End @ the beginning or starting @ the end....

Neels

Neels I am so very happy for you that it all went so well this time. Hopefully soon you will be shouting "Got it"!

Yay Neels I think I gave you a phantom high-five when I read the good news :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Either nothing happens, or everything happens at once. And sometimes when you are on the outside looking in, or for that matter just listening to (reading) somebody else' story, it's not difficult to think it far fetched or even just a little 'made up'...

It's coming up to the second month since my nomination was approved. At my business things are really looking up, the last 6 to 8 weeks have been just amazing. But the last part of last year and the first couple of months in 2015 was to say the least horrific. Business was going down hill at a rapid pace, we had staff issues, financial and cash flow issues, and it was all just becoming a little too much. Couple that all with the uncertainty of waiting for our visas to be approved, not knowing what is happening when, and it's not difficult to see what kind of stress that can add to any person.

Just over a week ago, my father in-law bumped his head against a bedside table when he slipped in their room. Apparently not very hard. By Friday night he couldn't stand the headache any more and was taken to hospital where he was admitted and treated for an aneurysm. By Sunday he had undergone a craniotomy to relieve the pressure. My wife have been in Pretoria the past week to be with her mother and assist where she can. And I've been at home with the kids doing the dual role of mom and dad and running a business....

And what happens this morning?....

At 03:55 this morning my phone rings, and apart from me almost going through the ceiling, I went cold.. Expecting the worst, but getting the best news I could imagine. The call was from our Migration Agent to tell me that our visas have been approved eventually.

VISAS GRANTED!!!! :jester::king::ilikeit::cry::closedeyes::jester::king:

And I can't share it with anybody, because my wife doesn't want to upset her parents with the news at this stage. I can't celebrate it with anybody because my wife is still in Pretoria, and we want to tell the kids when we are together. A complete let down! Totally the opposite of how I imagined it would feel like when I got the news. Almost surreal.

Thanks to all who helped us pray and had us in your thoughts.

On 14th May 2015, our visas granted and our new live is just where the sun comes up.....

• Like 8

Baie geluk!

• Like 1

Wow, what a story!! Huge congrats on eventually getting the visa!

• Like 1

So happy that your application journey has finally had a positive ending ! Congratulations !!

• Like 1

If you think that the journey eases down a little or takes a break once you get that Grant Letter.... Think again!. :stretcher:

"...so take that to infinity and multiply it with forever...." (or something in that line) from Meet Joe Black

From the start of our application process, we knew that it would be hectic to say the least. But I went and made it even worse..; When we submitted our new nomination application earlier this year my employer asked how soon after the visas get granted can I report for work. So I went and sat down and looked at what I thought was all the angles and told them 6 weeks....

Never in my wildest imagination did I think that it would happen at a time like this where everything is happening at once and at the speed of sound.

Let's go back to that song of David Bowie -

Ground Control to Major Tom

Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

Commencing countdown, engines on
Check ignition and may God's love be with you - Read more: David Bowie - Major Tom Lyrics | MetroLyrics

I think it's going to be a bumpy ride; 10, 9, 8....

Congratulations. All the best with your move! It will be fine. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

I am very impressed with Lerato from IOM and the prompt service and support she gave with regards to our flight inquiry. So our flight booked for June 30th... And I start work on July 6th.

It seems light years into the future, but also just a breath and we're there.

Good on you Neels. All the best with the final preps. We are also heading down to Brisbane on the 30th of June.

• Like 1

A slight change in travel dates.. I got it wrong, we are departing on 29th June and arrive in Melbourne on the 30th. I can't wait to spend some time with the wife and kids showing them around before I start working on 6th of July. :santa:

I still can't believe we are now finally on our way.

• Like 4

Today, with 29 days of our time here in South Africa remaining, the real "shock" of what we are doing has finally set in. It's about 5 pm on a Sunday (31st May), I'm sitting in my man cave caching up on the forum, my wife is 'busy' in our room, my daughter is studying for an exam on Monday and my boy is watching TV or playing XBox.

They are all silently, but very notably, very pissed off with me... :cry: All of us are doing what we are doing through teary eyes. All very emotional. And who is to blame? ....

We just came back from dropping off our two dogs (Lex our Belgian Sheppard and Rommel our Jack Russel) with their new owners.. So for the moment I am not very popular in this house. We all knew it was going to happen,and we all somehow hoped it would be sooner rather than to close to our departure. But this happened so quick. Actually it is a good thing. We decided from the start that we are not going "advertise" the fact that we are looking for new homes for our animals. My missus said, that she knows that the right people will cross our paths when the time is right.

And so it happened, that these people lost their one dog due to age and then their other dog got stolen all in the space of 2 weeks. The man, whom I've known for a couple of years, was a dog handler in the SAPS, but he left and started his own construction company. On Wednesday he walks into my workshop looking for something, and overheard me talking to somebody about us moving to Melbourne. Afterwards he asked me what we are doing with our dogs, and now they are the new owners. It is so amazing how stuff works out. His little boy and our Lex bonded almost immediately when they came to look at the dogs on Wednesday eve.

So even though I'm not very popular at the moment, at least we have peace regarding our dogs. And at least the kids can visit them a couple of times before we depart..

Yesterday we had our first Yard / Garage Sale.. Again I was surprised at how something that seems like junk to one man, can be another man's gold. And how quickly you can turn stuff into cash. All this coming at a very good time. Because at one stage you have a very good looking bank account and the next moment after paying for flights and the container, you're looking at a negative balance... We got rid of quite a few things, but there is more that needs to find another home and fill the hole in my wallet. We are now going through the house again for the second time, and this time it seems easier to get rid of things. I hope it lasts.

My wife is finding it easier every day to find something wrong with what I do, or don't do. Or what I say or don't say.. It seems we are in a constant battle. At least I understand what is happening and how it effects her. But walking on eggs, you are bound to break a couple... Fortunately, her sister is coming to assist her for a few days this week. And after her arrival, I hope things will settle down a little. Otherwise I might start working late to avoid the war...

We know how you guys are feeling! Our dogs are also now in a new home, I cried as did our boys but I have heard that they are settled in their new home & happy. Helps a bit. We are still waiting for a few things before we book our flights so a bit behind you. I thought I would be so excited but I'm getting more scared & second guessing our decision to move! I thinks these last few weeks are going to be very emotional for you guys! Hope your sister-in-law helps calm things!!

• Like 1

So sorry about the dogs. That will really make things hit home for everybody! Good luck. This is a very tough stage of the whole thing...

• Like 1

Mate, I'm so glad you found a good home for your dogs. Some of us weren't so lucky and the emotional upheaval that went with that was mentally very costly.

Reading your posts just made me realized how easily it is to forget all those emotions just before arriving. The upside is that once you here and you have adapted your one set of challenges for another, you start living again. Promise it gets better!!

Could not help but to do a quick search and send you the link - some good cartoons

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=norming+forming+storming+performing+diagram&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=628&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YHhrVY6dE-HZmgWYpIC4CQ&ved=0CBwQsAQ

• Like 1

It's been 3 weeks since our visas were granted. We have done so much, but we have done so little... Have you ever been there?

It feels like we are sitting on a park bench with life just rushing by.. too fast to jump on. In 2 weeks they are loading our container - maybe I should rather go sort stuff

• Like 1

19 days to go...

Today I sold my 'truck'! I have (had) a Ford Ranger 4x4 D/c fully kitted with anything you might need for camping and off road driving. I was surprised how sad it was to see the new owner drive off... :cry: I spent a :censored: load of money on it and lost quite a bit as all those extras don't really help much when you sell it. Same with my off road camping trailer I sold a while back, you just never get what it's worth. Even though I used them both quite regularly, you wonder if all the money that went into it was worth it. But it is what it is. Had to be done, at least now I have a couple of $'s in my (wife's) back pocket.

Execu Move will be here next week Wednesday to start packing and loading. And we are not ready... A lot still needs to happen before then. We sorted everything already, deciding what goes and what stays, but now getting the things that goes into the container ready....that's the thing. I finished cleaning all the camping and fishing gear today, and got started on my garage equipment and tools. Hopefully I'll have that done before this weekend, then I need to tackle my man cave and closet. Leaving that till last, will drive my missus further up the wall :holy:

At least we have our transport to the airport sorted and we'll have a roof over our heads and a warm bed after the container is gone, thanks to our best mates here. I am also not very popular with my missus and the in-laws... I told them (not asked) that they will not see us off at the airport, and it didn't go down well. But I put my foot down, and that is that. After the second night I got used to the spare bedroom... :D:rolleyes:

A question to those who have gone before us: I have traveled to Australia in the past but never with my whole family and also only ever on a visitor visa... What documentation will we need to have with us here at OR Thambo before we depart, and what will we need to have with us when we arrive in Sydney on our way to Melbourne? Rather to be safe...

Edited by Neels
  • Like 2

Neels, in general these days they say the visa is all electronic, you do not need anything. However, I have also seen people say that it is wise to have your visa grant letter with you when leaving Johannesburg. In Australia, everything will be handled electronically, so just fill in on the cards given to you on the aircraft, that you are now here to stay, and passport control should just say "hi and welcome to Australia"!

We look forward to meeting you guys at the day out that Tazzn is arranging!

• Like 1

13 days to go..

It's Tuesday night about 9:30pm. In 12 hours the relocation guys will pitch up here to start packing our lives into crates and boxes....

It's been so long in the making, so very damn quick in happening.. I can't believe how much me and my wife have accomplished these last we days. Just last week we didn't think that we would be ready. Yet here we are now, bar for the last couple of connections like the PC and Televisions, everything is ready to be packed and taken.

This past week or so, there was no time for thinking about anything too much. Our friends and families have done so much more than we could ever thank them for. Without them, I'm sure we would not have been as 'relaxed' as we are. They have taken a lot of strain off my wife. We are so thankful.

We decided not to have an official farewell party. In my view, it would have added a whole lot of unwanted stress. And who do you invite and who not?... Talking about making enemies.. We live in a "small" town, and I know a lot of people through my business, and somehow everybody expects to have a party of some sort. I'd rather spend that money on my wife and kids, treating them for a special evening or something. The people who makes the effort to greet are the ones we care about...

• Like 1

13 days to go..

This past week or so, there was no time for thinking about anything too much.

We decided not to have an official farewell party. In my view, it would have added a whole lot of unwanted stress.

Perhaps reconsider! All I can say is that will be the best investment you can make for the future. To say thank you to your family & friends, they deserve it. It also make it easier to drop them an email or when you revisit SA again, to follow up with them.

We used caterers & private nursery venue (no stress on your side just a credit card), invited all family & friends and had all the tears, speeches and goodbyes there and then; with lots of photos. No presents, farewell gifts etc if they insist give them the contact details of your favorite charity organisation.

Edited by ottg
  • Like 1

7 days to go...

On Friday afternoon just around 14:00 we closed our container and locked it with the new padlock supplied by the Execu Move supervisor. I have nothing but the highest regard for Peter, Sally and Tatum from Execu Move and the crew who did our packing and loading. I recommend using them to anyone. The way they treated us from the word go, right to when the truck with the container pulled out of our driveway. We felt at ease with them, and they left our house and yard even cleaner than they found it.

We have been squatting with friends since Thursday night. And today we spend the day with a lot of friends and family celebrating Fathers day. The rest of the week we have a function almost every evening, so the liver is taking a bit of punishment... :jester::whome::stretcher: