What would you have packed if you had space left in container?

FAB

I don't think you can take feather pillows & duvets - "animal products"

I think it has to be synthetic

Can someone please clarify

Fern

Hi

I brought my duck-down feather duvet en 6 new pillows in and nobody said a word. On all the wood, grass, bamboo ect. they mean raw untreated material. Obviously the feathers in duvets have to be treated at some point before it can be sold to the public so it would be fine. But I must say with that we forgot to put it on the list on the documents from the moving company, we've put all the wooden furniture and 2 treated carved fish on but never the feather pillows and duvets.

Wilma

Guest Vermeulens

Euneze,

Ons wou 'n pêl se sleepwa koop en saam vat. Die een container company het gesê "geen probleem en ja, dit sal in pas, ons pak sommer binne-in!"

die ander company het dadelik gesê dit was nie ons s'n vir ten minste 'n jaar nie, so sorrie, ons gaan invoerbelasting betaal. Dink maar mooi voor jy een koop.

Hi Kevin,

I can not believe you managed to take a box of food. All the container companies I got quotes from, refused to take any food, cleaning materials or any liquads. If I understand the AQIS website correctly, it is ok to take food, just declare them for inspection. I'm confused. Do not know what to do.

On AQIS they say nothing about paint or candles, but the container companies do not want to pack those?

Mara,

Thank you for the link

Em

Edited by Vermeulens

has anyone taken musical (string) instruments? I have a violin i want to take with. Its varnished on the outside, but not on the inside. do you think that will be a problem?

has anyone taken musical (string) instruments? I have a violin i want to take with. Its varnished on the outside, but not on the inside. do you think that will be a problem?

Hi

Dankie vir die inligting, Em.

Ek het nog nie op Mara se website gaan kyk nie, maar is die invoerbelasting op 'n sleepwa so baie?

Groete

Euneze

Musical instruments is no problem as long as it is clean, I brought my organ with which was my dads and I just opened the back and vacuumed it. They had a problem with my fridge but not the organ.

Good luck

wilma

• 1 month later...

Is anyone packing from UK? It is hard to find information as the topics relate to Rands!

As asked on thread just to give an idea of what fitted into our 40 footer apart from a LOT of kitchen stuff & clothes, books, stationeries etc etc:

3 Leather Lounge sets (Not even older than a year and costly here)

10 Seater Diningroomset with 2 huge, tall glass cabinets

2 Microwaves

Double-Door Fridge/Freezer

Upright Fridge/Freezer

Kelvinator Bar Fridge

Tumble Dryer

Toploader Washing machine

Dishwasher

2 Double Beds & Headboards

1 King Size bed & Headboard

6 Bedside Tables

1 Big Coffee Table

4 TV's

Soundsystems

Bigscreen-set

Piano :blush: heavy but it's here !! & Guitar

7 Bar Stools

Big Green Clean Machine

Wooden Desk & Stool

Dolly Varden

Big Wooden Glass Cabinet & one smallish one

Antique Coat kinda cabinet

Small Antique Writing desk that opens up

Wooden entrance table

2 Footstools & Leather Ottoman

Some of hubbies electric garage stuff, tables etc etc .... AND there was over 2 metres space left ..... Moral of the story .. Although you'll be able to buy all of the above here as well, if you have it and you're taking a container bring it.

Just remember that sometimes the houses here are smallish and 3/4 of our stuff's still in the shed. At least now we don't have to dish out $ or converted R to go buy it. It's there for when needed and if it'll fit into a bigger house later (hopefully). In process of applying to buy over here ....

Bring your 'barbie' :ilikeit: (bought 4 burner Sa. for about $450 ugh) and patioset (got a 6-seater Sa. as well for about $750 double-ugh) :(

We're outdoorsy people so really missed having that!! Also think about bringing a wheelie-bin (HAD to buy one at about $60), skateboards, scooters, rollerskates if you have, sporting raquettes, (? spelling).

Buy linen, clothes, bathroomsets and towels. Believe me they're gonna bug you in any case for fillers for open spaces when packing! Good excuse also to stack up on those. You won't be sorry. O and don't forget the tallboys as mentioned on thread unless hubby can fit racks into the cupboards over here. i also packed some extra medicines and toiletries for first couple of months.

Remember those SA to Oz adaptors. I dunno if one gets the actual Ozzie type of plugs in S-A (never looked). It would've been great to've been able to fit those onto everything beforehand. Maybe someone knows if they're available in S-A?? But in any case bring a couple of extra multiplugs and a lead also regardless. Oh and remember the 'vlieeplakke' !!!! (Can't think of the English word right now :blush: )

I miss the yellow stoflappe, motorbikes, daughter's bicycle, gholf sets, our Mr Price bamboo bins & baskets & lampshades, our sleeper patioset (still !) ... :blush:

Just a little something else ... try getting used to the idea of maybe driving automatic cars and using gas stoves ;)

Naomi

I would have bought one of tose little black motorbikes for my little one. Haven't seen anything like that here. Anyone seen them?

We brought a violin with, that is over 50years old - varnished on outside but not inside - did not have any problems.

I would have bought one of tose little black motorbikes for my little one. Haven't seen anything like that here. Anyone seen them?

South African shop in Joondalup - Perth - but they very expensive.

Also saw one at the South African shop in Templestowe. Can not say how much it costs sorry!

QUOTE (polly @ Sep 8 2008, 10:58 AM)

Know of someone selling them on Gold Coast, see www.ozzietoys.com.

As asked on thread just to give an idea of what fitted into our 40 footer apart from a LOT of kitchen stuff & clothes, books, stationeries etc etc:

Naomi

Thanks Naomi, very helpful for those of us still having to pack up. :)

Eva

2 Microwaves

Upright Fridge/Freezer

Kelvinator Bar Fridge

Tumble Dryer

Dishwasher

6 Bedside Tables

1 Big Coffee Table

4 TV's

Soundsystems

Bigscreen-set

Piano :ilikeit: heavy but it's here !! & Guitar

7 Bar Stools

Big Green Clean Machine

Wooden Desk & Stool

Dolly Varden

Wooden entrance table

Some of hubbies electric garage stuff, tables etc etc .... AND there was over 2 metres space left ..... Moral of the story .. Although you'll be able to buy all of the above here as well, if you have it and you're taking a container bring it.

Just remember that sometimes the houses here are smallish and 3/4 of our stuff's still in the shed. At least now we don't have to dish out $ or converted R to go buy it. It's there for when needed and if it'll fit into a bigger house later (hopefully). In process of applying to buy over here ....

Bring your 'barbie' :) (bought 4 burner Sa. for about $450 ugh) and patioset (got a 6-seater Sa. as well for about $750 double-ugh) :(

We're outdoorsy people so really missed having that!! Also think about bringing a wheelie-bin (HAD to buy one at about $60), skateboards, scooters, rollerskates if you have, sporting raquettes, (? spelling).

Buy linen, clothes, bathroomsets and towels. Believe me they're gonna bug you in any case for fillers for open spaces when packing! Good excuse also to stack up on those. You won't be sorry. O and don't forget the tallboys as mentioned on thread unless hubby can fit racks into the cupboards over here. i also packed some extra medicines and toiletries for first couple of months.

Remember those SA to Oz adaptors. I dunno if one gets the actual Ozzie type of plugs in S-A (never looked). It would've been great to've been able to fit those onto everything beforehand. Maybe someone knows if they're available in S-A?? But in any case bring a couple of extra multiplugs and a lead also regardless. Oh and remember the 'vlieeplakke' !!!! (Can't think of the English word right now :ilikeit: )

I miss the yellow stoflappe, motorbikes, daughter's bicycle, gholf sets, our Mr Price bamboo bins & baskets & lampshades, our sleeper patioset (still !) ... :blush:

Just a little something else ... try getting used to the idea of maybe driving automatic cars and using gas stoves ;)

Naomi

Thanks Naomi,

This is exactly what i am looking for. We will be taking a 40 footer and now that i see what you can fit in i think it is so worth it. You are right - i think that you should put as much stuff in as possible - even silly little things add up when you have to buy them again on the other side.

Thanks for sharing this.

Help asb! ek wil weet of enige iemand al probleme gehad het om medisyne oor te vat. Dis nou soos goed vir naarheid, maagpyn ens.? Wil nie n klomp goed koop en het probleme by die lughawe nie.

Help asb! ek wil weet of enige iemand al probleme gehad het om medisyne oor te vat. Dis nou soos goed vir naarheid, maagpyn ens.? Wil nie n klomp goed koop en het probleme by die lughawe nie.

Hi Koosdup

Ons het in ons handbagasie 'n toiletsakkie vol medisyne gehad, bv disprins, pille vir naarheid, maagpyn, Corenza C, suigtablette, verskillende soorte salf ens. Ons het dit verklaar in Aus en hulle wou dit nie eers sien nie. Baie mense op die forum het gese dat hulle medisyne met die container oorgestuur het sonder probleme. Ek het solank begin om 'n fotostaatboks vol medisyne bymekaar te maak. Ek ruil net gereeld die medisyne met nuwes om. Mens moet dit net verklaar en dit is goed as jy 'n lysie van al die medisyne bo-op die boks kan vas plak.

Gesondheid!

Euneze

Hi There

I dont know if you have left already , but we filled in documents with Pickfords and they sorted everything. We had to pay the duties , but that was it.

SA shop in Sydney has the plastic motorbikes. Are you in Hunter Valley. If so let me know I can pick one up for you next time I am down there

hallo

ons het medisyne oor gebring.ons het n voorskrif by ons dokter gekry.geen probleme gehad nie. ;)

Hi

Just thought of another thing I would definately have bought new and packed in the container if I only knew then that it would be hard to find one in Oz:

A Waffle maker!!!!!!!

Can't find one anywhere in Kalgoorlie, apparantly they are only sold "seasonal". I would kill for one now because the craving is just getting unbearable for fresh homemade waffles.

So if you want one, go and buy yourself top of the range and bring it with.

2 Microwaves

Upright Fridge/Freezer

Kelvinator Bar Fridge

Tumble Dryer

Dishwasher

6 Bedside Tables

1 Big Coffee Table

4 TV's

Soundsystems

Bigscreen-set

Piano :ilikeit: heavy but it's here !! & Guitar

7 Bar Stools

Big Green Clean Machine

Wooden Desk & Stool

Dolly Varden

Wooden entrance table

Bring your 'barbie' :ilikeit: (bought 4 burner Sa. for about $450 ugh) and patioset (got a 6-seater Sa. as well for about $750 double-ugh) :ilikeit:

Remember those SA to Oz adaptors. I dunno if one gets the actual Ozzie type of plugs in S-A (never looked). It would've been great to've been able to fit those onto everything beforehand. Maybe someone knows if they're available in S-A?? But in any case bring a couple of extra multiplugs and a lead also regardless. Oh and remember the 'vlieeplakke' !!!! (Can't think of the English word right now :ilikeit: )

I miss the yellow stoflappe, motorbikes, daughter's bicycle, gholf sets, our Mr Price bamboo bins & baskets & lampshades, our sleeper patioset (still !) ... :ilikeit:

Just a little something else ... try getting used to the idea of maybe driving automatic cars and using gas stoves :ilikeit:

Naomi

Hi

The above post was for a 40 ft container. Can I assume that I can put more or less half in 20ft?

We can't manage to sell our house, but now have an offer to rent it out furnished (not ideal but better than nothing). This will mean that we can't take a 40ft anymore as planned. We thought we will take a 20ft and fill it up with the most sentimental furniture, books, toys and perhaps buy some things that are expensive there. We at first thought to just take some boxes with a company like Seven Seas, but we have some large paintings that need to be crated. Also, our sponsor will pay for the relocation costs (tax free), but say that if they give us an allowance to buy furniture there it will be taxed. I just don't know how much will fit in a 20ft; the removal companies say I must make a priority list, but that's difficult as I will have to buy some stuff.

Please give me an idea of what you think we should take. What would you rather take, eg a bed, a dining table etc (considering we have to buy things here, so would prefer to buy what is more expensive there). Also, if we buy eg a dining room set, how many seats would be ideal for an average Ozzie house, single beds for kids?, Queen bed vs King etc as the houses are smaller?

OR, should we just buy there and pay the tax (how to get the paintings there though?)

Thanks everyone.

D

I would suggest you take the things you won't need immediately, e.g. diningroom set, tv unit, bookcases, chests of drawers, etc. Leave the beds, then buy those here so you have somewhere to sleep while waiting for the container.

We got most of our three bedroom into a 20ft. We left the beds , lounge suite and diningroom table. We took three bookcases, four rather large chests of drawers, three bedside tables, three linen chests, a big bunk bed, three single matresses, two bean bags, a rocking chair, a double door fridge, chest freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, large microwave, tons of books, clothes, photos, linen, toys and sentimental stuff.