Retrenched!!!!

CandiceM

Question

Hi all

My husband got news today that he has been retrenched or made redundant as the Ozzies call it. We have been in Perth now for nearly 12 month (next week) and this news has come as a big blow to us. We were just starting to sort out our docs for PR, as we were promised sponsorship... Now I don't know. We can't go back to SA as we have nothing left here, but if we don't find another sponsor by 16 January we might be forced to return. My advice to anyone on 457 visa apply for PR asap, as you really don't want to find yourself in this position.

candice

• Answers 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• CandiceM

• Eva

• polly

• Terence.H

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Candice ,

I feel for you .My son who is in Melbourne, also got retrenched today !This is not as bad for him ,as it is for you,as he is at UNI but he is still really devastated , luckily is on a permanent visa so will start looking for something else .I wish you all the best with finding ano sponser soon !

P.S.Not that it makes any of us feel better but I also heard that my cousin who lives in South Africa was retrenched today, so I think it is happening everywhere.

Yes, everywhere. Not good at all.

http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=15065

Yes, everywhere. Not good at all.

http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=15065

GENEVA — Twenty million jobs will disappear by the end of 2009 due to the impact of the financial crisis on the global economy, a United Nations agency said yesterday.

Construction, real estate, financial services, and the automotive sector are most likely to be hit, according to the International Labour Organisation’s (ILO) estimate, which is based on International Monetary Fund (IMF) projections for the economy.

The toll could be even higher if IMF projections are revised, said ILO director-general Juan Somavia.

“We have to talk about the financial crisis in terms of what happens to people and what happens to jobs and enterprises,†he told reporters.

Somavia said the ILO, which brings together governments, employers and workers, wants to steer discussions about resolving the crisis toward job creation and steps to promote the “real economyâ€.

“It would be tragic to respond to a sub-prime crisis with sub-prime policies,†he said.

The ILO does not yet have a regional breakdown of projected job losses, which Somavia said will take global unemployment to 210 million in late 2009 from 190 million last year, the first time it has topped 200 million. But countries with large domestic markets that do not depend heavily on exports will be able to weather the crisis better, he said, citing China, where exports make up only 11% of the economy.

It is alarming that global unemployment has stayed at the same levels despite the strong economic growth seen between 2002 and 2007, said Somavia, who flies to New York this week for talks with the heads of all U.N. agencies.

He said resources should be pumped into the economy to stave off or mitigate recession, concentrating on employment-intensive sectors including small enterprises. The financial sector should also be steered back to its fundamental function of lending to entrepreneurs, he said.

I agree with you concerning a 457 visa. It might be the quickest way into Aus but unfortunately the quickest way out as well. I'm also on a 457 and things have changed dramatically since the financial slowdown. My employer uses many people on 457 and fully aware of the concerns we have. They are now helping us all to the get ENS PR.

All best, things will work out for you!

Oh Candice, so sorry to hear about this.

Keep at it and apply from dusk to dawn. I am sure your hubby will get something again.

Will be holding thumbs for you guys!

Nats

So sorry to hear this. We are also on 457s and have been concerned about something like this happening to us. I wish you and your family the very best of luck in finding a new position and hope to be reading that it has all worked out for you soon.

Very best of luck.

Oh Candice and Sterve, We are so sorry to read this, things are so tough at the moment for everyone, I cannot believe this has happened to you guys, this is so not right, if there is anything, no matter what, Graham and myself are right across the road, you just call me!!...................

Cheers

Kathy

So sorry to hear this. One plus is that you are here in Australia and that your husband is in a skilled field. You will find something.

This situation is one of the reasons we decided to hold off on changing 457 sponsorship a few weeks back. With so much uncertainty, we just couldn't risk the chance of something going wrong. Our PR is lodged, so we will just hold out for that instead of tempting fate.

Stay strong and positive and turn what looks like a mountain ahead of you into a mere stumbling block.

Candice

hi all,

after a very busy night online, we have sent tons of Cv's off to numerous recruitment agencies. The good news is that we got one phone call last night (1/2 an hour after we sent off his CV) and the phone has been ringing almost non stop since 7.30 this morning :blink: The company has confirmed that they will still pay for our PR, and that their visa company will organise it. We are still waiting for this in a formal letter. we are still waiting for communication from their visa company with advice on bridging visas etc.

Steve is on the phone now with a company who is wanting to organise a interview today or tomorrow :) at the moment we are just trying to look at it from a more positive view and trying to be enthusiastic about the changes in the furture. the pros are that we all the jobs we have applied for offer more money overall, and that we get a bit of a severance pay as well which if all goes according to plan will be like a christmas bonus, and that PR will be paid and that we won't have to work it off for two years.

the cons are obviously the chance we go back and the uncertainty, and i don't do uncertainty very well at all, so stressful times ahead for at least the next 4 weeks, until something is signed.

Thanks again for all the support and PM's we really do appreciate it.

candice

Hi Candice

Glad things start to happen for you guys. Just want to encourage you, my husband also lost his job after 5 months, we stressed a lot. After he send he's CV out the response was great, he went for interviews and received a new job, he is in the new job for 2 weeks now. We applied for a new 457 visa when he left the other company and within a week received our new 457 for 4 years, with the help of our agent in Melbourne. We are also starting our prosess for PR now. We prayed for you all this morning after I saw your post yesterday and believe everything will work out for you guys.

Linda

HI Candice

Been following your thread. Just wanted to wish you & your family well. I like your positive approach.

This could b a blessing in disguise. Yes, uncertainty is not good, however prayer gives hope and comfort. Know that I am praying for wonderful news al round for you and your family. Please keep us updated.

Flockie

Edited by FLockie

Some light at the end of the tunnel Candice!!, all your hard work will pay off in the end and probably for the better!! keep the faith and stay focused.

I am so glad to see things are more positive today Candice.

We have been in a very similar position and it was stressful but worked out better in the end.

If one of the new companies does sponsor you for a new 457 a bridging visa is automatically granted once the new visa is lodged( you will see this when you check progress online)

I have to say that DIAC are very suportive in these situations, they understand the value of skilled workers and would prefer those skills stay in the country.

It sounds to me that your current company are really trying to do the right thing by you which is great.

Good luck, try not to worry too much( I know it is difficult!) and keep us up to date with progress so we can all keep you in our thoughts.

AndreaL

what an eye opener for us all...will keep you in our thoughts and prayers, try to be positive, very hard sometimes, keep us posted...this could happen to any of us, so we will all support you in any way we can.

I have been a bit worried about my job, mobile banking, my work has really quietened down, a month ago I was seeeing average 5 new customers a day, now some days I dont have any appointments..scary thought!!!

hi all,

after a very busy night online, we have sent tons of Cv's off to numerous recruitment agencies. The good news is that we got one phone call last night (1/2 an hour after we sent off his CV) and the phone has been ringing almost non stop since 7.30 this morning :) The company has confirmed that they will still pay for our PR, and that their visa company will organise it. We are still waiting for this in a formal letter. we are still waiting for communication from their visa company with advice on bridging visas etc.

Steve is on the phone now with a company who is wanting to organise a interview today or tomorrow :) at the moment we are just trying to look at it from a more positive view and trying to be enthusiastic about the changes in the furture. the pros are that we all the jobs we have applied for offer more money overall, and that we get a bit of a severance pay as well which if all goes according to plan will be like a christmas bonus, and that PR will be paid and that we won't have to work it off for two years.

the cons are obviously the chance we go back and the uncertainty, and i don't do uncertainty very well at all, so stressful times ahead for at least the next 4 weeks, until something is signed.

Thanks again for all the support and PM's we really do appreciate it.

candice

Hi Candice

"Sounds" very positive. Pleased to "hear" that things are loking up for you and Steve. :thumbdown::)

Kind regards

Manny

hi

well yesterday's news sounded quite positive today has not brought such great news. basically all the agents have said that no-one is hiring in Perth at the moment, so it seems that we will have to move regardless out of perth, i am gutted by this as we have just settled and built up a network of friends etc. The other bad news it seems that we will be unable to get a bridging visa, as these are only available to people whose visas have expired not whose visas have been cancelled. The visa person says that the PR visa should be available within 2 weeks of lodging which seems incredibly quick, obviously the only hold up is the documentation that we are still waiting on from SA. so praying for a miracle that SA is able to get all the docs quickly

candice

Hi Candice and Steve

Just to say that you are in our prayers. I think all 457 visa holders are holding their breath at the moment (including ourselves)!!!!

Best wishes

Debby and family

Hi Candice. Just want to let you know we are thinking of you and praying!

Well we finally heard from Magma, about our boxes that have been sitting forever in SA waiting for the container to get full. Its full now and the container is apparently on his way. it sets sail today arrives on the 13/12 with two weeks for delivery and clearance, which could put it exactly in time for it to go straight back to sa haha, gotta love the timing of this.

Steve has an interview this afternoon, at 2 with a company hoping to open a new division etc, they actually approached him, when they heard that he had been retrenched. So those of you who pray, please keep him in mind. I will let you all know when we have something concrete.

Thanks all

Candice

Still praying and hoping for the best for you guys. Just don't give up hope, it will all be ok at the end.

Thinking of you

Wilma

Hi Candice

Praying for the Lords hand upon Steve and that he has favour with those interviewing him. Also that you will have the Lords peace during this unsettling time. May His will be done in your lives.

Looking forward to hearin ggood news from you guys soon!

God Bless

Tarryn

Well we finally heard from Magma, about our boxes that have been sitting forever in SA waiting for the container to get full. Its full now and the container is apparently on his way. it sets sail today arrives on the 13/12 with two weeks for delivery and clearance, which could put it exactly in time for it to go straight back to sa haha, gotta love the timing of this.

Steve has an interview this afternoon, at 2 with a company hoping to open a new division etc, they actually approached him, when they heard that he had been retrenched. So those of you who pray, please keep him in mind. I will let you all know when we have something concrete.

Thanks all

Candice