How do we get motivated about moving back to SA?

dirtbike

Question

How does one get motivated about having to move back to SA?

My wife and I have only been here for around 3 months now (Perth) and due to me loosing my sponsorship we only have another 2 weeks left. I have sent my CV out to 100's of advertised positions but with no luck, not even a response from 95% of them.

We have basicaly given up and realised that what is to be must be. Going to be a very sad day when we have to leave our friends again, some of which I have known since primary school in SA.

It has been such a financial burden on us, we sold up everything to cover our costs in getting here. Now that we are here we are struggling to get enough money together to fly back to SA. I went to see immigrations regarding this today and they said that if the company does not want to pay for our return costs the Australian goverment will fit the bill for our expatriation but we will not be allowed back into Australia until we have paid them back!

I find it a very bitter pill to swallow, that they are allowing companies to exploit people on the 457 visa like this. And to make it worse the company that sponsered me to come over is owned by two South African's.

On the flip side it has also been amazing to see how many fantastic South African's are living here. I cant express enough gratitude to a number of people that have tried helping since things have gone pear shaped. Thank you to everyone...

Edited by dirtbike

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• dirtbike

• Good Witch

• Michele R

• MarcK

I am sure most of you remember this post about us having to go back to South Africa... Well things took an unexpected turn...

After finalising return tickets and dates to South Africa I got a call from a company in Adelaide on Friday that I had sent my CV too. They asked if I could come for an interview on the Monday (we were due to fly out the following week) and go around for a day or two with one of the guys that works there to see if I am suitable for the position. I obviously jumped at the offer and flew down to Adelaide from Perth.

The interview went well and they offered me the position. I did not get my hopes up as I knew getting another 457 visa would be tricky with the current economic situation. I returned to Perth to let my wife know the good news. We packed up and flew back to Adelaide a week later with our fingers crossed that we would get another visa.

The company submitted my new visa application the same day I left Adelaide. 2 weeks later our new visa application was approved!! :unsure:

Once again our plans have gone through the window but we are very very happy to still be in Australia.

So far so good and everything is going well...

The rollercoaster ride continues!

Thanks again to everyone for there support and help!

Oi... THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

Been thinking of you guys so much... WELCOME TO ADELAIDE!!!!!

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the rolorcoster ride!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really happy for you!!

Well Done :D:ilikeit: :ilikeit:

It is like everyone said one door closes and another one opens

Hope you are happy in Adelaide :) :) :)

This is the best news ever! Fantastic Dirtbike! I am really happy for you! Was wondering how you are doing... Good on you for not giving up, and I am thrilled that your persistence has paid off.

Everything of the best, truly. I hope that you are in a position to obtain a PR soon so that you can get the security that you so obviously deserve.

Cheers

Andi

Hi Dirtbike

This is great news!! I am so happy for you and your family!

How is Adelaide? do you like it there so far?

Wow this is really great news.

C

What fantastic news, wishing you everything of the best

Must say Adelaide is quite a bit different from Perth. So far so good and we enjoying it here. Have not seen much except while driving around for work and we went to Murray Bridge last weekend. Looking forward to finding a place where we can settle down and get our lives back on track. Still living out of our suitcases, going on 4 months now!

PR is definitely our next hurdle...

Fantastic news!!!

So happy for you. Hope you enjoy your new city.

Well, this is one way to get to see Australia, isn't it?....... :)

Hi D

So happy for you and your family. My husband too lost his job on a 457 after 7 months due to his position being made redundant. We're now going through the motions of getting our PR Visas and going through the whole process again is certainly frustrating, but if it all works out it will be worth it. I do agree with your earlier posts that there should be more rights for 457 visa holders. Our company pressured us to get here and then this happened. And once again we're footing the bills applying for new visas etc. It's not fair, but hey we'll get through it and survive.

We're Saffers afterall!

All the best in Adelaide, glad things worked out so you can stay.

Hi there, congrats on getting a new job, if I knew what you did and read the post sooner I would have contacted you, I had a client who was looking for a frigee and I found him 2, he wanted one and took both as you are so hard to come by. He was even willing to sposnor

Well done

Nicki

What fantastic news, I am so, so pleased something came up!

How is Adelaide, are you enjoying your new home?

Hi DirtBike :ilikeit::)

What a wonderful surprise, encouraging, amazing - I am over the moon for you guys.

Reminds me of Windston Churchill's speech:

Never, ever, ever, ever ever give up.

Karina

Edited by KarinaPer

Hi Dirtbike

Unfortunately missed your original post, so could read the whole thread in one!

I know this might not be funny to you, but boy was it a "Lekker" read to get the good news immediately after the worry post! Wish more things could be like that, the good and bad instantly together!

Soooo glad to hear your good news in the end, hope Adelaide treats you well, and that you receive some stability!

So happy for you

Stranded

Must say Adelaide is quite a bit different from Perth. So far so good and we enjoying it here. Have not seen much except while driving around for work and we went to Murray Bridge last weekend. Looking forward to finding a place where we can settle down and get our lives back on track. Still living out of our suitcases, going on 4 months now!

PR is definitely our next hurdle...

Hi Mike

Welcome to the metropolis of Adelaide. :holy::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Pleased to see that you did not have to go back to the RSA.

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT

Just love it when things end well !

So glad to hear things have taken on a positive turn for you. You really deserved this.

Hope you settle into your new city soon - all the best,

Great news!

Am so happy things worked out for you! :)

Good luck with the PR!

Gosh Dirtbike, that's fantastic news!

And almost did not read this thread, as the original

heading does not hold true anymore!

All the best with Adelaide, I am sure you will be very happy.

Regards

Chocolate

I'm glad that things worked out in the end

All of the best

Dax

Great news. I am chuffed for you guys that it all worked out for the best in the end.

Good luck and enjoy Adelaide!