offers.

And to the rest on 457's, hold on tight it's coming your way too!!

Good Luck Arno and Caroline, all the very best in your new found happiness, and Candice and Steve all the best, I am rooting for that ball to get to you as well.

Cheers

Kathy

Candice I'm sure your case will end up with a happy ending as in Arno and Caroline's. Really holding thumbs and praying for you guys.

Just got news today that a close friend of mine who is ex SA, but now an Australian citizen has been put on short time. From 40 hours to 16 hours a week. She works for a large recruitment agency in Brisbane. She's one of the lucky ones as others were laid off completely and other cut backs to come apparently.

This is a really scary situation for those of us on 457's. Role on 175 timeline!!

Candice

Sanette, a 457 is a work permit visa. You get offered a job in Australia, the company sponsors you for a work permit, the visa is issued usually for around 4 years. HOWEVER, it is a temporary work visa not permanent residence. If you loose your job for some reason, you have 28 days to find another sponsor or you have to leave the country.