The Packing Up Process - How To

Claudia haycocks

Hi all, yip some more of my questions. This one is more in relation to the actual packing and how it's done. I know some of these questions may seem mundane, however I'm needing to have it all sorted in my mind, to both maximize efficiency and too ensure I've done everything I can correctly. From a lot of what I've read, initially for Insurance and Customs purposes, and then a somewhat simplified version, lists of what is in each box is advisable, for the packing company. Please note, I'm not talking about trying to get things through that would be considered a concern, I'm talking more broadly in relation to having lists ready for the people concerned, that does not necessarily itemize every teaspoon, knife and fork? A box labelled kitchen cutlery would suffice? Would this be correct? Assuming the day has arrived and your house is now filled with people ready to start your packing, please explain how you're monitoring what goes into each box, in different rooms of your house, and how lists would then be made itemizing all your worldly possessions, oh and boxes marked in some way so in the event customs would like to check, one would know precisely which box they would be looking for? How is one able to keep track of all that is happening? Clearly I've not done this before...so please could someone share, how this is done or best planned for? Are lists of what is in each room drawn up initially? Is one able to manage the packers as it were, requesting packers to begin in certain rooms first......is one allowed to do that? And then the transferring of boxes into the container, is there an order that would be more logical? If you'd been given a quote per cubic meter and have been told all will fit, should there be any concern in relation to anything that may not fit? I've been given 1 quote so far and am waiting on the other. Whilst the first quote was being done, most larger things were measured, the second company didn't. My first quote is horrendous, bearing in mind we're in Swaziland, quote one for 20ft container was R 86 950.00, 40ft container R 124 950.00.....we only have two companies here who offer this service. I'm hoping quote 2 is a little kinder, that said will all fit??

I'm just feeling so unsure of how to logistically organize this and am feeling a little overwhelmed at all that's needing doing.blink.gif

Another question is more hypothetical. In the event your container was impounded and then subsequently inspected, if there were items that Customs considered a concern and one was given the option to fumigate, would one be charged per item, or would all the items be simultaneously fumigated and you would then be given a bill that required immediate payment before your container was released? Any advice, experiences or suggestions to share would be enormously appreciated....thanking you all in advance.unsure.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those finer details of yours are deffers making sure you cross all the T's and dot all the I's. :ilikeit:

Might pay to start packing some boxes yourself. I can guarantee (spelling!) that when you sort the stuff yourself you will see what really needs to come along and what stuff could have gone into FILE 13.

When we moved from London that is exactly what we did and wrote a master list of what was in the boxes. We packed bit by bit as in a few boxes over the weeks and you really see what you need and what you dont.

The heavier stuff I would leave for the removal guys obviously but that which can fit in a box would be best. Maybe its just me but I have trust issues with others packing my possesions. It might even reduce the bill if you do it like that as I am sure they charge per hour to pack.

I cant assist with the details of customs as we had no problems.

Hey Vaughanroe, mmhhh trying very hard to make sure all is accounted for, can't cope with any melt down's at this stage, it's only the beginningblush.gif. Thanks for the advice in relation to your packing experiences, am very grateful for all the suggestions. I must admit, I do prefer the idea of actually starting the packing process myself, I was however warned off that idea, perhaps misguided I'm not sure at this stage. It was explained to me that in the event I did some of my own packing, I would not be able to insure it via the company concerned as they were not prepared to accept liability in the event of any problems / breakages etc with cargo shipped. Am beginning to think I should just get hold company myself and just query what I could or could not do in advance. Considering what would have to be paid out to get our treasure trove hauled half way across the world, we'd really not be in the position to pick up a load of unexpected costs. Will definitely get on with a master list in the mean time though. Do you recall whether you itemized absolutely everything, or did you generalize a bit? Thank you so much again for all your help, take care smile.gif

Those finer details of yours are deffers making sure you cross all the T's and dot all the I's. :ilikeit:

Might pay to start packing some boxes yourself. I can guarantee (spelling!) that when you sort the stuff yourself you will see what really needs to come along and what stuff could have gone into FILE 13.

When we moved from London that is exactly what we did and wrote a master list of what was in the boxes. We packed bit by bit as in a few boxes over the weeks and you really see what you need and what you dont.

The heavier stuff I would leave for the removal guys obviously but that which can fit in a box would be best. Maybe its just me but I have trust issues with others packing my possesions. It might even reduce the bill if you do it like that as I am sure they charge per hour to pack.

I cant assist with the details of customs as we had no problems.

Yes Claudia you are right - you are not allowed to pack yourself. And unfortunately it's total chaos when they come because there are loads of people all over your house - very difficult to keep control of it. Just make sure you have removed all the things you need to take with you on the plane - we put it in our neighbour's house where we were staying. And don't leave a tupperware container with viennas on the counter - they will pack it in and it won't smell nice when it arrives on the other side six weeks later :blush:

With regards to lists - each packer writes what is on the box once he's packed it, it's also numbered and labelled according to the room it comes from. Then the head packer writes it on his list - you sign this list once they've packed and get a similar list on the other side to check as your stuff is brought into your new house.

So you can try and take photos of stuff before the time etc. (we didn't as there is just too much stuff and for both moves UK and Oz we didn't have enough time).

You just have to let go. We had issues with both our moves (some missing and broken items) at the other end and it's just one of those things, many people have no problems.

With quarantine inspection - don't worry too much. Our stuff got through no problem. They went through the packers list before the inspection and for instance asked us what was in the box marked 'bags' that we listed - we said either nothing or bedding - not sure if they checked it. The boxes didn't seem to have been opened but the stuff was unloaded, checked and repacked in a different container.

It really is impossible for them to check everything so if something slips through they probably won't even notice it. Just make sure your large items like bikes, lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners and also shoes are clean.

Be careful when the quote you as in the UK Crown said our stuff would fit into a 20 ft container and it didn't and we had to pay a lot of money for the overflow. This is quite tricky and I can't really give any advise as the removal companies seem to want to catch you out this way.

Good luck - the process isn't easy but luckily we tend to forget quickly. Which is why we were mad enough to attempt two global moves in 5 years...

Bwahahahahaha, Sibella, that's just so funny, your face must have been a picture...hehehe and here I am, worrying about customs whilst your vienna is just about ready to step out of your dish !!!biggrin.gif Mmhhh, thanks for confirming my suspicions in relation to the packing story. Am so not, liking your experiences, that said, thank you for sharing, it gives me a good idea of what to expect, I can cope with the expected, it's the unexpected's I find a soooo much harder.sad.gif Think I may just invite a hoard of friends over....hehehhehe one for each room, armed with clipboards & pens - see... under wraps already!!!

Thanks for the advice in relation to plane goodies, must admit hadn't given it a thought and needless to say possibly the MOST important of things, just could not afford for them to grow legs whilst unattended ....check.....added to the "On the day - To do list".

So pleased to hear the packers write up their own lists - this sounding a little more organized than anticipated. Are these lists done in duplicate so I can be left with a copy? Either that, or I invest in sheets of carbon paper beforehand. Photo's are a grand idea too...... check. Would you know - is the actual container packed randomly or in a more ordered fashion - room by room? When you receive your list in your new home, how are you checking everything has arrived, whilst unpacking, or does one have a few days in the event of any queries?

In relation to the quote, thanks again for the advice....I think I recall having read somewhere, a suggestion to have all the 'have to go's in one area' and so, if anything had to be left out, it was stuff that wasn't essential, but nice to have. You mentioned you had an overflow, in the event that did happen, what then is the procedure and how much more expensive is that? Would it still arrive at the same time your filled container did? Mmmmhhhh am obviously seriously hoping this wouldn't happen, that said, if it did I'd like to know what my options were.

Sibella, thank you so very much again for sharing, this is exactly the type of information I'm looking for, oh and of course for reminding me that although hard, it will be behind me soon enough thumbup.gif P.S. yip 2 global moves in 5 years, pure unadulterated madness....well wishes for a fab week Sibellatongue.gif

Yes Claudia you are right - you are not allowed to pack yourself. And unfortunately it's total chaos when they come because there are loads of people all over your house - very difficult to keep control of it. Just make sure you have removed all the things you need to take with you on the plane - we put it in our neighbour's house where we were staying. And don't leave a tupperware container with viennas on the counter - they will pack it in and it won't smell nice when it arrives on the other side six weeks later :blush:

With regards to lists - each packer writes what is on the box once he's packed it, it's also numbered and labelled according to the room it comes from. Then the head packer writes it on his list - you sign this list once they've packed and get a similar list on the other side to check as your stuff is brought into your new house.

So you can try and take photos of stuff before the time etc. (we didn't as there is just too much stuff and for both moves UK and Oz we didn't have enough time).

You just have to let go. We had issues with both our moves (some missing and broken items) at the other end and it's just one of those things, many people have no problems.

With quarantine inspection - don't worry too much. Our stuff got through no problem. They went through the packers list before the inspection and for instance asked us what was in the box marked 'bags' that we listed - we said either nothing or bedding - not sure if they checked it. The boxes didn't seem to have been opened but the stuff was unloaded, checked and repacked in a different container.

It really is impossible for them to check everything so if something slips through they probably won't even notice it. Just make sure your large items like bikes, lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners and also shoes are clean.

Be careful when the quote you as in the UK Crown said our stuff would fit into a 20 ft container and it didn't and we had to pay a lot of money for the overflow. This is quite tricky and I can't really give any advise as the removal companies seem to want to catch you out this way.

Good luck - the process isn't easy but luckily we tend to forget quickly. Which is why we were mad enough to attempt two global moves in 5 years...

Hi Claudia,

I can't really give you any advice as we are in the same boat (ha ha, pls excuse the pun)

as you! I have four quotes for 20-ft containers, and they range between R48 and R58K, excl insurance.

We are planning on packing up in Dec, we fly out mid-Jan to Sydney.

I know it all feels so overwhelming!

So, good luck to you!

Chocolate

PS I didn't really help, did I?!

Hey Chocolate, hehehehehehe, another of those funny gals!!!laugh.gif My hat some magic people on this site.magic.gif It's been inspiring reading about others experiences too, the good with the bad, not to mention the funny......my reading has certainly been interspersed with many a giggle - read one earlier today about a guy who told customs he was on an LSD trip, I was roaring with laughter, shame poor guy, talk about nice little pickle he got himself into......could have been me though, just not thinking, which clearly made it all the funnier to me. Of course you've been of help Chocolate, perhaps not quite in the way I was thinking, but really, it's comforting to know there are others, who experience the same concerns, fears and uncertainty, it doesn't seem like such a lonely road anymore. It is overwhelming, but once the decision has been made, there really is no stopping and going back. I find when the lows hit,, remembering all the reasons that have led to this decision, trying to remain objective, we realise the pro's far outweigh the cons. That is not to say we believe the grass is necessarily greener on the other side, I have no doubt many challenges lie ahead, but the future feels safer. Our timings will be very similar, a shame the destinations aren't, none the less so many well wishes to you too. Many thoughts your way.......fab evesmile.gif

Hi Claudia,

I can't really give you any advice as we are in the same boat (ha ha, pls excuse the pun)

as you! I have four quotes for 20-ft containers, and they range between R48 and R58K, excl insurance.

We are planning on packing up in Dec, we fly out mid-Jan to Sydney.

I know it all feels so overwhelming!

So, good luck to you!

Chocolate

PS I didn't really help, did I?!

Righto, I am inclined to be a control freak, and having done this a few times, wanted to make life easier on myself, once I arrived on the "other side".

I did not care about the insurance, I knew that if hubby and I packed our boxes, there would be none or extremely few breakages. So we set about doing just that. Our movers, Magna at that time, advised us to use boxes of varying sizes, easier to pack the container and to ensure that very heavy stuff is in smaller boxes, we followed their advice. Hubby would make up the boxes, refer to my spreadsheet for the next number, write it on all four sides of the box in the top right hand corner, then pass it on for packing. Whoever was packing had a notepad with them, at the top went the box number, followed by every item that went into the box. So...if the item was at the top of the box's listing then it meant it was in the bottom of the box...very easy. Everything that had to go into boxes was packed this way. None of our boxes were insured for breakages, just for total loss.

For my kitchen, I set aside a little bit of everything that I would need to run a kitchen for a limited period...rental for a period... I then took these items, packed them together in a box and hubby made a huge red X on all four sides of the box. I did the same for linen and towels. When we arrived on the other side, the other boxes were stacked, in number order, but the boxes with the red X's were immediately unpacked...we could live...day to day...as we did not immediately need any of the other stuff in the other boxes.

At the end of each day I would go to my computer and type the lists made for that day's packing into a spreadsheet. At the end of the packing I took the spreadsheet with me on disc and when we arrived at our new home, put the disc into our new computer and "hey presto" I did not have to search my guts out for stuff, I could just do a search on the spreadsheet and it would tell me exactly which box I would find the item in, even if it was in the top or bottom of that box.

We have done the exact same thing for all three moves that we have made internationally, and it has worked wonderfully for us each time. It also gave me the opportunity to sort and get rid of stuff slowly as I packed.

With regard to insurance, the first time we took insurance for loss of a box and loss and damage to furniture. We only had damage to a leg on our dining room table, and this ended up being impossible to claim for, as they wanted to charge us $150 just to come out to give a quote, and we needed three. So hubby fixed it himself. The last two times we only insured for total loss of the container, which fortunately did not happen.

The first time we moved from Johannesburg to Auckland, the second time from Auckland to Brisbane, the last time from Brisbane to Melbourne.

Not suggesting you go this way, just sharing my experiences.

Mikimont to add to that, I know that the first time it was a total of 146 boxes!

Hey Mara thank you so very much again, all this information is precisely what I was needing to hear. It's been great hearing about others experiences, all which allow me to prepare myself in the best way I can, to deal with the inevitable. All these suggestions are so welcome and appreciated, that said, clearly whilst some will work beautifully, others not necessarily. I would still however like to check, that in the event one did their own packing, or part of it anyway, it would still be possible to go ahead and ensure for total losses. Logically one would think so, as one would not be claiming for damage or breakages in relation to specific items, only in the event the entire container sank etc. Ok, spread sheets, have to admit, not worked with them very much, why did you do a spread sheet as apposed to doing a simple listblush.gif....one better would you either have an example of your outlay, or would you be able to describe how you then transferred all your info into this format. Mara great hearing from you again, and many thank you's your way, take care smile.gif

Righto, I am inclined to be a control freak, and having done this a few times, wanted to make life easier on myself, once I arrived on the "other side".

I did not care about the insurance, I knew that if hubby and I packed our boxes, there would be none or extremely few breakages. So we set about doing just that. Our movers, Magna at that time, advised us to use boxes of varying sizes, easier to pack the container and to ensure that very heavy stuff is in smaller boxes, we followed their advice. Hubby would make up the boxes, refer to my spreadsheet for the next number, write it on all four sides of the box in the top right hand corner, then pass it on for packing. Whoever was packing had a notepad with them, at the top went the box number, followed by every item that went into the box. So...if the item was at the top of the box's listing then it meant it was in the bottom of the box...very easy. Everything that had to go into boxes was packed this way. None of our boxes were insured for breakages, just for total loss.

For my kitchen, I set aside a little bit of everything that I would need to run a kitchen for a limited period...rental for a period... I then took these items, packed them together in a box and hubby made a huge red X on all four sides of the box. I did the same for linen and towels. When we arrived on the other side, the other boxes were stacked, in number order, but the boxes with the red X's were immediately unpacked...we could live...day to day...as we did not immediately need any of the other stuff in the other boxes.

At the end of each day I would go to my computer and type the lists made for that day's packing into a spreadsheet. At the end of the packing I took the spreadsheet with me on disc and when we arrived at our new home, put the disc into our new computer and "hey presto" I did not have to search my guts out for stuff, I could just do a search on the spreadsheet and it would tell me exactly which box I would find the item in, even if it was in the top or bottom of that box.

We have done the exact same thing for all three moves that we have made internationally, and it has worked wonderfully for us each time. It also gave me the opportunity to sort and get rid of stuff slowly as I packed.

With regard to insurance, the first time we took insurance for loss of a box and loss and damage to furniture. We only had damage to a leg on our dining room table, and this ended up being impossible to claim for, as they wanted to charge us $150 just to come out to give a quote, and we needed three. So hubby fixed it himself. The last two times we only insured for total loss of the container, which fortunately did not happen.

The first time we moved from Johannesburg to Auckland, the second time from Auckland to Brisbane, the last time from Brisbane to Melbourne.

Not suggesting you go this way, just sharing my experiences.

Hehehehe, too funny, so was it the science mine's turning out to be?? whistling.gif grand eve Mikimontrolleyes.gif

And we complained about packing 13 boxes for seven seas ? sheesh :)

Hi Claudia,

I can update you on what is happening right now at our house. Crown removals came this morning from Johannesburg. they've arrived at 8:00. there were 4 men. they've started in the craft room and in the play room. two men work with my husband. and two men with me. each room is "colour coded" and each box gets the specific colour sticker. (apparently they give you a colour coded door hanger at the new house and you hang it on the applicable door and they know which box belongs to which room). at the end of day 1 (today) they've packed the craft room, play room, mostly of the kitchen (we took out plates, etc for the next few days), the laundry room, entrance and the lounge. tomorrow they will start with the bedrooms and the outside buildings. we've all decided on a place in the house where we put the stuff that must not be packed, like candles, wooden things, etc.

Also on each box is a sticker with the box no, our name, the contract no and destination and then they write what is in the box. on the list, they write the box no and the content. The list is written in triplicate. we will receive one copy, one with the company and one with customs.

the children received a little "truck" box to pack their special things in. apparently they will load their own boxes just before the close the container and they get their boxes first on the other side. I thought that was cute.

The container will arrive on Thursday and they will pack everything in it. we will lock the container with them.

I think the most difficult part for me is remember to pack for 2 months. Especially for the children: enough toys and books.

I hope this helps you.

Oooooh Dona, brilliant, and in the thick of things you still find the time to help out, thank you, thank you, thank you. Gosh so many kind people out there. Take my hat off to you though, not sure I'd be up to any updates with half my home packed up, more like needing to drown my sorrows me thinks tongue.gif. Any how, your update has so eased my mind, things are certainly beginning to sound more and more orderly in a very disorderly fashion, so to speak. I can only hope, our packers are as efficient as yours sound. Just got our quote back from our other alternative today, and certainly kinder, no where near as dear as the first thankfully. All the packing done so quickly, how are you feeling? I have to agree, the 'truck boxes' for the kiddies sound super cute, not to mention pretty considerate thumbup.gif. Got to say the 2 / 3 mnths wait before the containers arrive with all the kiddies goodies, does seem a little daunting, that said, if there are any essentials, I guess they could probably be bought whistling.gif Dona so many well wishes for you and your family..... where are you headed?

P.S. if still in an updating mood, by the time you reach 'loading the container' stage, would love to hear how that's all done. Good luck again with all smile.gif

we are going to perth. Flying next Wednesday. scared but so exciting.

I will keep you up to date of what is happening.

where are you going????

Hey Dona, that's fantasic, I wish you all the very best of luck, adventure that it is. rolleyes.gif Hubby's mum and sister are Perth based, so may well be stopping off for a couple of days on our way to Gawler (I believe about a 45 min drive from Adelaide). Looking forward to more updates, travel safe .......

Hi Claudia

The reason I used a spreadsheet is so that I could do a search, without having to read through 40 pages of notes! If you end up being interested in doing it this way, it is quite easy, just ask a friend who knows spreadsheeting to explain it to you.

Hey Mara....done, many thanks again for all your suggestions. Take care smile.gif

End of day 2. today they packed the rest of the kitchen. kept out a few plates, cutlery and mags. they've packed the bedrooms. I've packed all the clothes, etc that we need with us in the one cupbooard and put a sign on the cupboard that says: do not pack. they've left the beds and curtains for tomorrow. tomorrow the container will arrive.

I've cleaned all the shoes today. what a job.... :(

thumbup.gif So nearly done Dona, and still sounding pretty organized. Hehehehe, if it's any consolation, clearly shoes are still on my 'to do list'!!! So many well wishes, good luck with the final haul, both literally and figuratively, tomorrow. Thank you so much again for all the updates smile.gif

Were wondering about a few items... Although I have checked the Quarantine website re items not allowed, I still need to clarify some items.

We are shipping boxes over with Seven Seas and when I spoke to them, they said that wooden picture frames and wooden candlesticks are in order, but when checking Quarantine it says that it is not allowed? What about small paintings that have been done on a canvas? Pictures that have been framed? Obviously these paintings are very sentimental, but I do not want to pack things that I am not allowed to...?!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Karen

x

We took all our wooden items with no problems - sleeper dining room furniture, coffee table, shelves, pictures, frames. It's just if the wood is totally untreated raw wood that it is a problem.

Were wondering about a few items... Although I have checked the Quarantine website re items not allowed, I still need to clarify some items.

We are shipping boxes over with Seven Seas and when I spoke to them, they said that wooden picture frames and wooden candlesticks are in order, but when checking Quarantine it says that it is not allowed? What about small paintings that have been done on a canvas? Pictures that have been framed? Obviously these paintings are very sentimental, but I do not want to pack things that I am not allowed to...?!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Karen

x

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Karen

x

Hi

A suggestion I got was to staple brown paper onto the back of canvas frames to hide the untreated wood. Then it'll get through. No bare wood, if it is treated (painted/varnished) you should be fine.

Also scrapbooking stuff, be careful of things like feathers etc!!

It's a minefield!

Regards

Jacquie

A suggestion I got was to staple brown paper onto the back of canvas frames to hide the untreated wood.

I don't know if you did this or not but I absolutely hate this attitude. Personally I don't understand why people will put Australia's flora and fauna at risk. As an Australian citizen I'd prefer people who are prepared to do it not to come to Australia.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Karen

x

Treated wood is fine. Untreated wood carries the risk of borer or other nasties in it. They have the potential to destroy Australia's unique fauna.

Archived