I O M Flights

Guest May

Importing a solid lead elephant?

Lol, OubaasDik!

I really do hope we can take more than one suitcase but we really need to get clarity as we have to buy some suitcases and don't want to buy the wrong sizes. Will go back again next week and ask somebody else this time.

Just for the interest of those with babies, they do allow you to bring a camping cot as part of your baby's 40kg allowance, and the pram and car seat are allowed and not do not form part of the 40kg, they just come with the baby.

Edited by Tisha

@Tisha

Who did you book your tickets through? If it was IOM then as far as I understand it you get 2 bags one of which may be a maximum of 23kg's which means the other bag can't exceed 17kg's and one piece of hand luggage of a certain dimension which may not exceed 7kg's. If you booked through IOM and went to Flight Centre to find out what the luggage allowances are, I doubt very much that they would have the correct details, you are going to need to contact IOM for the correct information.

I sent an email to Tumi and was sent IOM's information document which stated the above. I have also done a bit of reading up on IOM and have discovered the following which may clarify some answers.

IOM (International Organisation for Migration) is an international organisation that assists migrants and refugees to travel to (in the case of migrants) their chosen country of immigration and (in the case of refugees) to get out of the country's where they are being "persecuted" like Ruwanda, DRC, Bosnia, Hertzogovinia etc. and because they are a non-profit humanitarian organisation as such they have been able to negotiate very good deals with all the major airlines across the world with special concessions like extra luggage which you wouldn't get through an airline should you book direct.

The story behind the only being able to use IOM once in your lifetime may be misinterpreted because of the way they word it. In the email Tumi sent me they state that IOM can only assist in one way travel to the country of chosen immigration, they cannot assist in the return travel to your country of origin, the way I interpret it is that IOM South Africa would not be able to assist with return travel because they are doing this specifically to assist migrants from South Africa. If in a couple of years you want to come back (emigrate back to South Africa from Australia) you would then need to contact IOM Australia.

IOM have special concessions because of what they do and because they make block bookings with the major airlines the get substantially discounted rates.

I agree HadEnoughofJuju about IOM, I had IOM quote and also a travel agent and when I declined the latter they asked to re-quote only to come back about the class of the ticket not being right for the baggage allowance. I didnt want to get into any more discussions bec what they are not understanding is that IOM is not the run of the mill travel agent they are a special organisation with dispensations so they negotiate with the airlines.

ECONOMY CLASS: TWO (2) CHECKED BAGS (MAX 50LBS/23KG & 62”/158CM EA.), ONE (1)

CARRY-ON BAG (MAX. 18LBS/8KG & 45”/115CM EA.) PLUS ONE (1) SMALL PERSONAL ITEM

(E.G. PURSE, LAPTOP BAG).

This is direct from my ticket, also note that for my baby daughter it was

INFANTS NOT OCCUPYING A SEAT: ONE (1) CHECKED BAG (MAX 22LBS/10KG), ONE (1)

COLLAPSIBLE BUGGY.

The flight is with SAA through IOM.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Dazzmatazz. It will help now that we know what size luggage to buy.

• Like 1

@Tisha

Who did you book your tickets through? If it was IOM then as far as I understand it you get 2 bags one of which may be a maximum of 23kg's which means the other bag can't exceed 17kg's and one piece of hand luggage of a certain dimension which may not exceed 7kg's. If you booked through IOM and went to Flight Centre to find out what the luggage allowances are, I doubt very much that they would have the correct details, you are going to need to contact IOM for the correct information.

I sent an email to Tumi and was sent IOM's information document which stated the above. I have also done a bit of reading up on IOM and have discovered the following which may clarify some answers.

IOM (International Organisation for Migration) is an international organisation that assists migrants and refugees to travel to (in the case of migrants) their chosen country of immigration and (in the case of refugees) to get out of the country's where they are being "persecuted" like Ruwanda, DRC, Bosnia, Hertzogovinia etc. and because they are a non-profit humanitarian organisation as such they have been able to negotiate very good deals with all the major airlines across the world with special concessions like extra luggage which you wouldn't get through an airline should you book direct.

The story behind the only being able to use IOM once in your lifetime may be misinterpreted because of the way they word it. In the email Tumi sent me they state that IOM can only assist in one way travel to the country of chosen immigration, they cannot assist in the return travel to your country of origin, the way I interpret it is that IOM South Africa would not be able to assist with return travel because they are doing this specifically to assist migrants from South Africa. If in a couple of years you want to come back (emigrate back to South Africa from Australia) you would then need to contact IOM Australia.

IOM have special concessions because of what they do and because they make block bookings with the major airlines the get substantially discounted rates.

Hi HEJJ

We haven't bought our tickets yet as we are still waiting for our Visa's to be finalized. Tumi unfortunately cannot quote us until we have received the visa confirmation letters. I just went to flight center to check on baggage allowances as we were hoping to buy suitcases and do some planning. We need to work out what to take over on the plane and what to ship as the movers are coming on 28 December to pack... so pretty much in a catch 22 position and feeling a little in the dark. But oh well, did buy suitcases today and sorted it out with the store, that if something drastically changes and we cannot take the amount of luggage we planned, that we would be able to return it for a full refund.

Did however learn something important with this exercise, learned that Quantas also started offering specials flights for migrants with extra luggage concessions, so if IOM can't assist i.e too short notice or dates not available ect. then maybe we can book directly with Quantas.

Thanks Dazzmatazz for the dimensions given :)

I am starting to feel like I have no faith here, all you people making plans like selling stuff and arranging movers and not yet having a final decision. I admire your amazing faith, I know I wouldn't be able to budge until I know for certain what's going on.

Just as a matter of interest to all, Qantas is how it is spelt, there is no u in it. The word is an acronym and originally actually stood for Queensland And Northern Territory Air Services.

General baggage allowance in economy class for MOST airlines - 1 x piece not exceeding 23kg & 1 x cabin bag not exceeding 7kg (cabin bag is subject to size restrictions as it must fit in the overhead locker)

Most airlines also restrict the absolute maximum weight to no more than 32kg per suitcase for health & safety reasons

Emirates - 30kg allowance in economy class

I am starting to feel like I have no faith here, all you people making plans like selling stuff and arranging movers and not yet having a final decision. I admire your amazing faith, I know I wouldn't be able to budge until I know for certain what's going on.

Y'mean you wouldn't fall for the church preaching the end of the world, so sell up, give us your money and sit on the mountain-top?

Hmmm, is he wise, or does he lack faith? :closedeyes:

Nope just lack faith. ;)

• Like 1

Oh, my son, BELIEVE ...

btw, this is my bank account .... :)

Oh, my son, BELIEVE ...

btw, this is my bank account .... :)

I don't think you would want my rands, translates into about AUS2.50 ;)

We were at JHB International Airport today (sorry I refuse to call it that other name) and I tried to find a Qantas ticket sales or customer care counter to get an accurate luggage weight/measurement from them as well as try and find out what extra weight/bags will cost only to find that they only open those counters when there is a flight and that is not often. How difficult can it be to get accurate information? I even tried phoning them yesterday and held on for about 6 minutes and still had no luck with talking to a real person. :boxing:

We were at JHB International Airport today (sorry I refuse to call it that other name).......

:) You could have called it "Jan Smuts"

Please update when you have the info. I'm flying 22 Jan.

Was originally flying 3 Feb to Sydney, but got a job offer and they want me there earlier... PS: 3 Feb Flight One-Way R7,700, 22 Jan Flight R10,600

I have sooo much to do, don't know where to start ;) My wife and son will follow end March, but I have to ensure things are ready to be packed - the GARAGE :)

I will definitely post when I get to speak to a real person who can answer my questions. Good luck with the move, things are really moving fast for you guys now. :ilikeit:

ok so just that I am clear :unsure: We STILL dont know the actual size as in good SA centimetres(please dont quote me inches bec then I have to go and find that tape measure that is older than me and I am no spring chicken)....and none of the PEP stores have those chinese bags, yes I can't find them in my own backyard Wahhhh!!!....well I am taking my rice cooker no space for the weber.

Yup, I know this seems a bit ridiculous but I am trying to find out the complete measurements, i.e. LxBxH. Everything I have found so far is just one measurement with a weight. Will keep hunting until I find an answer.

Maybe the one measurement is like a TV's measurement? Diagonally :D

posted in error

Edited by OubaasDik

posted in error

Diagonally :D

We just used normal Travelite luggage ... Had to actually take some things out as it was too heavy. A bag shouldn't really be more than 23kgs ..

on the flight tickets booked through IOM .. it will tell you your allowed baggage ... which is 40kgs - at the bottom that has the terms and stuff it does show 2 bags .. not exceeding 23kgs each .. you don't get 46 .. only 40 ... our bags were over by 9kgs .. (4.5 each) .. and we had to pay in. Glad they didn't charge extra for my golf clubs :)

We just used normal Travelite luggage ... Had to actually take some things out as it was too heavy. A bag shouldn't really be more than 23kgs ..

on the flight tickets booked through IOM .. it will tell you your allowed baggage ... which is 40kgs - at the bottom that has the terms and stuff it does show 2 bags .. not exceeding 23kgs each .. you don't get 46 .. only 40 ... our bags were over by 9kgs .. (4.5 each) .. and we had to pay in. Glad they didn't charge extra for my golf clubs :)

How much did you have to end up paying in?

.. and we had to pay in. Glad they didn't charge extra for my golf clubs :)

Did your golf clubs count as a bag or were you allowed an additional sporting goods bag I.E were your golf clubs a 3rd large item for yourself?

Not sure if this was posted but feeling too lazy to reread every post :closedeyes: . This is from IOM on my tickets (which cost R8300 per adult for 15 April):

ECONOMY CLASS: TWO (2) CHECKED BAGS (MAX 50LBS/23KG & 62”/158CM EA.), ONE (1)

CARRY-ON BAG (MAX. 18LBS/8KG & 45”/115CM EA.) PLUS ONE (1) SMALL PERSONAL ITEM

(E.G. PURSE, LAPTOP BAG).

INFANTS NOT OCCUPYING A SEAT: ONE (1) CHECKED BAG (MAX 22LBS/10KG), ONE (1)

COLLAPSIBLE BUGGY.