Retrenched!!!!

CandiceM

Question

Hi all

My husband got news today that he has been retrenched or made redundant as the Ozzies call it. We have been in Perth now for nearly 12 month (next week) and this news has come as a big blow to us. We were just starting to sort out our docs for PR, as we were promised sponsorship... Now I don't know. We can't go back to SA as we have nothing left here, but if we don't find another sponsor by 16 January we might be forced to return. My advice to anyone on 457 visa apply for PR asap, as you really don't want to find yourself in this position.

candice

• Answers 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• CandiceM

• Eva

• polly

• Terence.H

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Overtaker,

Gosh I am so sorry to read that your Company has closed. I have heard so much bad news with all the retrenchments lately, very sad and very worrying for the rest of us, even with we are on a PR.

I can't help but wonder now that there has been so many retrenchments if it is not going to be harder now to get jobs because obviously the Australians will be preferred first before the South Africans for replacements.

But hope all will be well for you and your family.

Cheers

Kathy

Hi All,

Just thought I would give you all an update on whats happening with us. Its been extremely busy this last month as we have had a friend from SA come stay with us, as well as all the normal Christmas busyness.

We have now signed the contract with the company in Canberra, and Steve is set to start on the 27th Jan. We got a number of removal companies to come and give us quotes. I nearly fell off my chair when one came in at $12700. We have so little furniture, so I was a bit shocked by this amount. Thank goodness we found another company at $5400. In preparation for the move we have cleared out junk and have had a garage sale with another one in a weeks time.

I have put in notice on the house, and at a cost of $600 to break lease!!! Funnily enough the first people to respond to the ad are saffers from this forum, and they knew all about the retrenchment, so obviously I put to much detail on the www, hahaha. Unfortunately the agent is on leave till Monday, so we will only know near the end of next week, if the owners have approved someone. We move on the the 15th Jan, so only two weeks to go to sort out the house including garden and scuffs and marks on the walls etc. Does anyone know how to get watermarks off glass shower doors?? I want there to be absolutely no problems with this house when we leave, so that we get a good referral and get our whole bond back.

So we should fly out on the 17th Jan, and we have decided to spend some time in Sydney, mostly because my aunt has graciously let us stay with her until the PR comes through or the new company gets a new 457 visa. And has also offered us a car so we can drive to canberra to househunt. But since I have discovered that its only $60 one way, I might just fly in to do the househunting. So at least we save a small fortune (think $1500) a week in temporary accom plus get to visit Sydney.

The PR visa is still up in the air as we wait for PCC and the medicals to be approved. The PCC should be here on the 8th Jan, but Steve's last day is the 9th Jan, so we are hoping that his old company will give us a couple more weeks to get all the docs. They are all on leave till Monday, so Steve will speak to them in the new week. The only condition they had given us when we approached them before was to have a new job, which we do, so hopefully that will all go well.The application has already been lodged so we are hoping once the documentation arrives it won't be long at all before its granted.

So really not alot more definites then a month ago, but we are moving forward even if it is slowly. Not even the new year yet and I am already wishing it was March, and this would all be over!

So I wish you all a fantastic New Year, and here's to visas granted , moves happening and families settling all over Oz happily:)

Candice and family

That is such good news.

You must be very relieved that hubby has a signed commitment.

It is such a shame that you have all the annoyances and cost of the move ahead of you, but who knows, in 6 months time you may be telling us all how much happier the family is and how in the long run this eventful time was actually a blessing in disguise.

That is my hope for your family for 2009.

Blessings and happiness.

Congratulations ........I am sure the Perth community will b sad to see you go..........you have been so helpful to so many.

Best of luck in your new city.

SG

Edited by SandgroperWA

Does anyone know how to get watermarks off glass shower doors?? I want there to be absolutely no problems with this house when we leave, so that we get a good referral and get our whole bond back.

Hi Candice,

Well that is good news. It is fortunate you are able to move without too many roots in WA... (I fear that our roots are to deep, so we will have to stay and look for something)

Anyway - vinegar works really well on shower doors to remove the watermarks.

We paid a company called House Proud to do a full "vacate house" clean - I think it was about $525 (including the 5 carpets steamcleaned at $25 each - which has to be done) - so its $400 for the rest of the 4x2 house - and the agents were more than happy with the result. If I were you and if you have the funds available - I would go that route - far less stress, and at least you've got the receipts to show you've done it professionally.

cheers

Richard

Good to hear that things are looking up, I cannot get my head around those moving costs! still thinking in Rands I suppose!

Have a great new years eve party and let that stress go for a while, all the best for 2009.

Hi Candace

So sorry to hear. I think this is not just bad news for you but for everyone on a 457. I sent our application to Perth this morning for PR, just hope we can get it asap.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope for the best. Also let us know what your hubby does, maybe there might be someone somewhere that can pull some strings for a jobsponser.

Thinking of you

Wilma

Hi Wilma

Sorry, we are new to the use of this forum. We will be relocating to WA during January 2009 on a 457 sponsorship, lock stock and barrel with no intentions of coming back out of free will. How soon after setting foot on Ozland can we apply for PR? Keep well and a prosperous new year to all.

Etienne Vorster

depending on a number of factors, you can apply for PR before you leave RSA...

Candice & Steve, I've just read your thread with huge interest and concern! I can just imagine how stressfull it must have been on you guys. I'm sooo happy for you that all worked out fine with the job. :rolleyes: I hope & believe you're gonna be very happy in Canberra, and good luck with the move!!! And remember to still keep us up to date okay.

Arno and Caroline, congratulations on your new job as well and all of the best to you too! :ilikeit:

It will be good to know how everything's going with your PR applications as well.

We've also only been in Australia for 5 months now on a 457 and with all the sudden economic uncertainty we really also need to start applying for PR asap.

We bought a house just over a month ago and now we realize maybe the timing wasn't so great. But how could anyone have known the economy would turn like this? It seems our sponsor's contract is going to be reviewed in a couple of month's time, so I think my hubby (and I of course!) is going to have a real, underlying stressfull time ahead. All I suppose we can do is pray, do the PR thing and hope that all with turn out okay.

So please, your advise and news on how everything's going & your PR application process, is really going to be helpful.

I'll be watching your thread with huge interest still!!

Naomi

Hi Wilma

Sorry, we are new to the use of this forum. We will be relocating to WA during January 2009 on a 457 sponsorship, lock stock and barrel with no intentions of coming back out of free will. How soon after setting foot on Ozland can we apply for PR? Keep well and a prosperous new year to all.

Etienne Vorster

HI WELL Im also new to this forum but know a friend of mine are now busy with their PR and they have only been here 4 months unfortunately im not sure about the whole process.

we are in perth too so feel free to ask us anything

kind regards

lenie

Got news back from SA, that my police clearance certificate is ready. Steve's should be soon behind. So things are moving on yay!!!! One less thing to stress about.

Candice

Hi Candice

My family and I are relocatig to Geraldton WA during mid to end Jan 2009 and I came accross your news. I hope everything goes well and depending on what line your husband is in, he can also contact a very helpful gentleman at the Western Australia Local Government Associatio by the name of Richard Struik at rstruik@walga.asn.au for a possible submission of his CV.

All the best

Etienne

Hi All,

Just a small update. Our ENS has agreed to employ us until our PR is granted which is a huge burden off my shoulders. The catch is that its unpaid leave. So obviously the sooner we have the PR the better. We are still waiting for the PCC from SA for Steve, and we are waiting for both our medicals. The senior doctor has been on leave and both Steve and I are B medicals. Its been 6 weeks already so hopefully this will be sorted out very soon. We arenow just preparing the house and will be flying to Sydney next Sat. I can't believe that its so soon, there is so much to do before then, and of course can't wait to hurry up this whole process right to the point I have the PR visa in my passport.

Candice