End @ the beginning or starting @ the end....

Neels

So today is my wife's birthday, and the best present she could give me on her birthday was a beautiful boy seven years ago. Happy birthday liefie! En jy moet lekker verjaar my seun! :jester:

Our weekend in the bush was awesome! This place was one of my best ideas this year. I can recommend Phelwana to anyone planning a relaxing weekend in complete luxury while not breaking the bank. Have a look at www.phelwana.co.za and tell them Neels send you... :ilikeit: We had a great time and they looked after us like royalty.

I've put my wife through so much these past 8 years. Fortunately not all bad. That first year of our marriage almost eight years ago, we had a really tough patch! ... :stretcher: . During that one year, we got married, we become pregnant, she started a new job, I started a new business, we had the baby, was separated :cry: , we got back together, we struggled financially, we moved house... you name it! All that in only 11 months. I think when we look back, there will be more good memories than bad. But sitting here this evening, I'm thinking it was all in preparation for this journey we are on. And I'm so lucky to have her as a partner in my life.

We've had tough times. And now we're doing it again! This whole immigrating journey seems even more daunting than what we've done so far. But the nice thing is we know we can do it! We know we've got what it takes to pull through. We know we've got the support base here and over in Melbourne. And best of all we know we've got each other.

So bring it on!

• Like 4

I'm so pleased you guys had a great weekend - such a great memory to carry with you! :)

I hope the last few days are smooth sailing without hectic speed-bumps!

• Like 1

T minus 10...

Oh boy! The majority of what have to be completed before I depart, has been done. But it's the small things and the nitty gritty that is taking the most time and effort. But I've got my lovely wife supporting me and this verse from Rom 8:31...

A few set-backs these past couple of days. I don't even want to mention them (taking the 5th.. :ph34r: )... Our biggest concern still at this stage is the dreaded form 1229. This guy is bringing out the worst in me and out of me. But I promised myself not to go to his level and remain calm and humble. Doesn't seem that our prayers alone is enough, so if a couple of you guys might add us to your prayers please?.. :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 3

Will certainly do so Neels...

• Like 1

I'll pray for you Neels. Keep us updated and let us know how it goes

• Like 1

Wow! Seems there are so many people having spend their last weekend here in Old RS of A... Happy travels, happy days... :o

We had our farewell party over the weekend. Not a very big thing, just a couple of close friends and a few of my senior employees. All went well and we had a great evening. Later as the majority of people left, was when the fun and games started... :ph34r::wacko:

My best friend (and we've been close for more than a decade) just all of a sudden became the biggest a..hole. Started mouthing off on how I disappointed him and how we are running out on them and what a bad patriot I am and this and that, even bringing up my parents and how we could just leave them behind... I was so taken aback and shocked. He has been my support during the past couple of months, I confided in him all my fears and excitement, I shared with him our dreams and future plans. To turn around like this... Okay, he had too much to drink, and he called me on Sunday, to say how sorry he was. But now I know how he really feels, and it's breaking my heart.. :excl:

As if what we are dealing with is not enough?!!!

I'm flying out on Sunday evening, and tomorrow morning I'm taking my father to see a Orthopedic Surgeon to possibly have his left foot amputated... He suffered a massive stroke a couple of months ago and lost the use of his left arm and leg. It's just been going down hill from there, but doing worse over the past few weeks. Lack of circulation is causing unbearable pain, and the foot is turning all shades of purple. The worst part is, that he has no health care or medical cover. My mother and he is on State pension and we have to take him to the local Government hospital. There is just no other choice, and to be honest, I don't want to take him. He doesn't want to go there. But none of us can afford the private hospital and all the associated costs. So we just pray everything will work out okay.

I still have a couple of plastic containers to pack in my garage and workshop, already missed most of the weekend and today. So hopefully by tomorrow evening I'll be able to continue my sorting out and packing in...

Have a good night all! And an awesome day to all you Aussies.

Edited by Neels

It is so hard when one has elderly parents that are not well. I will say a little prayer for you so that you are given strength to get through everything the last few days.

• Like 1

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

I dont have anything to say that will help.

How can we leave our parents? And we look at our kids and how can we not...?

How can we leave our parents? And we look at our kids and how can we not...?

Yeah! It's like that!.. Thanks for the support.

Sharing it all here is not a cry for help, it's more of a vent for build up "steam" and frustration... And it really helps. :magic:

• Like 2

I would like to thank everyone who prayed for us or even just thought about us these past couple of days. Yesterday morning we received a call from DOHA to say our daughter's unabridged birth certificate is ready to collect. We applied on 2 July 2014... And even on Tuesday they still said they were waiting for some supervisor to sign off on the documents.. Thank You our Father!

Let me share with you the state of our public health system here in Mpumalanga. In a short sentence - It's beyond shocking: This is not for sensitive viewers.

AS I mentioned before, we had to take my dad to a government Hospital here in Lydenburg on Tuesday morning. I wish I could afford to have him admitted to a private clinic or hospital, but we can't. His foot and leg are even worse than on Monday. Any case: I dropped him and my mother off at the out patients of the hospital at 08:00 on Tuesday with a letter in hand from my doctor explaining his findings regarding the urgency of the matter and the extent of his situation. My one sister, who is also a registered nurse working at a local Home for the Aged, accompanied them.

Firstly it took them about 3 hours before they were able to see the doctor who admitted him to the ward. A young White Afrikaans doctor (I have a couple of other names for him after this) he didn't even talk to them properly. Then after he was admitted to the ward........Nothing, nada. At about 16:00 I went to fetch my mother, so she could get some bedding from home, because they had no linen for the patients. :angry2: When we returned at 18:00 for visiting hour, the doctor still haven't been to the ward, no medication, no treatment, no nothing.

Reluctantly we left there Tuesday night. I had a very early meeting with an insurance company, so could not take my mother for the early visiting. But at 10am on Wednesday I picked her up (with my sister again) and returned to hospital to find a very sorry sight! Now I'm used to a lot. I used to be in the SA Police force, I was a TPA Traffic Officer, I'm also a volunteer EMS, so I've seen my share of bad things.... But walking in there yesterday morning, seeing my father (who is already almost completely paralyzed due to the stroke he suffered) lying there, crying when he saw us, because they just left him with no medication, he wet himself, he was starving and had no water, because one of the other patients took his water. Needless to say, we decided then and there to take him out of the :censored:-hole. Back home to where he can be looked after, but that doesn't heal his leg and foot - Where to now? Just another government Hospital with even worse problems?... There is NO service, they don't give a damn about you, the ones who does do their work is so limited to what they can do and what they have to do it with.

But that is something we will sort out between me and my sisters...

The reason behind me mentioning this to you, is not for pity or anything like that. Even though a 100K will do nicely to remedy the matter :blush-anim-cl:. It's for those who have no dealing with this part of our day to day lives in South Africa. A lot of people in this beautiful country of ours have no idea what the sick and the poor have to deal with, whether they are White or Brown or Black. And it's a shame that our government does nothing to improve the situation on the ground. And even worse is the fact that the opposition parties seem to turn a blind eye and rather worry about the presidential residence or his children than sorting out the things that the people have to suffer with.

We are some of the fortunate few that might be able to leave this all behind. To go on to something new and better. And for those we leave behind... we can only pray that you don't have to be dependent on what this government has to do for you.

I leave in 3 days, and I'm happy and I'm sad. I am relieved and I'm stressed.

• Like 3

We understand that this is not the circumstances in which you wanted to leave... We think of your family in our prayers and trust that all will work out for the best. We also have older family members who had strokes, it is a very disturbing illness to deal with. It reminds one of our short and fragile existence. Also to make most of each day while we have our health, which is pure mercy from God.

Sterkte, 'this too, will pass'.

• Like 2

Eish! This past week was just a blur. Gone in 60 seconds!

I arrived in Sydney on Monday afternoon and on from there to Melbourne, where I was whisked away to my cousin's home in Wallan. Here where I'm sitting now I'm quite tired, but had a very good first night's rest.

In the morning I'll go into the city to visit my new employer and to sort out the last couple of details.

Just a short "report" to say I'm all well and arrived.

• Like 3

Fantastic news Neels, look forward to meeting you.

Glad to hear all is well, can't wait to read your 'short report' how your journey went. :)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I haven't been here for a while....

The last time I made a post on this forum was 111 days ago! Can you believe it?!... So much has happened! So many disappointments, so much joy, anger, contentment. Up, down, up, down, sideways.... "Ground control to Major Tom..."

Well there is only one way to do this and that is to recap and pick up where I left off on December 2, 2014. :yawn: But I won't bore you to death all at once....

Part 1;

My trip to Melbourne via Sydney was to say the least pretty uneventful. I arrived on Monday 1 December in the late afternoon. The first 2 days, the time difference and the 'jet lag' got the better of me. But I got into the swing of things quite quick and by the Wednesday it felt like I never left. Here I am on the verge of getting into my new life, happy like a kid in a candy store. Not knowing what is beyond the next bend, but not worrying either.. Everything is set and ready for the new start, the new book.... Or was it?

As an Afrikaans boertjie, we grow up knowing that life's challenges and disappointments comes in three's. If something bad happens, we wait for number 2 and then number 3 to happen. And it normally don't disappoint - 1, 2 and 3... Let's regroup, get a little more positive for a while and wait for the next 1, 2 , 3.... Am I right?

Well, a long time ago I chose to ignore the number 2, and never wait for number 3. So each time something happens, it's number 1, not linked to the next number 1. And that has worked for me. But sometimes, the number 1's happen so quick that before you know it, you're counting 2, 3, 4.... Back to my journal.

On the Tuesday afternoon the 2nd of December, just after I made my last post here (#64) I phoned my new employer to confirm our visit for the next day, but couldn't get hold of him.. (number 1?..) It didn't bother me much, as I eventually reached him later that day. But he couldn't make our appointment because he was in Sydney. (number 2?..) But said I should call him the Friday morning and then meet up with him in the city during the day. Again I thought nothing of it. At least it gives me a little more time to get over my 'jet lag' and settle in....3....4....

To make a long story a little shorter - when I eventually got hold of my new boss late of the Friday afternoon, I was again told that he was still in Sydney. He called me back on Saturday morning, informing me that he has some bad news, but that I should come see him on the Monday. And after I walked out of our meeting the Monday, I was unemployed.... :cry::stretcher: Disappointment x 100!!

The company ran into financial problems during the middle part of 2014, but there was always hope that they would manage to get it back on track. But their number 1 and 2 and 3 happened and then a 4 and 5... You get the picture?! He told me they never thought that the nomination would be approved. Now I don't know how this kind of thing works and what all the red tape and stuff is, but I knew I was f.. :censored: ed. What now? What about all the money we invested, the time and energy. My wife and kids were supposed to join me during January 2015... They were supposed to start school. I was supposed to have a job. The job is my safety net, without the job, I have to go back to South Africa..

By now I have been lying to my wife for almost a week. Telling her everything is fine and perfect, nice people at work etc etc. Didn't want to get her worried and even more negative and worked up. She had enough to deal with by herself. I was ready to give up! I started looking at getting my return ticket back home and putting it all behind me. And listen to all the "I told you so's". At that stage I was living with my cousin and his family. I also haven't told him anything. I felt used, belittled, embarrassed. I was so negative and felt depressed.

I took the tram from where I was in the city, back to Southern Cross station. I didn't want to take the train home yet, because they would notice something wrong when I get there too early. I just sat there! I don't even know how long. Like a zombie. Just sitting there staring at everything happening around me. December in Melbourne the sun only sets around 20:30 or even later. (remember it's daylight saving) And it doesn't really get quieter. Always a steady stream of people, coming and going. Getting on the trains and getting off the trains. It's actually awesome to experience.

That was when I decided to come clean, and not to allow the situation to get the better of me. That was when I decided I am not going to give up!

When I arrived the previous week, I bought a $30 Vodaphone recharge voucher. It gives you about $400 call credit and some data. I took my phone and called my wife. It was about 1 pm back home and I spilled the beans. Told her everything, crying as we talked. Us both! At the end she told me to get on the train and go "home" get some rest and her words was "Tomorrow is a new day, with new opportunities. We will do this together!"

End of part 1.... I am going to bed now. :yawn:

• Like 1

After I spoke to my wife and we decided that this situation is not going to get us under. I felt a lot better... I got on the train and went to my Aussie home where my cousin and his wife was still up. For the first time that day, I gave in to my urge to drown my sorrows... :whome:

I just had to get some kind of regular heartbeat going again. And if I may advertise a little here - Jagermeister came to it's true medicinal purpose. A couple of those and I was as chilled as an ice cube. Me, my cousin and his wife sat and talked until about 3 am the next morning. It's awesome to know when you have a support base to count on. My lovey back home, and my family and friends in Oz.

Have I mentioned that I am not a quitter? (Okay okay, I quit once before - I quit smoking 6 years ago)

So it started again. Job hunting! This time though I was in Australia, with an Aussie number, and even more back-up and support than before. But it was the second week of December, not many companies looking to employ someone just before they close for the Christmas break. But that didn't stop me.... Me and my wife prayed about it, my cousin and all the friends we have there prayed, and I tell you what an Awesome God we have!!

By that Thursday 11 December, I already had 3 interviews lined up of which one wanted to see me the Friday and they seemed very keen. By that Friday when I was on my way into the city for my first interview, I got a call from a firm in Brisbane. They liked my resume and wanted me to start asap. Willing to take over my sponsorship and making a lot of promises on the phone. I decided to give them a shot, but first to my interview in Richmond.

I met Chris and his team and we just clicked almost at once. They are a 'young' bunch, a very vibrant feel and a very good interview. Only one problem - they have not sponsored someone yet.. That might be an issue, but one we can overcome. But one thing I already learned in the land of Oz - "it is what it is"!. I felt very good after my interview and I knew that these guys would be a place where I would like to work.

The next morning, being Saturday, I bought a ticket to Brisbane for the Monday morning, booked a place to stay for a few nights and arranged to see the other company in Newmarket, Brisbane. Decided that while I am offered this opportunity, I might as well do some sight seeing as I have never been to Brisbane. And to be honest, Brisbane was never even on my radar due to our family and friends all living in Victoria.

All in all, that was a very good week. Strange, but good. The rest of the weekend we spend driving around in the country side, went to church on the Sunday and then had a nice Sunday BBQ with friends. Monday morning I had an early flight to Brisbane... More about that later.

• Like 4

Neels, I could barely wait for the next instalment and now you are making us wait again!

Sorry, In2mindsNoMore

There is only so much time in a day as I'm sure you know. And now it's time to spend with my missus.. But maybe I'll be able to continue before bed.

• Like 1