ACS assessments

Dedrei

Hi,

Is it true that a person in the I.T industry must have 5 years experience in his field in order to qualify for a working visa? (or whatever visa one can obtain- not the sponsorship visa though)

Thanx

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cramer

• JacquesV

• Stranded

• PieterK

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone with a non-IT degree should seek professional assistance in determining whether or not an RPL is necessary.

I've seen enough cases where people tried to "run the gauntlet" by avoiding the RPL with a non-IT degree. Some do end up having to do the RPL after a negative assessment.

As I don't read Afrikaans, I don't know what the original message is about. However, I do see through dozens of RPL cases a year, and would be happy to help the original posters if need be.

Peter

Hi Peter

I am not new on the forum but new to the ACS assessment thing. So here goes

I am a SAS developer, programmer since 2003. I have done a number of courses on SAS. Been working in the financial banking industry since 2003 developing SAS risk model and reporting. What is the verdict should I do and assessmen?

Hi Peter

I am not new on the forum but new to the ACS assessment thing. So here goes

I am a SAS developer, programmer since 2003. I have done a number of courses on SAS. Been working in the financial banking industry since 2003 developing SAS risk model and reporting. What is the verdict should I do and assessmen?

If you want me to assess your eligibility, please go to http://www.ptlabs.com.au/assessment.html

Thanks.

Regards

Peter

I dunno about the 5 years hey...The first time I came to Aus, was in 1998, and I had only 2 years experience, and got a job sponsor through IBM...Oh and with the ACS assessment, PS. I might, or might not just have made stuff up if I thought it would help me...

I dunno about the 5 years hey...The first time I came to Aus, was in 1998, and I had only 2 years experience, and got a job sponsor through IBM...Oh and with the ACS assessment, PS. I might, or might not just have made stuff up if I thought it would help me...

Things have definitely changed a few times over since 1998 :whome:

Regards

Peter

• 5 months later...

Hi all, I am planning to submit a skills assessment to ACS soon and although I have spent much time on the ACS & Immi websites as well as on this forum, I have a question I'd appreciate opinions on.

I am not sure whether I need to apply on an RPL or whether I can just submit an ordinary skills assesment application to ACS.

My situation is as follows:

I have MCSE's for NT4.0, 2000 and 2003 and also have an MSP for Messaging (Exchange) and some other tech courses.

I have 8 years of professional IT experience and have recently completed a postgrad year at UCT as a prelim to BCom honours in IS (honours still to be completed this year).

Has anyone recently been in similar situation or can advise their opinion?

Hi Travlr,

According to my knowledge : If you have a degree or diploma you can apply for normal skills assessment but otherwise you will need to apply for RPL.

My husband had his MCSE and 16 years experience and had to go the RPL route just because he did not have a degree or diploma.

Hope this helps.

Nats

Hi Travlr,

According to my knowledge : If you have a degree or diploma you can apply for normal skills assessment but otherwise you will need to apply for RPL.

My husband had his MCSE and 16 years experience and had to go the RPL route just because he did not have a degree or diploma.

Hope this helps.

Nats

Thanks Nats, yes it does - I was hoping to avoid the RPL but it doesn't seem like I can.

Appreciate your response!

Only a pleasure.

RPL is tougher but not impossible!!!!

I am just wondering if anyone has gone for the Computer Professional - network / internet security. ACS does not really state what they consider to be network secuity and from my point of view this would encompass all areas of security from password control to firewalls.

Anyone have a clue?

I am just wondering if anyone has gone for the Computer Professional - network / internet security. ACS does not really state what they consider to be network secuity and from my point of view this would encompass all areas of security from password control to firewalls.

Anyone have a clue?

Password control probably wouldn't cut it if not supported by other technical security tasks.

I've helped quite a few clients get network security MODL, and the experience I've seen to get that MODL is quite varied indeed.

Regards

Peter

I was just wondering if anyone has had the experience where they applied for an ACS skills assessment being unable to supply a letter of reference from their current employer and they attached a statutory declaration stating their duties, tasks, responsibilities etc instead??

Comments would be welcome here as I am aware that some people have received successful skills assessments from assessing bodies where statutory decl's were given instead of employer letters of reference but what is ACS like on this matter?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I need a bit of advice in regards to the proof of employment… I used to work for a company as a BA, but the HR department accidentally switched my details with the Data Analyst (we joined on the same day)… While I was employed there, I constantly requested that they fix it to no avail, now they will not release a document stating anything other that a Data Analyst… Any ideas?

Hi

I need a bit of advice in regards to the proof of employment… I used to work for a company as a BA, but the HR department accidentally switched my details with the Data Analyst (we joined on the same day)… While I was employed there, I constantly requested that they fix it to no avail, now they will not release a document stating anything other that a Data Analyst… Any ideas?

Would they be willing to give you a separate later stating the fact that they had accidentally switched your details and that you were in fact employed as a Business Analyst?

What's their problem, anyway? Why do they refuse to rectify a mistake that is obviously theirs?

• 1 month later...

Something I haven't seen asked here... Is it possible to get in on a 457 Visa (with a possible job offer) without being certified by the ACS?

Regards!

J.

As far as I'm aware, a 457 visa does not require a skills assessment; that is only required for a PR visa, such as the 175 or 176.

Hi there,

Yes you do not need skills assessment but it sure does make things easier. You could get confirmation from an agent. I woudl suggest email one that is ont he forum.

Initially our agent did not ask for it but then said that if I do have my skills assessed already that it would just make the process so much easier - which it did !

Good luck!

:ilikeit:

Just received this e-mail.

"Certified copy of proper and detailed employer references from all employers. None of the references provided meet our requirements nor do they properly demonstrate ICT Professional experience.

Employer References

These should be on company letterhead and include the job title, a detailed job description and precise dates of employment. They should also clearly state whether employment was full or part-time along with demonstrated levels of competence with any computer languages, the various types of hardware and software used and the extent of involvement with any major projects. Letters of appointment or contracts are not accepted. "

I've been contracting for the best part of my career, WTF must I do if I don't have a permanent employer? I have sent in letters of reference for my employment at the last 2 agencies I worked with for the last 4 years.

"If after 35 days (if you live in Australia) or 49 days (if you live overseas) from the date of this letter, the requested documentation is not received the Australian Computer Society will forward your file to an Assessor , whereupon a result will be issued on the documentation held.

PLEASE NOTE THAT FURTHER REQUESTS WILL NOT BE MADE FOR ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION."

I would suggest that you get hold of a migration agent, pronto! The last thing you want is to jeopardize your chances of getting a visa because of a failed ACS assessment.

I'm so not going to have some aussie TWAT in Sydney piss on my batteries.

If there is one thing I don't like is having my integrity questioned.

God forbid, but I will then go to OZ, get a job on a 457 and stay there and then personally go and give him the middle finger.

My qualification for my profession just so happens to be from the exact same institution where any aussie will get theirs from too, but do they need to get their skills assessed - Oh no! And my membership number at this institution just so happens to be visible to anyone anywhere in the world with access to it.

I'm also going to throw every single document/letter/contract I have for the last 8 years at them and kindly ask them to explain to me how else I need to proof my competence?

UUrrgghhhhhhhhhhhh *kners tande*

PS

I feel better now :ilikeit:

Hi all

Have just been trawling the iimi.gov site AGAIN - and I can't seem to find any refernce to RPL that people were talking about on this thread previously.

Can someone tell me what RPL application is, as opposed to a regular skills assessment for IT?

Thanks,

Leigh

Hi all

Have just been trawling the iimi.gov site AGAIN - and I can't seem to find any refernce to RPL that people were talking about on this thread previously.

Can someone tell me what RPL application is, as opposed to a regular skills assessment for IT?

Thanks,

Leigh

Hi Leigh

I stand to be corrected, but as I have it the RPL (Recognition of prior learning) only needs to be done if you do not have a formal qualification (Degree or National diploma) in IT.

If you have a degree or national diploma you obviously have to include it, togther with a detailed work history and experience document in your application.

With the RPL, as far as I can gather, you have to write a book :whome: , on you work history, courses, experience etc and which areas of IT you have worked in, etc.

Hope this helps

Lynette

Edit: Sorry! I got held up and didn't notice that you already received a reply! I'll leave this here, for what it's worth. :whome:

Hi Leigh,

The RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) route is the one to follow when there is no relevant formal qualification. In short, for the ACS, this means it's the route to follow when there is no Computer Science / Information Technology degree or diploma.

I rather fortunately decided to supplement my various certifications (Microsoft MCSD, MCSE, etc) with a computer science degree some years back, so I didn't have to go the RPL route, but I did look into it a little, as I was curious. The RPL route requires more effort from the applicant, in that more documentation must be provided, more references, etc. Also, I have read that they disregard two years of the appllicant's work experience to make up for the lack of a formal qualification.

This site seemed pretty informative, if you want to know more: http://www.rplhelp.co.uk.

The ACS is not that tough a body, I don't believe, as far as skills assessments go. I didn't spend that much time on mine and actually thought it a little light, but they gave me a positive assessment with an extra 15 points for MODL recognition for C/C++/C#. A lot of people are put off by the RPL route, thinking it too much effort and/or that the chance of success is slim. From what I have read, if you tackle it with dedication, it is every bit as certain as the regular route.

All the best,

Mark

Edited by Tobold