Will you return to South Africa?

Riekie

Will you return to South Africa?  

529 members have voted

1. 1. What would best describe your thoughts about returning to South Africa?

• Never Ever!!
    • Might consider it if crime is addressed
    • Might consider it if other issues are addressed
    • I'm considering it already...
    • I made a mistake to emigrate - I'm going back ASAP!
    • Only to visit
    • Unsure if I will

Question

There's a lot of (conflicting) talk about South Africans returning to South Africa. I was just wondering what the reality is. As you know, the forum polls on SAAustralia are all 100% anonymous, so please make your tick.....

Heaven only knows.... I feel quite "safe" at home but have not been a victim of crime here....yet! Perhaps she has and that is why she is quite particular about security....

Gelukkig gaan ons die eerste 2 jaar nie genoeg geld he om terug te kom nie so ONS MOET DIT MAAK WERK. Na 2 jaar sal ons nie wil terug kom nie.

Probleem opgelos.!!!!!lol

They should add an option to the poll -

'Not even if I was dragged behind a submarine with fireworks up my bum'

So no. Never. :whome:

Spitfire - I love reading your posts, they are hysterical! :) You have a fantastic use of imagery and yes, I think when I get to Aus then that will be my option too.

Is there a new thread to this poll would love to see a fresh poll now in view of the up coming elections and all of the people who voted earliar have travelled a way down the long and winding road of life.....

DBR

Just make a note of the current poll status and monitor how it changes. Polls are much more effective if they are not split - keeping a "running total". Always interesting to see how major events in RSA affects the figures.

I noticed that too - Maybe its the "I made a mistake to immigrate - im going back ASAP" one for you.

See you're originally from Dubs - have a safe flight back.

All the best Richard for your new life in SA.

Jill

Noticed on another thread, seems Richard is off to England - or am I having a blonde moment ?

Not sure Lyn, he mentioned the sun and Oxford, not sure the sun shines in the UK :ilikeit:

Jill

If there was an option:

I wish with all my heart I can go back but I can't

then that's the one I would've chosen.

I've been away for five years ... and over the past month or so the yearning for some things have been terribly overpowering. Delayed culture shock in my case I think too. I was fine for at least the first 3 years (or so I told myself perhaps). Of course, I realise that things probably changed a lot in 5 years time and I'm not romanticising SA but that doesn't make the longing and accepting that I can't go back any easier.

Oh Melrie, :)

Why dont you go back for a short visit - maybe like Polly and some other forumites you may come to realise that Australia is home.

I have chatted to many family and friends who have left SA and gone back a few years later - not one has told me the place has improved and they will be moving back. Maybe you just need to see it for yourself. I understand this may be sad, I too love Africa and always will.

Hope you start feeling a little happier soon.

Oh Melrie, :)

Why dont you go back for a short visit - maybe like Polly and some other forumites you may come to realise that Australia is home.

I have chatted to many family and friends who have left SA and gone back a few years later - not one has told me the place has improved and they will be moving back. Maybe you just need to see it for yourself. I understand this may be sad, I too love Africa and always will.

Hope you start feeling a little happier soon.

Thanks Lyn ^_^

I, however am in NZ and I'm hoping to go to Aus eventually. Currently just asking myself whether it will be any better or whether I am trying to run away from something 'within myself'. Guaranteed the weather, job opportunities (post recession) and development will be better I think - MY opinion only perhaps. But then, it is true that many, many South Africans that come to NZ eventually move on to Aus. In fact, when we arrived here a few locals (with an accusatory tone) stated that "South Africans just use NZ citizenship to get into Aus". I was determined not to be one of them. :ilikeit: Anyway, that's off topic.

I went back to SA for a visit in Jan 2007 but spent all my time in Pretoria where all my friends and family are. It's the wild life, the smell of a hardekool fire, the smell of rain and dust, the hadedas and other bird sounds, good South African artists whose shows I always went to see, the South African humour etc that I miss. Can't say the thought of Pretoria or any other South African city makes me nostalgic as such. More the ability to visit a game reserve, sit around a big fire and talk to friends that truly know you. I personally find NZ very, very boring but that's MY experience and others love it here. It may depend on where in SA you lived. To me, NZ has a very plattelandse and isolated feel to it. Anyway, back to the grindstone ... I'm still grateful to be out of SA.

Edited by Melrie

The sounds and the smells are what I miss most about home, I miss the smell of the Durban rain in summer...

You do what feels right for you - there will always be people with their own opinions - if it means getting citizenship to get to Aus thats what you do. I have heard a lot of people say that NZ is rather isolated and "quiet" and yet others just love it. We are all different. The pics I have seen of NZ look lovely. I would think that Australia being so huge would have more to offer. Just my 2c.

The SA bush, hadedas and camp fires - I dont believe your love of these things will ever fade - they are good memories and should be treasured.

Candice, I too love the rain - what I would do to see some rain - Anyone know a rain dance ? Havent had rain in weeks, everything dry and brown. Hard for a Durban chick whose used to lush green vegetation.

Going off topic here, but for me at this stage - No i wont return to SA to live.

I leave Australia next Sunday ...

why is there not a YES box to tick ?

YES dont count :rolleyes:

Jokes aside the facts are all here http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/

Anything you can think of with a bit of searching. It appears less than 1% of South Africans ever leave

Thanks LeeInOz for the interesting link.

The statistics state that over the year (2007-2008) only 291 people departed permanently for South Africa (5166 SA-born people arrived permanently in Australia during this period). However, 589 South African born people departed Australia permanently for another country. Hence it appears that at least half of the South Africans that leave Australia don't return to South Africa. Of the 291 people who leave Australia for SA, some may not be SA-born thus reducing the percentage of South Africans returning to SA even further.

The statistics state that over the year (2007-2008) only 291 people departed permanently for South Africa (5166 SA-born people arrived permanently in Australia during this period). However, 589 South African born people departed Australia permanently for another country. Hence it appears that at least half of the South Africans that leave Australia don't return to South Africa. Of the 291 people who leave Australia for SA, some may not be SA-born thus reducing the percentage of South Africans returning to SA even further.

What about people who simply leave the country without informing the government? I've heard that a lot of SAns leave SA without officially declaring their intentions; could they have the same approach if some of them leave Oz/Nz/UK/Canada, etc?

I do believe that most SAns who emigrate, don't return to SA, but stats can be misleading.

Thanks for the link LeeInOz!

Much appreciated! :ilikeit:

What about people who simply leave the country without informing the government? I've heard that a lot of SAns leave SA without officially declaring their intentions; could they have the same approach if some of them leave Oz/Nz/UK/Canada, etc?

I do believe that most SAns who emigrate, don't return to SA, but stats can be misleading.

I hear what you are getting at....

Maybe some of the formanites are more informed....

My opinion....

Don't you think that with all the controls and tax declarations in Australia the Australian Government is more able to make accurate statistics available to the world?

I think it's very much a personal choice ...it's a bit like expecting everybody to listen to and enjoy all of Michael Jackson's music...

I think everybody that has ever heard Michael Jackson has "a song" they enjoy and "a song" they hate.

I enjoy both South Africa and Australia but I have chosen to move to Australia and live there.

Hilton

Ek sal NOOIT OOIT WEER in SA gaan woon nie. Ek sal dalk gaan kuier nog, maar ek besef dit word net eenvoudig al hoe gevaarliker daar. Dalk is hierdie my heel laaste kuier daar. Maar daar gaan WOON? Nooit !!! Al verloor ek ook alles in Oz. Ek is liewer 'n boemelaar in Brisbane, as 'n boemelaar in SA ........