Some 'Frivolous' reasons to move to Australia.

TonyV

Our IGA has Mrs Balls, also the South African shop.

Bake your own rusks!! Ek bak lekker karringmelkbeskuit en dis baie maklik! Try Time Out - proe baie soos Tex bars.

• Like 1

You don't need to be home for deliveries from Amazon.

Arrived home yesterday to our bi-monthly box of wine sitting at our front door along with my package from Amazon of some cool winter clothes for the kids (winter stuff is now on sale in the USA - cheap as chips). Our neighbour had a huge stack of Mielle appliances delivered a well - also just on his door step.

After ordering so much stuff on line over the past 4 years, it NEVER fails to amaze me that firstly the stuff actually arrives and secondly it just gets left outside your house and nobody touches it!!!

Other things I really appreciate is the clean, efficient public transport. I live just 20km north of the City and the train ride only takes 22-25 minutes (depending on whether its an express or not). It totally beats the 1.5-2 hours I used to spend going into Cape Town also from just 20km away.

Traffic is something everyone moans about here, but it is a complete joke to what Cape Town was like. Whenever people gripe about the traffic I ask if they are serious?

People generally abide by the road rules here. In SA I had so much road rage - I really thought there was something wrong with me. Over here, I have yet to experience my blood rising - after 4 whole years. Thumbs up to driving here.

Kangaroos and wallabys. The novelty just doesn't wear off! Such weird and amazing creatures!

Its so clean here.

The beaches are spotless and the water is WARM!

The safety - I can walk to and from the train station to my house, even after dark, without any worries!

The people - I find Aussies really friendly and accommodating. They are also amazingly helpful.

Every ten months you get to put whatever stuff you no longer want on your verge and it gets removed for free. The suburbs each get their turn on a rotational basis. That is not the best part though. You would be AMAZED at what people throw out! You can go freebie shopping. We picked up a PERFECT condition hamond organ. Also, we have picked a wooden outdoor set - table and benches (nothing wrong with it). That is just in our area!!!

Salvos, Good Sammy, Vinnies. These are charity shops. People donate their second and it gets sold here for next to nothing. I have picked up so many great bargains. Clothing that still has the lables on (I guess it was purchased at the wrong size), books, nick knacks. And my latest purchase - a HUGE tub of lego. From the sets inside, I have calculated that it is worth over $1000. I paid $55 for it. SCORE!!!

Ikea. Frikken awesome. I LOVE Ikea, from their furniture (which makes up almost the entire contents of my house) to their fantasticcanteen food (the meatballs are to die for).

The cost of government schools. Our school costs $80 per year!!!! And this is not even stipulated, it is a VOLUNTARY payment!!! Level of education and teacher support is fantastic. Our daughter has a severe nut allergy. Because of this, the school has a special teacher, who is supplied by the government, whose specific job is to keep an eye on my child at recess and lunch (this is done without my daughter even knowing that she is being watched).

Medicare and all of the other government rebates. You actually get to see the benefit of your taxes.

I could go on and on!

• Like 3

CONS

No chutney flavoured chips

No Tex bars

No decent samoosas

No rusks

No Mrs Balls chutney

(People are going to think that I'm a stomach on legs).

Our local Woolworths sells Simba fruit and chutney chips, Ouma rusks, Mrs Balls, and I think they have Tex bars too. True, samoosas here are different - they are soggy affairs, BUT, there is a whole new world culinary heaven over here that you don't get in SA. Your tummy will be happy!

• Like 2

Our IGA has Mrs Balls, also the South African shop.

Bake your own rusks!! Ek bak lekker karringmelkbeskuit en dis baie maklik! Try Time Out - proe baie soos Tex bars.

Yes, but they're imported .......

Nothing made here that match those.

You can GET them .....

In that way you can say Tim tams aren't an attraction, because you can get them at Pick and Pay.

<<snipped>>

The cost of government schools. Our school costs $80 per year!!!! And this is not even stipulated, it is a VOLUNTARY payment!!! Level of education and teacher support is fantastic. Our daughter has a severe nut allergy. Because of this, the school has a special teacher, who is supplied by the government, whose specific job is to keep an eye on my child at recess and lunch (this is done without my daughter even knowing that she is being watched).

Wife used to volunteer in the local school canteen, and they had a "villain's board" (my description) with photos of the kids with allergies and what they were allergic to.

So there'd be a photo of Sally and a notation about nuts and fish, so she would never be sold peanut butter or tuna sandwiches ..... of course if she swapped with a friend, it was out of the canteen staff hands.

And talking about volunteers, one of the volunteers was a policeman on stress leave (PTSD) who was waiting for a final decision on whether to retire him early or not. He had NO connection with the school except he wanted to do something.

So add volunteerism to the non-frivolous section.

• Like 1

Things I love here -

Cheezel chips

Tim tams

Natural company gums

Have fresh fruit, veg, meat and dairy delivered to my door at 6am in urban melbourne and not having the cooler bag stolen.

Walking my kids to school, walking to the beach, my son riding to school alone.

Never locking or closing the door during the day even through we have no wall in front of our house.

Great craft stuff. I love spotlight!

Aldi!

Op shops! Like Gizmo I am a seasoned op shopper!

The amazement of having all my kids stationary supplied free at the fantastic public school.

The orgasmic australian libraries.

Curbside shopping!

The birds.

The museums, zoos and art galleries - entrance at next to nothing.

The parks - we have a big one across the road.

My kitchen rules australia! (Man I hated the spice girls! And i really loved the french judge!)

Great lifesaving culture on the beach.

Great shopping

Kaisercraft scrapbooking products at next to nothing.

• Like 4

I really hope those of you that say you will be able to understand and be understood are not in for a surprise. I am English speaking and somedays I still miss what is being said - Stralian is not English ! And depending on where Aussies grow up they have a slightly different twang.

Windscreen washers - in the ACT - Hindmarsh and Melrose Drive intersection - we have a bronzed hot :blush-anim-cl: hunk - wearing very little - washing windscreens in the summer months. Its worth the gold coin !

Allison - the French chef / judge is Manu - I think Pete is cuter. And thank goodness the spice gals have left -

Dont any of you think Aus is full of eye candy ?

• Like 1

Windscreen washers - in the ACT - Hindmarsh and Melrose Drive intersection - we have a bronzed hot :blush-anim-cl: hunk - wearing very little - washing windscreens in the summer months. Its worth the gold coin !

bwahahahaha.....frivolous reasons to move to Aus, the windscreen washers on the corner of Hindmarsh and Melroe Drive, Canberra are hotter than the windscreen washers on the corner of Malongbongwe and Walter Sisulu Drive, Joburg. :)

• Like 4

The orgasmic australian libraries.

Never noticed that - is that in the "Ladies only" section? ;)

Curbside shopping!

Just like South Africa then - fruit and veggies on the pavement and avos and coke and biltong at the traffic lights :)

bwahahahaha.....frivolous reasons to move to Aus, the windscreen washers on the corner of Hindmarsh and Melroe Drive, Canberra are hotter than the windscreen washers on the corner of Malongbongwe and Walter Sisulu Drive, Joburg. :)

Now - That deserves at least 5 likes each ..... it's perfect. :ilikeit::yourock:

Why isn't there an emoticon that says "I abase myself and bathe in the reflected glory of your wit, Master"?

• Like 3

As for call centres if you use iiNet as your ISP, then the call centre is based in Cape Town. :)

Only one of them - the other day when I was being unpleasant to them, I contacted one in Melbourne ....... :angry: (Ooooh Mara is going to whip me .... luckily I like that :) )

They made me ANGRY (Hulk MAD!) - although the person was very pleasant .... iiNet - like dealing with RSA gov't - not as useless, but as obtuse.

So add "Pleasant helpdesk people while they attempt to screw you"

Edited by OubaasDik

Oubaasdik you have to look for the 50 shades of grey section! LMAO! :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

Oubaasdik you have to look for the 50 shades of grey section! LMAO! :blush-anim-cl:

I haven't seen that - is that in the Ladies Lounge? Can I get an invite, please, please? :)

Ah, I see the refernece to whipping ....... :wacko:

Edited by OubaasDik

Yes Gizmo. Forgot about Opp shopping - I love it!! My 15 month old really loves the Wiggles and we still have a video machine so I buy them for 50c to a dollar each.

Also second Ikea - used to hate it in the UK but now that I'm a seasoned furniture builder I love it. And the smaller stuff they sell are fantastic - took my mum in law there the other day when they were visiting and she bought loads of kitchen stuff. I also recently sold my fancy high chair and bought one for $29 from Ikea - so much easier to clean!

Another new thing I enjoy is being able to do my daughters' canteen order online - just hate looking for money on a Friday morning.

Sibella I agree on Ikea. We brought loads of furniture so havent bought furniture there but have bought lots of linen, cushions, kitchen stuff, throws etc. We go to the one in Springvale which has a great play area, nice eating area for next to nothing. It is great

• Like 1

Anzac Biscuits!! Dipped in coffeeeee :-)

• Like 1

That is another thing that Oubaas mentioned. The volunteering thing. So many people here do volunteering - its just giving back to society. I am so not used to the concept of people doing something only to feel good that you are contributing. (ie there is no ulterior motive).

In my office, two of my colleagues are volunteer firefighters, four are volunteer lifeguards (beach), one helps out at the Cat Haven on weekends, several are volunteer sports coaches for kids sports programs etc etc.

When we first arrived, it was just before Chrissie and we knew nobody. I cannot remember how it happened, but we were invited to a Christmas event which is organized each year by the City of Joondalup and some Churches. Its free - its for people who have nowhere to go at Christmas. It was at Joondalup central park - they had organized everything -beautifully laid out chairs and tables, a three-course Christmas lunch with all the trimmings, presents - yes, presents! I was given bath stuff and a Christmas rose plant, Hubby got choccies and our daughter got some great books and girly hair baubles. In addition to this, when we arrived, this wonderful teenager girl appeared - she had been assigned to look after Nina. She took Nina off to do a heap of craft activities before lunch, so we could have some time alone. This was organized for hundreds of people, for free! How amazing is that??? When my kids are grown up, I will definitely volunteer there to pay it forward.

• Like 9

Anzac Biscuits!! Dipped in coffeeeee :-)

Tea - Australian Afternoon tea from Twinings ;)

Frivolous reasons: drive through bottle shops where you don't even have to get out of your car, free gas barbecues at most beaches and parks, eftpos so I never have to carry cash, online shopping with a strong Australian dollar, no TV license fee, unlimited, fairly fast broadband.

• Like 4

I look forward to Coke. With gas in! How amazing!

Since the CO2 shortage here, there has been no gas in carbonated drinks. Often when you pour, there is one or two pops and then there are no more

bubbles. And when you open a bottle and come back to it, it is just flat!

So when I went on my LSD, I kept raving about the gas in the drinks. And everyone thought I was a bit looney... :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

?.... free gas barbecues at most beaches and parks, eftpos so I never have to carry cash, online shopping with a strong Australian dollar, no TV license fee, unlimited, fairly fast broadband.

Oh yes, I love that idea a lot. Good one.

So when I went on my LSD, I kept raving about the gas in the drinks. And everyone thought I was a bit looney... :blush-anim-cl:

Gas in the drinks.Once you drink it has to come out somewhere...Hope you kept it civil.
  • Like 3

CONS

No chutney flavoured chips

No Tex bars

No decent samoosas

No rusks

No Mrs Balls chutney

(People are going to think that I'm a stomach on legs).

And if it wasn't for the fact that those legs trot you on over to the next meal you wouldn't really need them :)

OBD, you need to try the Beerenberg range of sauces and chutneys, they are quite nice. http://www.beerenberg.com.au/index.cfm?objectid=8BE6EFE7-1372-1763-B0B5988BC03403FC