Sassyninja

Hi there. 

Can anyone help me? Am looking into school fees to get a better idea of cost of living for our family. 

If we move this year on our 189, my daughters will be 1 and 4. 

Our eldest can start kindergarten in 2017, but I cannot find what the fees would be for kindergarten? 

Thanks in advance!!

As prices differ, you may have to tell us where you are expecting to settle in Australia. It can also vastly differ from suburb to suburb.

SassyNinja,

Kindy in a state run school is FREE here in NSW if you have PR or are a Citizen. The government pays on average $15,000 per child to the schools here, you only pay for uniforms and many ask for a donation to cover extra murals and such, this year our contribution was $350 for the year.

Each State will be different, the age your child can enter school etc, in NSW it's the year your child turns 5, as long as they make the June cutoff and all children's need to be enrolled by the age of 6.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Matt

Sassy, my son has just finished Kindy at one of the many brilliant state schools in Sydney. We are on the North Shore. Our contribution was just under $250 for the year. I also kitted him out for $300, with many of the items (like backpack, jacket, raincoat, chairbag, etc) that he will use for years to come. If you go early enough, there is good second hand items of clothing to be had at the school uniform shop. 

Ps. We are in RSA for a visit at the moment. The fact that he has justspent a year at school, but has 12 years ahead of him at school, confuses the hell out of people. Also the fact that he goes around reading stuff, but is still 5, is a bit of a novelty around here. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Rozellem, love that they're reading so young haha. My daughter will be 5 18 July 2017 so assuming she can start kindy in January 2017?
That schooling cost seems very reasonable! Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, Sassyninja said:

Thanks Rozellem, love that they're reading so young haha. My daughter will be 5 18 July 2017 so assuming she can start kindy in January 2017?
That schooling cost seems very reasonable! Thank you. 

As shared above you can start Kindy in NSW the year you turn 5, as long as you make the (now) cutoff of July 31st then yip, she can start school then.

Many people choose to hold their kids back until they are 6's, but that's a choice that each parent/family has to make. My son entered in at 4.5 making the cut off by a few weeks and went on to be a star pupil and was chosen for an advance reading program and reads at the level of a 7 year old. He enters Grade 1 next week.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks again,

That's excellent, you must be so proud. My friends all planned beginning of the year babies, say they do better at school - I say nonsense! (Born in Nov myself haha)

Their schools sound amazing. :) 

• Like 1

Sassyninja,

Proud indeed!

His first week of Kindy he learned to read and write the alphabet and his name. As he progressed he was given 3 readers a week to read (homework in Kindy!) as well as 10 sight words a week. By the end of Kindy he could count up and down to 100, sight read over 200+ words and has made his way through 2-3 early learner novels and even read the 'Acknowledgement of Country' in his school assembly (which is the hardest part to read, esp when you are 5!).

His school also provides weekly IT training, he does Mathletics and Reading Eggs, and has made his way up to Grade 2 Reading Eggs already and was proud of himself for completing the ABC game, "The Battle for Slugterra", which is popular with the older kids. We've also started working with Scratch, which is MIT's coding program for children.

He's also become rather athletic and was awarded a Gold Medal in the NSW Premier's Sporting Challenge, this from a child who used to complain about walking to the end of our street in Cape Town!

Since he is our eldest I don't have a reference to compare to in South Africa, but I get the feeling he's a lot further ahead than he might have been back there and we are so grateful for the experiences he is having and the input form his wonderful teachers and the schools Principal.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 3