Dealing with Culture Shock

Riekie

Hi All,

I'm actually still living in Durban, SA, however my partner (Brian) and I are thinking about immigrating - not cause we're very unhappy here more so because I think we both need a change and Brian has already begun applying for his visa (even before we met) - not to say he would leave me behind but we would like to make this decision together.

We are thinking about living in Brisbane cause Brian has family over there and apparently the weather and peeps are alot like Durban. My main concern is that I have previously left SA to live in London (Central) on a 2 year working / holiday visa - I absolutely hated the place and I was desperately unhappy - the weather was horrible and depressing (I'm a real sun baby!), I found alot of the people very unfriendly and on a permanent mission, I felt confined, claustrophobic and very home sick.

Basically I'm writing to ask for advise from anyone who has made similar choices and who is now living in Oz... are you happy..? (I realize there are certain stages of settling in that you have to go through before it feels like home). What are the people like, weather, job opportunities etc? I would be so grateful if anyone can give me a bit of back round. You see I went to London knowing nothing about the place, literally landed and had to find a place to stay, work etc and I would really like to be in a position this time round that if I chose to immigrate, I know a bit more about where I'm going...

Thank you and I can't wait to hear from you!

T

Taryn

we lived in the UK a few times over a period of 11 years. We have now been living on the gold coast (an hour from Brisbane) and are really happy and settled here. Weather is similar to Durban, i too am a sun person.. and love the blue skies and sunshine!!

Good luck, you will find it much easier than living in the UK

... (I'm a real sun baby!)...,

Then Aus is the place for you! Tomorrow is supposed to be 39 degrees in Sydney!!!! :ilikeit:

The people in Australia are mostly extremely welcoming and happy to have immigrants here. We have found everyone to be very helpful. Quite differetn to the experiences my sister described she had in London

We have only been here for two months, but I think that it is a good indicator of feelings you may have.

We arrived into a very uncertain position, so I think this has effected my journey of feelings. We chose Perth because I was offered a very good job here (even though Perth has a lot fewer jobs available in both my husbands profession and mine compared to other cities in Aus). We had shortlisted Perth, Melbourne and Sydney as our potential destinations and were going to go to the city where the first one of us were offered a decent job. Perth came through first (for me), so we packed up and moved over. When I was offered the job, the company was in a tremendous growth period. Just three months later, after a series of unfortunate circumstances, the company was set for a serious down-scaling of mass-retrenchments. This information was announced the day after we arrived (one week before I was due to start work!!!) Fortunately, I was not on the list to be retrenched, but I was due to start work the week the retrenchies were to be notified (end of November). The company decided that it was a bad time for me to start, so they changed my contract, and told me I would start a month later in January. This came as a bit of a shock - we had arrived specifically for my job and now I was to wait for a month (of no pay) before I could start. Financially this was a burden - we counted on my earning money from arrival. Emotionally it was upsetting - we had arrived a month early for nothing. We could have spent Christmans and the festive season at home with friends and family (for a hell of a lot cheaper as well)!

So, I went through the feelings of depression and anger on arrival in Aus. It wasn't constant though - there were many time when we felt privaledged and awed by Perth, but over the whole, we were in very precarious situation. This situation has persisted. I started work, but the company is still in serious trouble - there is just not enough work for us all. I am on three months probation (as per my contract) - I figure that if things don't look up, I will be retrenched myself after the three months are up. There are just no jobs even advertised in my field at the moment in Perth. My husband is battling to find employment as well.

The instability of our situation I think has effected my going through the stages. I am going through all of the stages at once it seems. I am angry about my work situation and that we uprooted my daughter to put her into a situation that may potentially mean uprooting her again if we both end up without work here. I am sad and depressed and missing my family and friends fiercely. We have been so fortunate to meet many wonderful people here, but it is not the same as being around people that know and understand you from years and years of friendship. But, on the other hand, I am delighted to be in a country where everything works. Small seeminly insignificant things are such enormous privaleges to me, such as being able to cycle every day to work. I cycle on beautiful landscaped cycle paths, I am not worried about my safety at any point, the offices here have great facilities for cyclists in the form of shower facilities etc. Such a small thing - but in my world it has such an impact! This is the Wow-factor of Aus that I still experience in different ways every day.

I think that once my three-month probation is over - if I still have a job, which will give me more stability, and if my husband gets a job, we will be able to relax and concentrate more actively on how wonderful this country is.

Edited by Gizmo

We have only been here for two months, but I think that it is a good indicator of feelings you may have.

We arrived into a very uncertain position, so I think this has effected my journey of feelings. We chose Perth because I was offered a very good job here (even though Perth has a lot fewer jobs available in both my husbands profession and mine compared to other cities in Aus). We had shortlisted Perth, Melbourne and Sydney as our potential destinations and were going to go to the city where the first one of us were offered a decent job. Perth came through first (for me), so we packed up and moved over. When I was offered the job, the company was in a tremendous growth period. Just three months later, after a series of unfortunate circumstances, the company was set for a serious down-scaling of mass-retrenchments. This information was announced the day after we arrived (one week before I was due to start work!!!) Fortunately, I was not on the list to be retrenched, but I was due to start work the week the retrenchies were to be notified (end of November). The company decided that it was a bad time for me to start, so they changed my contract, and told me I would start a month later in January. This came as a bit of a shock - we had arrived specifically for my job and now I was to wait for a month (of no pay) before I could start. Financially this was a burden - we counted on my earning money from arrival. Emotionally it was upsetting - we had arrived a month early for nothing. We could have spent Christmans and the festive season at home with friends and family (for a hell of a lot cheaper as well)!

So, I went through the feelings of depression and anger on arrival in Aus. It wasn't constant though - there were many time when we felt privaledged and awed by Perth, but over the whole, we were in very precarious situation. This situation has persisted. I started work, but the company is still in serious trouble - there is just not enough work for us all. I am on three months probation (as per my contract) - I figure that if things don't look up, I will be retrenched myself after the three months are up. There are just no jobs even advertised in my field at the moment in Perth. My husband is battling to find employment as well.

The instability of our situation I think has effected my going through the stages. I am going through all of the stages at once it seems. I am angry about my work situation and that we uprooted my daughter to put her into a situation that may potentially mean uprooting her again if we both end up without work here. I am sad and depressed and missing my family and friends fiercely. We have been so fortunate to meet many wonderful people here, but it is not the same as being around people that know and understand you from years and years of friendship. But, on the other hand, I am delighted to be in a country where everything works. Small seeminly insignificant things are such enormous privaleges to me, such as being able to cycle every day to work. I cycle on beautiful landscaped cycle paths, I am not worried about my safety at any point, the offices here have great facilities for cyclists in the form of shower facilities etc. Such a small thing - but in my world it has such an impact! This is the Wow-factor of Aus that I still experience in different ways every day.

I think that once my three-month probation is over - if I still have a job, which will give me more stability, and if my husband gets a job, we will be able to relax and concentrate more actively on how wonderful this country is.

Dear Gizmo

I felt so sad for you & your family when i read your post.

I really pray things settle down for you and your husband ASAP. I cannot imagine how stressful it must be with the 3 month probabtion hanging over your head.

We also arrived as the financial crisis hit and are now both working as my hubby's new job isnt really ideal and I need to work to supplement income for now. Still under teh current circumstances we are very blessed to both have secure jobs. I feel moments of stress when I think about trying to get everything done while working and knowing things are tight budget wise. I keep thinking we have to focus on the bigger picture, that we are doing this for our kids and that we WILL make it work!

I am praying for you that your work will pick up & have lots & lots for you to do, and also that your hubby will find something that suits him workwise. And also that you will sleep in peace at night and wake up each morning full of hope!

God bless you & your family

Tarryn

Thinking of you Gizmo, I am sure everything will work out in the end.

Be strong, and big hugs, Jill

• 9 months later...

An Australian view on migrants. These views are not often displayed in our 'over correct' society but form the basis of much Australian thinking. Thus one could go for years and never be told to your face what people think of you.

As immigrants it is in our best interests to know what the host country people think about migrants and how the different groups of immigrants are viewed and treated.

My friend Bob has worked with immigrants all his working life and travelled enough of the world during his work to be able to give a considered, educated opinion of the way many native born Australians view immigrants and immigrant groups. I have asked him to write a synopsis of his impression of immigrants and this is his interesting response; See it here: Perth Migrant Support

• 1 year later...

Hi,

An interesting topic, and I think everyone should prepare for their move. There was this great article by cross -culture coach Patti McCarthy, where she uses a South African as an example. We have the pleasure of working very closely with Patti, so I hope you enjoy the article which was published in the "Australian" newspaper on Saturday.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/careers/not-every-expat-has-a-smooth-transition/story-fn717l4s-1226165867470

• 3 weeks later...

Im not saying emigration is easy but i think there are way too many Saffers who come here totally unprepared and thinking that Aussie owes them a favour. Can you imagine what it must be like emigrating to SA!? You would experience the crime, corruption, dishonesty, incompetence and madness on top of the general hassle of migration.

Settling in, making friends and succeeding on the work front will be hard no matter which country you emigrate, but Aussie has to be one of the easiest. Everything works and the people are incredibly helpful and friendly. To be honest, i think a lot of Saffers come here with their petty 'sport-related' hatred of Aussies and then start looking for faults.

I have read some genuinely tragic migration stories and my heart goes out to these people, but so many others just need to pour themselves a great big mug of HTFU.

Feenish en klaar

:lol: Springjock - I do enjoy your honesty and outlook on life. :lol:

Love it, Springjock.

I've spent a fair amount of time working in Rwanda lately. I didn't find it much of a culture shock, despite not speaking any of the official languages. Maybe because I deal mostly with people eager to work and get things done the right way.

I even found their airline, RwandAir, more competent than most, allowing me to change a ticket via SMS. More comfortable and with better in flight service than Quantas and New Zealand Air too, both of which I've flown with in the last year.

But then again, my motto has always been FIFO, because I know I'm the 'outsider'. They owe me nothing. Its up to me to become part of the 'team', while somehow retaining my identity.

Quite right Rover. Its up to you to fit in, not vice versa.

And please, Johnnie Joburg, you didnt live off Mrs Balls chutney when you lived in SA. Dont develop a life impacting dependency on this gunk after your first month in Oz. Try and embrace the new society you live in.