Looking For Place to Rent - Macquarie University, Sydney

DUys

Hello All,

My wife and I will be arriving in Sydney on February 16th, 2016. I will be attending Macquarie University working on my Masters degree in Sydney, Australia. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place, walking distance (~6km) , from the university that we can stay at for a few weeks until we can find a more permanent option. Unless we can move in to something straight away. Any help would be very much appreciated. We are most interested in renting a granny flat, but private rooms are also a temporary option. Our budget allows for a 300-400/w rent.

Thank you in advance.

More information about myself can be found on my linkedin page.

Duan Uys

www.linkedin.com/in/duanuys1

Unfortunately that's a very sort after area. Properties there get snapped up.  There are a lot of foreign students who go to the university and need temporary accommodation. 

They have just built several apartment blocks on herring road.  That's where the old Stamford grand hotel was. There is even a plan to build apartment towers on top of the shopping centre. 

Then to make it worse,  the accommodation is either permanent rentals for people who work in Macquarie Park,  Businessman's hotels (IE $$$$) or shared apartments for students to live in. 

There isn't going to be cheap,  temporary accommodation in the area. 

My advise is the train line is your friend. Anywhere along the train line will be easy to get to the university from.  The university has its own train  station. 

Here are some suburbs along the train line, 

Rhodes, 

Artarmon

Epping

Chatswood

Wolstencraft

Alternatively,  contact the university. They have a bit of student accommodation. 

And if you are still struggling,  look in the Baulkham Hills,  seven hills,  etc..  areas.  There are lots of busses that go direct to Macquarie shopping centre (across the road from the uni) 

• Like 1

Do you have a bike license? You could buy a scooter for around $1000 and drive in to Uni. You will be very lucky to live within walking distance. Check out Airbnb for temp accommodation.  Good luck. 

I forgot to mention that there is a travel lodge inside the university.  It's sort of like a city lodge back in South Africa.  It's well over $100 per room per night.  But if you are stuck for accommodation for a day or two it might come in handy. 

But really google maps us your friend. Find a place vaguely nearby,  then ask google how long it takes to get to the uni for 9am on a weekday using public transport. 

Oh and walking 1km but only catching one buss is preferable to no walking and catching 3 different busses. Busses run late then you miss your connecting bus!  It's horrible.  Also check how frequently the busses arrive.  So if you miss your buss that will get you there at 9am, what is your plan b or c? You might need to aim to get there at 8:30 in case the busses are delayed or just don't arrive. 

Have a look on Facebook too for any student groups for the Uni. Also ask the Uni if they have any assistance with this. Sounds strange to Saffa ears perhaps but Uni has councillors and advice services because they have a lot of foreign students from other countries who don't speak English very well and need extra help. So try to access these services.