Where do you start?

VTRMalan

Good day,

My wife and I have decided to move to Australia after my mom passed away earlier this year. I have a brother (PR) and Sister(Citizen) in Perth as well as my Aunt, Uncle and Cousins (Citizens). We feel it is a better future for our 3 year old son.

Obviously we have many questions and what to do's?????

We applied for the unabridged certificates, and have received hers and my sons. Still waiting for mine and the unabridged wedding certificate.

My main question is how do you go about doing a skills assesment??

Regards

Welcome! This forum has been a great start for me and I'm sure you'll find it the same - read, read, read. 

This thread has a lot of good info:

For a skills assessment, it will depend on the kind of visa you're looking for and the occupation that you're hoping to apply under (if you're hoping to go over under skilled migration).

No useful info from me, I just wanted to pop up and say it warms my heart that another Malan is heading over. I always check the electoral roll when I vote here and there are 3 Malans registered to vote in my electoral precinct in Sydney. The other 2 are strangers to me, but still makes me smile. Good luck with your journey.

• Like 1

The skills assessment will depend on your skill, eg engineers go to Engineers Australia, statisticians go to VETASSESS. So perhaps the best place to start is the Aussie government website Workers' Page where you will also find the Skills Assessment Authorities . You will still need to read up all the info for yourself, but at least you know if it comes from this source, it is 100% legit.

Best of luck with your process! And shout if you have questions. ;) 

Hi @VTRMalan

Welcome. Sounds like your support system in Australia is well established. That is great. Agree with advice above. Just wanted to add that it is also important to first establish what visa you will be applying for as this informs the process and requirements. Based on our experience so far, I also recommend using an agent, even if just to advise you on what visa(s) you qualify for. 

Good luck. 

The 100 point plan mentions  Get a reference letter and client code from your bank.

Do you really need this?  and what does it do? 

18 hours ago, FromDurbs said:

The 100 point plan mentions  Get a reference letter and client code from your bank.

Do you really need this?  and what does it do? 

What do you need it for? (I haven't read that thread in a long time, and can't remember...)

I guess if you don't know what they are needed for you have not needed it yet and I can ignore it.

Like I said, I can't remember what the list was like, and in what context they recommend that. But we started on this side with new bank accounts, no credit, and worked things on cash. I think by now our rental payments might start to count towards a credit record, not sure. But that didn't stop us from securing a house to rent. It would have been a problem if we needed to apply for vehicle finance. But there are ways around needing car finance, like buying a cheaper second hand car, or using public transport for a while.

Anyway, the banking info was absolutely not needed for opening an account, they use passport info, and then you have to show up at a branch somewhere along the line, before they will allow you to withdraw any of your money from your new account.

That's all I can think of right now.