We have arrived: The Whelan Cronicles

rikamarie

Wow. Your journey sounds very exciting! I am really holding thumbs for you regarding the jobs. Good luck! I am getting excited for you and I don't even know you.

• Like 1

Good stuff!

Echo the comments re: private rentals as there are pitfalls, but we rented privately for the first year and only moved because we needed a bigger place. Landlord was an absolute gem. So suss out the place and the owners, make sure the paperwork is in order, eg. they should give you a receipt for your bond and advance, give you proof that the bond was properly lodged, etc. If that's all done above board and they're decent folks, it can be a good deal.

All the best!

• Like 1

We had such a lovely day! At 9:30 we met the owner of a rental in Tapping and she told us that she had 35 other applicants but when she saw our application, she was impressed by it and thought that she definitely wants to meet us. So we had a chat were her, looked at the house and loved it! So we said we'll take it, and wham.... secured a rental! So happy with that. We an move in next week Saturday. Yay! Finally Zoey can have her own room again! And her own toys and own everything. Shame not playing with your own toys for 2 months on end is difficult for such a little one to understand.

Went up to Yanchep, because they had verge (saw the items o the verge last night when we came back from the beach, but it was dark, so we couldn't really see what was lying there), but when we got there this morning, everything was gone. The refuse trucks had come early to pick up everything. Oh well, next time!

At 2pm I met the Centre coordinator of Buggles in Beldon and had a tour of the school. I like this school as much as I like Goodstart, so on my way home I didn't know which school I was going to choose. Beldon is farther from Tapping than Goodstart (which is in Tapping!) and if I take the job at Buggles, Zoey will be in my room (that won't work!), whereas if I take the job at Goodstart, she can be in the neighboring Goodstart, because there are so many Goodstart centres. Decisions, decisions. So I am leaning towards Goodstart more. I am just waiting for a final offer from both schools, which will give me an indication of what exactly are they offering me. I understand that there is a minimum wage and I saw the tables of the award salaries, but I want to see in writing what they are offering, because the at Buggles I will be lead teacher, whereas at Goodstart I will be an Early Childhood Teacher... Difference?! I have no idea...!

After that I came home and filled in Zoey's paperwork for Goodstart Joondalup, I have to take it in tomorrow and she can start daycare on Monday :ilikeit: Settling is usually difficult for her in a new school, so I want her to go as soon as possible so that she can settle, which will mean I will feel better dropping her off in the mornings.

Something funny... Our friends go to bed earlier at night, at around 9:30 and we usually go to bed a bit later. So that means we have to put off all the lights etc. before going to bed. So obviously we lock up everything, close all the windows and doors etc. before going to bed. Last night our friend said to us, it is not necessary to close everything, please leave some doors open and just close the flyscreen so that that is a breeze blowing though the house during the night. We had a good laugh about this. You can see we are from South Africa... :lol:

We received our bank cards in the post today... Yay! More proof of identity! B)

• Like 1

How exciting!!! Sounds like everything is falling into place! What an enviable position to be in to have 2 jobs yours for the taking...wow...you are really fortunate!! Even if they are rather vague...still that is so fantastic!

Laughed about the picking up stuff on the verge thing, it is actually really cool...we planning to do that for our month of camping in Melbourne before the container arrives. Apparently you can get some good stuff that way :)

So happy it is going well for you. Before you know it you will be feeling like everything is very familiar.

Huge hugs!!! You doing awesome!

• Like 1

I love reading your posts rikamarie. Please let us know the moment you land the job you decided on! So happy for you guys. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Fantastic! Good stuff with the rental and job!! That's a really great way to kick off the year. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Rikamarie, try a different post office for your ato. The one we went to phoned ato to ask if they can use our paper Medicare cards and they said yes (this is the only thing we could use it for) or if they say the same thing, ask them to phone ato while you wait. Our Medicare card to 6 weeks!

Once you have that you can apply for your drivers ( you do need the original). Also, at the post office you can pick up a free copy of learning to drive which gives you a much needed rules for driving in WA. There are a few that is different to SA.

• Like 1

Hi Rikamarie

I have been following your journey and it is so wonderful to read your continuing adventure now that you have arrived :blush-anim-cl:

Everyone can relate in one way or another and all this valuable information will help when we arrive there too!!

Thanks so much and please keep posting :ilikeit:

Good luck with everything x

Edited by TammyP
  • Like 2

Update. Friday we went to Tamala Park refuse and bought our daughter a scooter for $2. Bargain! It is still in good condition and she doesn't know the difference between a new one and an old one, she can play with it, and that is all that matters. We also bought 2 small chairs for her room for $1 each. Bargain!

Went to the post office to have 4 documents certified and paid $4.95 each to have it certified :blink: OUCH!!! Any advice on other places to have documents certified for cheaper?

Went to Zoey's school to give in the paperwork and all is set for her to go to daycare tomorrow. This will help a lot, because then my husband and I are a bit more free to go about our business without having to worry about her and if she is happy or not, does she need to make a wee, is she hungry, etc. :lol:

Saturday we went to Balcutta refuse to see what they have there and we didn't see anything worth buying. After that we went to Kingsley and Padbury, which has verge for the next week and a half. Picked up a pink small table for Zoey's room, which will fit nicely with the chairs. Also picked up a small wooden cupboard which is still in very good condition. After that we just came home and we were literally in the house under the aircon the whole day, because with temperatures of 44 outside, we did't dare go outside.

At 19:00 we went to Yanchep beach to swim. The water was colder than expected but it was fun anyway.

At 20:00 we had a skype session with the family and that was fun and special in itself. We watched "The castle" last night and it was so funny! What a good/classic Australian movie. When we went to bed at 22:30 it was 36 degrees! When I woke up at 2am, it was 34 degrees :o

Today we are going to Kingsley community church as per invitation by friends and then we are having lunch with them. Looking forward to the day.

• Like 1

There is a JP available for witnessing documents at the Joondalup Court. We had to do some paperwork witnessed a couple of years ago and we went to Joondalup and got it done for free. They're only available Mon - Fri but not sure of the actual times. We went around mid-morning if I remember correctly.

Alternatively, if your friends know a CA or CPA, etc who's willing to do t for free, that's also possible. You could also check with the City of Joondalup and Wanneroo whether either of them offer a JP service at their library, etc on any day of the week.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input!

So yesterday and today we shopped! We are moving into our rental over the weekend and we have absolutely no furniture. So we bought the usual stuff needed.. A bed, A fridge etc. It was fun but expensive, but I think we made a good choice on all we bought. We literally went from shop to shop to shop to compare prices etc.

Our daughter started daycare yesterday and her first day she did really well. She only spoke 2 words, which was "water" at afternoon tea and "mamma" when she saw me the afternoon. There is actually a staff member who speaks afrikaans, so that helps a lot! Her 2nd day, she had a lot of potty accidents, but none the less, she had a great day and she hasn't cried 1 tear. She loves going to school and the staff commented that they could see she was in daycare previously.

Tomorrow we are going to shop for sofas, they are not cheap, so we need to find a good deal somewhere!

• Like 1

Great news that your daughter did well on her first day! :ilikeit:

Enjoy the shopping!

• Like 1

Hope your little one settles in quickly, she's doing so well already! How handy that they have someone who talks a familiar language to her as well :)

Hope the rest of the shopping goes well!

• Like 1

Update!

We managed to buy sofas for the lounge and some more essentials this week. We are moving in tomorrow! Most of stuff will be delivered tomorrow. Really looking forward to be in our own place with our own stuff etc.. and to have some privacy one again.

Been waiting for Goodstart to give me a final offer for the job, then Tuesday they phoned to say they are still waiting for the one school I worked at, to complete the reference form and send it back. So I immediately sent messages to everyone at the school I still knew. Turned out the admin lady deleted it. So I got Goodstart to send it through again. Send messages again and today at 17:00 the lady let me know she received the reference. Thank goodness.

Next is my medical. At least that was just a form I could email to my doctor back in RSA, she quickly responded, filled it in, and faxed it back to me and I've forwarded that. Now I have to certify the copy of my receipt, proving that I've applied for my working with children check card. And then hopefully I will get that final offer.

Today we also applied for our TFN numbers. Hopefully it doesn't really take 4 weeks to process. Need it for centrelink to claim rebate for Zoey's daycare. We paid $1460!!! for her daycare monthly fee.

Also applied for the Aussie drivers licence today as well as set up a Telstra account and went for a home bundle landline wi-fi deal. Awesome!

• Like 3

Yeah so exciting, enjoy the move :D Let us know when you hear from Goodstart.

Also......... WHAT $1460? :blink: I almost fell off my chair! How much is the rebate and do you get it every month?

• Like 1

Yeah so exciting, enjoy the move :D Let us know when you hear from Goodstart.

Also......... WHAT $1460? :blink: I almost fell off my chair! How much is the rebate and do you get it every month?

Yes, it is ridiculous, that is why claiming family tax benifits ans childxare rebate is so important. Also because I am working at Goodstart and because Zoey is also in goodstart, I will get 50% discount.

Hi Rikamarie, how are you getting on? I've really enjoyed reading your chronicles!

A few questions for you if you have the time! (Or anyone else who could offer advice)

When you mention your medical, do you mean medicare? And what did they require from your GP?

Also, is the day care from 8am-6pm? That's about how much it cots here in the UK for under 3's.

Do you know if children get any grants for childcare from the government from age 3+ (we get 15 hours in the UK for children aged 3-4 and I'm sure I read somewhere it's the same there?) And do they start school age 5?

Sorry to bombard you with questions! We are still undecided about moving to Perth or Brisbane. I think it all depends on where I can get work as a secondary school teacher. I wish someone could tell me where it's more likely to find work! I wish I had a job lined up like you did. I will even be happy with relief work to get me started. We're planning on coming at the end of April this year (that's when the second term starts right?)

If we choose Perth, then hope to see you there! Good luck with everything, hope all goes well for you.

Eliza

Hi. I answered under you questions.

Hi Rikamarie, how are you getting on? I've really enjoyed reading your chronicles!

(Pleasure!)

A few questions for you if you have the time! (Or anyone else who could offer advice)

When you mention your medical, do you mean medicare? And what did they require from your GP?

(I had to send a form to my GP that she had to sign, no confirm that I don't have back problems ir knee problems etc. Also to say that I am healthy and fit to work with children)

Also, is the day care from 8am-6pm? That's about how much it cots here in the UK for under 3's.

(Most daycares are open from 6:30-18:00)

Do you know if children get any grants for childcare from the government from age 3+ (we get 15 hours in the UK for children aged 3-4 and I'm sure I read somewhere it's the same there?) And do they start school age 5?

(Yes you can qualify for the family tax benifit or childcare rebate, but it depends on your situation. Have a look at centrelink's website. They start school at 4).

Sorry to bombard you with questions! We are still undecided about moving to Perth or Brisbane. I think it all depends on where I can get work as a secondary school teacher. I wish someone could tell me where it's more likely to find work! I wish I had a job lined up like you did. I will even be happy with relief work to get me started. We're planning on coming at the end of April this year (that's when the second term starts right?)

(It is difficult but just keep on applying for jobs. You only nees 1 school at is willing to give you a chance. 2nd term starts 28 April)

If we choose Perth, then hope to see you there! Good luck with everything, hope all goes well for you.

(Thank you and you too!)

Eliza

We are in! Friday we arrived at the house and the painter wasn't here (he was suppose to finish on Thursday but didn't!). We thought he would come and finish Friday but didn't, so all his things are still here and it is unpleasant. Hopefully he'll pitch tomorrow to finish.

Most of our things were scheduled to be delivered on Friday, but the refrigderator, tv, dvd player and tumble dryer was delayed for various reasons. So we have had a tough weekend without a fridge. We packed out our suitcases and slowly but surely everything is finding its place.

Our car also started giving problems on Friday. It is an automatic and whenever it has to change gears, it chokes and doesn't want to change. Frustrating, taking it in for a service this week and seriously considering trading it in for another car.

My husband has his interview at the WA police this week. Tomorrow an evaluation and physical test. Tuesday he has his psychological test, not sure about Wednesday and then Thursday he has his panel interview.

Good news! After sending all the docs through to Goodstart, I finally received an offer from them. They are offering me more than Buggles, which I am very happy about. Another bonus is that the school is 850m from our house! I am reviewing and then hopefully signing the contract tomorrow.

• Like 6

Good on you for getting the job done and dusted! Hope all goes well with the car, its a bummer if you buy a car and it starts with issues. Im always afraid of that.

• Like 1

Sorry about the car, but how awesome about the job, that really is fantastic!!! Well done! :)

• Like 1

:congratulations:

That is really awesome! Congrats on that job. Bummer about the car and the painter, but I am sure it will all work out just fine by the end of this week.

• Like 1