PHOTOS

Serendipity

Hi all and Hosts

Would like to put this forward...

Would is be possible to set up a dedicated "photo forum"

There are loads of pics posted on the site but they are spread out all over the place.

Just asking and curious to know what other members think about doing something this.

Edited by Serendipity

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alida

• Serendipity

• Jitterbug

• Omzig

Hi

Definitely for that. Cant think of a better way to pass the time and A picture speaks a thousand words

Karina

Edited by KarinaPer

Good idea, only problem is size on the web server. Don't think they have that much space available

Good idea, only problem is size on the web server. Don't think they have that much space available

If there is a will there is a way.

If space is an issue they can remove pics older than a couple of months, to free space for new ones.

Besides if members haven't seen the pics within a month or two they are not visiting the site often enough

and will miss out on all the bits and pieces of Oz that only members living there know about.

If its possible they could "ban" general text posting and only allow pictures, that will also leave more space open

for members to post only pics with description.

We can work around this by posting the pictures to our picasaweb, photobucket, flickr, etc, accounts and linking them into posts. It works well and takes no space on the server.

Example, link from picasaweb:

IMG_3792.JPG

We can work around this by posting the pictures to our picasaweb, photobucket, flickr, etc, accounts and linking them into posts. It works well and takes no space on the server.

Hey Omzig... A clever lady on the forum told me how to do this the other day... but quick question...Why does it not take up space? Because the photo is still technically there? I know, I know... should have been blonde not red!!! :blush:

Hey Omzig... A clever lady on the forum told me how to do this the other day... but quick question...Why does it not take up space? Because the photo is still technically there? I know, I know... should have been blonde not red!!! :blush:

Red,

in this case the forum database only contains a link (a few text words saying: there is a picture now, but get it from this address....), and your Internet browser automagically knows to request the picture from the other source and fill it in where it's been told to go. It's a distributed system, the data can come from various locations.

hey, Omzig - love that sample photo - is it in Oz ?

Hi Guys

This request has been aired before, but yes, we do not have the space, so Omzig's idea is an excellent one, I suggest you all use it.

The Flickr, Picasa Web is a great idea. Maybe the host can make a special section with a few categories for the different cities or some other category system.

I think there should be a small tutorial on how users can make use of the Flickr, Picasa Web integration.

I did i quick search and the platform that the forum runs on supports photo gallery integration. However i do not know how to implement it :blush:

http://www.invisionpower.com/community/gallery/index.html

Maybe the hosts can look into this?

BEST IDEA I HAVE HEARD ALL DAY..... :blush:;):ilikeit:

Well, if every person can do his/her own photobucket/flickr, then even the old photo's need not to be removed. I suggest a quick tutorial on the use of photobucket / flickr, it's not that hard, as well as linking from the forum.

This will be an absolute wonderful idea.

I'd think that even this topic should be subdivided into areas, like the different territories / states as dividing factor. Then one can go and look at the area that you would like to see.

A subdivision like 'travel' could be added, for when someone travelled 'interstate' and have photo's of more than one area.

Just my 2c

This might help:

Uploading pictures:

From your local machine:

When writing a new post or replying to a topic (not FastReply!) You will get the window below.

uploadpic.jpg

Click on the browse button, select the picture you want and then click on upload. Note that you have a limit to the size of picture.

From a website:

If you use this method you can also insert pictures in FastReply

You can upload your photos to a picture-sharing website, e.g.

http://www.photobucket.com

http://www.flickr.com

Look for the 'Insert Image' icon next to the smiley icon at the top of the post. Click on it and paste the link to the the picture in the text field that appears. Your picture will only show after posting the topic / reply. This method has no limit on size.

This might help:

Uploading pictures:

From your local machine:

When writing a new post or replying to a topic (not FastReply!) You will get the window below.

uploadpic.jpg

Click on the browse button, select the picture you want and then click on upload. Note that you have a limit to the size of picture.

From a website:

If you use this method you can also insert pictures in FastReply

You can upload your photos to a picture-sharing website, e.g.

http://www.photobucket.com

http://www.flikr.com

Look for the 'Insert Image' icon next to the smiley icon at the top of the post. Click on it and paste the link to the the picture in the text field that appears. Your picture will only show after posting the topic / reply. This method has no limit on size.

That's perfect Polly! Very clear and will help everyone to upload their own pics! Doing it via photobucket is easy and as mentioned, does not eat into the available space on the forum.

I second the suggestion of a 'Gallery' section! Perhaps we could have a 'pics from South Africa' and 'Australia' section too? I know that I have some gorgeous pics of the Afrikaans Taal Monument that I'd like to share with forum-mates (amongst other.)

Cheers

Andi

Perfect, Polly - thank you ! No only for a dedicated topic on the forum, then we can have a local forum photo-gallery !!!

I second the suggestion of a 'Gallery' section! Perhaps we could have a 'pics from South Africa' and 'Australia' section too?

I dont think we should deviate from the main reason we are all on this site. . . Australia.

At some point we have or still are living here, its OZ we are interested in to see not SA.

I say no to SA pics - only AU!

Also if its possible the layout should be as follows:

Photo Gallery (main forum)

Then seperate "mini-forums" within this one listing all 7 states.

EG: Click on Northern Territory and ONLY VIEW pics posted from that state

This would rely on Members posting their pics into the correct state though.

What a pleasure if you u just want to see members pics from eg: Tasmania, possibly because

that is where you intend to settle, they are all there under one "mini forum" in the main Photo Gallery

How about that?

Edited by Serendipity

Sounds good !! Can only the Hosts create such a structure, or can anyone ?

Sounds good !! Can only the Hosts create such a structure, or can anyone ?

Assume it would only be the hosts or the people managing the site.

Its unfortunate or i would have done it. haha :blush:

Would recommend under states include 2 sections, one for city (e.g. Melbourne) and one for regional (in here goes all the outlying towns and 'tourist areas' that aren't in the city or suburbs)