Killerjoe

Hi All

Im new to this forum but its great to find a forum finally dedicated to South Africans going to Oz and visa versa. Thanks for all the infomation thus far.

My wife had a job in Geraldton Regional Hospital as a Registered Nurse and we were supposed to go through to Western Australia by Feb 2013 but the job had to be Authorised by Head office in Perth were it fell through. The Health budget was cut and the jobs put on hold. We would have been on a 457 visa had that worked.

We thought at that time to quit our endeavous due to the fustration we had been through for the past 3 years. She has paid registration to the Australian Nursing coucil 3 times already and has not even worked there yet...imagine. We decided to try one last time by applying for a 189 visa, and because we had all the documents and stuff needed already prepared it was not that difficult.The fustraion of not doing anything in SA like taking out contracts etc is what really made us want to quit, We were in Limbo not knowing if we here or there.

We submitted a skill select EOI and recieved an invitation to apply for 189 visa. We then got assigned a case officer (CO) and she asked for some documents, we now are only waiting for our medicals to be checked and Police clerance must be sent. We think we stand a good chance of getting this visa.

We are now looking for jobs in Australia but have not yet applied as we are waiting on the outcome of Visa. If we recieve the visa we will have to enter the country to validate the visa within a year and will then be granted a 5 years period to make the permanant move. The whole cost thus far has been about R80000.00 and we hope it was all not for nothing.

I hope that anyone that reads this will see the road is difficult. It is possible but dont be fooled by thinking it will be easy like the impression I had. I will keep all posted if it works..

God willing we will be in Oz soon.

• Like 1

All the best on your application KJ!

I too am an allied medical person (not a nurse) and have gone the 189 route and am waiting for the visa. and waiting and waiting!! grr

As for jobs, I have noticed a lot of support for overseas nurses, including relocation assistance in the bigger/private companies. It may be an idea to start getting her name out there by applying for jobs and indicating that the visa is applied for (so they dont need to worry about sponsoring her) and you are waiting for the outcome. If it all works out you may be ready to start employment in (lets say Oct/Nov or whenever you think you could reasonably make it.)

Thats what I have done (but no guarantee on jobs until visa is obtained, obviously). At least they would have a realistic idea of when you would be there, so they can plan. Also, job applications seem to expire after a year, so there is time for them to re-look at the application at a later stage.

I have also found that applying for jobs has given me practice in writing those dreaded selection criteria responses....

All the best, look forward to all of us having our visas soon!

Thanks Mrand MrsK

I will take your advise and apply for the jobs stating pending Visa approval. I wish you and your wife all the best and hopefully we will all be in Oz soon.

KJ

• Like 1

Hey Killerjoe, welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting this far. It really is a long road to freedom and one that is well worth travelling. Good luck for the rest of the process and I hope things go smoothly for you guys from here on out. :ilikeit:

@HadenoughofJuju

Thanks for the words of encouragement. If something falls through now Im afraid I will be staying in SA and make it work here. We had to put in application to renew registeration for the Australian Nursing Council and they asked many questions. We are now waiting on the outcome if that falls through our adventure is pretty much over without even leaving SA. But seriously this may sound negative but to live with this rollercoaster of emotion is terrible. I have spent about R80000 thus far. I have to spend a further R80000 to visit the country so I can validate my visa if I get it. Then when I do get a permanant job we can move and offcouse I will need satartup money maybe about R130000. The exchange rate also making it difficult.

I dont have anything left to continue this dream. Currently taking off at work , pulling out money at every step of the way is really wearing me down. I dont know how some people have been so strong for so long. Wish I had the same determination for something I dont even know If I will like? I started my Journey in 2010.

Everyone is so positive on these posts which is great but let me be the one that tells you about the emotional trails for this journey. Its not easy at all dont be fooled like I was. Im Happy I have taken the chance but I wish I was not so naive to think it was an easy thing to achieve and would of better prepared myself mentally and physically for this journey.

Maybe I was just too optimistic in the start and did not really understand the magnitude of such a big move. I hope for all you out there planning on also taking this journey that I have made you realise that this is a tough time so be prepared. I Hope it will be worth it in the end.

• Like 1

@Killerjoe

I fully understand where you are coming from and it is good for people to get a balanced view of this process. It definitely is not an easy one and it is not one for the feint hearted. It builds lots of character and shows what people are really made of. The fact that you have lasted this long through all the trials reflects your character and strength.

I am the first person to admit that this is an emotionally draining process even if the road is smooth. I think sometimes that the people that have a tough time getting in are the ones that handle the stress on this side better.

Things will work out for you and your family the way they are meant to work out whichever way that goes and it's good that you have a plan if things don't work out for Australia. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts. :hug:

Thank you HadEnoughofJuju I really appreciate your words. I dont think I really understood how much this all affected me and I guess my "rant" was just out of fustration. Thank you for listening and understanding. I will keep on trying, I know its posible and I know that we can overcome the difficulties to give our kids a better future. No trail struggle or test must keep us from trying to give our kids a future.

God willing we will be there. God bless you and Im sure hope I meet people like you when I get there.

• Like 1