Time of year to start school & cost

Groover

Hi there,

We are busy looking at our options in moving over to Sydney and am interested in the following issues wrt schooling for our kids (9 & 12).

1. I know the school years roughly overlap with SA (Jan to Dec), but would moving during the course of the year be a major disadvantage for our kids?

2. If we were to apply to a school for our kids, what time of the year do schools handle applications and make their decisions?

3. Is there a monthly contribution to school fees and other costs like sport gear, books etc? I know each school would differ, but trying to figure out what the monthly cost for schooling would be.

Thank you very much.

J

New kids arrive at our school at the beginning of each term throughout the year (and sometimes a few weeks into a term).  It is no disadvantage really.  My kids are 12 and 10 and they are very adaptable. Primary school doesn't have the issue of choosing subjects so it's really a non issue to move them.

Public schools have to take you if you are in their zone no matter when you turn up.  You would visit the school one week and your kids would start the following.  You'd have to buy uniforms but school will tell you everything you need to know.  Lot of schools have volunteer class carers (usually a parent) for each class and this person will help out too.  Not all schools have them, but those who do are great.

School fees are billed by the term in private / catholic schools and usually in January in public schools.  However parents can make arrangements to pay in various ways.  Some pay in full at the beginning of the year, some pay a regular amount every month (this is what we do).  The school will have a finance manager and they will organise things with you.  It's all very friendly and and they are there to help.

Example of costs:  our public (government) school was around $500 for the year.  This included books and stationery.  Our private school was around $6,500 a year for two children and we paid by the month over 10 months. 

Sport is not included within school like it is in RSA.  Kids join a club for sport and train in the late afternoon / early evening with matches on weekends.  Costs vary and equipment costs will depend on your budget.  Sports club fees range from $150 to $600 a term per child where we are.  Sport is optional since it is not part of school so up to you what you take part in.

If you have an idea of where you'll be landing, you can visit the website for the local school and download their weekly newsletters to get a feel for the place.  They also often publish the schedule of their fees.

• Like 3

School costs for us, our kids are both at state schools. One in primary and one in high school

Primary per year: $900

excluding camp but including stationary. It includes some sport but if they make it through to a district championship it's extra but only $30-50

Hugh School: $1250 for year

Includes camp but excludes stationery and some text books which cost approx $600 

Most schools we have looked at require either a laptop or iPad from Year 5 which will cost around $600-$1100 depending on what is required. But most have a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) so check that out on their websites to save some money.

My kids don't do many extras (sports etc) but these can really add up. 

U11 hockey fee for season $290 + $50 to Hockey Victoria. Also need to buy kit etc.

My daughter is in a dance academy and that costs $1750 for the year but she has quite a few classes per week. But add in the different leotards, costumes and pointe shoes it becomes quite costly.

Primary school uniform is quite inexpensive as you can buy most of it at Best & Less or Target. But high school uniform can be pricey

Hope this helps

Edited by JackoFam
Spelling
  • Like 1

We moved mid year - our son, age 11, went into Primary and our daughter, age 12, went into High School.

Both schools were th local government schools. Both schools were very supportive and there was no major academic disruption, they were caught up within a few months. Both kids have been at international private schools all their lives (a function of location and expat lifestyle more than anything else) and the only major difference I have found between the private schooling and government schooling is that I actually have to pull open the school door myself - it doesn't slide open automatically on approach ?

With regards to costs, I would say JackoFam is spot on. With the high school uniform, anything without a logo (grey trousers, skirts, white shirts) you can get somewhere else much cheaper than the school uniform shop. I actually use Next Direct for these items, better than Target (and pricier) but much cheaper than the uniform shop. Having said that, never rule out Target, KMart and BestandLess as these stores are lifesavers for all those extras.