Public Primary schools in North Sydney - suggestions?

CasperBadenhorst

Hi Everyone

My family and I may come over on a 457 soon, so we are looking for good primary school for our eldest (soon to be year 1) in the Northern suburbs of Sydney.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks...

Edited by CasperBadenhorst

We settled in Davidson, Frenchs Forest area.  Quite a few saffers, and schools are good:

We went to Mimosa Public and were very happy there.  But I heard good reports about all the others in the area too. Forestville public which is a bit closer to city I.e easier public transport due to current building of hospital in Frenchs Forest which is making driving from the area painful.   Lots of choices.  After interviews at the school, and a show around, you'll get a good feel of which principle is your "man" :-)

It didn't used to be, but I suspect they're all zoned now, so probably best to check rental affordabilitiy in areas before deciding.  Not easy to find a rental, if needed, look at short term furnished (Gumtree.com.au) so that you can at least get started.  

I was told and found it correct that generally, if it's an area you'd consider living in, the primary schools will be equivalent of Model C in SA.  in Northern Sydney, can't speak for other areas.

The high schools not always.

Check the schools naplan results but also check their websites so that you can see what they offer in terms of additional languages, MOOSH (they all have funny names for after care), special needs assistance like reading groups, extension (classes for kids who are at a higher accademic level) and band...... and if you're going to need it, make sure they have space in aftercare, it's often very limited.  Alternatively, find an au pair or older lady to help after school.  

Welcome to PM me for details if needed. 

Good Luck.

Thank you, @Settled...

Information much appreciated. We will let you know (via PM) if we need any more info...

Thanks for taking the time to put down your thoughts/experiences!

Hi Casper, what specific area in the north of Sydney are you thinking of?   Its sounds like you are casting a huge net ;)  

We are in Belrose, with the Frenchs Forest border running just behind our house.  We have been in the area for over 4 years now and I have two small boys at Wakehurst Public School (Kindy and year 2). Like Settled said, of Frenchs Forest, Belrose, Davidson and Forestville, Forestville is the closest one to the city.  You will definitely slice time off your journey if you lived there.  The Forestville Public school is great, as is the nearby Killarney Hights Public and High Schools.  The Killarney Heights High School is a state high school and is highly regarded.  Take note that they call high schools, high schools, BUT they call primary schools, public schools.  The word primary never comes up.  I can not think of a single public school in the Forest area with a negative reputation.  You basically choose the one closest to your house and thats just fine. There are private schools too, but to be honest, especially at primary level, it is REALLY not necessary to go private.

The area is undergoing a huge regeneration with bazillion $$$ being used to upgrade roads and they are building a Level 5 (BIG) hospital in Frenchs Forest at the moment, that is going to supercharge the area even further.  The hospital opens in 2018.  So if you come to look at the area at the moment it looks pretty bad with all the roadworks etc.  Give me a shout if you want to ask anything.  I work from home and are always happy to assist.  

ps. I also serve tea, coffee, wine and beer.