Things you can get in South Africa but not in Australia and vice versa

Skinierkie

Our Spar sells Tim-Tams for R45.00 here in Glen Ashley, Durban North. I never tried it from the Spar but I have when friends came to visit from Aus then they would bring us some from Aus.

These were the things we bought from Woolies. I am assuming that the bar codes would stay the same because they are printed in the factory.

post-16626-0-31821100-1381643374_thumb.jpost-16626-0-77313900-1381643411_thumb.j

Thank you!

• Like 1

They are the most awesome chocolate cookies that are more chocolate than cookie and you can't get them in South Africa. When you arrive, go to the nearest Coles and get yourself a pack (ignoring the exchange rate of course). They will make landing in a strange country a bit more bareable. :ilikeit:

Best way it to bite the end off one end

then the other

suck tea or coffee through the centre. mmm

then the other

Otherwise known as the "Timtam Slam", which by the way fixes most emotional breakdowns. ;)

• Like 2

HEOJ - what did you pay for the Ina Paarman spices per bottle?

HEOJ - what did you pay for the Ina Paarman spices per bottle?

$4.99 Rather expensive when you're thinking in rands but when you're earning dollars it's worth every cent for the extra flavor that the Aussie spices seem to lack.

I am assuming that the bar codes would stay the same because they are printed in the factory.

Just an FYI. Most barcodes will be from the country of origin (usually); RSA starts with 600 or 601, Oz uses 900-919 in the case of GTIN/EAN.

You have pay for barcodes and it is an offence to use a barcode that you are not registered to yourself/company and misrepresentation of products i.e. selling a SABS and non SABS certified product with the same barcode. It is a major schelp to change them on established products as retailers have them encoded into their systems, so chances are they will not change.

Is Robertson's Steak and Chop spice available?

Edited by AlBrough

Is Robertson's Steak and Chop spice available?

The only place I would imagine you could get Robertson's spices would be one on the South African shops. I haven't seen it at at Coles or Woolies yet, but then again after we discovered the Ina Parmans braai spice we stopped using anything else (and I'm talking back in RSA) so I have not had to go looking for it here.

yikes that IS expensive! R 50 versus R 16

I will bring a couple of bottles in my container - against the advice of my agent I will admit, but I thought what the hell, its spices not meat or milk so as long as its clearly labeled I dont see why not

I've posted a link to department of agriculture and forestry on other post that clearly shows you what you are allowed to bring and in what QTY you can bring that product in. Spices is one of the items you can bring in and it is clearly stated.

As long as the spices are still sealed you should fine. Just don't try and bring in bulk, you'll get hit with import duties. ;)

I've posted a link to department of agriculture and forestry on other post that clearly shows you what you are allowed to bring and in what QTY you can bring that product in. Spices is one of the items you can bring in and it is clearly stated.

Can you please repost it on this thread please?

• 5 months later...

I miss Wimpy burgers!

I don't mind the local mayo, it just doesn't have the same tangy flavour as C&B. Also, the tomato sauce I've tried (Masterfoods) tastes a bit sweet and synthetic.

Not sure about the other states but I can buy All Gold tomato sauce and C&B mayo in the woolworths here. Along with just about all the other things people usually miss. Next time I go I'll take a photo of the saffa area and post it :)

Myself and the rest of my family are gonna die without wimpy burgers. Its the number 1 stop at canal walk when we go grocery shopping

For tomato sauce we buy Heinz, regular or organic. C&B mayo has that tangy taste because of a list of ingredients as long as my arm. I now make my own with a cup of canola oil, one egg, a glug of apple cider vinagar, blob of mustard and pinch of salt. Wizzed togther for 10seconds with my stick blender. So, I never have to eat ingredience I cant pronounce again.

• Like 2

Things you can get in South Africa but not in Australia....Highjacked!!!

• Like 3

I am lucky enough to run a South African shop from home...I have stock of Robertsons spices and Ina Paarman...I stock all the favourites....Boerewors, Biltong, Drywors, Koeksisters, CB Mayo, Mrs Balls, Pronutro, Tennis biscuits, flings....etc etc...Creme Soda..

• Like 1

I buy my spices in bulk and make up my own mixes and the flavour is far superior to the shop stuff, so i agree the Aussie ones can be bland. I have nailed it down to a couple of really reliable spices -

Himalayan Pink Salt - no other contender is close

Black peppercorns - whole

Cumin - whole

Coriander - whole

Cinnamon bark - whole

Allspice - whole

Carraway seeds - whole

Mustard seeds, black and yellow - whole

Five spice - whole

Dried onion flakes

Paprika - smoked

Chillies - various, I eat them whole as a snack, yes freaky I know.

Ginger - I grow my own

Sage - grow it

Thyme - grow it

Rosemary - grow it

I have a massive stone mortar and pestle, weighs about 15kg. With these a few others I can replicate any flavour, and best of all I KNOW whats in it, not like E220, etc. Most of them are officially poisons, but can be used due to low dosage. And NOTHING beats freshly ground spices lightly roasted in a pan then added to food.

Edited by SurferMan
  • Like 5

then the other

Hot Chocolate or Milo works the best.

• Like 1

LOL was also going to say Tim Tams have been available in our Spar for ages, just very pricey.

We paid $2 for the large pack (not snack packs) of Tim Tams while there, on special at Coles or Woolworths, I can't remember. My cousin also got us a snack pack of the choc brownie flavor... nomnomnom!!! :)

Hot Chocolate or Milo works the best.

My daughter's boyfriend is a full-on Aussie (ute with dog on the back, lol) and he has never heard of the Timtam slam. He say's it's rubbish ;-)

Sorry to break it to you, guys!

I first saw the TT slam demonstrated on UK tv, about 10 years ago, by none other than Kylie Minogue. Which makes it fact ;)

• Like 2

We are terrible, we wait for the prices of the Tim Tam's to come right down and then we stock up. Have managed to buy them for as cheap as $1.00 :ilikeit: and those are the large packs too.

• Like 1

My daughter's boyfriend is a full-on Aussie (ute with dog on the back, lol) and he has never heard of the Timtam slam. He say's it's rubbish ;-)

Sorry to break it to you, guys!

That's coz bogans don't slam Tim-Tams, they smash cans. :P

• Like 1

Otherwise known as the Tin Can Slam which involves several tins of bear, a forehead and lots of panadol. :P