Hard part done (supposedly) now for the real stuff!

OfftoOz

OfftoOz

Congrats on making the decision and taking the plunge!

I trust it will fall into place!

Enjoy Oz and keep in touch with us!

The company paid for our move (with business class airline tickets) paid for our dogs, and gave us $10,000 reloction. They also set us up in hotels and a furnished house untill our stuff arrived (didnt take much, bought everything new). Thats not all. I started looking for a job after my husband managed to get a job. I was so suprised when I got a telephone interview for a administration job in Government...and two weeks later they phoned me to say that I got the job and that they will be waiting for me, as we only left South Africa two months later.

Wow, super-inspirational, that brought a big old stupid grin to my face :D Really happy for you Jody.

OffToOz - Good luck, you'll be fine. My Mrs lives life by the philosophy 'Everything happens for a reason' and it hasn't let us down yet.

• Like 1

I went to the Post Office, really quick and painless (FYI - I'm based in the UK where Royal Mail is considered to walks on water, not sure if it can also be done at a post office in SA.)

I think you can also get it certified by a Doctor, Teacher, Lawyer or Police (but I'd just doubly confirm this)

How's the document collection going?

I think you can also get it certified by a Doctor, Teacher, Lawyer or Police (but I'd just doubly confirm this)

Unfortunately here in South Africa the service you get at the Post Office and SAPS is pathetic that and the fact that DIAC could possible reject the documents certified by these 2 wonderful institutions.

I can't remember where now but I read it somewhere here on the forum that DIAC do not accept documents certified by the SAPS or SAPO, I think this is because of the fact that trhe stamps do not contain the words "Certified a true copy of the original". DIAC are specific about who can certify and what wording/information must appear on the certified document.

We used an advocate (who happens to be a friend as well). The persons position, authority to certify, address, contact numbers, date of certification and signature along with the words "certified a true copy of the original" must appear on the certified copy.

If you use a teacher just check that they are a commissioner of oaths, some of the deputy principals at my wife's school are and I know that principals can also certify documents. Just warn the person you ask that they are going to sign and certify many pages.

Thanks Claudio - yeah that's not an option in SA unfortunately.

HEOJJ, you're lucky to have the advocate as a friend. I've always used an old lawyer at a law firm in Milnerton but the last time I went to get some documents notarised he got quite upset at how many documents he had to stamp. It's also a free service, so I'm not surprised they aren't too happy to do it. I'd be happy to pay though, but I'm not sure they're allowed to charge? Did you have everything stamped with the full notary stamp i.e. the embossed stamp?

Claudio, where did you go to get your docs certified?

We lived in Jo'burg and there were a couple of PostNets who had people who could certify. They don't charge you to certify, but you have to make the copies with them. So maybe start calling up PostNet...

Edited to add: Because we had so many documents, I usually offered to stamp all of them while she was helping other customers, and when I was done she just signed.

Edited by heidim

Unfortunately here in South Africa the service you get at the Post Office and SAPS is pathetic that and the fact that DIAC could possible reject the documents certified by these 2 wonderful institutions.

I can't remember where now but I read it somewhere here on the forum that DIAC do not accept documents certified by the SAPS or SAPO, I think this is because of the fact that trhe stamps do not contain the words "Certified a true copy of the original". DIAC are specific about who can certify and what wording/information must appear on the certified document.

We used an advocate (who happens to be a friend as well). The persons position, authority to certify, address, contact numbers, date of certification and signature along with the words "certified a true copy of the original" must appear on the certified copy.

If you use a teacher just check that they are a commissioner of oaths, some of the deputy principals at my wife's school are and I know that principals can also certify documents. Just warn the person you ask that they are going to sign and certify many pages.

I believe you are right - when we had to certify ours, we were told NOT to use the SAPS (how's that for ironic??). We just went to Postnet and they happily obliged :ilikeit:

We Google'd for the details of a lawyer in our area, and took it to him. They are not allowed to charge you for certifying anything. :)

Although we did give him a box of chocolates for all the effort and the large amount of documents he certified ;)

Also take the business card to scan and upload, they like to confirm the reputation of the certifier :)

We lived in Jo'burg and there were a couple of PostNets who had people who could certify. They don't charge you to certify, but you have to make the copies with them. So maybe start calling up PostNet...

Edited to add: Because we had so many documents, I usually offered to stamp all of them while she was helping other customers, and when I was done she just signed.

That sounds like a good idea ;)

We Google'd for the details of a lawyer in our area, and took it to him. They are not allowed to charge you for certifying anything. :)

Although we did give him a box of chocolates for all the effort and the large amount of documents he certified ;)

Also take the business card to scan and upload, they like to confirm the reputation of the certifier :)

Good to know that you shouldn't have to pay. I know there is a local post office that charges for certification... hmmmm :glare:

Thanks for that info HEOJJ :)

Wow, thanks for the info guys - I really didn't know that PostNet was an option. Do they stamp the docs with a notary (embossed) stamp or not?

Have you guys used them successfully i.e. was their certification accepted by VETASSESS?

Wow, thanks for the info guys - I really didn't know that PostNet was an option. Do they stamp the docs with a notary (embossed) stamp or not?

Yip they are if you can find one with a commissioner of Oaths on duty, every time I tried I got an Eish the person is not here. :angry2: and the stamp is just a plain old black or red ink stamp with a date and signature.

Have you guys used them successfully i.e. was their certification accepted by VETASSESS?

As long as the following information as well as the words "certified a true copy of the original" appears on the certified copy:

• The persons position,
  • Authority to certify,
  • Address,
  • Contact numbers,
  • Date of certification
  • Signature

I also got the guy who did our stuff to stamp with a red ink stamp and sign with a blue pen (and believe me when I say people look at you funny when you request this) so that when you colour scan the certified copies for DIAC there is colour on the copies.

• Like 1

We got ours done by the agent, that is allowed too. I remember reading it somewhere, it slips my mind now. I thought the agent a better option as the form requires that the signer write legibly their names and designation. I figured when the SAPS or PO have a bunch of docs to sign they will definately rush through the papers and I will probably forget who signed them in the event that Vetassess queries it.

Below is an excerpt from the Explanatory Notes page of the Skills Assessment form:

Certification

All documents must be certified as a true copy of the original by a person who is authorised to certify documents in your country of residence. In many countries people such as lawyers, Justices of the Peace and Public Notaries (among others) are authorised to certify documents.

Each copy of the document must be certified separately and must show clearly:

• the words ‘certified true copy of the original’

• the original signature of the certifying officer

• the name and address or provider/ registration number (where appropriate) of the certifying officer legibly printed below the signature so that VETASSESS can contact the certifying officer if necessary.

VETASSESS does not accept:

• photocopies of certified copies

• certification by a company rather than the individual within the company who is authorised to certify documents

• certification where the identity of the certifying officer is unclear or the certifier’s contact details are illegible.

• Like 1

Excellent, thanks for the info. Will see if the PostNet at Canal Walk stays open late - I know the post office is open until 7pm, so will have to arrange a trip after work one evening soon.

• 2 weeks later...

ICAA refused to accept the ones certified by SAPs for Skills Assesment. I had to go to my bank (Standard Bank) and they accepted them. I am sure most banks offer that service.

All the Best!