The Packing Up Process - How To

Claudia haycocks

I don't know if you did this or not but I absolutely hate this attitude. Personally I don't understand why people will put Australia's flora and fauna at risk. As an Australian citizen I'd prefer people who are prepared to do it not to come to Australia.

No, I have not done this, I'm busy packing.

What would you suggest I do? It is a canvas with my babies hand prints on it, of huge sentimental value as she is now 7 years old.

This would be the only piece of untreated wood in my whole container, and is a small frame.

Anyway, point taken, so sorry to have offended you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there, gosh I've got to say hadn't given a thought to the canvas thing, nor scrap booking goodies, mmhh it's amazing how many things you don't think of, not necessarily intentionally, but just not thought of. blush.gif Am seriously going to need to go through things with a fine tooth comb. Just an idea in relation to that precious canvas, I think if you turn it over, you'll probably find it's just been staple gunned - I know a bit of a painful process, but what about prizing the staples off the frame, removing the canvas and then just giving it a quick coat of varnish / pva. Putting back together is also a bit of a pain, but not too difficult, you'd then just be re-stretching the canvas over the frame. Oh hell, sorry been trying to explain how to do that so your canvas doesn't pull unevenly, and began to confuse myself with the instructions....if you mission pm me and I'll try re-explaining...I do the painting thing from time to time hence, stretching of canvases. Alternatively a thought for the scrapbooks, perhaps trimmed and put into one of those? Everything just always seems such a mission, but in the long run, if somethings very special, perhaps the time taken to sort out would alleviate those worries. So many well wishes with the packing thing, take care smile.gif

Hey there, gosh I've got to say hadn't given a thought to the canvas thing, nor scrap booking goodies, mmhh it's amazing how many things you don't think of, not necessarily intentionally, but just not thought of. blush.gif Am seriously going to need to go through things with a fine tooth comb. Just an idea in relation to that precious canvas, I think if you turn it over, you'll probably find it's just been staple gunned - I know a bit of a painful process, but what about prizing the staples off the frame, removing the canvas and then just giving it a quick coat of varnish / pva. Putting back together is also a bit of a pain, but not too difficult, you'd then just be re-stretching the canvas over the frame. Oh hell, sorry been trying to explain how to do that so your canvas doesn't pull unevenly, and began to confuse myself with the instructions....if you mission pm me and I'll try re-explaining...I do the painting thing from time to time hence, stretching of canvases. Alternatively a thought for the scrapbooks, perhaps trimmed and put into one of those? Everything just always seems such a mission, but in the long run, if somethings very special, perhaps the time taken to sort out would alleviate those worries. So many well wishes with the packing thing, take care smile.gif

Hi Claudia

I do so enjoy your posts, they are so entertaining! It seems we're going through very similar things right now!

Thanks for the suggestion, was thinking about that too, I think it's possible, not a very fancy canvas. Sigh, more painting :whome:

Happy packing! I'm going to blitz it this weekend and get it behind me now, it's dragging on for too long.

Jacquie

Things I was uncertain of (and obviously were pretty small) I bought in my hand luggage (I had a couple of wooden things).

I declared them at customs at the immigration hall and they were inspected.

Had they not been cleared I would have then had the choice of paying for quarantine & fumigation / destruction / send back.

I preferred to have them with me rather than in the boxes in case it delayed things while they were checking.

My 2c worth on the packing - I will be doing it Mara's way next time. I hated having to leave everything out waiting for the packers to come. It would have made much more sense for me to pack as I went along. In the future I will pack myself except for any important delicate items.

I noticed a few rather large spaces that could/should have been filled when packing that annoyed me. I left boxes and buckets empty because of the "packers need to see everything re insurance issues" thinking they would be filled and on several occasions noticed they were not. Including an otherwise throwaway ice cream tub I had used to place all the knives and forks in (so they would be easy to handle) which was emptied and then packed individually with nothing inside (I had given up by then and had to walk away or scream).

Also a bit of a spreadsheet freak and would have liked one detailing the contents of our boxes. I tried making lists as they packed but gave up pretty much immediately it all happens too quickly.

Sounds so familiar the story of the packers.

The difficulty is that even if you already have stuff packed dont expect the packers to honour that - think maybe they think you are going to pack illegal stuff and then they will be held accountable so they need to ensure that it is all above board (well that is what I told myself). I had already packed stuff up in boxes ready for shipping (a marvel of engineering my packing was with each little space filled with an appropriately shaped item) only to have the packers empty everything into their boxes so all my detailed planning and organisation came to nothing. Had a small set of drawers that I had used for stationery - all the stuff was pulled out the drawers thrown loosely into a box and the drawers packed separately empty. They did keep a sort of list of contents of boxes but obviously they dont detail every item which makes it hard to figure out what was packed where e.g. included in the shipment were 2 guitars although they didnt appear anywhere on the packing list. Yeah short and tall you pick your battles and by the time you have sheep dogged packers, made sure they were packing what they were supposed to pack and not leaving behind half of the stuff, tried to sort out crises you just give up and go with the flow.

They are mostly worried about raw wood with bark on rather than processed wood such as a picture frame. As suggested if at all worried keep it aside for your hand luggage and get it checked. I had a small wooden keyring the sort of thing you get at the flea market - showed it to the guys at quarantine and they just waved it through. We had wooden carvings etc in our shipment and had absolutely no trouble.

Hey Jaquie, so pleased to hear I manage to put a smile on your face, at my expense might I add wink.gif. Mmmhh hubby's at his wits ends with me and all my 'areas of concern' Have wondered from time to time as I put up yet another of my posts, whether I'll end up a laughing stock, but just can't help myself.... I truly need to sort out all these things that worry me so if I'm to get through this!! I must say though it's certainly a consolation knowing there are a few others out there just like me, pfft or in similar positions anyway. Can just picture your dismay....more painting hehehehehehe....I'm truly wicked at stages!! Be thinking of you and that precious canvas, good luck with all and travel saferolleyes.gif

Hi Claudia

I do so enjoy your posts, they are so entertaining! It seems we're going through very similar things right now!

Thanks for the suggestion, was thinking about that too, I think it's possible, not a very fancy canvas. Sigh, more painting :whome:

Happy packing! I'm going to blitz it this weekend and get it behind me now, it's dragging on for too long.

Jacquie

Zoot, Short&Tall, many thank you's again for all the advice and suggestions, every little piece helps, will keep all in mind as as we travel full steam ahead towards the inevitable, still a good couple of months yet, so time enough to prepare myself...... I hope. Grand day Ladies smile.gif

No, I have not done this, I'm busy packing.

What would you suggest I do? It is a canvas with my babies hand prints on it, of huge sentimental value as she is now 7 years old.

This would be the only piece of untreated wood in my whole container, and is a small frame.

Anyway, point taken, so sorry to have offended you.

Great to see that people are thinking of the consequences. I read an article about how a bug from Africa is currently threatening thousands of trees in Australia. For the life of me I can't find it now, as I would have linked it to the post.

I don't think the size of the fame is the issue. I don't know of the ins and outs but maybe if you remove the canvas and ship it over rolled up and protected and have it re-framed in Australia may be a solution????????

Good luck with the packing

Thank you very much to all for your responses re my concerns about the wooden items. It is much appreciated!

Karen

x

Hey Jaquie, so pleased to hear I manage to put a smile on your face, at my expense might I add wink.gif. Mmmhh hubby's at his wits ends with me and all my 'areas of concern' Have wondered from time to time as I put up yet another of my posts, whether I'll end up a laughing stock, but just can't help myself.... I truly need to sort out all these things that worry me so if I'm to get through this!! I must say though it's certainly a consolation knowing there are a few others out there just like me, pfft or in similar positions anyway. Can just picture your dismay....more painting hehehehehehe....I'm truly wicked at stages!! Be thinking of you and that precious canvas, good luck with all and travel saferolleyes.gif

lol, don't worry, all of your "areas of concern" are mine too. I just have to read your posts and I get all my info, thanks :)

I love reading all these posts as they cover a lot of my questions. Getting my 1st quote from Execumove in 10 days time, and writing lists of questions that I pick up from all these posts, so thank you. Do any of you have any suggestions of who else I should get a quote from to go from Johannesburg to Sydney.

Thanks guys :D:D Ok so why am I getting these excuses for big smiles?

I love reading all these posts as they cover a lot of my questions. Getting my 1st quote from Execumove in 10 days time, and writing lists of questions that I pick up from all these posts, so thank you. Do any of you have any suggestions of who else I should get a quote from to go from Johannesburg to Sydney.

Thanks guys :D:D Ok so why am I getting these excuses for big smiles?

:ilikeit:

Our 15 boxes sent by Seven Seas pretty much consisted of paintings. They were all bought in art galleries, so professional frames, no issues. I think they get nervous of African art, like wooden figures and masks, famous for hiding little critters.

hi hi

sorry to reply only now. No internet access for the past 2 days.

everything went really well with the last packing of furniture and then loading the container. everything fit. I must admit, I didn't stay for the whole "packing the container" thing. didn't see the need for 2 people checking up on the people. I went for a massage and a facial. I really needed that. and it was so worth it. when I came back, they were almost finished. We locked the container and said buy to the furniture (lucky furniture - 6 weeks cruise).

yes, regarding the feathers. give it away. my little girl's feather bola found a new owner as well as the craft feathers. the guy from crown said that all wood must come from a traceable source. like cupboard, someone went to Mr Wood (or some place) and bought the wood and made the cupboard - that is traceable. but if some guy made something off a tree, then NO... I've got a crate from Word War 2. And the wood is traceable. and that went with. but I bought a little cupboard from someone next to the road - that had to stay.

For now, I am just starting to pack our things that have to go with us in the plane. I left everything in the cupboards that we want with us. I must say, the experience is not so good for my nearly 3 year old girl. she doesn't understand what is going on. where is her bed, etc. and why we stay with friends. so, I bought the springbok bag on wheels. and some nice things for the plane to keep them busy. I'm sure they will love it. Just want to make everything as smooth as possible for them. And I promise that we will have a nice "vacation" while we wait for the furniture. Hubby is starting with his work about 6 days after we arrived in Perth. then we won't be seeing him for 8 days. so, I will take the children to the beach and some nice outings. when the furniture arrived, there will be no time for these things for a while.

O wow, that's so exciting, can't wait to get to that stage. I want to sell my house next. When are you flying. ENJOY THIS NEW ADVENTURE, try not to stress too much as I know our children pick up on it when we do.

hi blondie,

We are flying on wednesday (28 Sept) at 11:20 the evening. very late for the children but hey, think they will be so excited. it will be their first long flight.

when are you going?

Hey Dona thank you for final packing update, so pleased to hear all went so well. Facial..... massage..... am super impressed, how you managed to coordinate that one I'll never know, but no doubt well deserved!! Tips pls tongue.gif.

Ok so for yet another of my queries......back to the feather thing ......would it apply to 'down' pillows and duvet inners? Mmmhhh, just wonderingwhistling.gif

Hey Dona thank you for final packing update, so pleased to hear all went so well. Facial..... massage..... am super impressed, how you managed to coordinate that one I'll never know, but no doubt well deserved!! Tips pls tongue.gif.

Ok so for yet another of my queries......back to the feather thing ......would it apply to 'down' pillows and duvet inners? Mmmhhh, just wonderingwhistling.gif

At the risk of getting into trouble again - I was told feathers in pillows and duvets were okay, I hope my information is right.

Anyone know, my daughters doll's house is wood, from Germany, not varnished/painted. Seriously nice toy. Will they want to destroy?

hi blondie,

We are flying on wednesday (28 Sept) at 11:20 the evening. very late for the children but hey, think they will be so excited. it will be their first long flight.

when are you going?

Hi Dona, will only be going probably in April, si you will have to give us regular updates to keep us motivated :ilikeit: Have a good flight, and try not to get to stressed with the kids.

I ALOSO WANT TO GO NOW :angry:

Regards

Blondiejhb

Hi Donna

Ek verbeel my jy't iewers genoem julle gaan Perth toe?? Watter area en hoe oud is jou kids? Ons land 25/12!!! en gaan kyk vir 'n huis in die Woodvale area. My kinders is 14, 12 en 9. Ons kan hulle nog nie in 'n skool kry nie, want ons moet eers 'n adres he. Vir my 'n uiters stresvolle situasie!!

groete

Karin

hI VAalrivier

Jip, ons gaan Perth toe. Ons gaan vir eers in 'n woonstel bly, maar is nog nie seker waar ons na die tyd gaan bly nie. wil rustig deur die buurte ry en kyk watter area is reg. Ons was in Maart vir 4 dae in Perth en dit was hopeloos te vinnig om na buurte te kyk.

ek moet sê, ek vat alles baie rugtig en vat dit soos dit kom. die moeilikste op die oomblik was om die honde bye te se en woensdag gaan baie swaar wees - om vir my ouers bye te sê. my kinders is amper 3 en so 7 jaar oud. die 3 jarige weet nog van niks nie. en die 7 jarige sien daarna uit. hy wil nog woensdag skool toe gaan.

gelukkig begin die skole eers in Februarie, so dit gee jou tyd om na skole te soek.

mooi bly en voorspoed met die reelings.

Doné

Oh you are funny Mcbear. Thank you, unless another forum member says otherwise, I'll safely assume pillows and duvets pose no threat. smile.gif Apologies, but not a clue in relation to 'seriously nice toy', how did you forget that one??? I must say things did sound a little rushed last we 'spoke' as it were. Perhaps they'll allow you to pay for fumigationunsure.gif. I wonder, in the event you did have goodies that you knew were possible risks, could one arrange with customs in advance, and request to fumigate and foot the bill for. Would this be legit do you think? Mmmhhh questions, questionswhistling.gifFab eve

At the risk of getting into trouble again - I was told feathers in pillows and duvets were okay, I hope my information is right.

Anyone know, my daughters doll's house is wood, from Germany, not varnished/painted. Seriously nice toy. Will they want to destroy?

If they have an issue with an item you can have the option to fumigate or destroy. Feathers in duvet and pillows are OK - I took a down sleeping bag and had absolutely no problems.

Wooden toy - probably no problem - they are most concerned about raw wood e.g. a tree stump type carving or item with bark still on as that is in a natural state and then more likely to be a host for pests - where the wood has already been worked and processed they are less stressed.

Often just the luck of the draw - if you get someone who is starting out they panic and think everything is dodgy - after a while they get a better idea of what is likely to be dodgy and what is unlikely to cause any trouble. My friend's brother bought masses of those wooden sculptures when he was visiting South Africa, declared them but had no problem

Archived