The worst song you ever heard

Dax

I've tried to compile what I consider to be the five most crap songs in the history of popular music - excluding the worthy examples already put forward by my fellow forum members,

No. 1 Wired For Sound - Cliff Richard

2 Take The Pressure Down - John Farnham

3 Ebony and Ivory - Paul Mc Cartney and Stevie Wonder

4 Yes, We have No Bananas - Billy Jones

5 The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You - Bryan Adams

What a ghastly line up of turgid melodies performed by complete tossers!

I'm 100% with you, especially with numbers 2 and 3. :cry:

The only poeple who really likes Ebony & Ivory are the VERY politically correct.

But also, Chris, I'll try and link Gene Rockwell's "Heart" to this thread. Mate, if you've never heard sentimental crap in the extreme, that will be it... :) Although taste differs :)

But then again, what possesed Bryan Adams to record The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You. It waaaaaay down there with Ge Korsten's "Liefling" (IMHO)

Sorry if I just used some lose examples, actually, i think you have a very strong case with your 5 shortlistedof numbers. :(

Cheers,

dax

Thge latest from Jeremy Mansfield ...

is not what I would call a musical masterpiece, it does the job I suppose

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=O5A5Qlc4GiM

Oh well the guy seems patriotic, and i'm sure i detected some rhyming in a part of the lyrics. Not that the tune is earth-shatteringly original... :D

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dax

• Blossom

• Andre S

• Nilo

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronwyn

As usual I don't 'get' anything that comes out of Jeremy Mansfield's mouth. Is that cup called a chariot? :holy: Or are they singing 'carrot'? I can't listen to it again, it will be like watching the movie on The Ring. I will probably not live to tell the tale.

One South African performer I don't miss in the slightest - Jeremy. I'm sorry but I cannot stand him. :ilikeit: It's beyond me that he has a following. Rude and talentless and with a very poor vocabulary, it seems. Makes his living wearing bad shirts, writing so-called cookbooks are getting plastered.

Edited by Bronwyn

If you take Jeremy Mansfield, take a still photo of him and you study his face you'll see the following:-

Small, rude little eyes,

Flabby jaws, due to overeating,

Weak mouth, with saliva in the corners,

weaker chin,

thick neck and fat shoulders,

but overall you get the impression of nastiness, ready to make fun off you, foul, potty mouthed and a womanizer. A heavy drinker and proud of it.

Above all, he divorced his wife of many years to marry someone he met on his 'shows' and he stopped greeting his daughter every morning.

Nee wat, vat weg, gooi 'n lap oor en bel die polisie!!!

Kd.

PS. Hey Dax, dis nou 'n lekker topic, man! Good on ya.

Edited by Kannidood

KD - Jan Riempies is TOPS !! geniet hom ook gee ek my ouderdom weg hier ek het nou al gedink van watter song ek nie van hou nie maar dis te lank terug maar vir een of ande rede spring Mmmmiiiiisssssiiiippppiiiii op !

Guest Bronwyn

Mandy if you mean Pussycat's version of Mississsippi, I have to disagree, it's groovy, man! Check it out:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbi2i0j0k9M

I still remember people singing this at a talent competition on the beach in Durban in about 1978! Does anyone remember the stage was in the shape of a giant beachball ?

Those were the days, LOL!

PS. Even tho I was only a baby I remember it.... :)

Edited by Bronwyn

Something else that gave me a chuckle in the 70's was a song dedicated to one Anneline Kriel (South African Miss World by default) :holy:

It was sung by Richard Loring, (do any of the forum's "children of the 70's" remember him?) reputedly madly in love with her, until she spurned him for one Solomon Kerzner :thumbdown:

"suh suh suh sweeeeeeeet Anheliiiiine!"

Sherbet, if IQ's lower than 50 could sing...

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

After careful consideration and with christmas fast approaching, my most hated song has to be "Little drummer Boy" pa-ram-pa-pam-pam....

Actually, anything by Boney M. irritates me.

Yes, I agree Mansfield is a loathesome oaf (include his not funny sidekick comedian) but there is another 5 DJ who is even crueller than him. Just can't remember the name. He used to rip off his sports guy and intimidate him constantly, thinking it was funny. Look at me, I'm big and chicks dig me, so I can behave like an ass and everyone will think I'm cool. Not cool.

After careful consideration and with christmas fast approaching, my most hated song has to be "Little drummer Boy" pa-ram-pa-pam-pam....

Yes, I agree Mansfield is a loathesome oaf (include his not funny sidekick comedian) but there is another 5 DJ who is even crueller than him. Just can't remember the name. He used to rip off his sports guy and intimidate him constantly, thinking it was funny. Look at me, I'm big and chicks dig me, so I can behave like an ass and everyone will think I'm cool. Not cool.

Its something one often notes nowadays - the "Shock Jock" phenenomen.

I often wonder just how many people tune in to such stations where one listens to conversations/declarations that consist moslty of mindless cr@p, if not blatant profanities and obscenities. :)

Mindless and silly DJ's... very much on par with mindless silly songs... ;)

Andre, you mentioned Boney M - that number of their's Rasputin - RAH RAH Rasputin, Russia's greatest love machine will always make me chuckle, especially the video version. :ilikeit:

Dax

Hi Dax,

I don't know that one. Now I feel bad about ripping into Boney M.

I guess music taste is a varied and personal thing. Most often people attach good memories to a particular song and sometimes it isn't a good song at all. Whenever I hear Bles Bridges' "You are the eagle I am the wind", it reminds me of my matric year and my best friend who played it constantly for a laugh BECAUSE it was uncool. He was such a joker and tragically died in a 'plane crash at the age of twenty four. It was ironic that Bles died not too long afterwards.

I'm sure many people here have fond memories attached to Boeremusiek as well. I doubt we will reach consensus on "the worst song ever", as it is such a personal thing. I hope no one is offended and we can all play along.

My first ever favourite song was "Hip to be Square" by Huey Lewis and the News. Needless to say, kids in the mid 80's didn't think it was cool and listened to "Modern Talking", Belinda Carlisle and other much cooler stuff!

When driving in traffic, I'm always amazed when I see someone who paid good money for a Ssang Yong. Just more proof that tastes differ.

André

No worries about Boney M Andre! :D

I can quite relate to the thing of different tastes. Since the early 70's "Mamy Blue" by Charisma was one of my favourites along with Ballyhoo's "Man on the Moon",but I tell you, my 17 year old son hates the songs!

He thinks they are heaps uncool...

But on the other hand one of his favourites of that era is Khe San by Cold Chisel.

Just go to show! :ilikeit:

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

I'm with you on that one... and anything by Justin Timbersqueak... someone should tell him that they took his sexy back a long time ago.

The latest one I can't stand is being promo'd like mad on TV, on that "12 PM" CD, where some tone-deaf model wannabe in a bikini goes "oh la la la la la la la la la", occasionally answered by an equally vapid looking male going "la la la". The *entire* song seems to go like that. And people *buy* that :ilikeit:? :D

Seems to be there's not much new being made these days, it's all just cover versions and old stuff from the 80's being remixed to the hilt...

Mandy if you mean Pussycat's version of Mississsippi, I have to disagree, it's groovy, man! Check it out:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbi2i0j0k9M

Thanks for that one Bronwyn - it brought back some memories, they were a band from the Netherlands weren't they? :ilikeit:

Sorry if I'm off topic here but there was another Dutch Rock Band, Frijid Pink (Pink Freedom) that came up with a not too bad remake of "The House Of The Rising Sun"

Here's how it sounds on You Tube

I am with wislon regarding some of those remakes, but this one was quite worth it, that is if you were into 70's types of psychedelic music. :D

Cheers,

Dax

Edited by Dax

Ja, hierdie topic behoort op 'funnies'! Iemand het gepraat van Richard Loring....Anneline Kriel....

Sy het probeer sing ook.....'I put on my romeos', onthou julle? Funny, ne? Crickey!!! :)

Kd.

A couple of songs I detest!

K-Fed's Popozao -- Glo my dis ongelooflik bad!!!!

My Humps BLACK EYED PEAS -- lekker in die begin, maar genoeg is genoeg

Macarena--- LOS DEL RIO

Achy, Breaky -- Heart BILLY RAY CYRUS

Ice, Ice Baby -- VANILLA ICE

We Built This City -- JEFFERSON STARSHIP

Jenny from the Block -- JENNIFER LOPEZ

I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) -- MEAT LOAF

I'm Too Sexy -- RIGHT SAID FRED

She Bangs -- RICKY MARTIN

And my ultimat worst song of all time would have to be.....

Barbie Girl --- AQUA

Hi Guys & Gals,

Nice topic! At the risk of being thrown with vrot naartjies or whatever, I have to say I cannot stand any music by Bles Bridges, or Patricia Lewis for that matter. That "Suicidal" load of bull gives me the heeby-jeebies, and my kids just love it!! Jurie Els is not a bad guy, he should just have chosen a different career, something like selling insurance...just as long as it does not include singing. My all time worst song is "My heart will go on" by Celine Dion. I switch off the radio when she comes on -- just cannot stand the torture.

On another note: Does ANYONE know where I can find a copy of the English version of the song "Cindy" by Peter Sue & Marc? I can only find a version by The Cats, but it is not the same. The chorus went something like: "Rock & roll has changed you baby, into a lovely little lady, someone else will come and call you, Cindy"

I have been searching for this for many years now...

Greetings,

Dreamy

On another note: Does ANYONE know where I can find a copy of the English version of the song "Cindy" by Peter Sue & Marc? I can only find a version by The Cats, but it is not the same. The chorus went something like: "Rock & roll has changed you baby, into a lovely little lady, someone else will come and call you, Cindy"

I have been searching for this for many years now...

Greetings,

Dreamy

I'm Too Sexy -- RIGHT SAID FRED

And I believe that was a One Hit Wonder ;)

Dax

Hi Guys & Gals,

Nice topic! At the risk of being thrown with vrot naartjies or whatever, I have to say I cannot stand any music by Bles Bridges, or Patricia Lewis for that matter. That "Suicidal" load of bull gives me the heeby-jeebies, and my kids just love it!! Jurie Els is not a bad guy, he should just have chosen a different career, something like selling insurance...just as long as it does not include singing. My all time worst song is "My heart will go on" by Celine Dion. I switch off the radio when she comes on -- just cannot stand the torture.

Dreamy

Agree with you you on all four, especially Bles. En, wat ek nooit kon verstaan nie is dat hy altyd vol sale getrek het, meestal tannies met sterre in hulle oe.

Dax

Edited by Dax

And I believe that was a One Hit Wonder :whome:

Noooo! They continued to torture our ears with gems such as "Deeply Dippy", "Don't talk just kiss" and "You're my mate."

Ooh, I just thought of another annoying song. Don't know who sings it but it goes something like McDonalds McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Pizza Hut. Think it was by the Campbells ;)

What about I-Tunes or something like that wouldnt they have it - usually they will offer a variety of versions by different artists and you could just get the one you want.

Thanks for the tip, but I tried that, also tried a few of these illegal download sites but they don't have it. It was very popular in SA in the seventies and early eighties, as many babies were named after it!

Agree with you you on all four, especially Bles. En, wat ek nooit kon verstaan nie is dat hy altyd vol sale getrek het, meestal tannies met sterre in hulle oe.

I lost my respect for him when he said something sleazy to my cousin, from the stage - in a fully packed hall!

We used to be in the "lucky" position that our local Russels (or was it Beares?) store in the little teensy weensie town we used to live in, used to have these concerts where they would invite "popular" singers, and try and sell overpriced furniture. That is how we got the privilege to meet Gene Rockwell and Heart, Bles, and Danie Botha and his Wenners..... a good thing I got out of that town!

Geetings,

Dreamy

Edited by Dreamcatcher

Kd Dankie ! ek het gister op pad huis toe aan haar gedink en ek kon nie op die naam van die "liedjie" kom nie. Die seven single wat sy uitgebring het met die foto van haar op die cover sulke blou blink ek dink sy het 'n "short" aangehad met sulke blink blou stewels !!!

another thought if you know who the record company is contact them and ask where you can get it, if anyone should know they should.

That was the master of emphysema Just plain darren 'just plain derrems' I used to call him He also fancies himself a sports commentator for supersport. They fired him from 5fm and he then went to work the morning show in Natal on the main radio station there. I was so upset, because I thought I was finally rid of him, then i get assigned to a project in natal and there he was again!.

He used to have these disgusting coughing fits hacking up a lung on air because of his smoking it was so gross you could hear the phlem, and then play britney spears music all the time, but he was just way too old for his audience. They way he always made fun of john walland (sp?) was disgusting. I would just turn off the radio. John now works with Alex Jay at highveld doing the sport.

I too HATE all jazz!!!!

Can't stand: Umberellaa ella ella

Anything by Katie Melua or Freshly Ground (10 million bicycles AAAAAAHHHHH)

Oh yes I also hate that umbrella song, and anything from katie manure. Gets my husband so upset when I dont say melua. But that is what is sounds like Manure!

And I never liked jazz much. Its like the band got into a fight as to what song to play so they each just played the one they wanted all at the same time!

Guest Chris Rimmer
That was the master of emphysema Just plain darren 'just plain derrems' I used to call him He also fancies himself a sports commentator for supersport. They fired him from 5fm and he then went to work the morning show in Natal on the main radio station there. I was so upset, because I thought I was finally rid of him, then i get assigned to a project in natal and there he was again!.

He used to have these disgusting coughing fits hacking up a lung on air because of his smoking it was so gross you could hear the phlem, and then play britney spears music all the time, but he was just way too old for his audience. They way he always made fun of john walland (sp?) was disgusting. I would just turn off the radio. John now works with Alex Jay at highveld doing the sport.

Oh yes I also hate that umbrella song, and anything from katie manure. Gets my husband so upset when I dont say melua. But that is what is sounds like Manure!

And I never liked jazz much. Its like the band got into a fight as to what song to play so they each just

played the one they wanted all at the same time!

Hey a bit off the topic I realize - but has anyone noticed how humourless John Robbie is? He does the AM drive time on JHB Talk 702? A recent exchange between he and I went like this:

Topic: The Bermuda Triangle - it it for real?

John Robbie: 'Chris joining us from Melbourne Australia - and he's actually sailed in the area. Well Chris - do you believe all the stuff they say about the Bermuda Triangle?'

Chris: 'Well John I don't really know but when I was over there I did take a small jam jar of water from the triangle area which I kept for several years as a souvenir. After a while, I got a bit bored with it and poured it down the toilet. Amazingly - I haven't needed to flush the toilet ever since!'

John Robbie:.........................pause...........er.............thanks Chris..............hang up. (end of conversation)