Best of Both Worlds

Black Label

Question

Best of Both Worlds.

I've been fortunate.

I've been blessed.

I had the opportunity to live in both worlds for the past 28 months.

We live in Queensland, Airlie Beach to be precise, for the past 28 months I’ve been commuting between SA an Australia, one month in Australia one month in SA.

Initially it was the ideal solution, my wife and children safe and secure while I carried on running my company in South Africa, the months in Australia we spent traveling, going to different places and seeing new places.

My children just love Australia, made plenty of friends, and excelled in sports and academics, however being away from home so often and for such long periods is not good for any family.

I had to think long and hard, and this was probably the hardest decision yet, but on the 14th of June 2009, 3 days ago I’ve made the decision that we will be moving back to South Africa, bought some property in the Western Cape, and soon will be commuting between Cape Town and JHB.

The following is what influenced my decision, please people this is my personal opinion, based on my current living and working experience.

1. Starting a business in Australia is not easy, and by that I don't mean a coffee shop or take-away, the way Australians say it describes it best "Made by Australians for Australians" 90% of Australian people will support their own people before supporting a foreigner - at least the Auzies stick together and i admire them for that.

2. Business culture is totally different " South Africans are street wise, and have business savvy, Australians are very rigid and is as flexible as a tree trunk. (Business culture are two worlds apart)

3. Australia is a beautiful country, with islands forests and mountains, South Africa even more beautiful and what i miss the most are the variety of animals.

4. In Australia, South Africans are willing to do jobs, they will never do in South Africa, in Australia South African adults are willing to work as maids cleaning houses, work at McDonalds, be points men on road construction sites, woman working as truck drivers - in South Africa peolpe think they are to good for that, and worry what their friends and family will say.

5. In South Africa you will rather pay someone R2000 a month to clean your house and R1000 to mow your lawn, but in Australia funny enough the whole family pitch in to do what you paid R3000 a month for in South Africa.

6. In South Africa we are quick to blow the horn an swear when the service is not quick enough at the Gas station, but in Australia we get out of the car, fill up with fuel , clean the window and walk in to pay at the quick shop that is manned by a single person.

7. In South Africa people want to send their kids to the best schools in the best neighborhoods, in Australia, some South Africans are willing to send their kids to whatever school is closest, schools where body piercing and tattoos are the norm and discipline non existing - the only alternative expensive private schools.

8. In Australia ,South Africans will live in a small prefab 3 bedroom house, and drive a Toyota yaris, or something similar, in South Africa ,its all about where you live and what you drive (again keeping up with the Jones)

9. Compare the way some South Africans you know are willing to go to church or to the mall in Australia, to the way people dress up for the same occasion in South Africa. (South African peolpe in general are well groomed people and look after them selves, but 1 ,2 or 3 years in Australia and they start to accept the norm.

I am not negative towards Australia, Australia is a great place to live, Australia and in particular South Africans in Australia have been an eye opener for me during the past 28 months - Some are really quick to bash South Africa and point out all the bad - but in my opinion South Africa is not as bad, compared to 95% of the places on earth where you could go and live.

People are so quick to complain in South Africa, but if you watch current affair and see what is going on in Australia, e.g. glassing in night clubs, serious assaults on Australian police officers, drug and alcohol abuse under teens, drive by shootings, gangs and street fighting etc........

And yes i know about the serious assaults and pointless murders in South Africa !!

Life is what you make of it, not where you make it.

Family and religeon is what is most important, and if God can save you in Australia,London or Peru he can and will keep you safe in South Africa - It's been an expensive lesson but one i am grateful for - i will always look back at Australia and be thankfull for the experience.

South Africa does have its problems, but peolpe need to compare apples with apples - There are propably 300 or more countries around the world you will be worse of living in than either South Africa or Australia.

I hope I did not offend to many people, as I said this is just my personal opinion - therfore i urge you to read the entire post again before throwing stones.

Edited by Black Label

Black Label your last post is one of the most sensible postings I've read here in a long time. Well said.

Great post . I wish more people could post in this manner. I agree to each his own. Africa and Australia have their own unique identities and some love one more than the other. I seem to like both for different reasons. It is a hard one...

just remember immigrating is a journey not the end of the world,

It doesn't have to be your final destination, it is just your next destination - if you like it stay, if not move on.

I just love this sentence, BL, so often we tend to see moving to another country as an "all or nothing" affair - why can't we just relocate and see where that takes us? What is it about us (saffers in particular) that we can't embrace this modern move towards Global Citizenship? How much more fun our lives would be if we looked at life as a series of exhilirating journeys, if we approached each destination as if we were a cruise liner instead of a seed....

thanks for the update and keep posting!

It doesn't have to be your final destination, it is just your next destination - if you like it stay, if not move on.

Some people adapt better than others, unfortunately I am not one of them, I take my hat of for the people sticking it out in Oz -it is not always easy.

Good on Ya. :)

Stay well. Enjoy your honest posts

I wanted to move again, to another country, Bluebonnet style, or another state but the family refuse to move again. Lucky I enjoy it here too.

Black Label - thank you for your honest post. I have not read something like that on this forum in a very long time - hence why I hardly pop in. My husband and I will be moving back to SA in the next 3 weeks, we have been here for over 5 years now and the pull for us has never died. We have been fortunate enough to go back to SA once a year so we are 100% aware of everything going on there.

All of our family and friends are there - no one talks about moving away, so we often wonder why we did. They all seem happier than us... interesting...

Of course moving home has its own emotional roller coaster as life here in Oz has been good to us and neither of us regret this adventure we have been on. Your statement of 'It doesn't have to be your final destination, it is just your next destination - if you like it stay, if not move on' is certainly the attitude I am adopting with this move.

Good luck and I am so pleased for you that you and your family have finally settled and are living where you want to be.

Edited by UnsureGC

Good luck Unsure GC, everything of the best with your move, and keep us posted if you can of life in SA.

Black Label - thank you for your honest post. I have not read something like that on this forum in a very long time - hence why I hardly pop in. My husband and I will be moving back to SA in the next 3 weeks, we have been here for over 5 years now and the pull for us has never died. We have been fortunate enough to go back to SA once a year so we are 100% aware of everything going on there.

Do you not think returning every year has stopped you settleing. I was unsure of things the first year. But after that never wanted to return. Friends of ours who continually return every year wanted to go back, but after 7 years now are finally settled and will skip returning every year.

They have friends here and there.

I cant understand how all your friends can be there. We have very good friends here after less time than that.. As to family whilst we care for them each must make their own descision. But you probably are citizens so can come and go as you want anyway

This is Black Label reporting back after many moons.

Hi to everyone on the forum.

Have been back for almost 3 years, not a day of regret - business is doing good, wife and kids are happy, still have a few good friends in OZ with whom i chat regulary.

Thank God havent been affected by crime, or any close encounters.

Love it in the Cape - i must admit living in the Cape compared to living in Gauteng is like living in anothert world.

Black Label

Really pleased that all is well for you Black Label

I think one of the most important things in our lives is feeling comfortable with our lives and our decisions.

One of the important things I have learnt is that it is OK to change your mind and try something else or go back to what you had before.

Go well - and enjoy, we spent a short time in the Cape and loved it there.

So glad things are going well for you Black Label!

Please give my beloved mountains a wave from me :)

Ah, ditto to what Mich said, and yes, no mountain range in the world can top the beautiful, majestic Table Mountain.

E

I for one would be glad to do without the 15 people on the forecourt at a petrol station. The only reason they are there is to "create employment".

I would also quite happily do without the people at every single traffic light, ESPECIALLY the ones that insist on washing your windscreen with a dirty lappie. There was one on the Grayston offramp the other day that almost started swinging from the lamp post when I didn't pull right up to the traffic light so he could assault my windscreen with his "cleaning".

Please, please let the next year fly by. I need to be out of here :(

I for one would be glad to do without the 15 people on the forecourt at a petrol station. The only reason they are there is to "create employment".

I would also quite happily do without the people at every single traffic light, ESPECIALLY the ones that insist on washing your windscreen with a dirty lappie. There was one on the Grayston offramp the other day that almost started swinging from the lamp post when I didn't pull right up to the traffic light so he could assault my windscreen with his "cleaning".

Granted Cape Town is beautiful amd yes the mountain is lovely but once you live in Oz for a while you discover fantastic places. Did you know that Australia was voted as having the worlds best beaches? I may be shouted down but I dont care, Sydney and surrounds beats Cape Town. I just feel more alive when in Sydney than in Cape Town. Cape Town waterfront is ok but Sydney is realy better and yes I really like the fact that I am not harrassed by piles of window washers, car guards etc

• Like 1

I'd forgotten how irritating and indeed very stressing out that can be, I've actually had one or to people in Perth doing it, but there was none of the agression I remember from the JHB streets when you say "no thank you"

I'm sure you'll love it here in OZ :-)

HI Black Label,

Thanks for popping back in after all these years to update us on your journey and re-settling back in SA, It is really great to hear you and your family are well and that you do not regret your decision, also that you have not been affected by crime in any way.

Immigration is a personal decision and yes it is not always for everyone, but one will never know if they don't try. Well done for being so honest.

Godd luck into the future and may your life continue to go well and your family continue to thrive.

T

If only more ppl would be as level-headed about immigration as Black Label...

Very interesting thread... I am too am having daily thoughts about leaving Oz for SA. I dont really want to go into to many details and am aware of the usual responses I will get, but I too have seen too many people who long for SA but are still here (understandably). I made myself a promise before I left , I would come home if I found this wasn't for me. Leaving parents and friends and a good lifestyle , where I got to spend more "free" time with my kids than I do know seem appealing to me again. The loneliness and emotional upheaval is nothink like I ever thought it would be. My kids are happy here but I know they would be just as happy in SA. I can identify with lots of what Black Label has said... and even shed a few tears reading them. I know not where my journey will take me, but living life half empty, doesn't make sense to me...

On the side, we used IOM to get here, is there any equivalent to get discounted return tickets ? $ 7500 is a lot of money !

Thanks

RosFam

If I could just say one thing and this is in no way a judgement as each of us must do what we need to in order to be happy. I noticed your landing date as Nov 2012, so you haven't been here for quite 6 months yet, so you need to be sure you are not confusing the very normal mixed feelings one can have in the first year or two with the absolutely real longing that someone who has been for years and it has still never gone has.

Without going to the start of the thread, Black Label was here for about 3 years before he made his choice to return.

In all honesty, there were many times in my first year here that I would have gone back, but it was more about really struggling here financially than the lure of South Africa.

Fortunately i am a proud person ( I say that because if not I would have begged my family for money to help us go back) and did not ask. I am so happy that I didn't, things picked up and today almost 7 years later South Africa is but a place I used to live in, similarly to the UK I was born in.

Just be sure about things before you suffer a huge financial loss in going back and finding it is not really what you want.

Also, if there is anything in particular I can help you with, or you wish to share, please don't feel you are alone, you can always pm me.

If you choose to stay or choose to go, I'm sure the forum members will be very supportive either way, but try to be sure that it is for the greater benefit for all of you, hubby and kids included.

One last thing, my folks emigrated to RSA in the 80's and i could often hear my Mum crying at night, it was incredibly hard for them and we went from being fairly OK in the UK to battling in South Africa....lots of British people went back in those days, at least 30% but my Mum and Dad's only motive for staying was for their 4 kids to have a future.....

The funny thing is that two of their kids are still in RSA, one in Ireland and one in Australia, so look how that worked out.

My folks also went back to the UK last year for a holiday, for my Mum it is the second time in 31 years and for my Dad the first. I was actually encouraging them to think about moving back as I worry about them now that they are retired, I think my Dad would consider it but not my Mum.....................

Sorry for waffling, but I am just trying to illustrate that none of us know what will make us happy until we try and each one of us is different, so just be sure that your choice is right for you and your family.

My offer stands, if you need to talk or just share what you are feeling.

The very best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words Andrea, I there are obviously more details that I am not comfortable to share on a public forum suffice to say that a lot of the circumstance of Black Label rung true to me this morning when I read the post and its history. I know most do struggle when leaving their motherland, but for me some of what we have left behind is too deep to recover. I will PM you - and THANK-YOU for lending a supporting ear.