How do we get motivated about moving back to SA?

dirtbike

Question

How does one get motivated about having to move back to SA?

My wife and I have only been here for around 3 months now (Perth) and due to me loosing my sponsorship we only have another 2 weeks left. I have sent my CV out to 100's of advertised positions but with no luck, not even a response from 95% of them.

We have basicaly given up and realised that what is to be must be. Going to be a very sad day when we have to leave our friends again, some of which I have known since primary school in SA.

It has been such a financial burden on us, we sold up everything to cover our costs in getting here. Now that we are here we are struggling to get enough money together to fly back to SA. I went to see immigrations regarding this today and they said that if the company does not want to pay for our return costs the Australian goverment will fit the bill for our expatriation but we will not be allowed back into Australia until we have paid them back!

I find it a very bitter pill to swallow, that they are allowing companies to exploit people on the 457 visa like this. And to make it worse the company that sponsered me to come over is owned by two South African's.

On the flip side it has also been amazing to see how many fantastic South African's are living here. I cant express enough gratitude to a number of people that have tried helping since things have gone pear shaped. Thank you to everyone...

Edited by dirtbike

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• dirtbike

• Good Witch

• Michele R

• MarcK

What type of work do you do?

We can all just wish you well and pray for a miracle!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Yo!

Hi there... I am so sorry to hear your story. But please dont give up just yet.... keep pushing and trying.... is there anyway you can get a bridging visa??

What work do you do? Maybe ... just maybe ... somebody can help from the forum

I sent you a PM Dirtbike... I too am praying for you. Don't give up...

we can only pray that you do find something in the two remaining weeks

best wishes

Before we had our PR, we were living with that same sword over our heads. What happens if.....? So, I can just try to imagine what you must be going through. I'd be devastated if I have to go back!

There are very few answers in life - least where we look for them and I've come to realise that however clichéd it sounds, things DO happen for a reason - some which we only understand years down the line.

When bad things happened in our life, we were asking why and not getting answers. Today, looking back, those are the very things which brought us to our new life in Australia! I met hubby while searching for answers to a really tough time in my live and wouldn't have if that was not the case. The list goes on. There is a purpose to everything - hold on to that and trust that you will find the answers when the right time comes. I can only carry you in my thoughts and hope things will work out for you. Don't give up! (I wish I could help...)

Hi All,

We, as a company, tried to arrange to take over Dirtbike's sponsorship after his first position fell through. Unfortunately, with all the red tape, we were not in a position too.

However, if anybody out there is in a position to help Dirtbike - we can highly recommend him. In the time that we got to know him he proved himself to be committed, hard working and dedicated at all times.

Dirtbike, we wish you all the best!!!

Lee

I sent Dirtbike a message suggesting he try companies in the country towns, instead of the large coastal cities... Wagga being one example, but I am sure that there must be many more...

Those of us in the country, perhaps we could all scratch our heads and think of ANY possible company in our towns that might consider this family's needs? Surely there must be SOME work for an air conditioner tradesman?

I suggested that Dirtbike try Cargill Beef Australia, in Wagga. They regularly bring tradesmen over from RSA and other places, and while these seem to be mostly restricted to electricians and fitters, I think it is worth a try...

Please send thru any possible 'leads' so that our mate here can find a solution...

Hang in there buddy...

Thanks everyone. I am in the Air Conditioning trade, so this is not the best time of the year to be looking for work. A major factor at the moment is the red tape that companies have to go through to sponsor 457's.

Thanks everyone. I am in the Air Conditioning trade, so this is not the best time of the year to be looking for work. A major factor at the moment is the red tape that companies have to go through to sponsor 457's.

Yes, we have seen the delays and red tape on the forum too...

I know this might sound a bit silly, but just as an exercise, try not to focus on the fact that red tape might be an issue (look at how fast CTfamily got their visa for example!) Try also not to think about your job as being redundant in winter (even if that has been your experience.) I am hopeful that if you focus only on getting that job, and block out the counter-productive inner dialog, you might actually attract a job in time!

Just try it..? Bigger and more 'impossible' things have happened... so, it is worth a try...

Sending you LOADS of good thoughts!

Have you tried other states? I am sure somewhere you will find something. Wishing you all the best. I know things will work out. Don't give up hope. Others have managed to find work at the last.

PS why go back to SA? Why not try another country? It is spring now in Europe, maybe you can go work there for a while?

Edited by polly

Hi Dirtbike

A while ago we had dealings with a company in Darwin who was in dire need of a air conditioning people - The company is called Spotless Services and they are all over OZ - They are contracting company who deals with things like cleaning, they do work for the defence force ( RAAF ) in Northern territories and have several other branches elsewhere - i think WA as well - please try and look them up, i am sure that the service you provide is just what they are looking for as they asked me for my asisstance in South Africa to try and source air condintioning mechanics -

I have the person in NT contact details if you are interested.

Keep on trying -

When you least expect it - good things will happen.

Write this on a priece of paper and keep it in your pocket - " I have been blessed with a wonderful position, with sufficient funds, in the right place within the alloted time , it provides for my family and gives me great job satifaction "

Read this often and say it aloud, even if you think it's silly- I am great believer of the law of attraction,

Good luck, Stay strong

Brenda

Edited by Nick&Bren

Hi Dirtbike,

I'm so sorry to hear about your story. This must be very hard for you and your family.

I agree, try to contact companies in smaller towns or try to find some work oveseas...somewhere that's not SA/

Sending you positive energy and wishing you all the best!

Big hugs, :holy:

Michele

Gosh I am so sorry to hear your news.

I suggest you try more country places up North. A girl I worked with and her hubby went to a place called Caroline I think..... He was in the aircon trade too.

Hope you find a sponsor!!!

I would definately also try other states - especially up north!!! DON'T give up!!!!! Get out of the big cities!! Anywhere in Australia is better than back to SA!! And it will be MUCH cheaper too!! I really hope you get something VERY soon. Also, try google!!

This is a hard one for you but I think this might mean its happening for some good reason, a door closes and another one will open. There are quite a few people who have had to go back in this situation and many have settled back pretty well and suprised with oppertunities that came their way, I dont know if you have lots of helpful friends there and your family situation there? My brother and his partner returned to SA also finding it very difficult in NZ and are now happier than ever being back after 5 years now - they will never move again, they had just enough to fly back to SA and lost lots of money moving to NZ - friends and family always will help you out, you have a good head on you and im sure you will make it work for you. But dont give up on those 2 weeks finding something. Good luck and really its not all doom and gloom in SA! Be positive and you will find!

Hi Dirtbike,

We too are on a 457 and worry everyday about something happening with our sponsorship. We wish you all the best.

Candice

Thanks again to everyone for help and advice. This was not my intentions when I started this post... I have been looking and applying for various position over the last 6 weeks throughout Australia and even in New Zealand. Eventually I have to draw the line and rather focus on going back and moving on. This whole saga began about 10 months ago. I had no intentions of moving over to Australia just yet, but I was out of the blue offered a position by a company in Perth. The original offer fell through and then my immigration agent had all of a sudden found another 'sponsor'! It has been a emotional roller coaster for us, and to honest I need a break from it. This is by no means the end of the road for us, I plan on going back to SA and getting everything in order to apply for PR. It just p's me off that there is no form of protection for employee's on a 457 visa, and it is wrong that they can just let the company get away with something like this. I did not loose my job due to economic reasons, I was employed to do work that I had no previous experience with and after 3 weeks I was told that I was not suitable for the position.

This is a hard one for you but I think this might mean its happening for some good reason, a door closes and another one will open. There are quite a few people who have had to go back in this situation and many have settled back pretty well and suprised with oppertunities that came their way, I dont know if you have lots of helpful friends there and your family situation there? My brother and his partner returned to SA also finding it very difficult in NZ and are now happier than ever being back after 5 years now - they will never move again, they had just enough to fly back to SA and lost lots of money moving to NZ - friends and family always will help you out, you have a good head on you and im sure you will make it work for you. But dont give up on those 2 weeks finding something. Good luck and really its not all doom and gloom in SA! Be positive and you will find!

:rolleyes:Thanks Sa2Nz2Oz, this is the motivation I need! You are 100% right, it is not all doom and gloom in SA.

Luckily I have friends and a great family that will be more than willing to help out should I need it.

Edited by dirtbike

Hey - Those TWO furry friends are a WONDERFUL reason to go back to SA. Enjoy them and all the best!!!

good luck dirtbiker,

hopefully you will make your way back to Aus again!!!

Please keep us updated ok.

Dirtbike our thoughts are with you. I hope a miracle happens for you and your family soon.

Candice

Hi Dirtbike,

On your path some doors will open and some will close. Unfortunately one door has close for you and I can guarantee you 100% that something better is waiting for you on the other side! Keep faith my friend!

:D

Let us know how things go Dirtbike.

Thinking of you and your family and holding thumbs!

Dear DirtBike

Just to let you know that my heart goes out to you and your family. Constant change can not be easy. We are standing beside you and your family.

Karina

Dirtbike, you have an amazing outlook about this all!!!

I commend you for not letting negativity consume you...

I wish you and your family all of the very best, and i wish you well with your journey... whether it be Aus or RSA...

Take care,

red

I saw a post on the Sawabona Forum that apparently those on 457's have more rights that they are lead to believe, and you can contest being sent back and get a bridging visa while it is all resolved - the key seems to be that you can't work on the bridging visa, so you need to have the funds to support yourself.

of course, I could be wrong.