It actually happened to us....

Brisbie

Hi Brisbie

We are in waiting for our visa and I must say I have had so many doubts as to whether we were just too hasty and that things aren't so bad here after all but I tell you your ordeal was a sore reminder of how vulnerable we are. May this change and move replace the sadness with joy and uplift you and your family that all the past memories will be wiped clean. I am new on the site and so was wondering where in Aus you are going?

Be blessed and may you all be safe and travel safe.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikej

• Michele R

• Milada (Ms Maritz)

• Jeanne

Hi

We are new to this forum but we read the articles and were terribly disturbed by it. Absolutely terrible. Your ordeal has helped many of us back on the right track....that is to OZ. Your story has certainly focussed my thoughts.

Everything of the bestto you and your family and enjoy the safe life.

Our love

Andre & Liz

Hi Brisbie,

Just discovered your post. What a horrific thing to go through. Your nightmare is something that many of us dread happening to our families here in South Africa.

What they did to you is NOT NORMAL behaviour. South Africa is filled with many sick and damaged people who for whatever reasons of their own, has led to them becoming completely desensitised. Life is cheap in Africa.

I'm outraged by what you went through and wish we could do something more about it. Sorry if I haven't said the right things, I'm not a trauma councellor, but I can say that we are all with you in spirit. You are not alone.

Don't look back and live your new life in Australia in the knowledge that it is probably the safest place on the planet you can place yourself and your family. We went for an LSD trip to Sydney and only arrived back on the 13th March. I can assure you that it IS really as good as everyone says it is. Everything works and people are looked after. You can just sense the general feeling of safety and relaxed atmosphere. We walked around the CBD after 10pm and saw lots of well dressed single women also walking around deserted streets unhindered.

Go for it, you have your lives ahead of you. Don't look back!

André S

Ek en my familie is so jammer oor dit wat gebeur het.

Ons bid vir julle, en God sal julle sterk maak om die proses

deur te maak en 'n nuwe begin te maak.

Julle is darem nog almal saam.

My hart gaan uit na julle!

Van ons almal wat hierdie berig gelees het.

Ek bid die bloed van Jesus oor julle familie se lewens af

Gaan in vrede, julle verdien nie om so iets deur te gaan nie.

• 3 weeks later...

Only two more sleeps and Brisbie and family are safely out of there.

They have always been in my thoughts and although their computer is probably already in the container I hope they know we think about them.

Once in Australia if you read this Brisbie please let us know how you are getting on.

Michael

Shocking!! Those filthy ANIMALS deserve to rot in hell!!

Brisbie, you have a beautiful family and you should be so proud of your lovely children! My teenaged son is very protective over me, so I can only imagine how your boys felt seeing their parents, especially their Mom, in danger...

Best wishes for your new life in Australia. We are all thinking of you during this difficult time.

I hope that those people who are considering going back to SA will reconsider. Sharing your story may save a few lives.

zorba

Our hearts, strength and prayers go out to you.

But please please for the sake of your children, all of you must go for trauma counselling. you have taken your children to a safe place full of new possibilities, counselling can help them get back what they need to appreciate and enjoy life in a new world where they are safe.

GSI

Hi Brisbie

I pray that Father God, who loves us and cries with us, will protect your family and friends and pave a smooth road ahead for you going forward. I pray that he will secure you and your family and that emotionally, psychologically and physically, you will heal to the point of forgetting what has taken place. Our destiny and purpose should at all times be routed in Him.

K.rgds

Lynn

I cannot express my horror at your family's ordeal and am lost for words, other than to wish you only my very best to you and your family in your new home and and take care of each other. Life is for the living, so go and do just that in Australia.

And hopefully Brisbie and family are safely out. What a relief it must be and I wish them a happy and safe future in Australia.

Michael

And hopefully Brisbie and family are safely out. What a relief it must be and I wish them a happy and safe future in Australia.

Michael

Yes Mike they must be flying right now ... Have a safe trip and a brand new beginning WE envy you !!!!

Chris & Natasha

Brisbie and family

Hope you have a wonderful flight, and we know you will be sooo happy and blessed in Oz! Enjoy this time with your family, and thank God that he removed you all from ZA and all its anger.

Regards,

Hallo Brisbie

Ek wil net se hallo aan julle. Ek is ingelig oor julle stories voor dit in die nuus was, omdat ons in die selfde area gewoon het. Ja dit ek wat altyd so lekker daar by TATZ gesels het. Ek is net baie bly julle is almal veilig en dat die kinders nou veilig is. Ek hoop julle gaan sommer baie lekker in OZ bly en baie gelukkig wees.

Kyk mooi na julle self, hier sal julle gelukkig wees sonder die vrees.

Baie Sterkte en Groete

Stephanie

My heart aches for you!

I pray you had a safe flight & landed safely in Australia. I hope your new life assists you in putting your ordeal behind you!

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what happened with Brisbie and family and if they are happily settled now?

Really hope so!!!!

Andre

One of there family popped in at my parents shop and said they are okay. Hope they are feeling safe and happy after the ordeal they went through.

Good luck to them, I am sure they will let us know once they have settled down.

• 1 year later...

Sjoe, saw this article on Beeld's website today. I was wondering how they were doing...... it is terrible that after a year they still struggle to forget that terrible ordeal. Wish them all the best for the future.

http://jv.news24.com/Beeld/Suid-Afrika/0,,...2542211,00.html

Yes it happened to us!!!!

Which made us make this vast move........we were victims of crime twice, till

one night after alarming our house.......because we were going to sleep, the

sh*t hit the fan!!!!!!!

Gun shots outside our house, us thinking it's a cars back fire...how wrong!!!

Skelms had tried to break in to a business a couple of doors away from us...

and to cut a LONG STORY short.....these armed trash jumped onto our roof,

because they were wanted,sniffer dogs were brought into our premises!

One was caught, with a gun at his temple!!!! this happened just outside our

daughters window, so we all saw, so close up!!

THAT WAS OUR DECIDING POINT!.........Get the hell outa here!

Yes I blame society, but damn, a life is worth more than a couple

of rands.............

EDUCATE AND BE PATIENT......hopefully results will show!!

Erica :ilikeit:

My grandmother was tied up while a guy helped himself to their household items while my grandfather went out on an errant a while back. She's never been the same since. :)

Stories like these really breaks my heart, and while I can't wait to be out of here, I know I'm always going to worry about my remaining family.

I am so sorry this had to happen to you.

I always said I want to leave South Africa Before I start to hate it so that I can take the good memories with me.

I am so sorry you have to take the bad ones with you to!

Edited by Cramer

Been there, done that, and live with the guilt everyday !! I know I sound otherwise but these incidents make me boil !!!

IMHO - This family will live with those "scars" for many many years. It does not leave you, sounds, smells, etc startle you - I have always pushed counselling on this site - because my daughter and I live with this. It affects your everyday living !

No mother (or father) ever wants to see their 12 year old daughter (son) with a gun held to their head by a balaclava clad hooligan whilst another hooligan is threatening to shoot you too if you dont follow instructions ! The incident seems surreal at the time and happens rather fast, but the scars are deep.

Sorry I dont see SA ever getting any better regarding crime - my husband wanted to leave years earlier - I stalled the move. I feel that in SA it is only a matter of time before it is your turn !! We had our fair share, but this was the last straw.

Goodness, how weird is that.. was having coffee this morning with two other South African girls and we were talking about this family and now it has popped up again on the forum... weird!

What happened to the Lubbe's is beyond a nightmare. This thread was their personal journey and the support that the forum family gave them. I would not want to see this thread deviate off the original topic especially a year after it happened. Therefore it would be better if it was closed.

Message to the Lubbe's: If you would like this thread reopened at any time please pm a host who will do so for you.