Some 'Frivolous' reasons to move to Australia.

TonyV

Maccas Coffee or Chocolate Frappes, Mango Smoothy & Frozen Passionfruit - Yum!!

They also do great coffees. Also the fact that the different types of coffee cost the same, ie a flat white / cappuchino / long black / latte.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Tams

Who does not love tim tams!!! They totally make the world a better place. In fact, if tim tams were the only reason to move, I'd still do it. Just for them! <3

Yep, I did know - I suddenly had this familiar accent in my ear and thought , "Hello, what's all this then?" - the lot I spoke to were in Melbourne.

And I thought their call centres were NZ, Perth and CT

It moves across from SA to AUS to NZ depending on the time of the day. I usually ring at night and get a south african woman (usually) and I always enjoy a natter with them. Most of them are lovely even when they're guessing the answers to my questions. :)

Edited by Fish

Loved reading through everyones replies!

Was thinking how great this "opinion poll" would be to show our Aussie friends who sometime moan about their life. I think it will be an eye opener for them as to how they take their lives for granted. As well as to how grateful we really are for living in their country.

Frivolous question: Do you get all the Tim Tam flavours in South Africa that you get here? Going on holiday and would love to take some "new" flavours back.

Maybe those still familiar with Pick and Pay can give us a list of the flavours you buy?

Thanks, B

• Like 1

It's funny how we can consider different things appealing. I will never understand the attraction to potato cakes. Deep fried, oily, soggy, tasteless. My wife loves them. Guess it's about what you grow up with.

Then again, I can see why Aussies are horrified when I tell them that I hang raw steak in a cupboard until it goes black and then eat it. :)

• Like 1

We certainly do have different tastes. I'm with your wife Hansa, love potato cakes - anything with potato actually. Just love a spud.

Tim Tams I dont eat - my fav biscuits are Arnotts Venetian. Dont remember anything similar in SA ?

My frivolous reason is that I can now afford 3-ply toilet paper! lol! :D

No more recycled stuff that could double as your newspaper!

• Like 2

Haha, I wanted to mention the 3 ply toilet paper but thought you all would find me weird. :) I also find that I can afford things I just did without in RSA and seem to have more little luxuries than I did before.

Has anyone mentioned drive through bottle stores? Now there is a frivolous reason to move.....

• Like 1

Just thought of another frivolous reason to move: free shopping bags (unless you shop at some weird or exclusive place or want the biodegradable bags from Target). Now that is sure to make a huge savings in your shopping budget :P

• Like 1

Just thought of another frivolous reason to move: free shopping bags (unless you shop at some weird or exclusive place or want the biodegradable bags from Target). Now that is sure to make a huge savings in your shopping budget :P

Obviously don't live in ACT.

Well the bags here in SA seem to be the quality that they were before the government put their levy on them... possibly even thinner!

Just thought - you can buy from Amazon, and it actually arrives before you've forgotten about it.

• Like 1

It actually arrives! That in itself is a bonus. I love Internet shopping - I can spend and forget and then I get a pressie and if I don't like it I can say no thanks and get my money back. Never did it in Jo'burg - too hard generally.

• Like 1

I also love Internet shopping, eBay, target online ( check out the bargains and clearance items), Harris Scarfe, Fishpond, Booko, Abe books, Xbox and play station for the kids, wine, computers....you name it I have bought it online, even some dodgy crystals from Hong Kong and other ethnic jewellery from around the world and most of it arrives in less than a week even though I live in a regional area, except once from Fishpond that took weeks. And all of this via my PayPal account.

• Like 1

How about this...not frivolous but still good.

My hubby is an underground electrician and recently there had been an opportunity to do some training, namely a Cert IV in Instrumentation, which is basically a diploma and one up from a trade qualification and one down from a degree according to the AQF.

Anyway, we got the paperwork last night and he will be doing an apprenticeship over the next 5 years and will fall under the Mechanical Engineering Associate Professionals.

All good and well, but, get this, his employer is paying for this and along with the ability to claim back on education expenses like travel and registration etc from the ATO he also qualifies for a tools allowance, which is essentially $5000 tax free, split into annual payments and paid out in full at the end of the apprenticeship.

How good is this country?

Hubby couldn't contain himself and said, " Man, I love this country, they actually pay you to study" :)

• Like 4

Toast with vegemite and Philadelphia cheese ........

Toast with vegemite and Philadelphia cheese ........

I really don't like the taste of vegemite and I've tried, I'm a bovril girl now that it is vegetarian.

Now, toasted Philly and smoked salmon on sour dough.......yum yum....and gee isn't the cheese here good?

I'd move just for the cheese.

• Like 1

Andrea, the reason the employers are happy to pay for any training that their staff do, is because in many instances they get a kick back from the government. We just had our sales staff do a course over the past year, and we got $2500 back for each of them, which was $1000 more than what we paid for the course (if I remember correctly). The employer wins because he now has a more knowleagable employee and the employee wins because he now has better qualifications. Bonus, all the way.

I know Mara, but I didn't want to spoil the moment with my cynicism....lol.....As I said to hubby last night, it's nearly tax time so they have to spend their training budget.

We also use government initiatives at the place I volunteer to upskilling our workers in subjects like business management etc, we usually pay for the course and then it is refunded us.

Looking closer into the study that my hubby is undertaking, it seems everyone wins somewhere along the line as I believe the RTO overseeing the course is also paid handsomely by government.

Everyone gets skilled and all the training service providers are kept in work.....win, win.

Not so frivolous. People actually care about their neighbours and have compassion.

Everyone gets skilled and all the training service providers are kept in work.....win, win.

Over here the belief is "keep them ignorant and make them pay...to our (government officials') benefit." :angry: Edited by OnYellowBrickRd
  • Like 1

We are putting two youngsters thru apprenticeships in aircon and refrigeration. We took them on as ASBA's - Australian School Based Apprenticeships - Both are now finished school and in their third year. Oour business gets incentives from the government, the appi's get tool allowances and everyones happy.

Its a bit of give and take as they have to attend CIT one day a week, and we pay them their normal wage whilst they study. But at the end of the day its a win win situation for us, for the appi's, the service providers and Australia.