We have arrived: The Whelan Cronicles

rikamarie

So the contract is signed and I'm officially starting the 3rd of Feb. My shifts are not so great, I must admit, but it's ok.

Our fridge arrives today! Thank goodness!

• Like 3

Congratulations, its really encouraging to see new arivals' get a break in life with jobs, accomodation and settling so well.

• Like 1

So we've had a quiet week so far. Really glad we can do groceries again!

We got our car back today. In the end it was the sensor that picks up that it must change gears, that broke and basically blew into 1000 pieces. They had to look for every single piece within the engin. This took long but it's done. We didn't pay as much as we thought. Thank goodness.

Medicare cards arrived today. Yay!

Really looking forward to Australia day! Fireworks on the riverbank of Swan river! 400 000 people all getting together. Should be spectacular!

Edited by rikamarie
  • Like 3

Wow, thats great news. Take pics if you can of the fireworks and send us one? Pretty please... With a cherry on top?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Argh.. I wrote a whole long post and the brower closed.. :glare::cry: Now I have to start all over again, and this time it won't be so long..

Let's start with the long weekend. We totally had a blast! On Saturday we had breakfast at the beach, after that we went to Hillary's boat harbour and had a nice milkshake, after that we went to the Aquarium which was a great experience. Totally love the tunnel!

On Sunday we went through to Perth for the Sky works and it was mind blowing! There we met up with our uncle and had some supper. We really enjoyed it. We sat 1m from the riverbank. What an experience. Our uncle also a brought a bag for us from South Africa with the last minute things that we couldn't fit into our luggage. It was very nice to see those things again!

On Monday we went to Yanchep national park in hopes of seeing some kangaroo's and koala bears, but we had arrived too late and they were already hiding because of the heat. But at least we saw 3. The koalas were very high up in the tree, so we could barely see them. We had another milkshake and took a 2km hike around Lake Mcness with Zoey in her 3-wheel 4x4 pram. It was fun!

The rest of the week we have been busy doing some final shopping for the house. Bought a nice tv unit at the Balcatta refuge site for $50 as well as a few other cheap things. We have learnt to love the refuge sites!

We both received our licences this week, which is also great. We also received our Tax reference numbers, which meant we can apply for the family tax benefit and child care rebate. My husband has not secured a job yet, so that benefit will come in handy.

Regarding my husband joining the WA police.. He has passed his physical examination, he now has to pass his psychological test on Tuesday and then after that he must pass his psychological interview and then a panel interview and then only can he start with his 28 week training program to become a police officer. Crossing our fingers it all works out for him.

We met up with fellow forum members, Debbie Schutte and her family on Thursday. They invited us for a picnic at the beach. It was so nice meeting up with them. We had met up before on get togethers and it felt a bit strange meeting up with them here in Australia. We ended up having coffee at their place.. Lovely!!

Today a month ago we got on that plane to Australia. We waved to the family until the bitter end and we got off the plane with a feeling of freedom. So we are making our first leg of lamb today to have tomorrow, to celebrate our 1 month anniversary in Australia.

On Friday I had a 4 hour induction at the daycare centre that I will be working at. I really did not look forward to it, but I must admit that I felt much better leaving there and I am now more prepared for Monday than what I was. So yeah, you guessed it, I start working on Monday. After a 2 month "holiday", it is back to work for me. The hours will be something to get use to. I work 8:30-17:00, Mondays-Fridays. I am used to working 7:00-15:00, so it is not the amount of hours but rather the late start and the late finish.

Will keep you posted on my first day...

• Like 5

Thanks for taking the time to write that journal entry a second time! It's so nice for those of us behind you to hear how it's all panning out. Good luck with the start of work on Monday, you have done so well!

• Like 1

Loved reading this and hearing how happy you are and how you are starting to really settle in. :)

All the best for your hubby, hope he passes everything with flying colours!

• Like 2

Also Love reading your whole settle in process.

Pretty Sure you guys are the reason we stay positive on this side.

• Like 2

Thanks everybody!

My week started a bit rocky. My first day on the was horrible. people are not very friendly and the kids were pushing my boundaries which is normal. But still I cried all the way home. Bit like a child... haha. I think it was reality setting in. The hours are so long and iI was so sad that the mommies and daddies could fetch their kids early but my own daughter will have to go home late becauae I work so late.

My second day went much better as I knew the routine and the kids names etc. and that helped. I already had to complete a group observation and an individual evaluation.

I am so used to formal education, so daycare really is something to get used to. I also had an opportunity to chat with two other teachers and they were so surprised that I wasn't rather working at a primary school. I explained that I couldn't get a job because I had no Australian experience. Both of them said that now that I am working and in the country, I should start looking out for primary school positions because daycare has such long hours and with my qualifications, it is just a waste that I am not using them.

So I felt a bit more encouraged and will definately look out for and apply for pre-primary school positions at primary schools if and when advertised.

My husband will find out today if he passed his test and be invited for the next round of interviews.

• Like 2

Hi Rikamarie (hugs) those first few days in a new job are never nice but I'm sure things will settle down. If I may give you a little tip? People in Australia don't say 'fetch the kids', it's much better to say 'pick up the kids'. I once got cr@pped out for saying that I was fetching my kids. This really nasty woman I worked with said to me 'We don't fetch our kids, only dogs fetch sticks!' And after that when I said it accidentally in front of other Australians I noticed they looked at me funny ;-) so maybe it will help you to know this, since you're in the industry and you might have to say it often. B :)

• Like 1

Hi Rikamarie (hugs) those first few days in a new job are never nice but I'm sure things will settle down. If I may give you a little tip? People in Australia don't say 'fetch the kids', it's much better to say 'pick up the kids'. I once got cr@pped out for saying that I was fetching my kids. This really nasty woman I worked with said to me 'We don't fetch our kids, only dogs fetch sticks!' And after that when I said it accidentally in front of other Australians I noticed they looked at me funny ;-) so maybe it will help you to know this, since you're in the industry and you might have to say it often. B :)

Hehe.. Oops.. Thanks! Appreciate it!

• Like 1

You MIGHT have mentioned that in SA only bricks and drunken sailors are picked up - depending on the circumstances ...... ;)

But I don't think of these things easily either .....

• Like 4

Interesting.....but what a little rotter to be so anal-retentive about it. It's the frog in the well syndrome - if I'm green and I swim with my right foot first then, HELL, everyone else better be exactly the same. Sigh....don't mind me. Sometimes, I think people should take it easy. I'm sure she understood what you said. Just because only her dogs were fetching, doesn't mean she has to advertise the fact that she isn't ;)

• Like 1

hugs Rikamarie... maybe just stick with it for 6 months, build up the experience etc, I'm sure working there will also give you loads of skills and info on how things work, that you can transfer across.

That said, I really hope a primary school has something for you soon! That would be super :)

• Like 1

hugs Rikamarie... maybe just stick with it for 6 months, build up the experience etc, I'm sure working there will also give you loads of skills and info on how things work, that you can transfer across.

That said, I really hope a primary school has something for you soon! That would be super :)

Thanks, at this stage I am really considering all my options. As the children (4 years old) were playing outside today, I suddenly had this sunken feeling that I just don't belong there. Still, I think it is just reality setting in.

Tomorrow I have the class all to myself :ilikeit: which is great! Having 2 teachers in the class and an assistant is a bit much for me. There are only 15 kids. I am used to teaching 36 children at one time in a classroom setting all by myself. That is the way it went for 4 years. You just manage to cope on your own. With the other teacher there, I feel as if I am just in the way. My responsibilities are to be a pre-primary school teacher and to help these children get ready for "big school". But I can only do this about once a day, if the activity is finished, then that is it. I just help out the rest of the day etc.

The Early Years Learning framework also doesn't allow "prepared" activities. So I am not really allowed to prepare material or resources or lesson plans. I have to see what the learners interests are for the day and just follow up on it. Which gives a nice twist to the day but it also makes it so difficult. I am used to sitting down during the holiday, prepare lessons for the whole term and then following those lessons plans. Again, I am use to formal education.

Saturday I have a first aid course (9am - 5pm - ouch!). So I basically only have Sunday to rest and spend quality time with my family, which also won't happen, because we are meeting up with our uncle at 12:00 to fetch our aunt at perth airport at 13:00.

Anyway, now I am just babbling.. Bottom line... I am blessed to have a job so soon and therefor I am greatful! :)

• Like 2

Rikamarie, just think that you are bringing so much to these kids just by being there! Even your presence in their classroom will bring to them a sense of what you really are about. So don't stress about what you can and can't do yet. If you think of this as a stepping stone to where you are ultimately meant to be, it will help you not to drain your energy too much and just be light about whatever you are doing. You and your husband have done amazing things already. Big hugs to you x

• Like 1

Rikamarie... I'm not a teacher, so feel free to tell me to go jump, but I think in your shoes I would still prep, but prep around themes that 4 year olds are usually interested in? Make believe/dress up/playing shop/music or dancing/introducing a letter or two of the alphabet if they show an interest in reading/patterns if they show interest in learning to write/practice sheets for each one to write their names or make a crown with their names on, etc.

If they have a favourite book, maybe do a themed activity around that?

Sorry... I just think it must be so difficult to work that way! I might just go nuts, lol.

My thinking here is just make up about 20 kits on themes that you feel will probably come up - animals, insects, spiders, snakes (my almost 4-year old is obsessed with snakes for some reason!?!), then you can draw on them as you see the kids head in a certain direction.

Shew... that must be nice for the kids but I'm sure it makes it extremely difficult for the teachers.

Thinking of you - hang in there.

PS I think we all have moments of "I don't belong" when starting a new job, even if it's mostly great, we're human, we like what we know, we crave the familiar. Vasbyt.

• Like 1

Rikamarie... I'm not a teacher, so feel free to tell me to go jump, but I think in your shoes I would still prep, but prep around themes that 4 year olds are usually interested in? Make believe/dress up/playing shop/music or dancing/introducing a letter or two of the alphabet if they show an interest in reading/patterns if they show interest in learning to write/practice sheets for each one to write their names or make a crown with their names on, etc.

If they have a favourite book, maybe do a themed activity around that?

Sorry... I just think it must be so difficult to work that way! I might just go nuts, lol.

My thinking here is just make up about 20 kits on themes that you feel will probably come up - animals, insects, spiders, snakes (my almost 4-year old is obsessed with snakes for some reason!?!), then you can draw on them as you see the kids head in a certain direction.

My 4 year old is at a KU pre school, and the above is how they do it.

Everyday they set up little scenarios in a certain area in the space. Sometimes I come in and there is a "post office" in the corner, next day a "restaurant", then a "office", then a "hospital", etc. So you can steer play/learning in a certain direction.

Its early days for you yet, take it easy, get at least 6 months experience for your CV and take it from there.

Ja you can gently 'suggest' ideas so they think they thought of it themselves...

Thanks for the advice, but this curriculum does not like themes. Said so in my prep. Oh whatever.... that is what I am feeling at the moment.

I have been in tears so many times this week about the job, that I am really feeling down at this stage.

Today a boy hit me with his fist on the left side of my chest, so hard that I was almost off my feet. This boy just looks at you and laughs at you when you are scolding at him for doing something he is not suppose to. He flat out ignored everything that I asked and said and he is a real bully. Thank goodness today was his last day a our daycare centre. The mum is totally in denial about the boy and has ignored all the pleas from the teachers to get him tested. Felt totally powerless today.

But it is not just him that ignores you. Ignoring here under the children seems like a trend. If you don't like what you hear, ignore it.. whether you are obliged to or it is your duty.. never mind just ignore it. What?!

I will have to make a big mind shift regarding the kids here. They are much different.

So settling in in Australia means settling into the culture and dealing with different cultures, and that you can only do once you start working. We had a holiday in January, that is exactly what it was, a holiday.

I am not being negative because I absolutely love it here, but all I can say is that I was not prepared for this. I am just being totally honest. So now the challenge is to deal with these emotions and to find a way to work with these children and to respect their culture and who they are and how they are being taught.

Today we received our boxes from Sevenseas. We were very excited about it, but a bit disappointed that we did not pack in more of the things that we gave away. We could have rather spent more rands and kept some of the things we gave away. The best things we packed in was our daughters toys. She loved seeing it again and playing with it again.

Things that we regretted packing was all the baby goods, like bottles and dummies and the bottle steamer etc. They are so cheap here, that it was just a waste of space to bring them. Oh well. Now we know and it is no use crying over spilled milk.

I was suppose to have a first aid course tomorrow but thankfully it got canceled. Now I can have a good rest and just enjoy spending time with my family.

• Like 1

That sounds just awful Rikamarie. I would have been really shocked by such behaviour. Hope next week goes a lot better for you.

• Like 1

Whew, guess you ran into a real mongrel. Mum in denial.....no surprises there. With a few exceptions, you usually find that the feral kids' parents are the ones who will not tolerate for a moment any suggestion that their kid is badly behaved, has no respect for authority, needs help, etc.

Please do prepare yourself mentally for this kind of thing to happen, albeit not very often. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but there are plenty of ferals out there and you need to be ready to deal with them. There is an epidemic of people with no idea how to raise kids, so the little devils angels do what they want. Betcha this little man socks his mom too, and she probably responds with "Now that's not very nice, darling". This isn't about respecting anyone's culture - there's no culture on earth that condones this sort of violent behaviour from anyone, let alone kids. This is simply self-centred idiots raising the next generation of self-centred idiots and inflicting them onto the rest of society. We know several Aussie families - of more than one ethnic background - with young kids and I assure you that none of them would consider this expected, normal or acceptable behaviour.

Did any of your colleagues tell you about this kid before you interacted with him?

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and a better week ahead.

May I also say that, for every little rotter you find, there's several kids that will put a smile on your face. At least - I certainly you'll find lots of those!

I should also apologise to mongrels everywhere for the implied association above. I grew up with more than one mongrel as a child and they were all wonderful dogs that I loved - nothing like this.

• Like 3

Rikamarie there is no excuse for the children's bad behaviour! I often see parents pleading with their little 'darlings' in the shops and I wonder where it is all going so wrong. You will have to be firm about your expectations, tough if they don't like it, they will learn to respect you.

I also wanted to say that if they all/often seem to ignore you when you speak, it might be an accent thing. We have been here 7 years and are english-speaking, but I was surprised about a year ago when my daughter said 'my friends like you but they don't understand half of what you say!'

Now I speak slower and watch to see if they 'get' what I've said. Also if you ask a question, go up at the end (if you know what I mean). I find if I keep my tone flat even my own kids don't look at me, they perceive it as a statement and not a question.

Kids can be very awkward until they know you. Vasbyt!

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1