Contributory Parent 143 Visa Support group

Elna57

Greetings all, a question regarding new Medicare rules, if any.  With a 143 can you apply for Medicare and are there any restrictions. Under what medical conditions will you require private health care. 

Any pointers where I can research, get more details on medical care.  

Many thanks. 

@Ike 

You automatically get Medicare card with the 143 Visa.

You can read up here: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/medicare-card/eligibility/who-can-get-it

Hope it helps.

4 minutes ago, Elna57 said:

@Ike 

You automatically get Medicare card with the 143 Visa.

You can read up here: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/medicare-card/eligibility/who-can-get-it

Hope it helps.

Thanks Elba, have had a look at the site and see this..

If you’re a Contributory parent visa applicant

If you’re an applicant for a Contributory parent visa, you can get a Medicare card if you hold a:

• temporary visa subclass 173 or 884, or
  • temporary visa subclass 173 or 884 and have applied for permanent visa subclass 143 or 864

If you’ve applied directly for the permanent Contributory parent visa subclass 143 or 864 without holding the temporary Contributory parent visa first, you’re not eligible until your permanent Contributory parent visa is granted. However, you may be able to get a Medicare card if you’re eligible under a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement.

when are you considered permanent. 

@Ike

I am afraid that I do not understand your question?

Once your 143 visa is granted and you are a permanent resident, you get your medicare card as soon as you go into any Mygov office. I will try to find more info on what is covered and what not.

What is your timeline? When did you apply?

Dental and eyes(specs) I think are not covered with medicare card. I stand to be corrected on this but that is my understanding.

Public hospital, doctors consultations are covered and medicines partly covered.

Does this answer your question?

15 minutes ago, Elna57 said:

@Ike

Once your 143 visa is granted and you are a permanent resident, you get your medicare card as soon as you go into any Mygov office. I will try to find more info on what is covered and what not.

Dental and eyes(specs) I think are not covered with medicare card. I stand to be corrected on this but that is my understanding.

Public hospital, doctors consultations are covered and medicines partly covered.

Thanks Elba, this is all a little confusing. To me anyway. 

You are granted a 143 temporary and only after certain conditions is it considered permanent.

Have seen reference to a two year waiting period before your 143 is considered permanent.

You are not eligible for Medicare if you have not first held a temporary visa 173 / 884 or your permanent 143 visa is granted. 

@Ike Ok, no no. The 2 year is for temporary contributory parent visa... see, only Permanent residents can get Medicare and the 173 is a temporary residency visa. So they have 2 years within which to apply for permanent 143 visa but until it is granted and they obtain permanent residency, they are not eligible for Medicare.

We got our medicare cards straight away after going into Mygov and registering with Centrelink etc

That is why we have to pay so much for the 143 visa, to cover some of our medical costs in Australia.

Hope you can now relax.

As long as you make sure your doctor does "bulk billing" you will not pay to go see a doctor because he charges Medicare rates. 

And public hospitals over here are extremely good. I have heard that for less urgent conditions one has to wait quite long for a procedure but urgent procedures are done asap.

So, keep the teeth nice and save up for specs and you will probably never need any extra cover. We do not have because I will be quite happy to go to public hospital over here. 

We have been here for just over 16 months and have never had any problems with medicare.

Good luck with your journey. Hope it all goes well.

Edited by Elna57
Spello
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ike said:

Thanks Elba, have had a look at the site and see this..

If you’re a Contributory parent visa applicant

If you’re an applicant for a Contributory parent visa, you can get a Medicare card if you hold a:

• temporary visa subclass 173 or 884, or
  • temporary visa subclass 173 or 884 and have applied for permanent visa subclass 143 or 864

If you’ve applied directly for the permanent Contributory parent visa subclass 143 or 864 without holding the temporary Contributory parent visa first, you’re not eligible until your permanent Contributory parent visa is granted. However, you may be able to get a Medicare card if you’re eligible under a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement.

when are you considered permanent. 

If you have applied for a 143 visa you would be considered a permanent resident once the 143 visa was granted and you have moved to Australia.

• Thanks 1

Being a 173 applicant I have been assured I am eligible for Medicare.

I will be applying for 143 as soon as I land and activate my visa well after hugging the kids and grandkids then Ill go to the PO and post it

Edited by Maz

On 5/31/2019 at 10:22 AM, spark80 said:

You have to pay first and then you post all paperwork including printed receipt. Money are taken straight away.

Odendaal was referencing status of letter at Post office from my understanding. I shared that my letter was delivered pretty quickly.

Thanks heaps for your post Spark80. Aus Post states that my package has been "delivered". Guess I'll wait for the confirmation email from PVC - by your timeline, mine should come through by the end of the week. 

That VAC1 leaves my account very quickly so I am very keen on at least knowing if my parcel isn't lost and that is has been received by the PVC!

59 minutes ago, Odendaal said:

Thanks heaps for your post Spark80. Aus Post states that my package has been "delivered". Guess I'll wait for the confirmation email from PVC - by your timeline, mine should come through by the end of the week. 

That VAC1 leaves my account very quickly so I am very keen on at least knowing if my parcel isn't lost and that is has been received by the PVC!

Good luck, lets keep in touch, it is easy to be in the same boat with someone. 

They say it is 8 weeks so no point to contact them earlier than that. But as i said mine came through after 3 weeks, hope it will be same for you.

• Like 1

Hi Guys and Gals

It is a good idea to regularly check your junk mail as well just in case that e-mail you are waiting for has slipped into the junk mail.

A friend accidentally (and fortunately just in time) found their request for medicals and further documents in their junk folder and had to request an extension in order to get everything done.

Good luck to everyone and a warm welcome to all new roomies!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Elna57 said:

Hi Guys and Gals

It is a good idea to regularly check your junk mail as well just in case that e-mail you are waiting for has slipped into the junk mail.

A friend accidentally (and fortunately just in time) found their request for medicals and further documents in their junk folder and had to request an extension in order to get everything done.

Good luck to everyone and a warm welcome to all new roomies!

A good idea indeed happened to me too.

A quick question to some body on the board here. My son in law got a letter dated 30th may that the  AOS  application has been accepted.

All our documents were submitted some time ago .What is the next step and time line.

Another question is about the second vac payment .  My  understanding is amount for each of us 43600.00 AUD. I tried the other day to send the funds through my bank in Canada and the fees are really high . There is a company on line (TransferWise) that will do it for the fraction of the cost of my bank. The difference is 2900.00 cad or Aud. Both our currencies are about the same. My inclination is to do it  through the bank because I am old school and feels safer but paying an extra 2900.00 is bothersome.

Your input in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to everybody on this board .Your knowledge and experience has been a great help..

Just wanted to clarify on the website for applying for 173 it says you can apply for Medicare......whew

With this visa you can

Hi All, I had a question about AOS. My wife is the one for whose parent's we have applied for the 143 visa. We knew that with my wife's income alone we won't clear the AOS requirements. 

Hence, we had decided form day 1 that it will be a joint AOS application.  I had 2 questions.

1)  Has anyone encountered any issues when applied this way? Or any tips or do's and don'ts?

2) I believe the AOS application will need to be done from my wife's Centrelink account although it is a joint application. Is that correct?

.....Still waiting for that acknowledgement email from PVC they have received our application :whome:, @spark80 you were lucky!

12 hours ago, Odendaal said:

.....Still waiting for that acknowledgement email from PVC they have received our application :whome:, @spark80 you were lucky!

I hope it will work out

On 6/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, Elna57 said:

@Ike

we have been asked to make the final payment for visa 143. However we are  in Australia on tourist visa 600. Do we have to leave the country? How long do they grant the visa once we make payment?

Hi Bernadette24. Please give us some time line info on your application. It will help us who are waiting to determine where we would be in the que.(Maybe).

Congratulations your wait is over.

acknowledgement August 2015

Payment aos made in February

end of May requested another South African Police Clearance certificate as teh one they had from me did not have my maiden name on it

They also asked for an Australian Police Clearance Certificate as over teh last 9 years i spent many months in this country

Yesterday i emailed them all they wanted and today they ask for second payment

This evening we paid the final payment

Our problem is that we live in Sydney at the moment on visa 600 (granted for a year) and dont know if we have to leave the country or not. Where can we find the answer?

@bernadette24

Yes you need to leave the country before they can issue you your 143 visa. 

You have to "close" your 600 visitors visa by leaving the country. And then you can re-enter with your 143 visa after it has been issued. You can't be in Australia with two visas!

Get in contact with your CO immediately (it's the person who requested your 2nc VAC payment) and tell them you are onshore.

Then arrange with him/her when they can issue the 143 visa - when you can be out of the country soonest.

Elna, who started this thread, had to do the same. 

You can go to Fiji, N/Zeeland, Bali or any of the nearby countries for a few days during which they can issue you your 143 visa.

Don't go to Tasmania, it's still part of Australia !!! Just joking. My wife keeps on saying we went overseas when we went to Tasmania - ha ha ha🤣

When entering the country to activate visa 143, does my husband have to be with me or can he arrive a couple of weeks later?