What is wrong with Aus?

ZLeigh

Ok, so everybody keeps on going on about how fantastic Aus is. It has to be, I'm going also.

BUT

Nothing is perfect.

So what would you say is bad, sucks, or has room for improvement in Aus?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZLeigh

• IslandStyle

• AndreaL

• Gizmo

Nothing is perfect as you said and I'm happy to live with whatever problems Australia has.

They're insignificant and more of an irritation than anything else.

This country is as good as it gets!

Telstra is Aus version of Telkom. They are 10 times bigger though and on their worst day are beter than Telkom any day.

Their online banking systems are not as advanced as SA in some aspects.

They have Foxtel and Austar which are equivalent to DSTV...not quite as good as DSTV, but many better programmes.

Housing is expensive.

Food is more expensive than SA. But not everything.

People generally avoid eye contact, but once you engage them, you will not meet a more friendly and helpful bunch anywhere in the world.

The SUN is merciless here!!!

They have box jellyfish and erachungi (excuse spelling).

Too many gum trees...

Too much choice...of everything.

I am sure I will be finding a lot more "bad" things...but all I can say is..THE SERVICE, ATTITUDE, CLEANLINESS, FRIENDLINESS AND HELPFULNESS here is far better than SA.

I can't wait to experience it for myself... We will probably be launching our DIAC Application next month, but we probably will only be able to go over next year, we are struggling to sell the houses :ilikeit:

We have been here about 7 months, and I truly can find small faults with the country, but as big or as small as a fault is, its not about that its about Aus not being home, or where we come from, every person in this world will reckon their home country is home... (cos its familiar, its what u know)

Unfortunate for us we have all been forced to leave , some Saffers will argue this, but its the truth we were forced out, so to make Aus your new Home comes to some very easily and others not so easy....

I was 100% in favour of coming, I pushed for it, and now I see the impact it has on us as the adults, our kids have adjusted well Thank God, there has been LOTS of bullying, but I guess thats the norm, we the new people in town....

When comapring Aus to Sa on technology, what SA has to offer as a country etc SA wins HANDS DOWN!!!!!

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! THE crime, and the corruption and the lack of a consistent strong economy puts us in the dark ages....

Hence we have become the second "GREAT TREK"

If we moved as FAMILIES...ek bedoel ALMAL ..Oupa , Ouma sissie boetie... etc etc

Then Aus would be perfect , it for us is how SA was about 20 -25 years ago...now also dont be naive there is crime here too and climbing as it appears, but not to our crazy level....

So I guess the real reason people may fault Aus is cos it's NOT home, it's unfamiliar, we have no history we have no family we just seem to be floating bubbles in a numb abyss ...just counting the days till it all feels normal and we fit in, waiting for family and friends to make the move too.....

tx everybody for your replies.

I just want to prepare myself mentally for the great move. We should leave in a few months, as soon as my spouse visa is cleared, but i am also known to over prepare! lol

I am sure most of us feel that, besides all the bad things about aus, its' still better than here.

I (Leon) am not stressed about moving at all. I have done this once before from Zimbabwe to SA. And I do not call Zim my home........ZIM..whats that..lol

I don't think I will have a problem adjusting.......looking forward to it....can't wait......

I agree with you Leon

I can not wait to get my butt out of this country to somewhere, where we can make a better life for

Ok, so everybody keeps on going on about how fantastic Aus is. It has to be, I'm going also.

BUT

Nothing is perfect.

So what would you say is bad, sucks, or has room for improvement in Aus?

Hi ZLeigh

Using the 'search' function (top right-hand corner) when logged in, you are able to search previous threads on topics.

Previous threads pertaining to the 'negatives' of Australia:

Negative

People returning from Oz

Comments of Australia

Why NOT Australia?

Wat is die negatiewe dinge in Oz?

To go or not to go

Honest feelings...any regrets?

Are we being truthful and realistic? Pollyannas-r-us ?

Also have a look at these threads:

Reasons for leaving - more about the negatives of SA for a bit of perspective

Dealing with culture shock

Journey to being Australian

Edited by kangaroo

Not Telstra's bad service, the less than perfect bank system, all the red tape or any of the 'bad' things in Aus will kill me! But that house robber, or car highjacker, or incompetent goverment in SA might (have ... fortunate enough to live in Sydney already!)

The only thing wrong is that I couldn't fit my friends and family in my suitcases!

The rest in my opinion, is about where you end up. The area where we live, there is no graffiti, no hoons etc.

Edited to add - everything for us has been so efficient... except Telstra. Still, its better than Telkom...

Edited by Gizmo

There will always be things you wont like, but you only need to look at what are the most desirable cities in the world to live in and pretty much nearly every major city in Aus appears in the top 50.

Mercer Consutling Top cities to live in - 5 Aussie cities featue in top50 with Sydney and Mel in top 20

UN report on best places to live - Little bit out of datebut gives you a good idea.

If you look at the key criteria that countries are measured on then that tells a story of its own as to why majority of people enjoy living in Aus. I said majority and not all because in some scenarios those little things that people dont like sometimes become really big things and probably better that they did not stay

Just my 2c worth

Rgds

Matman

I read the Australian newspaper's online version everyday. The great part is that at the bottom there is links to all the states other newspapers with the highlights.

Lately I've noticed however that there is a bigger chance for you to be attacked by a shark than a person.

I still can't wait to get to Australia but I think I'll reconsider packing my wetsuite.... :rolleyes:

I cant say I have found anything "wrong" with Australia.

Maybe a little "over regulated" but thats the main reason I left SA - it was lawless - so adjusting to a law abiding society is a little tougher for some of us, especially keeping within the speed limits. Hubby had his first fine - going about 10km over the limit $223,00.

I once heard the following from an ex Saffer:

The worst thing about Australia? All the rules and regulations.

The best thing about Australia? All the rules and regulations!

I'm trying to answer the question "what's wrong with Aus?" and I'm going to rephrase it to: "what do I struggle with in Aus?"

Schoolkids (teenagers) - they can be feral

Hoons - there goes my blood pressure

The parking garage in Queens st, Freo

KRudd - reminds of Ritchie Rich and has such an awful voice

Dealer and delivery charges on cars - just tell me how much you want for the thing, ok

The soft stance on whale hunting

Stone age technology

Hoon is a derogatory term used in Australia and New Zealand to refer to a person who engages in loutish, anti-social behaviour. In particular, it is used to refer to one who drives in a manner which is anti-social by the standards of contemporary society, that is, fast, noisily or dangerously. Hoon activities can include speeding, street racing, burnouts, doughnuts or screeching brakes.[1] Those commonly identified as being involved in "hooning" or street racing are young, predominantly male drivers in the age range of 16 and 25 years.[2]

Source-wikepedia

And the good thing is you can phone the police and report them, remember to take down the license number and you can photograph them whilst hooning on your mobile and the police can use this as evidence.

They can now have their cars impounded too.

Edited by AndreaL

Hoons are the idiots (young and ancient) who drive around in their bright coloured (not always) (neon green, orange,purple ) utes (bakkies), making doughnuts and revving those engines. We have just had Summernats in Canberra and they arrived from all over Australia in their thousands. My hubby went with my son (15 years) after a few hours they left as it was getting very loud and below the belt (wont elaborate further !!!)

I once heard the following from an ex Saffer:

The worst thing about Australia? All the rules and regulations.

The best thing about Australia? All the rules and regulations!

I'm trying to answer the question "what's wrong with Aus?" and I'm going to rephrase it to: "what do I struggle with in Aus?"

Schoolkids (teenagers) - they can be feral

Hoons - there goes my blood pressure

The parking garage in Queens st, Freo

KRudd - reminds of Ritchie Rich and has such an awful voice

Dealer and delivery charges on cars - just tell me how much you want for the thing, ok

The soft stance on whale hunting

Stone age technology

Very well put Cindylou!!

Aus is not perfect. Graffiti and hoons also upset me but that's about all that really bothers me. At least graffiti is cleared weekly but the waste of taxpayers money in clearing and the "slap on the wrist attitude" towards graffiti idiots is what upsets me.

About the banking system: I don't know why anyone would complain about the banking system in Aus though. Internet banking is free and bank fees a flat $5 per month. In SA I paid about R280 bank fees per month plus a R19 Internet banking fee (2003).

Also, from Australia I can transfer funds to any overseas bank account from any location (even my sofa), via internet banking . This is not possible from SA. You cannot transfer money except through Reserve bank approval which is a pain in the backside.

I would lreally like to hear why people complain about Aus banks. I honestly don't know why. To me it is light years ahead to what I had in SA (Standard Bank Prestige account). Maybe only particular banks? I am with ANZ and it's the best bank I've ever been with.

I am in Canada for the next 2 year and miss Perth and the whole of AUS BIG BIG TIME!!! For me AUS is home. No damn doubt!

PhillipJ