The worst song you ever heard

Dax

Some time ago we went through our memory-banks regarding our fond memories of 70's & 80's music. Why don't we all have a whinge about songs that we actually hated or simply could not stand :)

I'll start....

A while ago I rummaged through my South African CD collection, and on a CD I barely glanced at since bringing it from RSA, was a track by one Gene Rockwell and his song "Heart"

If there was ONE song from my teen-age years that i detested it was THAT one. For me it was one big pretentious stuff-up, from the fake sound of a beating heart in the back-ground to Rockwell sobbing in the microphone. If stomach ulcers could sing, it would have sounded like that... :D

Then there was the song "Troepie Doepie", sung by a female singer whose name I forgot, but unfortunately not her song. (Not that I have anything against Afrikaans music, I'm Afrikaans myself) Ostensibly the song was meant as a tribute to "Ons-manne-op-die-grens" - only the far-far majority of the lads hated the song. They regarded it as something meant for Boy Scouts or Voortekkertjies. I once heard a soldier remark: "why don't we dump plane-loads full of 'Troepie Doepie' tapes all over Angola. I bet if the Cubans hear it, they'll swim or walk on water back to Cuba."

Edited by Dax

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dax

• Blossom

• Andre S

• Nilo

Top Posters In This Topic

"Help" by the Beatles!

Most Afrikaans songs send chills down hubby's spine but there is one that is particularly unbearable to him and it's called Skroemba... or something like that. :D Anyone know who the artist is? I'd like to hear that song again. :):D

Hi,

Amazingly - that's what it's all about - smaak!!

My tannie het altyd gesê - "Tussen mooi en lelik en lekker en sleg,

kan niemand stry nie!"

Troepie doepie was gesing deur Carika Keusenkamp en Skarumba deur die Suidwes girl, Juanita du Plessis

I hate jazz - it's awefull!

Groete

JJ

"Help" by the Beatles!

Jaaa, I can still hear old John lennon singing that song as if he is really scared of something :)

Guest Bronwyn

Hoe se mens dankie - by Jurie Els (Don't know how to do the kappie :ilikeit: )

What a naff song. I can't stand it. Such a blatant suck-up to all the old tannies.

And I also hate jazz.

Hi Dax,

Bronwyn, enige, enige, enige iets van Jurie Els! Jig! En ek is 'n 'ou tannie'. Sy song (weet nie watter flop nie) was gekies as die goorste van die jaar in S.Afrika. En dan sing hy nogal van sy vrou, Hestrie, wat 'n pretensiose gemors. G'n wonder hy moet in Warmbad voor Checkers staan en handtekeninge probeer uitdeel nie. :ilikeit:

Goeie topic, Dax.....ek kan daai Celine Dion song van die Titanic ( wat is dit nou weer?) nie handle nie! :(:P

Groete,

Kd.

Edited by Kannidood

"Don't feel like Dancin" byt the Scissor Sisters.

I cannot stand that song. The worst part about it is that when the song was popular in a particular country last year, I happened to be in that country, so I heard it on the Radio for 8 months solid. From UK to USA to SA to Aus...

:ilikeit:

Guest Bronwyn

Haha KD, hilarious. :(

BTW we went to see Casper Rasper live in Pretoria once, and he can't stand Jurie either. Anyway, he was ripping Jurie & Hestrie off about performing at the opening of a new Meat World store in Springs. I nearly fell on the floor I laughed so much.

What a way to make a living, huh?

The Celine song was ' My Heart will go on'. Actually anything by Celine is on my 'hated' pile. I gave my French CD away to my mother-in-law. :ilikeit:

Guest Chris Rimmer
Haha KD, hilarious. :(

BTW we went to see Casper Rasper live in Pretoria once, and he can't stand Jurie either. Anyway, he was ripping Jurie & Hestrie off about performing at the opening of a new Meat World store in Springs. I nearly fell on the floor I laughed so much.

What a way to make a living, huh?

The Celine song was ' My Heart will go on'. Actually anything by Celine is on my 'hated' pile. I gave my French CD away to my mother-in-law. :ilikeit:

'Where Do You Go To My Lovely' would have to rate as the most naff song in music history for what my opinion is worth. I'd rather have electrodes attached to my testicles than hear the nasal droning of the singer reapeating the line:

'He gave you a race horse for Christmas

And you keep it....for a laugh

Ha ha ha ha'

Truly awful and vividly hedious. Didn't stop Nova FM including it on their Top 100 Great Songs of all Time though. Just goes to show - there's no accounting for some people's taste.

He must really hate the song!

I always say they make some adverts purpously annoying so that we'll remember it!

Hey how about Jim Reeves song's?

Bron, Nilo/milo,

OMG! What about Barry Manilow...yikes!

Kan ek julle 'n geheimpie vertel, moenie vir MOTH se nie......

Hestrie is familie van my MOTH....MOET VIR NIEMAND SE NIE, HOOR.

( Ek smeek met trane oor my wange, los vir Jim Reeves uit. Vir een of ander bizarre rede is ek mal oor hom)

En ek kan Rihanna en haar musiek(?) nie verdra nie. Waar het jy gesien mens sing met so plat stemmetjie oor sambrele en karre en dan kry jy nog 'n award ook daarvoor?

Groete,

Kannidood.

My particular "hate song" from the eighties: Sunshine Reggae. What a load of .....

KD,

Jy en my LM kan dan maar saam na Jim Reeves luister! Ek kry maagpyn! Sorrie!

Lovies

Nilo/Milo

'Where Do You Go To My Lovely' would have to rate as the most naff song in music history for what my opinion is worth. I'd rather have electrodes attached to my testicles than hear the nasal droning of the singer reapeating the line:

'He gave you a race horse for Christmas

And you keep it....for a laugh

Ha ha ha ha'

Truly awful and vividly hedious. Didn't stop Nova FM including it on their Top 100 Great Songs of all Time though. Just goes to show - there's no accounting for some people's taste.

Good one Chris! :D

I once heard a rumour that Peter Saarstedt could not quite speak English, and that he did not quite knew what he was singing...

Don't know if it's true though.

OMG! What about Barry Manilow...yikes!

Groete,

Kannidood.

Aaaaagh!!! Barry Manilow... Gawd, If in-growing toenails could sing... :holy:

"I write the songs, I write the songs...." If I ever win the Lotto, I'll pay him to stop "writing the songs." ;)

Edited by Dax

Ons het 'n sê- ding in die huis as iemand vreeslik vals sing of sommer heel common is: Bliksem hom met 'n Jurie Els CD!! ( Casper woorde)

Casper het eenkeer by 'n show gesê dat Jurie seker eendag sal vra wat hy ( jurie) gemaak het om so verniel te word en Casper se antwoord sal wees : 'n F@kk&n CD, Jurie ! Jy't 'n CD gemaak!

Onthou julle Danie Botha se song: Wenners! ?

Sw

Edited by Suidwes

"Don't feel like Dancin" byt the Scissor Sisters.

I cannot stand that song. The worst part about it is that when the song was popular in a particular country last year, I happened to be in that country, so I heard it on the Radio for 8 months solid. From UK to USA to SA to Aus...

:holy:

Sorry, mis-understood the point of the thread - thought you meant any music, not just older music... ;)

:lol:

Hey Julle, Moenie so praat van Tannie Jurie nie. Ek het nou die dag hier in die koerant gelees dat die ou nou sy huis in die mark het in Pretoria en blykbaar New Zealand toe gaan trek. Hy het glo eiendom daar. :holy:

So jong asb ontvang hom en reel 'n konsert vir hom :lol:;) Sorry julle. :D

Cheers vir eers

Sheila2Oz

Sorry, mis-understood the point of the thread - thought you meant any music, not just older music... ;)

No worries, HansaPlease, post any pet hates you have! :holy:

I sort-of mentioned old Gene Rockwell because his song and the way teenagers slow-danced toit in the 70's only because it was when i was a teenager, and i remember it so vividly.

And the funny thing about those memories is that at the time many people LOVED that song :D

Cheers,

Dax

love these topics (maybe because emmigration is proving to be such a mission !)

there are a couple of songs that 'do my head in' for various reasons.

Lets start with a song that was mentioned by Chris (I think) & I on the 70/80s thread a few weeks back

Woodpeckers from space by Café Society ... what a waste of good vinyl.

The The Beatles (again) with Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da ... err ... Duh (1 guess where I think Desmond can stick his barrow ?) probably due to me having to play it over & over whilst learning to play the guitar as a child, that & "Little boxes ..."

more lately what about "Umbrella" eh eh eh by Rihanna ... mindless 3 chord drivell