Journey Downunder

Serendipity

Hey S... Great to see you guys as always - the visit was just WAYYYYY too short.

Congrats on the job my friend - we knew you would ace it. Are you going to take it??

So sorry to hear about your friend - let us know how he goes.

Oh and as far as biltong goes, you can collect some from us when you visit next - we want to make some over the weekend. B)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautifull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya everybody, hope your all keeping extra warm.

Been a while since i last posted on this thread but decided i now have a seriously valid reason . . . this point being our run in with the traffic cops here. lol

OK so that line sounds worse than what it actually is but lets put it this way, in all the years i have been driving I have never had to take a breath test

During our second week of being in OZ we were pulled over for having no license plates on our little bug - it was not registered yet and we got bust - no fine, just a warning.

Anyhoo since then is pretty much ok but on a quite road, in the middle of nowhere and over a mountain pass we got pulled over again . . . this time we had plates!!

There stood a lonesome copper, freezing his you know whats off and waving a torch at us like a mad man, i really believe he got so excited to see us because we must of been the only idiots, besides him, on that road at 9pm!

Anyway this was my husbands chance to blow - PASS! Shew but can you imagine if it wasn't, then again i imagine the same. Middle of nowhere, being arrested and locked up . . . but where . . . in a tree stump :) It didn't happen and all was ok, we bid our farewells and continued on our lonesome journey, leaving him, still freezing his butt off and no doubt begging for another idiot on the road - actually come to think of it i recon he packed up and left after us.

So all being good for the next few days UNTIL SUNDAY MORNING!!

On our way out this time, in another direction and there is a road block - 11am and they are stopping cars and making everyone blow - this was my first ever breath test, copper was polite and oh so friendly. Got quite excited to be involved in his mission but i almost died waiting for the beep to go off (yes i am a smoker!) At this point i thought they either gonna arrest me for drinking to much orange juice (i dont drink) or they going to cart me off in an ambo for passing out. Needless to say i survived and PASSED - Knew i would, i mean all they did was waste one of their plastic goodies on me, must of cost them 5c, assuming they buy in bulk from china.

Drove away feeling slightly dizzy but otherwise good, still can't believe that i had to blow for the first time and in less than 2 months of being in Australia.

One piece of advice i can pass on is this: DONT EVER DRINK AND DRIVE IN AUSTRALIA you will get bust, possibly not the 1st time but there will be a time where "getting away with it" aint gonna cut it - they are all over and DONT hide in the bushes just waiting to snap a speeding shot, they are out in force and visible.

On another note I can honestly say that ITS ALL GOOD. We are now living in our home not a house anymore and loving it. I have a permanent job and will be hitting the books shortly to get my Australian Real Estates License, very excited about my new prospects and a total change in career.

Our girls are all settled, loving every minute - For those in the process or still thinking about it and who have children, I have come to realize one thing - There is only one reason you will ever need to migrate, and no its not crime etc etc, its your children. The freedom they have is unreal, their personalities change but in such a good way, they become confident and i can honestly say, having seen it with my girls, they love being here. Now this is only on my side, we are living in a rural town in Gippsland, In the cities i am sure it will be different.

We miss family back home terribly but live in the knowledge that oneday they will join us and for now manage through with plenty of skype dates, emails, blogs etc. Technology, for us, will get us past. I could not imagine doing what we have done say 30 years ago when you would have to rely on snail mail. I phone home every couple of weeks, it is not to expensive to do this from here but calling form RSA to OZ can add up besides i would rather bear the cost than have my folks paying. Personal choice but it works for us.

I would like to end this post by saying these words to those who are feeling down and out because of the process

KEEP THE FAITH, STAY POSITIVE AND DREAM IT

During all the days, weeks, months or possibly years of waiting it will suddenly become worth it.

LIVE THE AUSTRALIAN DREAM.

They had a road block close to the Sydney CBD the other day, at 9am! Needless to say, I could answer without hesitation that, No, I had not consumed a alcoholic drink in the last 20mins. Had to then COUNT to ten into a hand held "thing". You only blow when your breath has a alcohol reading. Thats what he told me. I was asking him, all excited, where do I blow? :)

Of course Travis almost ran the poor guy over that did his first breathaliser... I'm surprised he didn't make him blow again just to make sure he wasn't drunk.. :ilikeit:

We've booked a weekend away for the 30th of July in your neck of the woods. Will give you a call and maybe we can get together.

Love to the girls and we're so glad you guys are settled.

SHORT AND SWEET

We finally got to the snow and IT WAS AWESOME! Best part we got to build our snowman :lol:

Here are a few pics and ANOTHER REASON for you to settle in Melbourne :lol:

Here you might have the "four seasons in one day" but oh man is it worth it.

post-13175-1277626060.jpg

post-13175-1277626085.jpg

post-13175-1277626126.jpg

post-13175-1277626156.jpg

post-13175-1277626237.jpg

post-13175-1277626307.jpg

post-13175-1277626340.jpg

post-13175-1277626364.jpg

Lovely ! Thanks for all the nice reading ! At times I wonder if we'll ever get there and posts like these tend to make me feel down and teary. But, all in good time, I guess.

HI S - Holy COW - that looks cold!!! - how far did you go to get to such a lot of snow?

brrrrrr....... I see a house with heating is a prerequisite :ilikeit:

J

Serendipity....sounds like you're settling in nicely. I must say, I'm struggling with this cold, wind and rain in Melbourne, but otherwise all good.

Here you might have the "four seasons in one day" but oh man is it worth it.

Oh yes Melbourne weather in winter is cold and wet brrr. Something I still struggle with as well Craig.

But boy you got to love Victoria - there is SO much to do here. Snow in winter is awesome.

Cannot wait we will be going to Lake Mountain again later this year.

Last time it was the parents who tobogganed more than the kids.

Who hoooooo!

:(

Oh yes Melbourne weather in winter is cold and wet brrr. Something I still struggle with as well Craig.

But boy you got to love Victoria - there is SO much to do here. Snow in winter is awesome.

Cannot wait we will be going to Lake Mountain again later this year.

Last time it was the parents who tobogganed more than the kids.

Who hoooooo!

:(

I battled last year when we landed but this year hasn't been too bad. I think I've been colder in Joburg but the wind chill in Melb is terrible.

Nats, we're going to Baw Baw for the weekend at the end of July and can't wait! My son is insisting on snowboard lessons. :D

hehe :blush:

I battled last year when we landed but this year hasn't been too bad. I think I've been colder in Joburg but the wind chill in Melb is terrible.

Nats, we're going to Baw Baw for the weekend at the end of July and can't wait! My son is insisting on snowboard lessons. :blush:

If I may ask, where are you guys going to be staying and what package have you taken?

We'll be in Melbourne from 1 August and we're itching to go for 2 - 3 days. I've looked at Mt Baw Baw's site and their offers and am wondering if there aren't other offers through tour operators etc that would be more appealing.

If I may ask, where are you guys going to be staying and what package have you taken?

We'll be in Melbourne from 1 August and we're itching to go for 2 - 3 days. I've looked at Mt Baw Baw's site and their offers and am wondering if there aren't other offers through tour operators etc that would be more appealing.

Hey Jacques, i have PM'd you.

HI S - Holy COW - that looks cold!!! - how far did you go to get to such a lot of snow?

brrrrrr....... I see a house with heating is a prerequisite :ilikeit:

J

hahaha its not that cold, you dress so warm you don't really feel it BUT YOU GOTTA HAVE WATERPROOF CLOTHING or your sunk!

We drove about 140k's to get to the heart of Village Central in Baw Baw, going again next weekend :rolleyes:

Remember this is in the mountains, at Baw Baw you pay entry about 8 k's from the main resort, our first snow

was only about 5k's from the car park.

Strange actually because your driving and there is nothing then suddenly you take a bend (there are loads of them)

and BANG THERE IS SNOW :ilikeit:

Jacques, we didn't book accommodation at the resort itself but in Baw Baw town. The difference in price is huge and we would like to see as much of the surrounding countryside as possible so don't mind the drive into the snow.

I'll try to get some info from the tourism office for you when we're there.

Cheers

Mel

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Sorry for not being around or typing here, gotta admit though once your settled into the Australian Life and the initial "party mood" expires it pretty much becomes routine.

All is well otherwise and we love being here :ilikeit:

Our house is now our home and we have made plenty of friends (all aussie), we even have a standing Friday night get together with one family, which is really fantastic and not something we expected to happen in such a short time. We used to have a set Friday get together with some other mates back in RSA and honestly thought that would be a thing of the past but no its not.

We are working hard and the children are loving school, I have taken up some studies and gone into a whole new career path from what i used to do which I think is really good.

We recently attended to the State School Spectacular, held at the Hisense arena in Melbourne, my daughter was involved and it was great to see her in a 10 000 capacity seating arena (i think). The show is for State Victorian school and is a combination of singing and dance. We were in awe with what was put together and to tell the truth I cried when my daughter sang in the the opening Australian National Anthem, it was this moment that we both knew we had done the right thing by coming here - to be honest we have had a few of these moments where we know our choice was a very good one.

We took this time to do the usual tourist thing in Melbourne and did and saw plenty - enough to last us for 6 months. :ilikeit: We did see Sam though, he became an icon after being burnt in the 2009 Victorian bushfires, got a lump in my throat over that one because i remembered seeing him on the news in RSA. He really is amazing to look at knowing his history and suffering.

We also happened to be in Melbourne over the HUGE footy game (part 1) between Collingwood and St Kilda. our hotel was about 1 block away from the the MCG and the noise and roaring was unreal, best part was watching all the confused fans after the game walking past us to their cars. WOW what a match, we watched on the telly but had the sound from the stadium so i guess we were sort of at the game :blink:

I have missed family but must admit that with technology the distance issue has been working well with us - with skype, blogs, email and FB we have managed to keep in touch on a daily basis, we phone home once every couple of weeks for a good natter (cheaper for us to call them than visa versa) that also keeps me sane. Although i admit that i miss the quick stops for coffee on a daily basis but its apart of the journey. Strange to think my folks immigrated to RSA 35+ years ago and here are doing the same thing :unsure:

My family are planning a visit for March 2011 so thats something they are looking forward to and WE CANT WAIT!

Oh gotta tell you all - last week i found a ring, so i brought it home and made a sign for the store where it was picked up saying "ring found = call and describe to claim, with my mobile number" Put the sign up the following day and waited. To be honest i would never of done this before I would of no doubt just kept it but for some reason it didn't feel like the right thing to do so hence the notice. Well i had a call, about a week later, and not from who i was expecting - it was the cops!! I did not know that a person can be charged with "Theft by Finding". So although i had done the right thing they preferred me to hand in to the Police Station. It was a WOW moment for me. I handed it and now at least i don't have to worry about it again. It was just so strange.

To up date you on our Police interactions the tally is now:

Breath tests: x 9

Pull over & License check: x 3 - one of them 3 houses from where we live!!

Some of the locals can not believe we have had so many breath tests - one lady said she had lived here all her life and had only be pulled over once!!

This convinced me that they are out to get us :lol: Oh well lets see if we make it an even 20 by year end. lol

We have come to one decision on the MAYO debate - You can only use Cross and Blackwell Mayo. We bought 5/6 different types of mayo and had a taste of each one, needless to say we passed all of them onto friends and got onto the internet to order our goodies. We tried ok :whome:

All I can say is Australia is truly a beautiful place and is full of beautiful people and we have been accepted with open arms so we are here to stay.

post-13175-1286705887.jpg

post-13175-1286705968.jpg

post-13175-1286706120.jpg

post-13175-1286706172.jpg

post-13175-1286706235.jpg

post-13175-1286706416.jpg

post-13175-1286706627.jpg

post-13175-1286706779.jpg

Thanks for the update Serendipity. Great to hear about your journey. :ilikeit: Also currently going through the mayonnaise taste test. :ilikeit:

Thanks for your update and the pic's, we have been following your journey with much interest and delight with all that you have experienced.

It helps keeps those of us still waiting motivated and looking in the right direction as sometimes we feel the urge to give up and succumb to this country.

BUT NO WAY we will be in OZ soon hopefully and enjoying first hand some of the sights you have shared with us. :ilikeit:

Thanks for the update! Always fun to read your journal. We're buying Praise Traditional Mayo here, it tastes similar to Woolies Mayo in SA, not so tangy as the others but far better than the alternatives you buy here at Coles.

Archived