What the hell is going on in South Africa?!

Riekie

This whole emigration process has given me sudden insight into the effect of civil wars on families. (Not that this is that bad, of course!) But I understand how people must have felt to have families divided over something important. For us two it has been painfully obvious for the past 10 years that white people need to get out of RSA, and in fact anyone who wants to live in a 1st world country should move out of RSA.

But we have numerous family members who are simply going to stay here. Fortunately they don't begrudge us our own move, but I still don't get how they simply don't see the massive red flags all around them??? And it's not lack of exposure to 'overseas', or lack of means to move. They actively want to just stay here.

3 hours ago, RedPanda said:

They actively want to just stay here.

Hope is a wonderful thing - it often gives energy and willingness to make a difference. Often the driving force for global migration. But it can also be an excuse to do nothing given that the trade-off to get out of your comfort zone is too big.

I remember back in 1994 everyone thought SA is about to sink ( major increase in emigration stats), just to be repeated in 2002 and later again in 2009 and 2015 but after all that SA is still standing (although just about). All it takes to reverse is a change in politics, but not so easy, which may or may not happen in our lifetime.

However a more interesting phenomenon is across province migration in SA. Not to turn this into a race issue but rather let the facts/stats speak. The doc below P 34 shows by population groups that Western Cape and Kwazulu Natal counts for 60% of white movement. More important is the reasons for moving inter province on P 35 and security doesn't feature - but work related reasons is number 1 (this may be disguised who knows). By population group the reason for whites is still work and family.

http://www.miworc.org.za/docs/MiWORC-Report-5.pdf

And not that the crime in Western Cape or KN is the lowest

http://www.crimestatssa.com/provincesbycrime.php

So the only conclusion I can come to is they hope things will go better............

• Like 1

I came across this news item earlier I'm not sure how recent the stats are "More South Africa schoolchildren died than anywhere else in the world with 76.94 deaths per 100000, compared to the UK which was at 8.92 and the US at 12.97"

http://www.dispatchlive.co.za/news/sa-named-as-worst-country-to-raise-kids-in/

http://www.dispatchlive.co.za/gen/school-violence-stats-shock-750k-kids-assaulted-in-3-years/

• 11 months later...

And today we have a new Finance Minister amongst others....there goes Zuma again.  The political shenanigans it is emotionally draining, how does one stay positive in South Africa, watching the deterioration of the country, the poor getting poorer, middle class falling into the lower class, unemployment increasing, threats of land grabs and nationalization of mines and banks, businesses struggling to keep afloat, non existent service delivery, farm murders, universities on fire, social grants minister keeps her job while Gordhan loses his???  This reminds me of Moz, Zim, now SA, I have witnessed this trilogy and I'm exhausted....   So grateful we have a visa....  God bless Australia.

• Like 2

Its almost funny, in an ironic way, how this topic's title will always stay accurate! :(

• Like 2

God willing that the answer to this question changes to ...... new leadership sweeps clean; economy positive, crime down, rainbow nation, Springboks winning, common purpose.

Although we are of the privileged few who have our visas and will be migrating to Australia in 2017, most of our loved ones will be staying in South Africa. I can only hope things get better for their sake. Think it was J.K.Rowling who said “Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.” Perhaps this is South Africa hitting rock bottom and is ready for a rebuild.

#thereisalwayshope

• Like 4

Perhaps the topic title needs to be changed to "Why the hell does this keep happening in South Africa?!" :mellow:

The fundamental thing is that in South Africa many socio-political decisions are made and actions taken on the back of flooding emotion, widespread incompetence, lack of vision and spiteful foundation. The cycle of outcomes then just repeats itself.

When a larger social group has no idea left about a positive way into the future but rather comes to believe the way forward is by encouraging spite, retribution and promoting theft against a smaller group as a virtue it can only void it's future while inherently eroding and corrupting the larger groups values and well-being itself, never mind how the others will suffer. 

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• Like 1

The problem with South Africa and I guess a lot of African countries is not the man in power, it is the people who put him there...

The masses are uneducated (hence education system is destroyed to keep them there) and do not understand the impact of things like investor confidence etc.  Even if Zuma is kicked out, people like Malema are masters of convincing people they have their best interests at heart.  Clinging to politicians words are sometimes all they have, the promise of a house or electricity or running water.

• Like 1

@WayneAndMellove your quote 'Hope for the best and plan for the worst'.  The heartbreaking part is we all leaving friends and loved ones behind and what will become of their future....we will never truly escape.

• Like 1

Sadly, the ANC may well be S'Africa's best hope because if the EFF get in...

19 hours ago, Shellfish said:

Sadly, the ANC may well be S'Africa's best hope because if the EFF get in...

I don't think the EFF will ever get voted in. Look at Zimbabwe, when the people revolted against Bob and his chronies.. they voted for someone who was the opposite. Malema is still ANC to most people... he still has lots of ANC connections.

I am not saying South Africa is heading towards a good place. But the big fear should be how desperate the ANC become to hold on to power.

Fitch just downgraded SA... now international funds have to sell off their SA bonds.

Do you think Kaglema Mothlante (and the other anti-zuma factions) are being honest?  Or is it a case of, Zuma has taken all our bribe money, so our only thing left is the high ground?

Kaglema proposes a 3rd option... that the ANC actually do care, they are just soo scared about rocking the gravey train that they turn a blind eye to what Zuma does.

Saw on the news this morning that SA has eventually made it to the long awaited, financial junk rating. It has been working so hard towards this goal and eventually made it. 'Good' times ahead now, sadly.

• Like 1

Very sad. With us going over we do feel a little guilty about leaving some friends and family members behind, however we keep reminding ourselves that it is a better future for us and the kids. I am honestly not happy here. I am constantly worried about the crime. I drive waiting to be hijacked. And just in case I do, I keep my wallet and cellphone in my pockets so that I can just jump out the car and let it go. I double check windows and doors at night worried that I will wake up with someone in my room. I am worried about my children - their future - their safety.

And now that we are in a "junk status" - i am worried about the exchange rate going through the roof and my money being worth less in Australia. So - after typing all of that - I think you can see that I am over "worrying" about this stupid stuff and want to live.

good luck to everyone. 

• Like 4

@FingersCrossed, pretty much our thoughts too. From that point, I can tell you: Australia is wonderful! You're going to love it! (Yes, of course 'crime can happen anywhere', but at least here the default is not worrying about it, because the chances are so slim.) Come over, enjoy the public parks, walking in your new CBD at night (don't be stupid, but you don't have to be scared either) and just enjoy the general freedom of not worrying any more. ;) 

• Like 1