What the hell is going on in South Africa?!

Riekie

Being here for so long, I rarely take an interest in what is going on in South Africa (other than what the family is up to) and I comment on it even less, but for the last two weeks or so, my Facebook and Twitter feeds have been flooded with the most concerning and bizarre articles about South Africa - anything from students burning art, buildings, buses - well, basically everything! - to planes being stolen and submarines being bought to check for sharks!.... And now yesterday, new legislation regarding religious gatherings which prevents blacks form getting to heaven!  Have they all gone bonkers?! 

We spoke to some family last night - they don't have jobs, they have no food and are basically on the brink of being kicked out of their home! The rest of them live from hand to mouth and don't know how they'll pay the bills.  It's just so depressing to call them as you end up feeling desperate and guilty at the same time.  It's almost like you don't even want to know...

Yesterday, I've done the forum validations and it was the longest list of new members I've seen in a long time. Usually when this happens, there is "something" going on in South Africa.  I'm very concerned about the future of the country  - especially the welfare of our family - and from where I sit, it is getting exponentially worse. Everyone seems to be saying: it will get better, but how long does it take?   It's been 22 years and where are we?

Just feeling very "down" about it today...

• Like 4

Its very scary Riekie. Tuks (and other Universities) have been taking a beating from different groups over different issues. My mom works at unisa, and my former neighbor from SA works at TUKS, and the politics are ugly.
Racial tension seems to be high generally. But then we have many other friends and family living the dream and life goes on.... so hard to tell.

I am relieved to be out of there personally. I hope it gets better and stays good forever, I have so many people there that I love.

What was sad for me (not violence but stupidity) was the naval officer telling SABC why SA needs submarines. Do yourself a favour and google it. I was confused as to whether I should laugh or cry.

The government is doing a tragic job and that will ultimately lead to worse everything - crime, education, quality of life. But there is always hope. Sorry for your stress. :( leaving them there has been hard on us too, one cant help but worry for them.

I have been following the 'fallist' movements for a while and what it basically comes down to is the black students frustration at the lack of transformation, the lack of decolonisation and general 'whiteness' in South Africa. They call the impetus of the movement 'wokeness' which can be described as them having enough of the status quo and starting to mobilise for what they believe in and calling out elements of white South Africa. 

Now we can debate all we like whether or not what they are doing is constructive but I just wanted to give you some insight into the movements taking place at various unis around the country.

• Like 3

Just glad my posterior is out of there. It's a circus by the looks of things. So many of my mates have lost their jobs, houses, cars etc.

22 minutes ago, HermanLJ said:

basically comes down to is the black students frustration at the lack of transformation, the lack of decolonisation and general 'whiteness' in South Africa.

I am not really sure what to make of this.

- Most white people can`t find jobs in SA = transformed?

- decolonisation = ANC has been in power for 20 years?

- 90% of SA is black as night = where`s the "whiteness"?

It might be what they are thinking but they are clearly disconnected from reality. 

Just Marxist rhetoric mate. Same in every "comrade" country. Bob has been in power for almost 40 years but there are still 3rd forces at work, agents and colonialist pigs under every rock. Translation for the enlightened - you are never free, there is always "another" struggle but in the mean time we will stay in power because we are the only people who can keep you free. Codswallop plain an simple.

• Like 1

Flip, 8 Billion on subs for sharks! Wonder what they would spend on keeping lions out of the suburbs! I am also not sure to laugh or cry, what an @ss.

• Like 1

Ohh, the last time I checked all the subs were either:

• In dry docks
  • crashed (yes alone into the seabed. If you just knew how many fail safe systems that idiot had to bypass to do that...)
  • awaiting repairs (never put to sea...!)
  • Stolen parts and equipment
  • No qualified operators
  • Like 1

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31410:sa-navy-crippled-by-lack-of-qualified-personnel&catid=108:maritime-security

This means that all three submarines, meant to police the oceans off the South African coast, are presently undergoing repairs and maintenance.

The SAS Manthatisi, the first of the country’s submarines acquired in the multibillion-rand arms deal, has been in the dry dock since 2007 after a series of mishaps, including crashing into a quay and damaging her steering mechanism.

Then a power cable was incorrectly plugged into her shore power-supply system, causing damage. The vessel’s propulsion batteries, which cost R35-million, are being replaced according to Times Live.

3 hours ago, SurferMan said:

Ohh, the last time I checked all the subs were either:

• In dry docks
  • crashed (yes alone into the seabed. If you just knew how many fail safe systems that idiot had to bypass to do that...)
  • awaiting repairs (never put to sea...!)
  • Stolen parts and equipment
  • No qualified operators

You forgot them blowing the batteries of one sub because they used an AC power supply instead of a DC one.

Probably cut off the plug, put a 3 prong plug on it and plugged it in a wall socket or something.

But, yeah, the ANC and EFF are ramping up the anti-white rhetoric in the run up to the municipal elections this year and it is getting ugly. The ANC has funded the Gupta buyout of the Independant Newspaper Group which controls most of the mainstream media and they are really getting their monies worth with all the anti-white reporting and editorials.

Things are getting really nasty. I honestly think that the tipping point has been reached. We got out just in time.

Edited by BrendanH
  • Like 1

Okay, so what if EFF succeeds in their mission to make SA ungovernable..... What then?  Have they given ANY thought to what will happen after that?  Do they really think everybody will suddenly take orders from the EFF?  So sad that they target Universities.  These kids grew up together, accepting white/black/colored and other cultural groups.  They played and learned together.  Now suddenly they are expected to choose between the "white-side" and "OUR-side".  My friends with kids in Stellenbosch say the kids are pretty upset and scared.  

It truly is a circus!!

I have forbidden my husband/family to give me updates on the news as I just do not want to know anymore. They are slowly taking all the hope I had left for this country.

And yes the grass is not always greener on the other side, but to be very honest I do not see a future for myself or my children in this country anymore.

So for now we are just focusing on getting everything ready to lodge that expression of interest.

• Like 1

You assume there will be any grass @Minime!!

LOL, @BrendanH, there are some 4 electrical input safeguards on the charging circuits of those subs. Each one would have had to have been bypassed, ON PURPOSE. But don't fear, Gupta Navy Battery Supplies Pty Ltd just so happened to launch the day after, made from stitched together Eveready batteries, the old black n white 12V ones. :P

Just don't tell Juli-Ass the batteries are black n white, oh grief, he will dimand that it get nationalised.

Like I said, it's sad cos they could have at least been used for some good.

• Like 2

Its really distressing living amongst the chaos at the moment guys. Its the talk at work and the talk at home, everyone is panicking. Waiting for a miracle to happen while we go through the process.  Just feels as if its almost too late now, literally thinking "are we getting out alive"?

On the up-side, the 'push-back' from the family regarding our emigration has suddenly disappeared.

Lets hope and pray for the best...:holy:

• Like 6

@SurferMan

Absolutely, I am now more than ever determined to make this emigration go as quick as possible from my side.  I am also not convinced that anything will get better soon..:unsure: 

Just wish we could get on that plane already!

Patience is a virtue..

• Like 2

I never had any, but my kids are great mentors! I am learning patience. I feel for you girl, cant wait for that post that says you are on a plane!

• Like 1

Its very sad @Riekie.  I feel so guilty for leaving our family, especially elderly parents, behind amidst this chaos.  We want to find out more about parent visas and costs so we can start saving.  

Its still our home country and despite leaving, we hope that it will get better before they burn it to the ground.

Edited by TacticJourney
  • Like 1

What I find really sad is how so much of the country's discontent is being felt by the born-free generation, and people (black and white) at the moment can't seem to get past blaming each other for their misfortunes. SA is not a place for optimists at the moment.

I can only hope things settle down after elections - they usually do. Until then I may just have to stop reading News24 <_<

• Like 2

@SurferMan @Tiermelk The submarine explanation was hilarious, but the comedy did not stop there, here is the reason we have to send our pilots to Cuba for flight training: http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42494:mapisa-nqakula-slammed-for-stolen-aircraft-response-in-ncop&catid=111:sa-defence&Itemid=242

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SurferMan said:

Is this Alice in Wonderland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iegPYB8ZVdw

Often the funny is in the comments from viewers, like this one:

"That explains why I've lost so many hooks while fishing in the Orange and Vaal rivers....... Got stuck on subs. Explains a lot.. "

1 hour ago, CyberJoe said:

The submarine explanation was hilarious, but the comedy did not stop there, here is the reason we have to send our pilots to Cuba for flight training

Not only those in the museums but what about those in retirement or in-front of schools..........hmmmm - make sense just need to find the engines, landing gear, navigation equipment. Ok perhaps a better place to start looking for it is in the chop-shops! Or perhaps not!

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/p51mustang/media/Miscl/IMG_7083.jpg.html

18 hours ago, SurferMan said:

Then a power cable was incorrectly plugged into her shore power-supply system, causing damage. The vessel’s propulsion batteries, which cost R35-million, are being replaced according to Times Live.

Unfortunately the power was on. If it had been off due to power sharing the batteries would have been fine.:lol:

• Like 1