What would you have packed if you had space left in container?

FAB

Hi

All my Cadac stuff you can find fittings in aus to convert

Best of luck with the move

Bullet

The only thing I wished I had brought over is a big box full of real South African presents for my new Ozzie friends on their birthdays... they love the Ndebele womens crafts, and those dolls with the brightly coloured beads, and Zulu love letters. I would definately bring a box full of that with.... Also African pillows, with lions and zebra on the print, and table cloths from Durban...the Ozzies go crazy for them, you'll be their best mate for life...

And if you are coming to the Gold Coast, bring me one, please.....?

and me too ;) - I agree with Elize - anything Africany....

Hi

All my Cadac stuff you can find fittings in aus to convert

Best of luck with the move

Bullet

Tell me where Bullet - I have a cadac gas bottle and skottel - hasnt been touched for 8 years - cannot get the fittings here on the Gold Coast

Hi,

I am confused!? The relocating companies say that I can not take lampshades with feathers :whome:<_< , baskets from Woolworths :blink: or my Coir carpet, and yet ,from what I have read here ,it seems that as long as the item was /is commercially produced ,one is allowed to take it in the container ?Please could someone clarify for me ! :blink:

Another question - I see there are some people who took over cleaning material and toothpaste etc. - is that not a problem with the heat of the container? :D

Thanks in advance for everyone’s help! :lol:

I am confused!?

Donne I get confused even by the info on the forum, it seems that some people take stuff without a problem that others have had a problem with or have been told no to take! Very confusing....

Feathers that are shop bought are NOT supposed to be a problem as they have been treated. And lots of people seem to take their shop bought baskets without a hassle, just the side of the road stuff that it a problem. So who knows.... :D

Donne I get confused even by the info on the forum,

Just remember that everything expressed on this forum is someone's unqualified opinion. :D Check the AQIS site for official information

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/enterin...ralia/cant-take

EDIT: this link is more applicable http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/enterin...ving-emigrating

Edited by Jordy

• 1 month later...
Funny enough the things we chucked were the cheapy plastic things. We figured plastic stuff like washing baskets, laundry baskets, dustbins etc would be cheap anywhere in the world. NOT SO! I am really surprised at the price of plastic moulded goods. A plastic wash basket that costs R60 in RSA costs $30.

I would bring along a huge box of like two years supply of toileries. Sensodyne toothpaste costs R7.99 in RSA and $9.99 here. Thats eina!

Kids clothes as said before but get them shoes for the next few years growth. A very cheapy pair of kids shoes is $20. Bought a pair of Ackermans quality children's slippers today for $18.95.

Jordy, are we allowed to bring in toiletries? Thats such a good idea!

Hi

Just checking are toiletries ok to be let into Oz?

As i plan on buying abt 6 months supply if I can.

We already have an OZ cupboard and are not opening any new stuff as we wanna keep it nicely packed etc.

I buy arb things like a 8 pack of cellotape, bought new toothbrushes, dish clothes etc.

When you shop at Macro things seems awfully cheaper :ilikeit:

Edited by Smartie

Of course you allowed to bring toiletries for personal use. Of course you not allowed to bring it in if you are going to resell it. That would be 'importing' and is a different story. To make it clearly obvious to customs do not leave it shrink wrapped in Makro's bulk six pack wrapping if you know what I mean.

Hi Fern,

Are you saying that the duck feathers that go into the cushions (for the lounge etc) will not be allowed??

We just purchased 6 new ones at R260 a cushion - so I am sweating now....

pls let me know thanks :whome::ilikeit::blink::ilikeit::lol::ilikeit:

I'll have them lol

Fern,

Are you saying that the duck feathers that go into the cushions (for the lounge etc) will not be allowed??

We just purchased 6 new ones at R260 a cushion - so I am sweating now....

pls let me know thanks

Janjan ,

Duck feathers are fine in cushions ,as they are treated ,but normally cushions for the lounge are not filled with feathers! I was referring to Ostrich decorative feathers ...........

• 1 month later...

Tried to follow but could not find any advice on:

What would be the situation with bringing real antiques like 'voortrekker' wagon chests and 'vootrekkerkappies' etc from that era?

These are handmade, authentic and irreplaceable.

Any similar experiences to share?

:rolleyes:

Bruce2B

Antiques fall under different rules. I am quite certain you can take those things. Phone them for clearance. All the best. Wish I had things like that I could have brought.

• 2 months later...
We brought heaps of cleaning materials - mainly to fill in the gaps - and all the drawers had spare bedding, cushions and toilet paper (heehee).

Hi

Our container is leaving in 2 weeks and we also bought heaps of cleaning materials (window cleaner, handy andy, dishwashing soap, omo etc) . Now the container people are telling us we can't take any.

Can we take it or not, or does it officially say somewhere that we can't take it?

Wantbetter

Bring good quality linen and towels, as you can keep those for ages until required. I strongly suggest some chest of drwaers as you will need those here. We personally never used them in South Africa, but rely on them in Australia. ANd I second the suggestion about African curio type items. Even if you don't appreciate them in SA, you will be amazed how that changes after being away for a while!

• 8 months later...
If I pack 50 boxes of toothpaste, will customs not charge import tax? Hubby only wants to use Aquafresh and I gather that only SA shops sell them for a fortune.

Again, I would like to have clarification on the pool table thing too. Has anyone moved theirs?

We only used aquafresh - but you get used to using the colgate mint here and although it is not the same - tell hubby he will get used to other brands... thats what moving is about - change..

Just watch out with packing too much of one thing!!

I have been warned that you WILL be charged as they think you are going to re-sell the stuff!

Take 2 tubes of toothpaste each in your big luggage and pack 10 in the container...that should last you a year or so...

I packed lots of toiletries,,,but they were loose..not bulk-packs like from makro..

Lol ..... By the way you guys are packing it sounds like you are moving from a 1st world country to a 3rd world country ;-).... Aus have pharmacies, and bedding... Infact you will will get better quality at lower prices if you shop arround... Let me give you a few examples:

52" Panasonic Full Hd tv $2300 (with a free WII) roughly R16k this you wont get this for under R20k in SA. I used to buy Jeep clothing in SA, there are JEEP shops here too and the prices when converted to rand is cheaper than in SA and the label read "made in South Africa" ok I know it comes from China .. But I stocked up on clothes before we came over because I read nonsence like this thread.. Jeep T-shirts $20, I bought a Levi Jean last week for $50... Do the math. We furnished our 2 bedroom apartment with realy quality stuff: Panasonic HD plasma, LG washing, Miele dryer, LG double door fridge, surround system, leather couches with lazyboys, webber gas braai, quality diningroom tabels, tallboys, good queen size beds for both rooms with King Koil mattresses, all kitchen and cuttelery stuff, vacuum cleaner, two study desks with leather office chairs, all bedding , everything brand new with aussie warrentees for less than the price of a container ( R91k to be exact) AND we got the stuff the same day... No camping on the floor for three months... One thing to add is that we are a newly married couple so did not have much good stuff in SA... If you have newish quality stuff I understand brining it with but really you do not have to "stock up" on anything... We have shops here..

My 2c

Edited by sysie

We paid less than $9000 for our container with insurance...a decent queen bed costs $1000 , so a container is very worth it if you sit and think about the things you forget to count in..such as ornamental items..kitchen baking dishes etc (you pay $30 for basic lasagna dish at coles)...

Dont go all out and buy like mad...but there is no harm in spending rands in SA on basic item, then you dont have to spend rands in australia while job-hunting..i found our output is much lower due to packing those few extras in the container..

Also..if you going to bring a container..make the most of it...pack in your favourite undies...buy those few extra items at woolies...especially for the kids..the variety is good here..but toddler jeans for eg are $20 at target...thats R140...alot when you not earning dollars yet..

I packed in lots of extras and dont regret it for a second!

Enjoy the shopping!

Hmmmm - OK, I brought a super-special orthopeadic bed (I have thoracic arthritus and scholiosis - so a good bed is essential) - anyhow, I only paid $600 for a queen. :ilikeit:

When we came over, we did our calculations - based on our container quotes then (which admittedly seem to be a bit higher than now - our quotes were between R100k and R120k), and the fact that none of our stuff was brand new, we opted to come with just suitcases. We brought our entire household for the price of a container. Bonus is that everything is new and under guarantee.

However, if you are coming with a container, you are already forking out quite a lot of money, so it makes sense that you fill it as much as possible to get the most value for your money. I agree with the buying linen and towels - not that these things are enormously expensive over here, but it is something that lasts a long time.

Re food, toothpaste and cleaning stuff etc - the South African shops over here (there are many of them all over Perth) stock all the items that people "miss". Although we made a point of arriving and "moving on" to try the new Aussie stuff and find new alternatives, I still occasionally go to the SA shop and buy some Pronutro and braai salt for old times sake. :ilikeit:

Although you can buy some SA branded stuff in the SA shops, I would recommend that you come over with your SA supporters gear as it is harder to come by here. (eg, SA flag, SA jersey etc - necessary for sporting events!!! :ilikeit: ).

African curios is also a good idea, but becareful re bringing wood products into Aus. If it is untreated, you will have to fork out a lot for fumigation.

Not a container filer, but before you leave - go on a "mini-tour" of your City - go see all the tourist points and take loads of pics with your family. I must say that I really should have done this - coming from Cape Town, I don't really have any memorabilia of the great sites, since I lived there, it was seriously old-hat. Now, when meeting new friends and people, they really want to see what Cape Town is like and I have nothing to show. It would have also been great for my daughter to help her remember Africa.

We would have bought a few Bauer pans. We got ours refurbished before we left but it is looking a bit tired now.

haven't seensomething quite the same here.

We have slowly replaced with high quality but expensive cookware

Hi

Our container is leaving in 2 weeks and we also bought heaps of cleaning materials (window cleaner, handy andy, dishwashing soap, omo etc) . Now the container people are telling us we can't take any.

Can we take it or not, or does it officially say somewhere that we can't take it?

Wantbetter

Check here

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia