We have arrived: The Whelan Cronicles

rikamarie

Wow Rika Marie I cant believe you are there. Time flies.... and as I read your post I just lived myself into each emotion and all the things happening because its nearly our time! Good luck with everthing, I'm looking forward to an update. You made the right choice for Zoey!

O by the way, you mentioned somewhere in your previous journal that you had trouble sleeping.... its 02:05 in the morning in SA and I am wide awake,my brain just wont switch off. So dont feel alone, a lot of people going through exactly the same emotions on our journey to Australia....

• Like 4

Good luck! You've made the biggest step of all, now it will all settle one little step at a time.

• Like 1

Welcome to Australia Rika-Marie. Enjoy the journey and the different feelings that go with it.

• Like 2

Gosh, and so you are finally here. Good luck with everything :)

• Like 2

Welcome to Perth :ilikeit::ilikeit:

I think there's a DoT office in Joondalup as well, may as well get your licences converted if you have time!

• Like 2

Welcome Rikamarie. Have fun, enjoy and spread your wings!!!

• Like 1

Hi Brad76,

What do you mean by get your licences converted? WA would need them to apply in 90 days or so, unless they are on a 457, which it doesn't seem to be. On a 457 you can drive indefinitely on your foreign licence. But you have ninety days from getting PR to get your WA drivers licence, in QLD you can just convert it.

Or are there new regulations for WA. If so, woohoo!!!

@ rikamarie....Man you are going to enjoy it here, just listen, what are you NOT hearing? Yip, gunfire, hooters, incessant noise. Sigh, I love this country. Bye bye SA....Constant propaganda about all the things "your people" don't give, or do right every day. Have fun!!!!

Debbieschutte,

It's your turn next.....woohoo. Come to the lucky country. It's awesome here.

Edited by SurferMan
  • Like 1

Welcome Rikamarie. Prepare for a few nights of not sleeping through!

We are on our way to Perth now (from Busselton 2.5h south). We are taking our boys to Caversham wildlife park and tomorrow we pick up our puppy.

Welcome to the great life! ?

• Like 1

Today was a fun day! We took the bus from Butler to Clarkson station. (We didn't know how to swipe our Smartrider cards.. Had to ask and felt dumb :blush: ) Took the train from Clarkson to Joondalup. Had a nice long walk in Lakeside Joondalup mall. Bought a few things (didn't know if it was cheap or not!).

Activated our Commonwealth bank account and registered for medicare. Still have to do centrelink, tax number, licences and working with children check card. The medicare and centrelink offices were very very busy! Waiting time was about 1 hour for each service. We also activated our prepaid numbers. We then had to get back home... We didn't check what is the bus stop number that we had to get off in Butler... <_< So we got off to early and got a little lost, but after walking for about 30min, we eventually got home.

Luckely our friends have wi-fi that we can use. We are slowly learning how everything works here.

Things that we noticed:

1. Everything is very very clean!

2. Everyone is proud of the job they do (even the cleaners at the public toilets).

3. The public toilets are so weird! The music is a classic :P

4. Public transport is amazing!

5. The crows are loud!!

6. It is so warm during the day and so cold during the night.

7. Everyone drives the way they should, no speeding whatsoever.

8. No proof of address needed at the bank.. What?!

9. No advertisement boards on the highway.

10. The tattoo culture that we've heard about. From young to old, everyone has tattoos.

Tomorrow we are going to Tapping to see where is my interview on Monday. And will probably explore the parks.

• Like 2

Today we took it easy. Spent some quality time with our friends, unpacked and sorted the last of our luggage. At 15:00 we drove to Tapping from Butler with our friends' car (first time driving in Oz and first time driving automatic). Went to a viewing of a possible rental which was aweful. The place was so small and not at all what we are looking for but atleast now we have an idea and we have something to compare others to.

We also went to see where is my interview on Monday at Goodstart in Tapping. We went to a small shopping centre because our little one had to use the toilet and we immediately noticed that there are no carguards.

We went to IGA to shop for a few products. Some products are so cheap compared and some are insanely expensive compared. Obviously one shouldn't compare but in the beginning it is quite impossible.

Tomorrow it is our friends' baby's first birthday party. We helped the with the decorating of the cupcakes and etc. It was fun. Looking forward to meeting other people tomorrow and having a chat with them.

After the party, we will make our way to Alkimos to a fellow forum member's house for a viewing of a car to buy possibly. Then I have to prepare for my interview. So it is a busy day that is ahead of us tomorrow.

Enjoy the lazy days and awesome for you to have mates to help you out. When you buy the car, make sure it is licensed and transferred to your name.

• Like 1

Yay so glad you have landed safe and things are going well!

Best of luck for your interview :)

• Like 1

What a wonderful arrival to have someone waiting for you ! Enjoy every moment, it's ALL part of growth ...

Yesterday we had a great day, meeting up with friends of our friends, mostly South Africans. The children enjoyed the party and the parents enjoyed it too. We experience Australian life at its best. A party at a park which is at the beach. After that we test drove the car we are interested in buying and decided we'll decide the next day after I had my interview.

So today at 10:00 I had my interview, which I'll explain in a moment. Today was my first time driving a automatic car and driving a car in Australia. It was scary. So needless to say I drove slowly but really not much slower than the limit. Next moment I hear hooting and check what's going on. I see the guy behind me hooting at me and throwing his hands up in the air because I am not driving the speed limit. Felt familiar in some way!!

So got to my interview a bit rattled and so glad not to be driving anymore. Went in (didn't know how to open the gate (blush) and the lady came out and show me. Came in and the lady was the centre coordinator. She said she'll be with me in a moment and that she has never really done an early childhood teacher interview before so she is just printing some papers with guidelines. So she took me to the staff room where I sat and waited. She together with one of the room leader sat and chatted with me. The centre coordinator asked the questions from her guide and filled in my answers short hand. Then we had a chat about Zoey and about her children and we spoke about this and that. She then said she does not know the specific information about my position so she'll have to ask the recruitment agent when she sends through my answers for the questions to her. She could not tell me what working hours, what remuneration, when I'll start or anything, which was just really strange to me.

Anyway, so I'm waiting to hear back from the recruitment agent who will hopefully shed some ligt about the position. The centre coordinator said it is now compulsory for every early learning centre to have an early childhood teacher on the premises, so I guess I will be that teacher. Seems like there is a real shortage of EC teachers at the moment. Nothing is definite yet, but seems like the position is mine but I am not counting my chickens before they hatch.

We also decided to buy the car. So we will receive it on Thursday. We are going to the bank tomorrow to sort our the payment. We also bought a booster seat for Zoey which I can't wait to use, because she simply can't sit still when she is not in one.

Edited by rikamarie
  • Like 2

Hi Rika-marie

This is all so interesting. I started laughing when I read about your driving (you know that nervous laugh when you're stressing about something..... :whome: ) because this is exactly how I'm feeling - verrry nervous about driving in Australia. I'm sure next time will be MUCH easier.

Good luck with the job - will be holding thumbs! and congratulations on the car.

• Like 1

I hope you get that job Rika-Marie!

I do some volunteer work at Communities@Work in Canberra. they are responsible for the childhood centres, amongst other things, and I have been told that there is a great need for early childhood teachers

• Like 1

Congratulations! Nice to kick off the New Year with the start of your new life in Perth!

All the best for the future and hope you land that job. Good EC teachers are hard to find.

• Like 1

It does sound a bit odd, maybe she was told about it last minute? Who did the telephone interview?

Hope it all comes together and the recruitment agent has more details! Glad it went well otherwise :)

Congrats on the car! :D

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Still haven't heard back from Goodstart, but I am going to an interview tomorrow at Buggles Childcare centre for the position of Lead teacher at their Beldon centre. So if I get this job, I will first contact Goodstart to enquire about that position and tell them I have another offer on the table and weigh the two up agains each other. Hoping for the best.

Today we had a less than wonderful day. Our first real bad one. We arrived at the licencing office to try and sort out our licences. Could't because we didn't have enough proof of ID. Went to the bank to get some statements which could help with proof of ID, but the post office didn't want to recognise them or our temporary medicare cards, as we tried to apply for our tax reference numbers and my working with children check card. Went to apply for a rental, couldn't because we didn't have enough proof of ID... :thumbdown: So we felt really stuck today..! Will have to wait until next week until our bank cards and medicare cards arrive. Also the lady at the licencing office could have told us that we could apply for the proof of age cards there, but no, she didn't. This would have atleast helped to make us feel better, although this would only arrive next week as well.

From there, we went to Goodstart Joondalup to have a tour. I had put Zoey's name on the waiting list in June already. If I work at Goodstart in Tapping and she is in Goodstart Joondalup, I will get 50% off the fees. But if I go to Buggles, I will have to put her in Buggles because otherwise I will pay the full amount which is A LOT!!!

So if all goes well, she will start school on Monday and we can sort out more of our things without having to worry about her.

Can't wait to get our car on Thursday! This will help greatly.

Fingers crossed Rikamarie! I'm glad you've got another interview lined up as well, nice to have options. :)

Hope everything starts to come through and you can get more things sorted out next week.

• Like 1

So this morning I caught the bus to Clarkson station, from there I caught the train to Perth. So easy and so accessible. Got to Perth. And got lost...! I Was heading for my interview with Buggles early learning. I was 17 minutes late because I had walked in the wrong direction. Met up with the recruitment agent and the interview went really well and they want me on board at Buggles in Beldon. We discussed the benefits and salary etc. and I am going on a tour of the school tomorrow and then I have to give feedback to the recruitment agent if I am interested in the job.

Walked back to the station from there and got a call from Goodstart early learning. They gave me some information but couldn't give me the hourly rate - I wanted to compare it to Buggles. (seems like the job is also mine and that at the current stage they are doing reference checks). Goodstart also requires some certified documents at this stage etc. So I emailed the recruitment agent directly of Goodstart to ask her all the information cause it seems as if no one really knows everything about my position, at both schools. Strange though because I am use to in RSA you are given a package and take it or leave it. Here it works so differently. Will have to get use the this laid back attitude.

From Perth I went to Joondalup to the licencing office to apply for Proof of age card which took literally 5 minutes. hopefully will arrive next week in the postt which will help with identification. After that I went to Woolworths to "shop" a little - I was alone, so I could shop all I wanted to. Went home from there.

Late afternoon we went to the fellow forum members to sign the deed of sale for the car and to pay and pick up the car :ilikeit: YAY!

From there we met our friends at Yanchep beach to eat some homemade hamburgers and the children enjoyed themselves on the beach. The water was so warm and we took some beautiful photos of the sunset. On the way home, our friends picked up a very nice sleeper couch in Yanchep that was on verge. We are going early morning to Yanchep's verge to see what we can find.

At 9:30 we have a house viewing which is a private rental (Private rentals are less stressful, look on Gumtree! No agents!) and the owners sound very happy with everything because we want a long lease, no pets, we have the funds available etc. So hopefully if this is really such a nice place as what we saw on the photos, we can move in next Saturday!

Then at 2pm I have a tour of the Buggles in Beldon, to compare it with Goodstart in Tapping. Hopefully I can them make an informed decision about which centre to choose to work at.

Till tomorrow...

• Like 3

This all sounds awesome !! I so very much like the idea of Private Rental - will definitely remember that one :ilikeit:

It seems like you're having a good start, enjoy it !!

• Like 1

Hi Rikamarie,

Good to hear things are going well for you guys.

Just a few thoughts on private rentals - choose the owner as much as they choose you, because that owner is who you will need to deal with later down the track inlcuding on things like maintenance etc. Going via an agent has it's pains but they are also a professionl third party between you and the owner to ensure all is at least above board. If you get any kind of bad feeling when negotiating directly with an owner for a private rental, I would walk away and keep looking until you find the right one (same actually goes when dealing with an agent). Also keep in mind that private rentals should abide by the general industry regulations and rules - such as signing a rental agreement (the industry standard one for WA is available on the REIWA website) - the owner must also by law lodge the bond into the government held trust account and provide you evidence of having done that.

z

Edited by zetman
  • Like 2