Second thoughts

LadySnoo

Question

My husband and I made the decision to immigrate a few months ago but have not yet made the first steps. We are starting to have second thoughts about the sacrifice that this is going. We are well off now in our positions as my husband is in a family business we have an aspect of flexibility that we probably won't have if we leave. I would also have the option of giving up my job when we have kids if we stay in SA and I once again don't think this will be possible in Aus.

When we decided it just seemed so clear now I'm feeling like we might regret it. Unlike other people that leave we don't hate South Africa we love it here we just uncertain about the future and I feel like this lack of hate or genuine fear ( touch wood we have never been involved in violent crime directly) will draw us back to SA.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in this post maybe I'm looking to see if this is a normal part of the process or are we really not yet in the right place to leave.

• Like 4

Thanks OBD I'm going to give it a bash. Not at the schools though - what would a childless middle aged woman be volunteering there for :-) we have a hospital and meals on wheels closeby. It's a start!

• Like 3

Thanks OBD I'm going to give it a bash. Not at the schools though - what would a childless middle aged woman be volunteering there for :-) we have a hospital and meals on wheels closeby. It's a start!

No problem - just said what my Mrs did, and a pointer to some people who would appreciate it.

Enjoy.

• Like 3

I've been volunteering locally for the past 4 years, to the extent that I am now the President of the management committee of our local support and referral organisation, that and part time study keep me truly busy.

I would love to get a part time paying job, but can't imagine ever being disconnected as a volunteer.

If you have particular skills try and align the volunteer job you go for to them as that can lead to a job.

Here are some links that might interest you http://www.volunteeringqld.org.au/dotnet/Volunteer/Results.aspx?loc=&subcat=410&type=All&keywords=

Seek volunteer

Google search- Volunteer Brisbane

• Like 2

If i might add my veiw,

I have 2 profitable businesses,a couple of houses i rent out and paid off bonds.I have a lot going for myself,a managers running both,good workers and so on.I would say in general i have a stress free business life,paying all my bills without worries.

This all means didley sqaut if you have to worry about your families safty.Being unsure of the future of your children is the worst part.Every child deserves the best headstart the parents can offer in life.We teach and quide our children not to make the same mistakes like we did.This is the only reason why humans keep evolving,trying new things and doing things different the whole time. I have been off the forum for quite some time now,and believe me i had my second thoughts as well.(i am sure this is natural)

Ones mindset changes drasticly once you have children.I am sure this is the main reason why people would take the leap of faith to Australia or other countries.As for surity,being in business and gathering "stuff" in RSA,what will it all be worth in a couple of years?I am not saying that the plug will get pulled,its just my opinion that it will get pulled and everything will go down the drain.With outr judical system the way it is,and polititions going on the way they do,its actually impressing to my that Rsa is still floating.5 mil people can not keep the other 40 mil happy for that much longer.The minority group is getting opressed by the mayority,wereas the minority is footing the bill??????Is this making sence to you any way?

I suggest you apply and keep on doing so till you have everything in place.If one day you feel you must get out in a hurry,12 - 16 months can seem very long,maybe too long.

I wish you all the best with your decition.

• Like 2

jm01 - I think the taxpayers from the majority group would be offended by your gross generalisation... This is not an ‘us’ and ‘them’ situation - people are equally affected by the state of things in South Africa. This ‘us’ and ‘them’ mentality is what got us in trouble in the first place - divide and conquer…

• Like 5

Nope. The 'majority' are against the 'minority' im every way. You are clinging to a dream that doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Nope. The 'majority' are against the 'minority' im every way. You are clinging to a dream that doesn't exist.

It only doesn't exist because each side keeps blaming the other side for the dream not existing. And so it continues in one big blame-throwing circle.

• Like 1

I don't know what the tax base of RSA is, and am not prepared to invest the time to find out but

VAT is a tax by the entire population

Company tax is a tax often forgotten, never attached to a specific portion of the population

there are many duties, eg fuel that are paid by the entire population base.

jm01 - I think the taxpayers from the majority group would be offended by your gross generalisation... This is not an ‘us’ and ‘them’ situation - people are equally affected by the state of things in South Africa. This ‘us’ and ‘them’ mentality is what got us in trouble in the first place - divide and conquer…

Sorry to ask,but are you real or living on a different planet?Us meaning people that want to do their part in the economy and refering to the people that want to leave Rsa,or planning to do so.Were in my post did i refere to them and us???

I don't know what the tax base of RSA is, and am not prepared to invest the time to find out but

VAT is a tax by the entire population

Company tax is a tax often forgotten, never attached to a specific portion of the population

there are many duties, eg fuel that are paid by the entire population base.

I was refereing to tax generated by working,like income tax vat and some others.