Journey Downunder

Serendipity

WOW where has the time gone, didn't realize the last time I updated this thread was on the 24th of April ;)

So how are we doing Downunder?

It’s hard to believe we have only been here for just over 3 weeks – feels like we have been here months already :ilikeit:

We secured our rental and moved in 9 days after landing, from there is was all go. We furnished our house, bought all the much need appliances and a few non-essential extras as a treat. We all love our new home and even have a “pet†Magpie that visits everyday for his bread allowance; we call him Hoppy (he has a broken leg). We have met all but one of our neighbors around us - basically living in a small community is fantastic. My main concern was coming from JHB and not settling into the country life and a population of only about 2500 but all my fears have disappeared.

We have made so many friends, all of whom are Aussies and even been invited to a couple of BBQ’s, whoever said the aussies were hard to click with and unapproachable was so wrong. We have found everyone here to be so helpful and caring, to the point we have been offered assistance by way of furniture, kitchen goodies etc. Fortunately we didn’t need any of this but how amazing is it to land in a foreign country and have everyone to be so welcoming. I am sure though in the bigger cities this is not always the case.

The girls have settled into school and are loving the freedom, they only day I have taken them school in the car was on their 1st day, thereafter they have been scooting it all the time. They meet friends in the park after school and do what every child their age should be doing – HAVING FUN! They have made some really fantastic friends and we have already had friends over in the afternoons, my eldest has invited her “new best friend†to sleepover tonight, so I really think they are doing A-OK. What more could I ask for.

STRANGE STORY: We traveled from the other side of the world, moved into a small town in the middle of Gippsland and GUESS WHAT . . . There is another South African family here, they immigrated about 10 years ago, their daughter and boys go to the girls school BUT THAT’S NOT ALL . . . I know the Mom (yet to get together with her though), our eldest children used to go to the same playgroup together in RSA!!! Can you believe it; I mean it’s just so unreal. Just shows how small the world really is.

My DH has found his feet in his new job and has now been there for 9 days, it’s apart of a huge dealership but this branch is so family orientated – I get told off if I walk past and don’t go in to say hello to my DH and the others. We are hoping to have a house warming with all our new mates soon (u incl. Mel), got to buy the BBQ first though and some Cross and Blackwell mayo, I cant do a potato salad without South African mayo!

At the moment I am not working which is still strange for me as I have gone from being employed full time to sitting at home and being a “home executive†on this note all I can say is – the house is blooming clean!!! How long this will last I have no idea but foresee I will need something at least part time in the near future . . . if I don’t get something I might go completely insane! I have joined the schools parents club in the meantime and plan on doing some community volunteer work, it passes the hours for my sanity but at the same time I am giving to the community and meeting new people – win win situation in my book.

We received our lonesome box on Tuesday and it was so wonderful to be able to unpack and put some of our things back from RSA around the house. My Dad tied the box down for us and when we opened it there were little notes scattered all over with messages from my Mom and Dad, it was awesome and great to find them. One thing my folks do know how to do is turn on my taps. I really feel that the only thing I am missing terribly from RSA are my family and a few really close friends. Yes i know i talk big now, its only been 3 weeks but hey its how i feel today anyway. Hope it doesn't change but when it does I AM READY FOR IT!!

The saying "The grass is not always greener on the other side" for us its not really true, our grass, we feel, is greener and we are now starting to realize that this was the BIGGEST yet BEST decision we have ever made. I know we will all be happy here.

Sorry if I have bored you but in a nutshell we are doing well, I also heard some really fantastic news the other day which will possibly mean my entire family is on route OZ within the next couple of years but for now I am being mum on the matter.

For all of those still in the waiting game . . . wait it out . . . you will never regret it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
;) what a wonderful read! Congratulations. I have said this many times before- you need to put yourself out there- and whatever you put out will be returned and more. Its all about attitude.

Thanks I love reading your posts. I had got very dispondent, but you make me want to get there again. Carry on with your posts please

Thanks for your post!

It is wonderful to hear you guys are already enjoying

what Oz has to offer!

Keep them posts coming......

Chocolate

So finally this morning we all managed to get up at 5:30am and make it to the beach for our 1st viewed Australian sunrise, it was really pretty but i have decided that i am going to treat myself one day and buy a really nice camera ASAP

One thing i have noticed, for those who are camera happy, like me, there is just so much around that you won't want to leave the house without your camera and when you do take snap shots you will have a sudden desire to have a really nice camera. After this mornings adventure i now have that desire. My pics just don't do the Australian beauty any justice.

Anyhoo for now we are chilling a bit then going to get stuck into the garden, got to mow our own grass now and there is no "Alfred" to do it for us. (Alfred was our gardener in RSA).

Attached are a couple of pics from the Ninety Mile Beach sunrise

Oh and I see the pics they are all mixed up, sorry but sure you can work it out.

Wish you all a great weekend and for all the Mommies out there have a TRULY FANTASTIC MOTHERS DAY TOMORROW :(

post-13175-1273274652.jpg

post-13175-1273274688.jpg

post-13175-1273274718.jpg

post-13175-1273274763.jpg

post-13175-1273274835.jpg

post-13175-1273274902.jpg

beautiful photos...

We have accomplished so much since landing - we have been here 1 MONTH TOMORROW!!! Sounds like such a short time but for us we feel like we have been here for so much longer . . . For me i think its a good sign . . . WE ARE SETTLED!!

My advise to anyone nearing departure or still in the process, Be mentally and emotionally prepared, try not to stay in temp accom for to long and get your feet on the ground asap.

We did all of this and i truly believe its helped us.

Well there is not much to say since my last post, we are into a routine now, which is fantastic. Like in RSA my youngest wakes up with a smile on her face, my eldest still is being threatened with a cold water "bed shower" if she doesn't get out of bed - even though since starting school she has gained almost 2 hours extra sleep! My DH is still waking with the birds and having to kill 3 hours before going to work but its all good. I am not complaining though because he now hangs out in the garden doing this and that, just worried about what happens when the "this and thats" have all been done. hahaha

Today, despite the rain my girls insisted on riding their scooters to school - WOW it was almost WW3, i wanted to drive them, they wanted to ride and Dad, well he just went to work. Can't blame him. Anyway they went on their scooters, i had no fight left. Can't believe we are arguing over how they get to school, never in my life did i think them being allowed to go to school on their own steam would ever become an issue. Back in RSA is was never an issue - i took them and that was that. I love it though THEY FOUGHT FOR THEIR FREEDOM :P

Our weekend has been mapped out for us, more by guilt than anything else. Amazing how children always seem to get their own way (most of the time anyway)

My youngest (9) says she NEEEEEEEEEEDS to go to the snow because she has only ever seen it on the mountains at Drakensburg but never played in it.

I have been told they HAVE TO build a snowman . . . the way they went on you would think it was a matter of life or death.

So there you go, we going to the mountains to build a snowman. Now don't get me wrong, i am not complaining, its been along while since i built a snowman but being the typical mother I am more worried about the clothes they are going to put on their backs than the fun and games ahead in the snow.

Will update next week, hopefully with a pic of a snowman :ilikeit:

just worried about what happens when the "this and thats" have all been done. hahaha

Send him to me, there is always lots needing to be done in my garden! :ilikeit:

Thanks for sharing your new life with us.

Enjoy the snowman building...

Enjoy Mt Baw Baw! Don't eat the yellow snow! :blink:

Wow Serendipity!!

You guys have packed sooo much into a month!!! So glad you are enjoying it, and that the kids are settled and enjoying their new freedom.

You are making all of us still waiting in SA realise that it will all be worth it, am so excited to think that soon we will join you in OZ.

Good luck, and keep updating us!!

Enjoy Mt Baw Baw! Don't eat the yellow snow! :holy:

Ahhhhhhh way not Impatient, i was really looking forward to making a citrus snow cone :whome:

@ Eva - that's not a bad idea, i will hire him out as the "The Handy Husband" make some mega $$$$$ :blink: (not!)

ITS OFFICIAL

WE HAVE BEEN IN AUSTRALIA FOR ONE MONTH

:blink::whome::holy:

1: Do we have any regrets about immigrating?

NO WAYS!

2: Besides family and Friends do we really miss anything?

NO WAYS!

3: Are we here to stay?

YES PLEASE

My apologies for not being around the past week or posting much, I actually had a job to go to :ilikeit:

I got some temp work at the local real estate agents, which was great because i made some nice money and it got me away from the house work, which by the way i am paying for now!

Hoping they call back and offer something more permanent. Its really close, so i walk to work and the bonus here is that the offices only open at 9. Will let you know if something more permanent comes out of it, if not i will look elsewhere.

In my last past i mentioned the snow . . .well we never got to the snow, not because we didn't want to go but because there was none!!

I have been tracking the snowcams at Baw Baw and various other ski places and low and behold NOTHING on the morning we were planning to go, should of gone Wednesday when there was a nice dump. . . oh well the snow will be back and we will get there, hopefully June / July. Now keep in mind that we HAVE NEVER ski'd or even snowboarded but had a mad moment and placed a bid on Ebay for a family set of skis and poles . . . the cold must really be getting to my inner brain because i am not sure i was operating on a full box of chocolates when i did that :blink: Waiting to see if we win and if we do, well i'm not sure what to do with the blooming things.

Otherwise all is really good, we now all have bicycles which i am still not sure was a good idea, for me anyway! I have not owned a bike since i was in primary school and there

are places this morning that are reminding me of that fact. Will stick to it and overcome the pain to hopefully manage a few more k's, right now i don't think i could make it round the block! Children are so much more energetic than us old folk, in our case its a serious case of no pain no gain, they will do laps on me any day.

Had a sudden "chill" yesterday and realized we need to book our drivers, very worried about this and not sure why. I have been driving legally for years now but for some reason I find the prospect of having to redo it somewhat daunting :unsure: but like i have said from day one, we will tackle it head on, hope we (or should I say I) pass and go from there.

At the moment we are having to much fun to really loose any major sleep over it but i do know that its the last and final step in our migration to OZ and needs conquering asap.

My DH and youngest have taken up fishing and now head out at the beach in the early mornings. They surf fish and considering his experience he aint doing to bad, yesterday he hooked a skate (stingray), which needless to say but up a hell of a fight and got away (thats what i am told anyway lol) They did manage to hook another little fish, much to my littles ones delight, which apparently was just to pretty to keep, so he was a hook and release. We going to go with next weekend and see what its all about, you never know i might ending buying a rod also. haha

In a nutshell all is good. We have made some fantastic friends and are loving life. Yes i think of my family back in RSA on a daily basis but am yet to "breakdown", hoping it never happens but if and when it does I say Bring It On!

Hope everyone keeps warm and cozy in this winter weather, i know i am doing everything possible to do just that.

Serendipity, I am so happy for you and your family that you have settled so well and so soon. And here's the best part: Life only gets better after this!

From a fellow-Gippslander

Jera

Sounds like you guys are truly enjoying your new lives

down under! It is so nice to read about positive settlers!

Have fun

Chocolate

PS Where is Gippsland anyway?????

OH, what a life ! Being outside doing fun stuff with your children every day !! Enjoy every moment !!

Hi all you fabulous Forumites :ilikeit:

So here we are, still sane, still happy and still loving Australia.

I can not believe we have been here for 7 weeks 2 days, I can honestly say we have slipped into Australia with ease. In the process we have "discovered" Ebay and find

that we are buying some really strange items, main one being ski's, poles and boots for the entire family . . . why did we buy these . . . well besides the giveaway price of $19.50, we have no idea. None of us have ever skied yet here we are owning almost the full kit :blink: There is no hope. hahahaha

Last weekend we took a trip to the suburbs near Melbourne - 3 missions were planned for this trip

1. Collect our skis . . . like i said no hope. lol

2. Get some goodies from the RSA shop

3. Visit our friends.

OK so all was good, car full of fuel, GPS loaded, padkos and off we went. Now i learnt something new through this journey . . . NEVER TRUST A GPS!!!

What should of been a 2 hour drive, took us about 4 and nowhere near the main roads either. We had a tour through the National Park, through some REALLY small dorpies, over and around Mt Baw Baw (If there was snow, i dont think we would of get any further). We tested all possible roads - mud, tar, sand and stone. Now you try heading out for a "short trip" and have two girls in the car repeating "when are we there" like 50 million times, its like listening to a broken record player with no off button.

Eventually we found our way and reached our 1st destination at about 2pm. OK so on the bright side we saw parts of VIC that i dont think the locals even knew existed, yes i took advantage and snapped a few shots but would we do that route again??? Not a chance!!

We got to the RSA shop within 10 minutes of closing (4pm), were like children in a toy shop and bought all our goodies and some (including biltong - almost had to grab a bag to prevent hyperventilation at the price). One downside though, no MRS BALLS in stock. oh well next time.

FINALLY we got to our mates, unfortunately could not stay long because of the 2 hour drive back home and it was now dark. It was in fact about a 2 hour drive because we found the "yellow brick road" called the M1. We now know how to find it WITHOUT THE GPS from our house, just wish we had known the day before we left! Going to put this one down to experience.

Otherwise all is really well, I have just been offered a permanent position at the company I was temping for 3 days :ilikeit: Strange to say this, and i have been told there must be something in the Aussie air, but I am loving working there. The ladies i work with have accepted me for who i am, where i come from and have basically welcomed me with open arms. We going to be doing ladies nights out shortly. My boss still can't get over the way I sound and loves to make me repeat certain words or sentences, to him i sound weird at times but then again they all sound weird to me to.

Couple of things i find really strange here are that you can buy a micro for say $34 yet a really good piece of meat (obviously weighted accordingly) can cost the same. Personally we think things are not expensive, especially items like, appliances and those "wants to haves" that i would never of bought in RSA. My DH bought a mince mincer the other day, the intentions are good - he wants to try to make boerewors, would we of done that in RSA - No. Also some other goodies we now have but i wont name them all.

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MAKE WORS PLEASE POST A NICE RECIPE, Oh and on that note, what we gotta do to make Biltong?

:cry::(

On a sad note - because of the situation and that we can't be there for him - our friend was shot in the head a couple of nights ago, nothing stolen . . . he was just attacked! Don't understand it really I MEAN, WHY????? He is a great person, has loads to offer everyone he meets and would not hurt a fly yet this is what was waiting for him when he arrived home!! We have been told he is still in hospital undergoing major surgeries and will no doubt have many more in the years to come. I just pray that all goes well and there is no loss to his brain function. Our thoughts are with him and his family.

Ok off that, sorry for bringing that up but it has unfortunately been a part of our week and not something we expected to hear!!!

Off that topic now . . .

This weekend we had full intentions of heading out to Phillip Island but think its only going to happen over the long weekend (Queens Birthday, don't forget to send her a card)

Who knows though, everyday (except Monday to Friday hahaha) is an adventure.

For now that's me out, my apologies for all the potential junk in here but hey this is OZ - So No worries Mate :ilikeit:

Serendipity

I enjoyed reading it! :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit::blink::cry::(:ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Philip island is absolutely lovely !!! It so cool to discover all these places, the travelling all the photos. Enjoy its magic.

B) LOve the GPS fun and games. keep on writing and post those piccies. Some of us will never see what you have seen. so share!

Serendipity

Love your posts... Inspirational for those of us still stuck in the process....

Keep it coming!!!!!!! B):):)

Decided to share a couple of pics taken during our round-a-bout drive towards Melbourne, yes it was an insane journey but when I took the time and

looked back its really a beautiful way to get lost in OZ B)

Still waiting to get to the snow and Baw Baw but hey it will happen :)

Gippsland country is postcard perfect.

post-13175-1275903284.jpg

post-13175-1275903315.jpg

post-13175-1275903375.jpg

post-13175-1275903424.jpg

post-13175-1275903558.jpg

post-13175-1275903593.jpg

Archived