CANBERRA WORK SITUATION?

Glenno

Hi All,

We are aiming to move to Canberra in January 2014 and I was just wondering how easy or not it is to find work?

My wife is a beauty therapist and my background is Sales and Client Service. I will be quite happy to take on work from any decent company and am not to phased about finding any specific job.

But I would just like to find out what your experience has been in finding a job on arriving in Canberra? (i.e how long did it take?, did you have to go for loads of interviews etc?)

thanks a mill.

All I know about Canberra is that its very government focussed and tends to lean employment for the better jobs to citizens. Maybe other can give a view of how they employee there.

My line of work is within Multinational Medical and Pharamceutical companies, they are going through a tough time globally, but they cant be government specific positions, A few jobs pop up a month, Plus I think I am upto date as to how tough thing are in this arena, I have been through numerous restructuring processes here and survived them all, .i am ready for the fight

• Like 1

Oh and get into the boat before you start bailing water, there might not be a hole after all, lets get there with our chins up and be ready to face Anything if need be.......swim with lead boots if we have to, I am not turning back, i'll mow lawns with my teeth if i have to, I've had my fair share of construction site work as a labourer in London in Mid winter, bring me the alternate work that nobody wants to do, if it means buying time and clearing your head for the right opportunity then i want it.......no room for failure here, my family relies on me making or breaking this, RSA is no place to go back to because I dont feel like getting my hands dirty.........lets all harden the xxxx up a bit

• Like 9

Good post, will follow it as we also looking at Canberra around Jan 2014 but different industries...

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. I agree with Mikeleigh that we will also do whatever it takes to bring in the dollars, the change in Lifestyle is worth it.

• Like 1

Personally I think your wife will land work quickly, she can either contact salons, or get an ABN and run a mobile beautician service, it might cost to start up, but is a popular service. In my town you have to book quickly to get nails, hair, massages etc.

Maybe you can try car dealerships etc if that is your line of work.

Good luck

Hi

A few things to bear in mind. Approx. 2/3 of jobs are government. The majority being Federal Government which is only available to Australian Citizens. If you have Permanent Residence you can apply for ACT Gov. jobs. Go look on the ACT Government website and pay careful attention to the art of responding to the selection criteria!!! At the moment hiring seems to be slowing in all Gov jobs due to upcoming elections on 14 September. At this point looks like Labour Gov will be out and Liberal Gov will come in with high probability of job shedding in the gov. service. this means more people entering job market in the ACT.

immigrants have been complaining about struggling to find jobs in the ACT. Friends of ours have been looking for 18 months with no luck. One of us has found and the other struggling after about 18 months as well. Most people here have had to settle for positions 2 - 3 levels below what they were at back in SA. Also, you will find more manual jobs can be found and some SA's are doing well being delivery people (local couriers) for example.

The thing about Canberra is that it has a fairly high level of skilled and qualified people and remember you are also competing on the international arena as immegrants are arriving from the UK, China, India, US, New Zealand and other parts of Australia. Also remember that house rent prices are higher than most other places.

Also to put it perpective - Canberra is about the size of Pietermaritzburg except without heavy industry,

I am not trying to put you off just give you a reality check. Once here and settled you will enjoy Canberra there is always something going on, snow fields are close with lots of proper ski lifts, beach is not too far either, even wine farms!

I think your wife might find first, you could probably apply to be something like a property manager with LJ Hooker or one of others.

Good luck

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. I'm Glenno's OH, so it's great to hear that there may be opportunities for me over there.

AndreaL, what is a ABN? I have my own business over here and was planning on selling everything. But would it be worth bringing some of the smaller stuff to be able to do some treatments?

Thanks very much for the feedback guys, it's always good to hear some first hand experience. I guess if we had to try and find a job here in SA without knowing anybody it would also be a hard one. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the move, even if it means flipping burgers for a while :)

Thanks for the info. We are looking to move to Canberra next year as well, and I'm in two minds as to whether to look for a job or buy into a business.

• Like 1

Hi

A quick pointer use or lose it as they say. Look up Jim's Franchise opportunities. Also, look at CIT (Canberra Insitute of Technology) website they offer tons of courses from trades to beauty to forensic science to heavy equipment, etc. Good idea to get an Aussie qualification before you come if you are thinking that way.

good luck

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Here is a link to ACT government jobs. Lots of teaching jobs too. I have opened one or two and it seems that PR is fine, citizenship with most of these not a requirement

http://www.jobs.act.gov.au/find-a-job/all-vacancies