176 Family sponsored visas

WaltAM

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an election year for Federal and State govs, therefore immigration is a very sensitive topic down under. They are looking at various factors like population growth, urban sprawl, water and energy resources, house prices etc. Immigration impacts on all these factors.

I'm not sure whether someone already submitted this but it gives the processing times of various visas:

www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas

My big worry is that the Aus government is going to implement changes that will result in further possible delays or retroactive changes. We do not want to go to NZ as a first option but need to have a plan B for any possible eventualities that may arise in SA. I guess I am also frustrated by this process and am tired of being pushed from pillar to post. We have looked at all our options and the 176 family sponsored visa is our only option (unless there are significant changes afoot).

Hi all

Plan B turned out not to shabby at the end. Got my PR visa for New Zealand yesterday. (Lets see about 7 months) We are over the moon. Just a warning that applying for a PR visa straight without a job reduces your chances of getting a PR - although by the grace of God we were able to get it, you have to prove that you will be able to find a job, which by the grace of God I was able to do. The normal route seems to be Work to Residence Visa. What made me go for plan B was the fact that the family sponsored visas older that 2007 where retracted (or something like that) and people paid back their visa money. I was not willing to go for regional sponsorship, having to pay more money and losing the R16000 for the 176.

Karina Perfect

Congratulations are in order - now you are so much closer to Oz!! :ilikeit:

We are in exactly the same position as you were and we are now seriously considering applying for a visa for NZ. There are positions available in NZ that my hubby can apply for and stands a good chance of getting before the visa is granted, so we may stand a better chance of getting in there sooner than 2012. We are concerned that things may still change many times with the OZ visas, and possibly not in our favour, between now and 2012 and we may never get our Oz visa. Then it would have been another 2 years wasted.

So, our thinking is to maybe try and get into NZ and wait out our time for the Oz visa over there. Karina - is this what you are planning to do? Or are you making NZ your permanent new home? Our kids are still very young (5 and 1 yrs old) and therefore it would be easy to make the move twice. Oz is still our 1st choice, but we suppose there is no harm done experiencing another country while we wait!

Hi

Thank you for all the wishes, especially from you Georgie 1.

Hi WaltAM, We are very happy that this door opened up for us, and that everyone bought into it. Long term goals - settle in New Zealand. In two years we might relook at things, but I doubt that we will move to Australia, since our kids will be at school leaving age by that time, and considering the secondary education market in OZ is very full. So we a brazing ourselfs for the cold weather. Luckily I prefer cold weather over warm weather, must be my Natal midlands upbringing. I really do not have much hope for our FS 176, except I am looking forward to them paying us back, once again hope I am wrong. I also want to mention that I lodged under education management and not secondary teacher which contributed to my pain and agony. (tried to take shortcut).

Your position looks very secure to get a PR for NZ, and it is also not so expensive and you probably have all the document together by now.

Kind regards

Karina

Congrats Karina...all the best in NZ!!! We still have our hearts set on Aus (even though we have put in an EOI for NZ)...and have therefore also now lodged for ACT state sponsorship to try and speed up the process. Our application for state sponsorship went in this week and so we have to wait up to 60 working days for it to be granted....

Hopefully there are not too many changes planned in July that will set us and others back...

Hi everyone (and the oldies like Red, Jumbojet, marcia and others)

I guess I can now add my name to this waiting list. I am hoping they will take our history (see my timeline) into account as at one stage people who had been messed around by DIAC on the bond issue (long story, there was a freeze) got priority if they reapplied. If they wanted to be fair to us they would consider this but I know there are no guarantees. I must surely hold the record for the longest waiting immigrant in waiting!

• 2 months later...

I haven't been on the forum in a very long time.

It's been one year, two months since we applied and we are still waiting. The strange thing is that our circumstances in SA have improved so much that I'm really not minding the wait at all! :D

Looks like we still have another two years to go assuming they don't change the goal posts again. :(

• 7 months later...

I wonder how many of us 176 family sponsored are still waiting here?

It seems like those who manage to get state sponsorship are getting their visas granted pretty quickly thanks to priority processing.

Oh well, we can only wait as patiently as possible.

Don't feel alone ... still waiting. Let's hope there is not an abundance of new applications so that they can start processing ours sooner than 2012. :ilikeit: ... wouldn't that be a blessing.

My niece applied in June 2008 for a family sponsored visa - to date they have heard nothing - her career is now on the CSL so is her husband but were told to change it now takes you to the beginning of the waiting game. I wrote to the authorities here and they told me she just has to wait in the queue and the priority is not for family sponsored visa's right now... this was in about AUgust last year that I wrote and got a response...

We were family sponsored at time of initial application but subsequently changed to state sponsored to speed things up...

I became impatient and was sending my CV all over in the hope of getting a 457 visa rather ... and I am happy to report that I was succesful with my 457 and I am now in Brisbane! My 176 FS visa is still waiting to be processed, and today I sent an email to my agent asking if we could convert from Family sponsored to Employer sponsored...awaiting a response.

Hi all

First post on the site so kind of an intro for me.

Lodged our 176 family sponsored visa 20 Nov 2008

got our CO 06 Dec 2010 and have just submitted meds and character assessments.

Long wait is over (almost).

Hi all

This is such BRILLIANT news!! :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Hopefully, this is a sign that things are starting to move with these types of visas. Anybody else have such good news?

@deanj - please keep us posted with your progress.

Hi all

This is very positive news as I can not remember ever seeing anyone getting a CO with a 176 Family Sponsored Visa on this forum since....who knows?

I am getting very excited about the prospect. Thanks for the news DeanJ

AV&RM

We have had a CO since May 2010 on 176, in January 2011 CO requested for medicals and police clearances. We used courier and they arrived 7 Feb 2011. l wonder whether to start packing or we wait.

We have had a CO since May 2010 on 176, in January 2011 CO requested for medicals and police clearances. We used courier and they arrived 7 Feb 2011. l wonder whether to start packing or we wait.

Just need to check.... is this a 176 Family Sponsored visa?

Just need to check.... is this a 176 Family Sponsored visa?

No it was 175 then changed to SS 176.

No it was 175 then changed to SS 176.

Ok, good luck and I hope we see your good news post soon! :)

Archived