Some 'Frivolous' reasons to move to Australia.

TonyV

(slightly irreverent post :P )

In the last 5 years we've been to Oz twice, 2008 LSD and 2012 Visa Activation.

One of the most important tips I heard from a ex-saffer in NSW was the following:

Concentrate on the reasons why Australia is pulling you, why you would love to live there.

not on reasons why South Africa is so bad.

I thought that was quite insightful. Clearly most of us would have felt the need to re-locate

because we felt we had to for all the usual reasons... but once the decision is made, focus on

Australia and why it's calling you.

So, there are a lot of things calling me... but here are a few silly little things I look forward to:

"I can now get all the ingredients for those awesome Master Chef recipes!"

"I can join a Barbershop chorus or Quartet " (I belong to this group now: https://www.facebook.com/UnichordBarbershopChorus )

and last but not least...

" I can make use of the post office for international deliveries from the US..." - that will be a novel experience. ;)

What are your not-so-major things that excite you?

• Like 3

I can make use of public transport...

My daughter can ride her bike to school...

We can go to clean play parks...

• Like 4

Gaining back a couple of 100 hours of my life that would otherwise have been spent in queues at the post office, dept of home affairs, licensing dept, etc.

• Like 5

Living near enough to the beach to go for the day but also having an amazing beach holiday with gorgeous weather less than 2 hours away (we went to Lorne on the Great Ocean Road for a week and it was great!).

Spotting koalas, kangaroos, wallabies and the most amazing birds in the wild.

Enjoying fabulous, clean indoor and outdoor public pools some with slides. Feels like the olden days in South Africa lazing about next to the public pool.

Discovering wonderful towns and villages all over Victoria. Also love exploring child friendly cafes and family friendly festivals, events and markets.

Playgroups!!!

• Like 2

"Having litter-free streets"

"Being able to go somewhere for an evening stroll after a rare date night with hubby"

"Enjoying free family activities"

"Exploring nature (national parks or botanical gardens) for free (or almost nothing)"

"Cycling alone"

"Being understood whenever I try to explain anything over the phone"

"Understanding whoever speaks to me over the phone"

"First world efficiency where processes just work"

"A promising future for my daughter"

"Stable economy"

"Maintained infrastructure"

"Doing anything at a post office in less than 30 minutes"

"Beggar free traffic lights"

"Wanting to watch the news"

"Unburnt unbroken potato crisps"

I can go on all day :ilikeit:

• Like 5

No Windscreen wash guys at the robot.

I can send my kids to a public school

No Taxis to cut me off on the road

• Like 1

"Having litter-free streets"

"Being able to go somewhere for an evening stroll after a rare date night with hubby"

"Enjoying free family activities"

"Exploring nature (national parks or botanical gardens) for free (or almost nothing)"

"Cycling alone"

"First world efficiency where processes just work"

"A promising future for my daughter"

"Stable economy"

"Maintained infrastructure"

"Doing anything at a post office in less than 30 minutes"

"Beggar free traffic lights"

"Wanting to watch the news"

"Unburnt unbroken potato crisps"

I can go on all day :ilikeit:

And if you think OYBR is kidding she can really go on all day. :whome:

• Like 1

Generally just a better way of life and far more opportunities for my family and I.

Don't mean to burst your bubble on this one but believe it or not I saw one in Sydney!!

I can send my kids to a public school

No Taxis to cut me off on the road

Nope Northbourne and Barry Drive in Canberra have windscreen washers. I realise I've probably made you reconsider immigration, but the rest of Northbourne doesn't have many (a few).

• Like 1

Not be afraid of being raped in hospital by a nurse :glare:

• Like 2

Wow, TonyV was asking for frivolous reasons - none of those are frivolous - they're deadly serious .... no jokes. And totally valid.

Some great ones there... LOL

I loved OYBR's :

Classic!! :D

Oh, I know a trick for those pesky window washers.

Turn your window washers spray nozzles on the car out ward... and fire away

:oops: (in Ozzy accent) "that's not allowed. "

I know the heavies are applicable to most of us but how about:

"Floors not sparkling daily? - No worries mate!"

Sorry, need a bit of lightness... It's high stress and worry as it is. as of today it's two months exactly to execution of Project Skedaddle. -> Flight to Sydney.

Edited by TonyV

Some great ones there... LOL

Classic!! :D

<<snipped>>

Sorry, need a bit of lightness... It's high stress and worry as it is. as of today it's two months exactly to execution of Project Skedaddle. -> Flight to Sydney.

OYBR has not been here, so she doesn't know about the Indian (sorry they may be in Bangladesh or Pakistan or Sri Lanka - I don't know the accents) call centres that phone at supper time and try to BS you that they're phoning from Adelaide and his name is John Smith and are trying to sell you Foxtel / upgrade your phone / a thousand other things ......

As one of the comedians (Sri Lankan ancestry, I think) here said - "you guys have it easy, I hear one of those accents and slam the phone down, with me it could be family" ....... ;)

• Like 2

Don't mean to burst your bubble on this one but believe it or not I saw one in Sydney!!

There are some in Melbourne as well - unfortunately they are often druggies and I've seen then drop their stuff and run off when they have made enough to get a hit - very sad. I follow the same policy as Jo'burg and say no. The only difference is that my windscreen here is usually more in need of a wash as I no longer have cheap labour to wash my car every week and in the bigger scheme of things I have better things to do with my time - fortunately my husband feels duty bound to sort it out for me when it gets too bad.

Yes, call centres are often not even based in Australia, although one of my better call centre calls was with a Kiwi who felt duty bound to rag me over the rugby - not realising that I was completely clueless as I watch so seldom.

As for call centres if you use iiNet as your ISP, then the call centre is based in Cape Town. :)

Yes Ive seen one aswell, but the difference he had a bucket and proper sponge/equipment - not the old 500ml dirty coke bottle with Jukskei sewerage water and an someone old underpants as a cloth! Dont think that Aussie bloke lasted long there, the cops probably warned him :ilikeit:

• Like 1

There is a window washer at he lights on The Crecent in Annandale Sydney, has been for years. He dresses up in fancy dress, according to the time of the year (Easter, Valentines, Halloween) and has a Xmas tree every year (tied to the traffic light). He does a good job too, did mine for free one day (tipped him), he must make a killing.

There are many reasons people find themselves homeless or down on their luck. Its uninformed to assume most have drug issues. Its usually a culmination of events and something tips it. Google reasons for becoming homeless in Aus. It might make us be better parents, neighbours, people in general.

• Like 1

Hate to burst the bubble on this one too. In some ways it's worse here. Now the call centres are answered from The Philappeans and India. They are a nightmare.

Also often the Aussies can't understand us and we can't understand them,lol!

- smiths cheese and onion crinkle cut chips

- trail running without the threat of being attacked (admittedly, the odd roo has made me jump out of my skin!)

-trail running, outside my back gate, yet we live 20km from the city

- road trips... Very long ones!

- Melbourne is the coffee capital of the world

-

• Like 1

OYBR has not been here, so she doesn't know about the Indian (sorry they may be in Bangladesh or Pakistan or Sri Lanka - I don't know the accents) call centres that phone at supper time and try to BS you that they're phoning from Adelaide and his name is John Smith and are trying to sell you Foxtel / upgrade your phone / a thousand other things ......

At least in Aussie you can go to the website (i forget exactly which one) and register your number as Do Not Call. Legally they are then bound to NOT phone you with any telesales and if they do you can report them

Edited by slabbert

CONS

No chutney flavoured chips

No Tex bars

No decent samoosas

No rusks

No Mrs Balls chutney

(People are going to think that I'm a stomach on legs).

• Like 2