Things you can get in South Africa but not in Australia and vice versa

Skinierkie

Hey

Can you think of anything that you can find in South Africa that you cannot find in Australia or that you have to really search for.

Also is there anything in Australia that you have become very fond of that you cannot get in South Africa.

Thanks would be very interesting to see what people miss or have found that they would miss if they were back in South Africa.

Edited by Skinierkie

Brown onion soup, there isn't a big variety of soups in Aus and I miss the mayonnaise in SA. Apart from that I am happy with everything in Aus.

• Like 1

What types of soups do you get there except for the general things like chicken, beef and vegetable.

I have also heard about the mayo problem and by that, we are probably talking about Crosse & Blackwell. have you been able to find a substitute or have you sworn off mayo if you can't get Crosse & Blackwell.

Apart from Biltong, there isn't really much that I worry about not being able to find. And I just make my own, or buy it from the SA shop.

There isn't a substitute for C&B mayo, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the Mayo here, it's just different. If anything I would say C&B is unusual, not the other way round. Mayo I've come across in the UK and Aus tends to be more salty, less tangy.

I guess I've been out of SA for a total of 13 years now, at first, I used to miss things, but now, I don't think about it.

If I left Aus and went back to SA, I would miss:

The incredible selection of local beers and ales.

Erm... I think that's it.

How about white mielies and gem squash? If anyone knows where I can get white maize seed in QLD (or anywhere in Australia) please let me know?

• Like 2

Coles started selling Gem Squash recently (I started a thread about it a while back) but I haven't checked if they still do.

What's the difference between white Millies and the corn they have here? I must admit I hardly ever ate mielies in SA, but now we do fairly often. On the braai. Nom nom nom.

Coles and Woolies have now started stocking brown onion soup, Inna Parmans Braai spice, biltong and other South African goodies. If your local stores don't have then all it takes is an email to the manager and they'll get it.

TIM TAMS - They fix any emotional problems and the tim tam slam is out of this world.

• Like 4

I miss Wimpy burgers!

I don't mind the local mayo, it just doesn't have the same tangy flavour as C&B. Also, the tomato sauce I've tried (Masterfoods) tastes a bit sweet and synthetic.

Not sure about the other states but I can buy All Gold tomato sauce and C&B mayo in the woolworths here. Along with just about all the other things people usually miss. Next time I go I'll take a photo of the saffa area and post it :)

Also, the tomato sauce I've tried (Masterfoods) tastes a bit sweet and synthetic.

)

Heinz is quite good, close to All Gold but maybe a little sweeter. Know what you mean about Masterfoods - it tastes cheap.

@ Hansa, same here about never eating mielies in RSA and now eating it at least once a week. For the kids I take one of the mielies (without the leaves) and put it straight on a plate (uncovered) and in the microwave for 3mins. I then put a dab of butter on and slice it in 4 (quarter) wheels. Let it cool down well. My kids LOVE this. Good for toddler self feeding.

As for good old C&B mayo. It tastes so good, because........there is a long list of stuff in it: Non-hydrogenated Vegetable Fat, Anti oxidant E319, Water, Sugar, Vinegar, Egg, Acidity Regulator E270 E330, Salt, Thickeners E412 E410, Flavourings, Preservatives E202, Sodium Benzoate E211, Colourants E104 E110. Wonder what the "flavourings" are that they dont list? I achieve virtually the same taste with: 1 egg, 1 cup of canola oil, a glug of apple cider vinegar, pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of mustard. Whizzz it for 10 seconds with your hand held blender. Voila!

• Like 3

Maltabella - until 2 weeks ago I had not been able to find any for about 4-6 months, even in our local RSA shop.

Macro organics wholefoods crunchy peanut butter provided a substitute for Black Cat as we like the salt and sugar free variety - but maybe I was just too long without the real thing.

Our local RSA shop has a butcher - great boerewors, biltong and either the RSA shop or local Coles stocks the other things I missed

Thanks HEOJ

My coles is very naughty and has none of those items, it took me almost 5 years to get them to stock my Fry's vegetarian foods ( there is one thing that is just not as good in Australia, no one can beat Fry's.....................someone please bring me a packet of vegetarian polony :( )

When we migrated to South Africa, we found the food too sweet and held onto our British delicacies, sandwich spread and piccalilli for example.

Heinz salad cream or the real egg mayonnaise is pretty good, I always liked creamy, rather than tangy mayo, so the Dutch one .....Thomy Delikatess, is my favourite. I don't eat tomato sauce, but heinz would be my choice and they now have a mexican chilli and spicy chilli one.

I like the Beerenberg sauces here and the Tasmanian salad dressings......our cheeses are gorgeous...............my tastes have changed and many of the spur sauces I used to love don't taste right, they taste metallic and vinegary now.

I will never give up my HP sauce ( nippy sauce a we called it in Scotland)

\

One thing they don't have here and my hubby adores is the Knorr garlic steak marinade ( the one that is powder in the packet and you mix it with 180ml water and put the steak in) throw lots into your suitcase if you like it.

Some of the IGA's also stock things like Ina Paarman etc and one in Mackay also sells biltong and droewors at the deli.....the more people ask for things, the more they will become part of the cosmopolitan food culture here. The Nandos sauces seem to do well at Coles.

• Like 1

You guys do know that Crosse and Blackwell was originally established in the UK in 1706? See some of their products....yum http://www.crosseandblackwell.com/products

http://www.crosseandblackwell.co.uk/our-pantry/

Now I'm getting hungry.....a cheese and Branston pickle sandwich coming up.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@ Hansaplease had to :lol: at the beers and ales I don't drink beer myself but its something for my father in law to look forward to when they come visit us.

@ HEOJJ- what is tim tams?

@ AndreaL- My husband also likes those knorr sauces so that will be a bit of a disappointment food wise, but I am sure the cheeses and other yummy foods will soon start to make up for it.

Looks like if you really want something you will be able to find it.

@HEOJJ- what is tim tams?

They are the most awesome chocolate cookies that are more chocolate than cookie and you can't get them in South Africa. When you arrive, go to the nearest Coles and get yourself a pack (ignoring the exchange rate of course). They will make landing in a strange country a bit more bareable. :ilikeit:

• Like 3

They sounds amazing chocolate always makes any situation better- will definitely get some when we get there and ignore the exchange rate :D

When I first had a timtam (was at one of those open days they have when they give talks on moving to Australia) I though it was gorgeous. So I googled to see if I could find it in RSA. And found this! (See attached pic) :stretcher: Was horrified.

Until it came to light it was a Spoof...

post-17558-0-80006600-1381483310_thumb.j

• Like 2

@ HEOJJ- what is tim tams?

@ AndreaL- My husband also likes those knorr sauces so that will be a bit of a disappointment food wise, but I am sure the cheeses and other yummy foods will soon start to make up for it.

Oh my....you are so going to love Australia...........Tim Tams

Those little packets are only about 30 grammes, you can pack loads either in your container if you bring one, or your suitcase, it is really only the marinades as there are plenty of cook in sauces ( Nandos) and other options here, you'll see

Coles and Woolies have now started stocking brown onion soup, Inna Parmans Braai spice, biltong and other South African goodies. If your local stores don't have then all it takes is an email to the manager and they'll get it.

HEOJ

Can you give me a list of the RSA products that your Coles stocks? I spoke to our Manager and I either have to get the names of the products or the barcodes for them to order.

BTW, I don't use brown onion soup, but I see Continental does French onion soup and it looks brown......would that not do?

It is the oxtail soup for when I make oxtail and the white onion soup ( for cob bread) that is what I mostly look for.

I discovered a little thing called beetroot relish today from the Always Fresh range....I'll let you know if it is nice.

For those of you in RSA, if you like Thai and Asian food you will be really spoiled here for choice.

TimTams are nearly always on special.......it is a conspiracy, and now they have little snack packs that you can carry in your handbag.......luckily I am a savoury girl and have not succumbed.

I do believe we will love it. :offtopic: my husband has always wanted to move there before we started dating he asked my views on leaving SA I said I am open to the idea. He later told me that if I said I was not open to the idea we would never have started dating in the first place. ^_^

We will have to go to Coles tomorrow and see if we can take photos of the stuff or try and get pics of the bar codes.

They are the most awesome chocolate cookies that are more chocolate than cookie and you can't get them in South Africa. When you arrive, go to the nearest Coles and get yourself a pack (ignoring the exchange rate of course). They will make landing in a strange country a bit more bareable. :ilikeit:

I see our PnP stocks Tim Tams - not as many flavours, I think about 3 or 4, for around R 40 (I think)

Wow what a rip off. You can get them at Coles when they are on special for 99 cents. Even with the ludicrous exchange rate they are still cheaper here in rands.

We will have to go to Coles tomorrow and see if we can take photos of the stuff or try and get pics of the bar codes.

Ha! Don't get caught, they will think you are taking pics of their prices for a competitor (Woolworths)

Just a rough idea of what they have, perhaps a photo of the shelf as I imagine it would just be a small section and I can probably identify most of the stuff.