I O M Flights

Guest May

How much did you have to end up paying in?

I can't exactly recall how much it was, it was +- R2000 ... which sucks - because they changed the overweight charging after 1 Sept 2012 ... meaning, if I booked my ticket after 1 Sept 2012.. I would have only paid +-R900 ( I think it is R450 per bag that is overweight) .... bad timing I guess.

Did your golf clubs count as a bag or were you allowed an additional sporting goods bag I.E were your golf clubs a 3rd large item for yourself?

No, the golf clubs were not counted as a bag. I had 2 suitcases, a bigish carry on bag. and then the golf clubs... I only took the clubs and not the bag (which you probably can) ... I took the clubs to one of those cling wrapping service stations at the airport and they nicely wrapped it up for me for R50.

The golf clubs were seen as sporting equipment .. so It was allowed. :) ...

so between me and my wife - our 4 suitcases were 9kgs over weight ... that is excluding clubs, with clubs it was like 14kgs over ... but they only charge for the 9kg. Sporting equipment they just let me take on .. :)

Not sure if this was posted but feeling too lazy to reread every post :closedeyes: . This is from IOM on my tickets (which cost R8300 per adult for 15 April):

ECONOMY CLASS: TWO (2) CHECKED BAGS (MAX 50LBS/23KG & 62”/158CM EA.), ONE (1)

CARRY-ON BAG (MAX. 18LBS/8KG & 45”/115CM EA.) PLUS ONE (1) SMALL PERSONAL ITEM

(E.G. PURSE, LAPTOP BAG).

INFANTS NOT OCCUPYING A SEAT: ONE (1) CHECKED BAG (MAX 22LBS/10KG), ONE (1)

COLLAPSIBLE BUGGY.

If you just check more to the top of your ticket, you will see your baggage allowance is 40kg ... (and not 2 bags of 23kgs each = 46kgs) ... unless you want to pack it to 46kgs... and pay extra on over weight fees.

• Like 2

If you just check more to the top of your ticket, you will see your baggage allowance is 40kg ... (and not 2 bags of 23kgs each = 46kgs) ... unless you want to pack it to 46kgs... and pay extra on over weight fees.

As per my e-ticket and quote from IOM it is 2 x 23kg each. There is nothing about 40kg allowance.

As per my e-ticket and quote from IOM it is 2 x 23kg each. There is nothing about 40kg allowance.

Can you check one more time .....

Where you can see your flight number and from/to etc etc...

The headings should look like this:

FROM /TO FLIGHT CL DATE DEP FARE BASIS NVB NVA BAG ST

that BAG... that is your baggage.

Can you check one more time .....

Where you can see your flight number and from/to etc etc...

The headings should look like this:

FROM /TO FLIGHT CL DATE DEP FARE BASIS NVB NVA BAG ST

that BAG... that is your baggage.

On my ones under BAG it just says 2PC.

The only weight for cattle class is 2x checked bags of 23kgs max.

On my ones under BAG it just says 2PC.

The only weight for cattle class is 2x checked bags of 23kgs max.

Mine is the same. Even my quote from IOM stated the baggage allowance as 2 x 23kg.

I dont think it will say this and not be true.

Cool, so maybe this change went hand in hand with the changes made by SAA after 1 Sept 2012 ... It's that extra bonus 6 kgs you are allowed

:ilikeit:

Hey Guys,

I flew here on IOM 9 days ago and i got 2 x 23kg and used it all. There were no questions at the airport.

• Like 3

@Hejj - and you thought I had faith!!!!

@ everyone....my travel agent (who had organised a friend's immigration) can do the qantas good deal on a one way flight too...and you get 2 x 23 kg of luggage allowance so no IOM necessary and flights pretty reasonable. Hejj, it's an ordinary bag size...any travel suitcase will do weighing no more than 23kg and each passenger would be allowed two of them.

Qantas operates/partners with SAA and so you get to fly good old SAA...and here's hoping we get the good planes!!! had a horrible experience last year coming back from perth on a DAYTIME flight (all 11 hrs) on one of the planes from the OLD fleet...when I say old I mean...it had those tvs at the front of the plane and pilot changes the video....they played absolute rubbish and I really felt for the moms with small kids on the flight as they weren't tired (we left perth at 7am...never to be repeated...) adn there was just NO entertainment!! it was a total shocker!!! Anyhoo, here's hoping for excellent updated air travel (as I will travelling with all three of my children ALONE!)....needless to say they all received electronic gaming from Father Christmas (against my usual well intentioned keeping them climbing trees mentality)...to preserve my sanity as well as my fellow passengers....oh, and moms, pack food (just don't forget to discard it in oz)...the only snack they had...PRETZELS...just how many pretzels can you use to keep a kid quiet?

Get a FF card while in SA and claim the miles

Hi Ozziewishes

When do you leave PE? I am waiting for my IOM quote and hope to be on my way to Brizzie 8th Feb. Is your travel agent PE based? Would be good to get another quote.

Thanks and all the best!

Wendy

@ PEgal, yes she's PE based...her name is:

Jann Meyer

Senior Travel Consultant | Tourvest Travel Services

Corner of Westborne Rd & Dickens St, Richmond Hill

[t] 041 3986400 / 086 111 2388 [f] 0866741941

[e] jann.meyer@travel.co.za

[Emergency Call Centre] 0861 357 159 or +27 11 541 1152

She's been very good at getting back to me and is quite quick. Leave her a message tonight and I'm sure she'll get back to you tomorrow. Tell her I sent you.

I am hoping to take beds as they are expensive there....I'm taking all our furniture as expensive there but no electronics as we need upgrades anyway and they're quite cost effective there.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I have an IOM flight question. After booking through IOM, can you buy extra luggage?

I have an IOM flight question. After booking through IOM, can you buy extra luggage?

You should be able to pay for excess luggage at the airport. If I'm not mistaken IOM use Qantas flights operated by SAA. They will send you over to the Excess baggage counter to pay for the extra bags before they will check you into the flight. I have also heard that it's rather expensive to do it that way.

Thanks HEOJ.

I know it's expensive, but when you have to take your whole life over in suitcases, that's what you have to do hey? Although 2 x 23kg bags plus 1 hand luggage is actually not that bad. So may actually not need to do that at the end, we are newly married so don't have a whole lot and will rather be selling the furniture that we do have.

Choosing to take our fur babies instead of furniture :)