Adelaide - secondary or primary?

BineMelanie

Hi Everyone

We are planning to arrive end of April in Adelaide. Hopefully hubby will then have organized us a rental as he will be going a month in advance :). Hopefully also a job:blink:.

My daughter is in grade 7 in South Africa, but I have read that year 7 is already high school? Is this correct?

I was looking at Heathfield and Blackwood High schools any opinions?

Does anyone have a daughter about the same age that have migrated that my daughter can correspond with. She is really not happy about the move.

Sorry for the thousand questions.

My sons are grade 2 and grade 1 will they be okay if they only start the second term?

Regards,

Melanie

• 2 weeks later...

As a teacher and a mum, I would be leaning towards keeping her in Year 7 but putting her in a school that is a feeder to the high school you would like her to attend. Next year she will move to high school with a group of kids that she already knows and will have an opportunity to make new friends with kids coming from other schools. It is a tough time for her to move and it might be an easier transition to go to primary school and find her feet. Good luck to you and your family-I hope you will be happy in Adelaide.

• Like 1

In South Australia Year 7 is still primary school whereas in NSW and VIC it is part of high school.  Each state is very different and much more like the USA as each state has some of their own laws. 

Hi RYLC and Joweni

Thanks for clearing that up. I started this conversation after seeing a post about year 7 being in High school.

Yes, I hope everything works out, she is quite shy, so doesn't make that many friends.

Stressing more about the kids than the fact that hubby hasn't got a job yet.

Thanks for all the wonderful help

Melanie  

Hi BineMelanie,

We are pretty much in the same boat, my daughters are currently in Grade 7 and Grade 6 and my Son just started Grade 1. We will be moving over to Adelaide in June this year.  I have looked at quite a few schools and am currently leaning towards a Gr R - 12 school in Hallett Cove since they can then all attend the same school. I thought this might ease the transition for them since they would all be together and my eldest wouldn't have to changed schools twice in once year as well as deal with the adjustment of the big move. She also doesn't make friends easily but we are fortunate in the fact that our friends from RSA have been in Adelaide now for 2 years with their kids being more or less the same age as ours.

Prehaps when we get there, we can meet up and and introduce the kids?

You might want to investigate Gr R - 12 schools in your area? Our kids are currently in a Gr R - 12 private school here in RSA and it works so well being able to drop them all off together as well as when it comes to school functions and extra murals etc.

Good Luck with your plans and your move ?