What is wrong with Aus?

ZLeigh

I can't wait to experience it for myself... We will probably be launching our DIAC Application next month, but we probably will only be able to go over next year, we are struggling to sell the houses :censored:

We also cannot wait to get over there. I need to write the english test and then the visa application is with the goverment....How long did yours take to get approved??? and then yes, we need to sell the house, but I'm even prepared to stay and sell the house, while hubby goes over and settles in, but it would be best for both to start fresh together.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZLeigh

• IslandStyle

• AndreaL

• Gizmo

Some small pet peeves:

The traffic lights in Perth say red for EVER!!! I swear, you could take out a book and read it if you get caught on red!

The trolleys at the shops wheels all swivel! This makes manoeverbility very tricky and turning near impossible!

If you come from South Africa (whose road rules are almost the same), you have to re-do your car licence - this entails a written exam and a practical driving exam. However, if you come from say Germany where they drive on the other side of the road and follow quite different road rules, your licence is automatically changed to an Aus licence with no testing at all!!!

It is most probably because they know that our centres are full of corrupt officers.....

Some small pet peeves:

The traffic lights in Perth say red for EVER!!! I swear, you could take out a book and read it if you get caught on red!

I actually timed one - 3 minutes on the dot! I couldnt believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One little pet hate now that I think of it - can anyone tell me why there are so many trolleys lieing all over the place ? And there are actually people employed who collect these everyday on the back of utes ? So - Im allowed to push my groceries home and just leave the trolley where I feel like ?

Only if you are a Bogan Lyn :ilikeit:

...what I meant was that (in WA) the master bedroom with en suite bathroom is situated in the front of the house right by the front door closest to the street. If you look out the window of the master bedroom you would look onto the front lawn and onto the street. In the middle of the house is the lounge, kitchen and dining room. The children's bedrooms are situated at the back of the house furthest away from the street. The middle section (lounge kitchen dining room) separating them from the parents.

Family's house in Rowville, VIC is exactly like that.

Edited by IslandStyle

This is such a Saffa attitude!!!!!!! It makes me really angry.

Why do you want to know what is ''wrong'' with Aus? With an attitude like that I can guarantee problems for you. NO place in this world is perfect. I think you should seriously think about why you want to immigrate to Australia. If you are looking for perfect, forget it.

Why do you want to know what is ''wrong'' with Aus? With an attitude like that I can guarantee problems for you. NO place in this world is perfect. I think you should seriously think about why you want to immigrate to Australia. If you are looking for perfect, forget it.

Chill! Its a very valid concern and is not meant in a malicious way. And neither is it an "attitude". As you say Aus is not perfect so why not prepare yourself for the imperfections before you arrive.

What makes settling in incredibly difficult for new arrivals is when you thought Aus was perfect and then have to wake up to the reality if the situation. Combined with homesickness, trying to deal with the imperfections makes you just wanna go home.

For example: last night I was woken up three times by three different hoons doing their wheel spinning. Once at 12am, then 1am and again at 4am. If I knew that this was a reality of Aus before I came, I would have been prepared for it better. As they say, "Forewarned is forearmed".

Australia is a great country and we are priveledged to live here!

I agree absolutely with Jordy, you need to chill out Engel81...this is an absolutely valid question....no good just telling people about the good things in Australia....you have to prepare them for the 'bad' things as well.

Sometimes the 'bad' things can seem so nonsensical, but being woken up by a hoon doing wheelies in front of your house would definitely get to me as well.

We have a neighbour that loves throwing noisy parties...my husband now has the cops on speed dial....when it hits midnight he calls the cops, best thing is, they actually arrive and on at least two occasions they have shut the party down!

I dont think pointing out what gets on your nerves is a problem, its being realistic, there are things everywhere in every country that would annoy people. Yes there are problems but as long as its safe I'm staying!!

I really just want to roll my eyes at comments like this.

Try to think of things from more than one perspective. Imagine you decide to immigrate. You come here for advice and a bit of background on Aus. You find that most of the posts are all sunshine and roses here. You are not sure - are people just saying it is so wonderful because they don't want to admit they made a mistake by leaving SA, or is Aus genuinely the real deal. Hence you post this post to find out. Immigrating is a big deal and it would be incredibly naive to go into the whole thing blind.

I am sure that even you can see that most of the things mentioned in this thread are "quibble" things. If you think a bit about this, it just further shows how wonderful it really is here - because there are no "real" problems!!!

100% to everybody who contributed constructively to this thread. It is a good indicator of what to expect!

NEGATIEWE DINGE IN AUSTRALIA :

Ek is nou amper 11 jaar hier. Ek kan slegs 12 negatiewes in Australia opnoem. En ek het lank gedink …..

a. Slegs 4% Aussies gaan kerk toe. Slegs 9% Aussies trou. Almal woon saam as partners of De Facto’s. Tog is die Aussies behoudend en konserwatief, dink ek.

b. Die aanpassing hier, neem tot 1 jaar lank vir sommige Afrikaners. Dis ‘n ander kultuur, aksent, reels en prosedures.

c. Meeste Aussies (ek ook) wil in die stede of langs die kus woon. Niemand wil in die binneland woon nie.

d. Die Polisie hier is TE STRENG. Veral met padwette is hulle mislik en maak baie geld vir die regering uit motoriste.

e. Die Polisie hier is baie snobisties en onbehulpsaam (my eie opinie). Soms moet jy jou klagtes rig aan die kommissaris, voor jy hulp kry. Hulle gee darem aandag aan gewelds-misdade.

f. As jy hier moet leef met jou RANDE, kan dit gou opraak, want jy spandeer dan teen wisselkoers van 7 keer meer.

g. Die reels en regulasies in Australia (veral die red tape), pla soms. Dis nie so tydrowend soos in SA nie, maar jy loop jou altyd vas teen DIE WET. Die wet is ALLES hier .... Hier kan jy nie (soos in SA) ompaaie probeer volg nie. OF praktieser probeer werk nie. Jy loop jou vas teen DIE WET.

h. Hier is BAIE dwelms. Ek reken dat helfte van alle Aussies al eksperimenteer het met of dwelms of dagga. Kort-kort word tonne gevind (net die punt van die ysberg). Of soms vermoor dwelmhandelaars mekaar in Sydney of Melbourne. Ook sit Aussies oorsee in dodeselle, vir dwelmsmokkel daar.

i. SA-ners geniet dikwels topposisies in SA, soos Executives, Bestuurders en Lektore. Hier moet hulle ongelukkig tuimel in status en selfs as klerk oor begin. Hierdie status-verlies is traumaties en vernederend vir baie.

j. Alle SA-ners se status tuimel baie hier. Die Aussies is NIE snobisties of status-bewus NIE. Dus kry die tipiese “Mevrou Dominees†hier BAIE swaar, in terme van status- en identiteit-verlies.

k. Australia is ongelukkig deel van die Vlugtelingprogram van die VVO. Ongelukkig MOET ons elke jaar ‘n sekere getal vlugtelinge inneem. Die Asians pas baie goed hier aan. Ongelukkig is hier vanaf Julie 2005 nou 10 000 Noord-Afrika swartes in die hele land ingevat. Hulle vestig almal in die stede. Ons sal outomaties nog baie probleme van hulle ervaar vorentoe. Hulle sal ons oor 50 jaar uit-teel en oorvat met getalle. Die goeie nuus is : hulle is tans nog bitter min teenoor die 20 miljoen witmense hier.

l. Australia het ongelukkig nou al honderdduisende Asiate. Meeste is Chinese en Indiers. Die goeie nuus is dat een derde van hulle toeriste is, een derde is studente en een derde woon hier. Die slegte nuus is dat hulle oor 20 jaar ‘n groot faktor gaan wees hier.

This is such a Saffa attitude! It makes me really angry.

I more or less understand what you're probably trying to say but I think you're seeing/saying it a bit wrong here. It's not a 'South African-only' thing, it's not an attitude thing or only has to do with emigration - please refrain from profiling. Perhaps if the title was rather named to something in the direction of 'What would you prefer to have differently in Aus?'.

You are right, no single place is perfect, but people weigh different factors up to ultimately find the 'near-perfect', or rather most suitable place, at a given point in time for a given set of current circumstances.

Either you're not going to Australia, or you already know what to expect or you don't care what to experience once you're there.

...Aus is not perfect so why not prepare yourself for the imperfections before you arrive?

What makes settling in incredibly difficult for new arrivals is when you thought Aus was perfect and then have to wake up to the reality if the situation. Combined with homesickness, trying to deal with the imperfections makes you just wanna go home.

Australia is a great country and we are privileged to live here!

Well said.

Edited by IslandStyle

Mmmm

What can I say, we have now given a really good idea to all those in South Africa about what "sucks" and where there is room for "improvement" in Australia.

So I really want to point out one of the things I think is "right" about Australia.

Acceptance- the willingness to take in foreigners, and that includes Brits, South Africans,North Africans, Asians and so forth.

In an earlier post regarding migration statistics by country, India ranked top with 22%, South Africa was around 4%

Thank goodness they are willing to accept us and accomodate us into their "diverse" culture.

Australia has always been at the forefront of womens rights- the right to vote etc and is years ahead of other countries with regard to recognition and legal rights for same sex partners.

This and many other accepted "norms" of Australian society may be hard for some people to swallow, but that is the reality of living in Australia- and if you can't then it isn't the right place for you.

In this very forum, we have many de facto partnerships, a few same sex partnerships and some Chinese, Indian, Black,dual national ( me) forum members and an array of religious beliefs or none at all-who are all South African and all contribute in an intelligent and meaningful way to this forum.

Again,Thank goodness Australia is willing to accept us all into their " diverse" culture.

NEGATIEWE DINGE IN AUSTRALIA:

Ek is nou amper 11 jaar hier. Ek kan slegs 12 negatiewes in Australia opnoem. En ek het lank gedink...

Dankie, dis 'n goeie stukkie inligting wat 'n heel ander 'insig' toon - ek dink die 11 jaar het dalk daarmee te doen. ;]

Ek moeg bieg, daar is so 2 of 3 dinge wat jy genoem het wat my ietwat bekommerd maak...

Coert, I hear what you're saying, and sometimes being "over-regulated" can be a pain in the *ss, but...coming from Africa I really welcome the structure and rules - however trivial they may seem sometimes!

Just knowing that my kids can live in a (predominantly) lawful society and have their faith in mankind restored (they have seen more than children should see) is a huge PLUS for our family.

We have always made a point of doing the right thing to teach our children how to be responsible citizens, but it becomes increasingly difficult to encourage and re-inforce good behaviour patterns when the world is going crazy around you, and you can't even trust the police! It is so easy to regress rather than progress when lawlessness prevails...and unfortunately that's the scenario in Africa these days...

zorba

The food is very bland (except Hungry Jacks' Woppa Cheese Burgers). The water (Adelaide) is terrible. Fashion is terrible. Dental Care is lacking. Hair style is shocking. The TV adds are excessive and sometimes really stupid. Sport commentators are extremely one-sided (but we knew that). It is EXPENSIVE.

BUT

It is safe! It is not crowded. There are no kombi Taxis. People drive decently and keep to the speed limit (mostly as it is very costly if you dont). People dont drink and drive.

The water in Perth also tastes terrible!! Best thing we ever bought is a Brita water filter jug, best bucks we have spent.

Ever been to watch a movie were everybody says it REALLY SUCKS. Almost always ends up being way better than what you expected then!

This way simply helps to remove the little things that have disappointed others....

Some small pet peeves:

The trolleys at the shops wheels all swivel! This makes manoeverbility very tricky and turning near impossible!

If you come from South Africa (whose road rules are almost the same), you have to re-do your car licence - this entails a written exam and a practical driving exam. However, if you come from say Germany where they drive on the other side of the road and follow quite different road rules, your licence is automatically changed to an Aus licence with no testing at all!!!

Just wanted to add that I was held-up at a 'longer than normal' traffic light today and while I was sitting there I was thinking about this topic, and boy was I thankful that we are priviledged to be held-up by a red traffic light with unlocked doors, kids windows down and my handbag on the front passenger seat. (Not held-up by gun point, infront of my kids, for my handbag...)

We love Australia, we love every aspect of it, even the LAW, because I know that is the reason why it is safer for me and my family.

Australia might not be for everybody, and yes, you will propably find lots of problems if you look for them.

Louise

NEGATIEWE DINGE IN AUSTRALIA :

Ek is nou amper 11 jaar hier. Ek kan slegs 12 negatiewes in Australia opnoem. En ek het lank gedink …..

a. Slegs 4% Aussies gaan kerk toe. Slegs 9% Aussies trou. Almal woon saam as partners of De Facto’s. Tog is die Aussies behoudend en konserwatief, dink ek.

b. Die aanpassing hier, neem tot 1 jaar lank vir sommige Afrikaners. Dis ‘n ander kultuur, aksent, reels en prosedures.

c. Meeste Aussies (ek ook) wil in die stede of langs die kus woon. Niemand wil in die binneland woon nie.

d. Die Polisie hier is TE STRENG. Veral met padwette is hulle mislik en maak baie geld vir die regering uit motoriste.

e. Die Polisie hier is baie snobisties en onbehulpsaam (my eie opinie). Soms moet jy jou klagtes rig aan die kommissaris, voor jy hulp kry. Hulle gee darem aandag aan gewelds-misdade.

f. As jy hier moet leef met jou RANDE, kan dit gou opraak, want jy spandeer dan teen wisselkoers van 7 keer meer.

g. Die reels en regulasies in Australia (veral die red tape), pla soms. Dis nie so tydrowend soos in SA nie, maar jy loop jou altyd vas teen DIE WET. Die wet is ALLES hier .... Hier kan jy nie (soos in SA) ompaaie probeer volg nie. OF praktieser probeer werk nie. Jy loop jou vas teen DIE WET.

h. Hier is BAIE dwelms. Ek reken dat helfte van alle Aussies al eksperimenteer het met of dwelms of dagga. Kort-kort word tonne gevind (net die punt van die ysberg). Of soms vermoor dwelmhandelaars mekaar in Sydney of Melbourne. Ook sit Aussies oorsee in dodeselle, vir dwelmsmokkel daar.

i. SA-ners geniet dikwels topposisies in SA, soos Executives, Bestuurders en Lektore. Hier moet hulle ongelukkig tuimel in status en selfs as klerk oor begin. Hierdie status-verlies is traumaties en vernederend vir baie.

j. Alle SA-ners se status tuimel baie hier. Die Aussies is NIE snobisties of status-bewus NIE. Dus kry die tipiese “Mevrou Dominees†hier BAIE swaar, in terme van status- en identiteit-verlies.

k. Australia is ongelukkig deel van die Vlugtelingprogram van die VVO. Ongelukkig MOET ons elke jaar ‘n sekere getal vlugtelinge inneem. Die Asians pas baie goed hier aan. Ongelukkig is hier vanaf Julie 2005 nou 10 000 Noord-Afrika swartes in die hele land ingevat. Hulle vestig almal in die stede. Ons sal outomaties nog baie probleme van hulle ervaar vorentoe. Hulle sal ons oor 50 jaar uit-teel en oorvat met getalle. Die goeie nuus is : hulle is tans nog bitter min teenoor die 20 miljoen witmense hier.

l. Australia het ongelukkig nou al honderdduisende Asiate. Meeste is Chinese en Indiers. Die goeie nuus is dat een derde van hulle toeriste is, een derde is studente en een derde woon hier. Die slegte nuus is dat hulle oor 20 jaar ‘n groot faktor gaan wees hier.

Omtrent elke ding wat jy hier in jou lys het Coert, sien ek as POSITIEWE dinge!

Hi Coert

My seun is in n staats skool vir begaafde kinders in Queensland. Daar is 300 kinders in die skool. Slegs 50 van die kinders is blank. Die res is van Chinese en Indiese families. Die werketiek en gedrag van hierdie kinders is uitsonderlik.My seun se beste vriende is een n Muslim en die ander n Korean van geboorte. Hulle is so Australiaans as wat kan kom, en is die wonderlikste jong mans. Vir my is die een van grootste plusse van Australie- dat my seun kan meng met all rasse en gelowe en glad nie dink hulle is anders nie. Vir hom is hulle maar net sy pelle. :ilikeit:

Yea, I could have chosen a better topic, couldnt I?

well,anyway, thank you everybody for all your contributions. I agree with whoever said that forewarned is forarmed, I do want to prepare myself for everything that might come my way when we get there. Immigrating is scary enough.

Hopefully this post will make all of us, who are still in SA, a little more aware of what awaits us.

I am very happy about how accepting the Aussies is. I would think they would be upset becoz all the saffers come over and steal their jobs!

How great is it to be so accepted in a different country, when I dont even feel welcome in my own?

I want my kids (when we have any) to be accepting of other cultures and other races, and not stuck in this racist rut that seems to grab hold of all saffers.

I have to say I also think this is a good point for discussion. One thing ... it doesn't really bug me but I just can't comprehend the dress sense ... or lack there off! Who sent out the memo that black and brown goes together?! They should be hanged from the Harbour Bridge!!! And hear me out ... I get off the bus in Sydney CBD, merrily making my way to my office and suddenly I pass a man in 'n beautiful black suit, WEARING LIGHT BROWN SHOES!!!!! Not two blocks further I see a woman getting out of a cab, in a beautiful black designer corporate suit ("snyerspakkie") WEARING BROWN HIGH HEALS". I see numerous people every day that got that "Brown shoes are allowed with a black outfit" memo!!! And yes, Michael Jackson’s white socks with the black pants and black shoes also rear its hideous head on the odd occasion. My pap nier!!!!

Yeah, maybe you can't have it all! The safety, good weather, and a dress sense ... or maybe I should move to Melbourne! Hear that is the fashion capital of the country!

But well, I still luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuve Sydney!

PS: My contribution on the lighter side of things!

"Yea, I could have chosen a better topic, couldnt I?"

Hi ZLeigh, I have messed up the reply so my part is in bold

Nothing wrong with the topic at all!

I think you got some really good responses and I agree that it is wise to prepare yourself in any way possible.

"I am very happy about how accepting the Aussies is. I would think they would be upset becoz all the saffers come over and steal their jobs!"

Really there aren't that many South Africans and remember we aren't stealing jobs, just filling in where there are skills shortages.

How great is it to be so accepted in a different country, when I dont even feel welcome in my own?

"I want my kids (when we have any) to be accepting of other cultures and other races, and not stuck in this racist rut that seems to grab hold of all saffers"

I believe that the majority of people on this forum are accepting and the few that have issues have their own reasons for being that way and that racism, xenophobia and cultural intolerance isn't just a South African thing........[/quote]

Edited by AndreaL

One other small thing...

Way-finding systems... AKA a good signage system. It is really poor here. I am not talking about road signage. I am talking about informational signage at any public place, for example at malls, zoos, public precincts etc.

This is something that is really good in SA (at least in Cape Town anyway). At the majority of public precincts in the Cape, you never see signage unless you need it. In other words, it doesn't cause visual clutter, but when you need to find a toilet, the signage will be placed strategically in appropriate spots. This just desn't happen here. You need to be familiar with the place to know where things are - this makes it very user-unfriendly to new-comers and visitors.