Journey Downunder

Serendipity

OK so here we are, the bags are packed and we are now just waiting out the last couple of hours at the folks place - its not easy I can tell you.

:holy:

I can confidently say that out of this entire process the goodbyes are the worst. There are emotions flying around inside me that i never knew i had, its like an explosion

has gone off and i was never warned, no amount a preparation for the final day will help. All i can say is make sure everyone who means the world to you knows it.

We are strangely enough on top of all this still very excited for what lays ahead. Having never been to Oz and taking a serious leap of faith i still know in my heart of hearts

that despite not doing an LSD we have not made the wrong decision. Life will work for us and even if we get to the point that we feel we are really down, we will make this work.

ITS SERENDIPITY

Thanks again to everyone on the forum who has played a role in our immigration, look forward to meeting some of you in a couple of days and will keep you all posted on our journey.

For now I'm outta here and off to spend some precious last moments with my Mom and Dad before heading out.

My next post will be from downunder <_<

S

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy EVERY MOMENT, we're looking forward to the "we're here !!" - post !

All the best.....think of them not as goodbyes but rather "until we see you!"

Be thinking of you as your soar your way down under!

See you on the down under side, where things are the right way.

got goosies reading your post, you will be flying high in the air now, hope the journey is going well.

Hope the trip went well and wishing you all the best :ilikeit:

Waiting for your feedback :ilikeit: and

Enjoy

They have arrived safely, a bit jet lagged and tired, but safe and sound!

good to hear, thanks Mara.

G'Day all - we are officially in Melbourne :ilikeit:

The final goodbyes were as expected full of sobbing, hugs and special moments. I am proud to say i am a compete wet blanket because as the plane took off i had tears running down my cheaks and completely lost it - this was the first time i doubled guessed what we were actually doing.

It was a long 13 hour flight but VAustralia in general was A-OK. Mara met us at the airport, which was a fantastic way to be welcomed to Australia, Thank you Mara, we had a quick meal and more or less tried to get some sleep straight away however when we got back to the hotel room my 9 year old daughter burst into tears and said she wanted to go home, this broke my heart (the 2nd time i wondered if we had done the right thing). All was sorted though with some soft talking and plenty of cuddles.

We have been awake sone 3am this morning and the girls had a swim at 6 (heated pool) Heading into Melbourne today to do the banking etc and really looking forward to meeting our hosts for the next few days. The ex-South Africans here are so full of love, warmth and giving when you are new arrivals, i hope to help out new arrivals in the future also with the same hopitality that we have been receiving.

Right now i am feeling pretty fuzzed and out of my depths but we will conquer the ozzie soil and make this home asap.

For now i am outta here, in desperate need of a strong coffee and some matchsticks to keep my eyes open till at least 8pm tonight . . . gonna be a loooooooong day!

Welcome to Australia Serendipity!

I am so glad you have finally arrived and certain that you will thrive and prosper here.

All the best

Andrea

Welcome Serendipity, glad you made it. Just to let you know you are not alone....I am not known as a softy but, on the plane after all the planning and all the arranging and all the doing and goodbyes I was minding my own business watching that animated movie called WALL-e, and the next moment I started to cry and could not stop, made quite a scene. My poor husband didnt know what was going on, he thought it was the movie. So now Im known among our friends as the one that cried all the way thru WALL-e. Yes it was a sweet little movie but, it was actually just the thing that made the huge dam inside me break. Actually, I was fine after that, sometimes that tension just needs to come out. And sometimes it will be in public. :ilikeit:

Strengths to you and your family. I have now been here a month and still have my breakdowns...had one in the Supermarket the other day cause I couldn't find tomato paste!

It is extremely difficult and you will miss home a lot, but you will also love every minute.

Don't be intimidated by the City, keep in mind that the suburbs are not like that at all and there are proper malls out there as well!

The suburbs here are rather quaint (sp?), but actually rather nice! The houses are generally ugly, but you get over that...you could end up living in a house you would never have dreamt of living in in SA, but you come around!

Melbourne is divine, it really is!

Welcome to Australia Serendipity, fantastic to have you here at last!

xxxx

Tracey

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME :ilikeit::ilikeit:

ag shame man Serendipity, I remember those feelings so well. Half excitement of being in a foriegn country, and half feelings of "I wanna go home".

Good to have you here in Aus with us.

Good luck and enjoy your journey. Cant wait till the 7 May when we fly to Oz for good.

I like your positive attitude, that will carry you well.

G'day Mates, welcome to the first day of the rest of your lives :-)

The future is now possiblilities waiting to happen :-)

So we been here since Wednesday and i can honestly say - WE LOVE THIS PLACE :)

Our girls have already become "street children" and we cant get them off the roads, its all new for them to be able to ride bikes outside on the actual tar and not behind the gates at our complex, where we used to stay.

WE ONLY HAVE ONE ISSUE - don't like the Coles trolleys, they are metal crabs - only thing missing are the pincers.

These things are lethal to the arm muscles and ankles BUT there is hope and we have found out how to really use them . . . push it by the sides and don't use the handles provided. OK so ppl look at you funny but hey we are newbies and don't care, I mean what are the chances of running into someone we actually know :o

Seen a car online that we like so will go have a look at it asap and decide. Also going to grab some electronics from The Good Guys while nearer the city before heading out to Gippsland - not really willing to pay delivery charges so really hoping we can do the car thing first but who knows.

Anyhoo tomorrow we heading in Melbourne CBD but this time not to do banking and registration for medicare but to be tourists, our girls cant wait to head out on the train and investigate what's out there. . . neither can we. Yes we are excited little children. hahaha

I admit we are still in the "honeymoon" stage of our move so generally feeling fine, will deal with what's coming when it arrives. I have already had one moment with the friends we are staying with and its because they totally understand what immigration involves both emotionally and mentally, as they have been there.

Thanks to everyone for your wishes - OZ ROCKS :blink:

Archived