Moving to Melbourne in July

Sassyninja

@Sassyninja - Bayside area is lovely - we've been in Hampton since Nov15. Great train line, easy commute into CBD, love the walking trails along the bay etc. Don't have kids at school but can see that the school kids here are well behaved in general and there are lots of good schools in the area. Great family neighborhood, with lots of parks and beach activities. I found it an easy area to transition into Aus from RSA. The convenience of everything just made it less overwhelming.

All the best for your last plans on the RSA side and happy landings come July :)

• Like 2

Awesome, yeah holding thumbs for Hampton. Just need to get this stuff shipped now!

For those busy looking to ship, heres a comparison in my quotes from Durban to Melbourne for a shared container - 431 cu ft:

Insurance AQIS Total Exchange
Stuttafords   46,876.38 3750 3950.8 54,577.18 11.62
Pickfords   43,096.00 INCL 3592.9 46,688.90 11.25
Magna   45,820.00 3750 3592.9 53,162.90 11.78
Biddulphs   40,060.00 3500 3602.05 47,162.05 11.81

Compare the total figures - some are sneaky with their exchange rates. (Its 11.03 today)
So far best service from Biddulphs. 

Hi emma

I couldn't  find their contact info. 

Here you go sassy:

1. Cargopak

 Columbine Place 40
 4051 Durban
 KwaZulu-Natal - South Africa 

 082 576 0927 

 031 569 3491 

 031 569 3420

• 2 weeks later...
On 12 May 2016 at 6:44 PM, Sassyninja said:

OKAAAY - so Stuttafords just informed me a shared container will take 4-5 months. 

What do you do without washing machine and microwave? And tools and stuff???

Just a thought - don't take your washing machine . If you start in a rental , it will most likely have a euro laundry and very few machines are small enough to fit in the gap . We are very glad we didn't bring ours as it would never have fitted . We actually sold 99% of stuff and bought more energy efficient appliances this side .

• Like 1

Thanks EmNew, ours is still practically brand new, and is a 2 in 1, tumble dryer too so figured to take it as its compact? 

Anypne secured a rental from this side yet?

On 12/05/2016 at 6:44 PM, Sassyninja said:

OKAAAY - so Stuttafords just informed me a shared container will take 4-5 months. 

What do you do without washing machine and microwave? And tools and stuff???

You'll want to come here before you rent a place. All the places look amazing on realestate.com.au etc but when you get here they look really shite. I know this will sound strange but I checked out a few places the last few weekends and took pics on my phone to send to my GF who is still in SA and for some reason every picture just looked amazing, even when the place was actually quite crappy. Anyway point is come see the places for yourself.

Also, most agents require you to come see a place before renting, otherwise they are not allowed to rent it out. Not sure if this is law or what but every place I applied for required me to have been there in person to see if beforehand. Also all inspections are only 15 minutes on a set date and time. You can request a date and time from an agent though.

Thanks dlmonnink

So far agents have agreed that someone (friend) can inspect on our behalf. But haven't found anything just yet, will

Let you guys know if I come right. And how. *holding thumbs* 

dlmonnink is so right.

We inspected about 12 places, of which 2 were OK, 1 was great and the rest were terrible! There was a wall falling over at the one that would crush my children, one had a hole in the wall inside the house. Some smelled like mould. Others had no parking or garage. Some were on top of the most busy streets in history with no boundary wall - for my 3 year old that is a disaster waiting to happen. Some had no bath only a shower. We picked the GREAT one although it was $50 more a week than we budgeted for.  \

Why is this post in bold? I don't know :)

• Like 1

SASSYNINJA, the rentals work really weirdly here.  You will find that most rentals come up about 2 weeks before they expect you to move in. It really freaked me out. We started looking in Dec for Feb as we had temp accomodation until then and our furniture only arrived then. We noticed that everything was either for immediate occupation or for up to 2 weeks ahead.  We only found our rental about 10 days before we moved in.  Not for the faint hearted.  You will find that when you start searching most people at the inspections are looking for something next week!! Not like R. S.A  where you can find something for 2 months time. 

I would suggest waiting until you arrive. Some of these places have to be seen to be believed!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I will take heed and make sure I tell my "inspectors" to check for boundary walls etc. So far she's  only gone to one place and didnt recommend it, so think she knows what Im about as shes been to my home here and knows my OCD aunt. Haha. 

Mel B - haha - your line about your font had me laugh out loud. 

Out of interest, what are ypu guys paying for rent? We initially budgeted 600, but soon realised 800 is prob more accurate for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath since my MIL will be coming for 3 months at a time. (Shudder)

First prize would be Hampton. 

Currently with friends in Brighton East, also a larney area :P they pay $525 a week for 2 bed 2 bath smallish place. Other places similar in the area going for $600+. Prob $1000+ for 3 bed 2 bath.

Moving to Mount Waverley mid next month. Paying $500 for a 3 Bed 2 Bath renovated place with big garden for our zoo of animals that are enroute.

Hi guys

As a back up plan for Oz, I have started a small etsy shop, and recently designed little lighthearted farewell tags/labels that you can print for your farewells: 

<LINK REMOVED>

Let me know what you think. 

Cheers

Shareè

FarewellYouwillbemistWord.JPG

Edited by Sassyninja

And another... 

<LINK REMOVED>

The one above is designed to be printed as a sign on a table with suckers for guests... kinda like this... 

For the Love of Food: Life is a Journey Farewell Party:

Edited by Sassyninja

@Sassyninja advertising is against the rules here unfortunately. Probably best to edit your posts to remove links.  @Mara

Edited by RYLC