Best of Both Worlds

Black Label

Question

Best of Both Worlds.

I've been fortunate.

I've been blessed.

I had the opportunity to live in both worlds for the past 28 months.

We live in Queensland, Airlie Beach to be precise, for the past 28 months I’ve been commuting between SA an Australia, one month in Australia one month in SA.

Initially it was the ideal solution, my wife and children safe and secure while I carried on running my company in South Africa, the months in Australia we spent traveling, going to different places and seeing new places.

My children just love Australia, made plenty of friends, and excelled in sports and academics, however being away from home so often and for such long periods is not good for any family.

I had to think long and hard, and this was probably the hardest decision yet, but on the 14th of June 2009, 3 days ago I’ve made the decision that we will be moving back to South Africa, bought some property in the Western Cape, and soon will be commuting between Cape Town and JHB.

The following is what influenced my decision, please people this is my personal opinion, based on my current living and working experience.

1. Starting a business in Australia is not easy, and by that I don't mean a coffee shop or take-away, the way Australians say it describes it best "Made by Australians for Australians" 90% of Australian people will support their own people before supporting a foreigner - at least the Auzies stick together and i admire them for that.

2. Business culture is totally different " South Africans are street wise, and have business savvy, Australians are very rigid and is as flexible as a tree trunk. (Business culture are two worlds apart)

3. Australia is a beautiful country, with islands forests and mountains, South Africa even more beautiful and what i miss the most are the variety of animals.

4. In Australia, South Africans are willing to do jobs, they will never do in South Africa, in Australia South African adults are willing to work as maids cleaning houses, work at McDonalds, be points men on road construction sites, woman working as truck drivers - in South Africa peolpe think they are to good for that, and worry what their friends and family will say.

5. In South Africa you will rather pay someone R2000 a month to clean your house and R1000 to mow your lawn, but in Australia funny enough the whole family pitch in to do what you paid R3000 a month for in South Africa.

6. In South Africa we are quick to blow the horn an swear when the service is not quick enough at the Gas station, but in Australia we get out of the car, fill up with fuel , clean the window and walk in to pay at the quick shop that is manned by a single person.

7. In South Africa people want to send their kids to the best schools in the best neighborhoods, in Australia, some South Africans are willing to send their kids to whatever school is closest, schools where body piercing and tattoos are the norm and discipline non existing - the only alternative expensive private schools.

8. In Australia ,South Africans will live in a small prefab 3 bedroom house, and drive a Toyota yaris, or something similar, in South Africa ,its all about where you live and what you drive (again keeping up with the Jones)

9. Compare the way some South Africans you know are willing to go to church or to the mall in Australia, to the way people dress up for the same occasion in South Africa. (South African peolpe in general are well groomed people and look after them selves, but 1 ,2 or 3 years in Australia and they start to accept the norm.

I am not negative towards Australia, Australia is a great place to live, Australia and in particular South Africans in Australia have been an eye opener for me during the past 28 months - Some are really quick to bash South Africa and point out all the bad - but in my opinion South Africa is not as bad, compared to 95% of the places on earth where you could go and live.

People are so quick to complain in South Africa, but if you watch current affair and see what is going on in Australia, e.g. glassing in night clubs, serious assaults on Australian police officers, drug and alcohol abuse under teens, drive by shootings, gangs and street fighting etc........

And yes i know about the serious assaults and pointless murders in South Africa !!

Life is what you make of it, not where you make it.

Family and religeon is what is most important, and if God can save you in Australia,London or Peru he can and will keep you safe in South Africa - It's been an expensive lesson but one i am grateful for - i will always look back at Australia and be thankfull for the experience.

South Africa does have its problems, but peolpe need to compare apples with apples - There are propably 300 or more countries around the world you will be worse of living in than either South Africa or Australia.

I hope I did not offend to many people, as I said this is just my personal opinion - therfore i urge you to read the entire post again before throwing stones.

Edited by Black Label

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know you are back "home" and feeling content again.

In a way I envy your bravery - I just dont have the nerve to go back - but I do understand exactly what you were looking for and couldnt find in Australia.

I wish you and your family all the happiness. As Liesl mentions, please keep us posted on your progress.

Take care,

Welcome back in SA Black Label.

Glad to hear you've arrived safely and the kids are already settled.

I agree with Liesl, please stay on the forum as I think you will have much to contribute.

I remember when we came to SA on holiday from the US after being there for a year. I almost burst out in tears when we I stepped out on the tarmac at CT Airport, just that sense that you're home. Hopefully I will feel like that one day about an Aussie airport.

Keep us updated and hope you're enjoying the rain! :ilikeit:

I know it is between you and God, but may I then extrapolate. You trust in God to protect you. I therefor have to asume that all the victims of crime in South Africa did not TRUST God enough or did not have enough faith or did not pray enough? God gave us feet, hands and a brain for a reason.

I know it is between you and God, but may I then extrapolate. You trust in God to protect you. I therefor have to asume that all the victims of crime in South Africa did not TRUST God enough or did not have enough faith or did not pray enough? God gave us feet, hands and a brain for a reason.

Antoinette

Do what you have to do, cause i don't know what you are going on about, use your feet, hands and brain if you have to, no one will stop you. :hug:

Best of Both Worlds.

Life is what you make of it, not where you make it.

Family and religeon is what is most important, and if God can save you in Australia,London or Peru he can and will keep you safe in South Africa - It's been an expensive lesson but one i am grateful for - i will always look back at Australia and be thankfull for the experience.

South Africa does have its problems, but peolpe need to compare apples with apples - There are propably 300 or more countries around the world you will be worse of living in than either South Africa or Australia.

I can't speak for Antoinette - but interpret her post, as been out of her concern for your safety, and suggesting that you will need to use more than 'faith' to ensure your and your families safety - as she points out that many other 'faithfull' people have been victims of crime >

Good LucK !

I can't speak for Antoinette - but interpret her post, as been out of her concern for your safety, and suggesting that you will need to use more than 'faith' to ensure your and your families safety - as she points out that many other 'faithfull' people have been victims of crime >

Good LucK !

Patrice

There is really nothing to interpret, but thanx for trying - her post is plain and simple sarcasm, nothing to do with concern for our safety, rather a poor attempt at mocking religion and distorting what I really meant.

Glad to hear you are safely back in South Africa. I agree with Liesl, you will have lots to contribute to the forum from a very different perspective!

Here's hoping that it all works out for you back in South Africa the way you want it to...

Regards

Eva

Hi There

Happy to hear you are all back in S.A and happy. I can imagine it must be wonderful for you feeling at home where you belong!

You followed your heart and that's what you need to be happy for you and your family.

Keep in touch and wishing you all the happiness in your new home.

:blink:

I almost burst out in tears when we I stepped out on the tarmac at CT Airport, just that sense that you're home.

Sorry but I have read this thread and just want to add my 2 cents if I may, now I know lots of you might say not him again but so be it, if you so choose stop reading this then!

You see Michele R is 100% correct in her above statement and the basis of this thing is as follow.

Home is where the hart is and has nothing to do with God or praying or any of that crap!!

As I suppose most of you know we have a wonderful song in the land of Oz called “I still call Australia home†and I will include the words for those that has never heard the song.

I've been to cities that never close down

From New York to Rio and old London town

But no matter how far

Or how wide I roam

I still call Australia home.

I'm always travelin'

And I love bein' free

So I keep leavin' the sun and the sea

But my heart lies waiting over the foam

All the sons and daughters spinning 'round the world

Away from their families and friends

Ah, but as the world gets older and colder

It's good to know where your journey ends.

And someday we'll all be together once more

When all the ships come back to the shore

Then I realize something I've always known

No matter how far

Or how wide I roam

The basis according to me is as follow, as long as you refer to South Africa as home your hart is and cannot be in Australia and therefore I take my hat of to you Black Label!!!! You at least had the guts to say that your hart is still rock solid in South Africa. I have respect for you mate as I personally think there are hundreds of South Africans in this great land called Australia that would rather be in South African but they have all sorts of lame stories of why they would rather stay in this great country.

You see to me this has been very easy as I now do call Australia HOME and my HART is set in this wonderful country called Australia.

Black Label, I wish you all the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by JohanK

Well said Johan, I must admit when I saw your post I though OH OH, here comes trouble, I know you are very pro Australia, but good on you for knowing and accepting everyone is different and that Australia isn't for everyone, and admiring Black Labels determination and guts to get his family back to SA. Your shares just went up even though you have a Wallabies Avatar. :blink:

Cheers, Jill

Edited by Jill

Well said Johan - it's all about where one's heart is. For many people: no amount of reasoning can over rule the heart. And at the end of the day you need to be happy to have a good quality of life. For Blacklabel it means being back in SA.

I echo the request for Blacklabel to remain an active member of the forum. He sounds like someone who will offer some level-headed commentary on life in SA and wont bash Oz to validate his decision to move.

cheers

Great post Johan!

I think people need to follow their heart, what works for one person doesn't always work for another, and that's great, we need diversity in the world.

I also don't want Black Label to leave as I feel he has much to contribute.

Hi to all down under !!

Just a quick update, been back 4 months and counting, still no regrets business is booming, the new farm is doing well,

initially bought 4 horses the 2nd month and bought another 18 over the past 2 months.

Been to a few rugby games, Kids doing excellent in their new school and made plenty of new friends, in the beginning they missed all their Oz friends

but I think if they had to choose, they would rather stay in SA now.

We still have contact with our friends from Oz, and I just heard that a couple we met there is also moving back to SA.

My Feedback

We would not have been able to afford in Oz the life style we can afford in SA.

The friends our kids have here are much more respectful and still kids acting their age.

Religion in SA is of much higher priority than in OZ.

Work culture is much friendlier and easy going, and the business opportunities are endless.

Most of all being close to family and friends specially with Christmas approaching.

OZ is a great place and initially I thought I would miss it much more.

OZ is a great place and initially I thought I would miss it much more.

Thanks for dropping in and giving us an update on your life!

Great to hear things are going well for you back in South Africa, we each have to follow our own paths, and I hope it continues to be a positive move for you....

South Africa is a great place, and I thought I would miss IT more, guess sometimes you just get on with the choices you make in life and be happy.

All the best...

Good to hear some feedback from you. Glad things are going well.

All the best, keep us posted if you can.

Jill

Good to hear some feedback from you. Glad things are going well.

All the best, keep us posted if you can.

Jill

Well done black label. I do not want to say been there done that but I have but yes Africa is quite special I know how you feel. Will be visiting in Dec cannot wait woohoo. Now it is time for us to make up our mind what we want to do. Do we want to saty in Oz or will we visit SA and say oh my gosh I love this place

No more updates? I'm still interested to hear about the ups and downs of settling back....

No more updates? I'm still interested to hear about the ups and downs of settling back....

hear hear, wnet back in Dec for holiday. yes SA is still beautiful but but but potholes, potholes, potholes, inefficiency, bad service everywhere.

Much enjoyed, glad to be back here in Oz

I don't think anyone will "just" go back. It does not matter how much I miss my family or familiar things I will NEVER go back if I don't have something very good lined up and on the flip side I'm not looking to. I think 99% of people that do go back have lucrative position(s) or business opportunities lined up or they are really wealthy and they would not need to work.

We left SA on a good note, hell my previous company even offered me a good raise and a promotion if I stayed. This makes it harder, I can imagine how desperate one must be to get out of SA if you lost your job or struggle to find work ect, I know I would have, it makes absolute sense.

Just my thought.

Black Label,

would you have gone back if you did not have a succesfull business??

Hello Byron

This is an interesting question, and I don't want to disappoint you with just a quick YES or NO.

Having a successful business in SA, made the decision much easier, however money and comfort was never the key driver.

A successful business can be lost over night, accept for death and taxes nothing else is a certainty.

For us the concept of moving to Australia was exhilarating, we had this idyllic view of our new life in OZ.

We had a reasonable nice house in Airlie beach, Barrier Reef on our door step, a nice cabin boat, holidays on the Islands, Byron honestly we had all we needed in OZ,

and we truly enjoyed it in the beginning, unfortunately missing the familiar eventually became to much - South Africa, the people the culture, nature & heritage. I came to realise no matter how long we stayed in OZ it would never change, the longing will always be there, and only a few people can live with that.

I've met so many people in Oz, that felt exactly like me, and understandably fear is what's keeping them from returning

God willing we haven't been affected by serious crime, but we are hundred times better of now, knowing that we are where we want to be and without the 2 years in Oz we probably wouldn't have realised it, we tried it loved it but couldn't live with it, if however we never went to OZ we would always have wanted to go - therefore no regrets from our side.

Sometimes you need to leave your comfort zone, to realize what it is that you want.

Some people will and some have made a huge success in OZ, it all depends with what attitude you go, just remember immigrating is a journey not the end of the world,

It doesn't have to be your final destination, it is just your next destination - if you like it stay, if not move on.

Some people adapt better than others, unfortunately I am not one of them, I take my hat of for the people sticking it out in Oz -it is not always easy.

Black Label

Edited by Black Label
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing Black Label..